For the sake of babe, what did you give up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought this would be a fun thread to vent about all the things we had to forsake when we got the positives.

This is my list, some are plain silly due to paranoia, but others are obvious.

Wine/Martini Fridays

Deodorant 

A natural blood pressure supplement I was taking

Herbs for anxiety

Firming cream for my face

upper lip bleaching

pain killers (advil)

truedat.gif

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#2 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With my first pregnancy I gave up all sorts of things (sugar, soft cheese, coffee), now that I'm on #3 I'm a bit more relaxed..

I've given up:

alcohol

raw fish

cleaning the cat litter

I've cut back on coffee, mostly because it doesn't sound good right now

I normally eat a very healthy diet anyway, so I don't really need to change much.  I rarely wear deodorant or take any unusual herbs that aren't pregnancy safe anyway..

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#3 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 AM

OH how I miss my herbs- I used Slippery Elm Bark for stomach and bladder ulcers, but it causes spontaneous abortion so I obviously quit taking it.  Boy, have I paid for it.

I actually gave up caffeine this time, for the first time.  I shamefully love my diet soda.

It also seems I have given up cleaning the house lol.gif 

augustmom likes this.

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#4 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post
It also seems I have given up cleaning the house lol.gif 

ROTFLMAO.gif   Me too!

Hmmm....

Decongestants when I really, really could have used it last week

Enjoying food

Comfortable nursing

Zipping my pants (I'm only 7 weeks!!!)

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#5 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 10:53 AM

I've given up alcohol just as I was discovering my love for wine.

I gave up my daily Pepsi. But that's mostly because soda doesn't sit well with me right now. 

I'm also a social smoker and gave that up.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#6 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 11:04 AM

Alcohol

Raw sushi

Bloody steaks and burgers

Benzoyl Peroxide/ salicylic acid/ tea tree oil

Advil

Cleaning the cat box (aww so sad!)

I only have my cup o'joe on the weekends now

#7 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I'm sure giving up cleaning the litter box was a huge sacrifice ;) lol. Stuff I've given up/cut back on are things that just don't sound good to me right now. I don't drink coffee, I only rarely drink a caffeinated soda, mostly because it passes through my milk and makes my toddler not sleep well. I've never had alcohol in my life (really!) and I don't regularly take any supplements that aren't pregnancy safe. At least 
I don't think :) Swallowing pills isn't kind to my gag reflex so I've even been slacking on the prenatal vitamin lately. And I've been feeling a bit better lately so I decided to try it on Monday afternoon to get back in the habit. Several hours later I threw up, the ONLY time I've thrown up this pregnancy! So its made me scared to try it again just in case there was a connection :( I do plan to take my entire stash of supplements to my midwife to ask if there's anything in particular she does *not* want me to take, or even if there's anything in there she thinks would be great if I took. I have an enormous supplement stash because I followed The Mood Cure plan for PPD (worked so, SO much better than antidepressants!! I highly recommend that book if anyone experiences PPD or even any depression, PP or not) 

I normally have a massive out of control sweet tooth. And so now there's a part of me that WANTS to eat sweets right now (the habit? the memory of how good they taste?) but i just don't crave them. and i feel really gross after like, one cookie. Seriously, 3 weeks ago I got 2 boxes of girl scout cookies, and I still have some left!! I'd normally go through a box in like a day, rofl. And the kids have eaten more than I have. I've only recently started drinking Choffy again. for several weeks just the thought of getting up and having a hot beverage thats sweetened (not a fan of it unsweetened) just made me sick. and when I made it i'd make like, 2 mugs first, drink half a mug full then pour the rest down the drain. Choffy is cocoa beans that have been roasted and ground, then you brew it like coffee :) It tastes like HEAVEN! 

So I "gave up" sweets.. but not like on purpose. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#8 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 02:22 PM

Hmm... most of what I've given up hasn't been voluntary. I just have such a limited list of things I can stomach! 

Work. I've given up work. Filed my short term disability claim today. greensad.gif

Cat box (tough because I'm a cleaning control freak!)

Eating food with flavor.

