Living in Mexico and worried about some things - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-11-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So I'm 11 weeks with #5. 5!!! We're currently living in Mexico--we've been here for a month and we'll be here for another 2. In some ways this is the ideal place to wait out my 1st trimester--we have a maid who comes 3 times a week, for $12 a day!, the kids are in school half days (normally I homeschool, but we want them to learn the language) and all the hustle and bustle of regular life is gone. I even send the laundry out to be done!

But here are the issues. I can't stand the food here. Just the thought of tortillas is enough to make me dry heave. No Mexican food, ever. I've been very very m/s, and all the normal foods that I would eat are just not available here.

All day today I've been incredibly shaky and exhausted. I can barely stand up and I'm just feeling weird. I'm probably super anemic. The meat here in the stores makes me kinda nervous, so I just don't buy it. No dark leafy greens, no Floradix--none of the things that I would think of doing at home.

So what do I do? How do I get some iron into my blood, and in a way that is compatible with the never-ending m/s and the food supply in Mexico?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think you should eat whatever seems palatable for you at all. You don't want to put your wellbeing at risk because your lack of appetite. Can you make smoothies with yogurt and fruit? Are you taking vitamins?

Be well. Once your in your second tri, your appetite should come back. :)

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#3 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I have friends who live in Northern Baja Calif, Mexico and I enjoy visiting them. I don't know what part of Mex you are living in, but I'm quite impressed with the amount of produce they have available to them. They eat raw, along with some carefully sourced cooked meats. (Unusual diet, I know.) Whenever I visit, I enjoy eating lots of avocados, coconut, pineapple, and mango with them. Since they eat raw, there isn't a bean or tortilla to be found in their house. They eat salads, too, but if you're like me right now, lettuce isn't so good. For protein, you could try lentils with maybe a bit of olive oil and some avocado. If you eat animal products, would a small piece of fresh fish, grilled outdoors to keep the smell away, be do-able?

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#4 of 7 Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Can you do scrambled eggs? I think many women can't, but it's one of the most palatable things to me right now. Cook them in a cast iron skillet to increase the iron content a little bit more, and eat it up with some avacados and fruit.

#5 of 7 Old 04-14-2011, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice. I'm eating a lot of eggs, but don't have any cast iron pans to cook with here. I get tons of fruit here (the mangos are soooooo wonderful!). I'm eating mostly fruit, eggs, and carbs. Oh, and flan. Love that! Eating for m/s has been tricky, but doable. It's the iron thing that's thrown me this week.

I made my husband take me out for some black beans at a restaurant, and I got some iron pills from the pharmacy. They're not what I'd take in the States (pretty harsh on my stomach), but it's something. The day after I took them I could feel a difference. So hopefully everything will be ok. It just scared me to realize that there was a slight problem, and I couldn't solve it the way I normally would at home. But, I'm down to throwing up only once a day now, so hopefully there's light at the end of this first trimester tunnel and I will live!!

#6 of 7 Old 04-15-2011, 03:16 PM

raisins are also high in iron, you could try granola. Also, some processed cereals. Don't know where in Mexico you are, but if you are in a city, there should be a big grocery with more american style foods available. If you're in a vlilage, you're pretty much SOL :(.

#7 of 7 Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 PM

Pumpkin seeds, other nuts, eggs. If there is a decent market, I'd get a beef roast and cook it on low all day.  Maybe canned meat?

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page