Mothering Forum banner

Managing Gestational Diabetes risk with nutrition in early pregnancy?

848 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rachelette 
#1 ·
I have PCOS and was on metformin to restore my cycle until my MD confirmed the pregnancy. Now I am no longer on it, and know that I am at an increased risk of gestational diabetes because of the PCOS, as well as the fact that I am overweight, not exercising and have a genetic predisposition to it.

I'm 8.5 weeks in right now, and still pretty nauseous, but one of the things that I am really eating to help me manage that is fruit. I love mangos, strawberries, blueberries, pears, pineapple.... In addition, I'm drinking 8 oz of cranberry juice to reduce risks of UTIs etc.

And embarassingly, when I feel really nauseous, I will reach for my husband's cereal or my granola, which is high in fat and sugar.

Does anyone have good resources for GD management and going sugar-free?

#3 ·
I don't know a lot about it, but I would venture a guess that you don't need to worry too much during the first tri when you're feeling so sick. I would eat whatever you can. Once you start feeling better, then I would watch your diet more rigorously. I would also suggest x-posting this in the "I'm Pregnant" forum for more answers.

#4 ·
I had GD with my first baby, so with my second I went a bit overboard and basically followed the South Beach Diet Phase 2 for the first two trimesters. I avoided GD completely, but then I also didn't gain much weight at all in the first two trimesters either. I'm now pregnant with #3 and trying to remember very hard what the South Beach Diet actually is ;) I'm craving meat and no sweet things at all, so I think I'm safe for a while!

After all that, I think part of the difference was possibly that I was 7 lbs heavier when pregnant the first time. I'm only 5ft, so that's a pretty big difference for me!

#5 ·
How do you cross post to the "I'm Pregnant" forum?

Thanks everyone for the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.