Raw Milk Drinkers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going to be adding in some raw milk for our son and in our state it's illegal to sell besides for animal use.. I found a farm within an hours drive but wanted some advice on what you all think or your experiences. Would flash pasteurizing negate the benefits of using raw milk? All the farms only offering it for animal use seems to me a way to get around the legalities of human consumption but are the animals treated the same way? We're looking at a small family farm that makes cheeses and soaps that sells the raw milk.. I know this is pregnancy related but figured from some of your signatures you might know..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I would never dream of pasturizing raw milk!  I have my own dairy goats and we all drink raw goats milk on a daily basis.  I have no idea if the animals are treated the same though.. I think it's worth checking out the dairy and taking a little tour.  Good luck.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#3 of 5 Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I think that's what I'll do just to feel more secure about the source since it is being labeled pet use only.. Any tips on what to look for or questions to ask?

Thanks for your reply. This is my first time going with raw milk so I'm everyone is giving me a million different suggestions.

#4 of 5 Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'd ask them what their standards are vs. a regular dairy farm.  I bet that their standards are higher, even though they only sell 'pet' milk.  I'm sure someone there will be willing to give you info, people who drink raw milk are usually passionate about it's benefits.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#5 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 01:06 PM

Ask (or watch) their milking routine and facility. Ask how often they test the milk, and for what. Where, how fast it is cooled. Type of bottles (if reuseable, ask/look for their sanitizer, etc) If they are making cheese to sell, then they muct have some food/sanitry laws they must follow, and hopefully appy that to the 'pet' milk as well. Ask what they do with and for sick animals.

And work your way up slowly, quantity wise. Don't jump right into 3 8oz  glasses a day. Start with a 1/2 glass or two, and go from there. There are lots of new enzymes and pre/probiotics you body hasn't been used to!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page