My beloved coffee... barf!

Wearing clothes that make me look human. I pretty much live in pjs.

Water.

Anything that involves standing for more than 10 minutes. 

Before I got sick, I was mostly bummed about giving up Brie and wine!  :)

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#9 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM

beer

coffee (but not caffiene completely, sometimes I have half a soda)

going to crazy metal shows that I know there will be a pit (this one is the hardest!)

cooking dinner

I must really love this babe.  Those 4 things were my favorites.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#10 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Giving up the cat litter can be hard when every time I ask my DH to do it he says, "but I just did it a couple of days ago"...  Uhm, yeah!

imogenlily likes this.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#11 of 21 Old 04-15-2011, 04:46 AM

I would totally give up cleaning the cat litter if my husband would actually do it consistently. If it isn't cleaned every day at naptime they get pissed off and poop somewhere they shouldn't...like the bed.

For this babe the only things I've given up are cooking (b/c it makes me sick) and staying 100% vegetarian (been veg for 11 years). This baby really wants burgers! lol

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

#12 of 21 Old 04-15-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykittymomma View Post

I would totally give up cleaning the cat litter if my husband would actually do it consistently. If it isn't cleaned every day at naptime they get pissed off and poop somewhere they shouldn't...like the bed.

Seriously.  with our first child I gave up doing the cat litter and spent 9 months nagging my husband to do it.  Of course, he rarely did, got angry with me for asking him, and then after the baby was born I had to scrub the floor of the basement that was now filthy and crusted around the boxes because he never did it.

This time?  I decided that the risk of scooping litter had to be smaller than the risk of 9+ months of anger and resentment 

Men ;)

What I have given up:

Alcohol, tuna, down to a small cup or two or regular coffee per week, trying to cut back the sugar

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#13 of 21 Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 PM

Alcohol

Tuna -a tuna melt sounds so good right now

coffee-although i've had a latte here and there

acne medication-god knows i need it right now

running - i still do sometimes but its not the same kind of workout i used to do where i was trying to add mileage each week and get faster now i just jog sloooowly

anxiety and endless worrying  :)  trying to be in a good place mentally

#14 of 21 Old 04-15-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snadaska View Post

anxiety and endless worrying  :)  trying to be in a good place mentally

good for you. trying to do the same here

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#15 of 21 Old 04-15-2011, 04:34 PM

My beloved UV Cherry vodka with Dr Pepper. Once I'm in 2nd+ trimester I think an occasional beer or wine is fine, but I'm a hard liquor girl, so no alcohol at all for me (a friend had to bring me vodka before I let her see dd3, lol, even though it remained unopened for months!).

My ability to function as a normal human being between the nausea, dizziness, and most of all, the PURE, UNRELENTING EXHAUSTION!

My rational mind...I throw things in anger a LOT while pregnant. The last pregnancy landed two holes in our walls. At least I just throw things at walls, right? LOL

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#16 of 21 Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 PM

Caffeinated coffee, decongestants, ibuprofen, a clean cat box (seriously, what is it with some men?), nursing without pain, sex (for the time being), cold lunchmeat sandwiches (one of my favorite foods, waaaah!), my patience and the ability to walk without falling for longer than ten or fifteen mintues :(

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#17 of 21 Old 04-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Swallowing pills isn't kind to my gag reflex so I've even been slacking on the prenatal vitamin lately. And I've been feeling a bit better lately so I decided to try it on Monday afternoon to get back in the habit. Several hours later I threw up, the ONLY time I've thrown up this pregnancy! So its made me scared to try it again just in case there was a connection :( 

The prenatals can be REALLY harsh on your stomach sometimes.  I have found that when I take mine with food at dinner time, it goes down much easier.  I forgot about it last night and took it on an empty stomach before bed and felt like I was going to puke all night!!  Last time, my doc said it would be ok for me to take two flinstone gummy's instead for the first 20 weeks.  Then I finally found a prescription that didn't make me break out into a rash (fun!).

Hmm, the biggest thing I'm giving up is Maine lobster and Sam Adams Summer brew.  It's my favorite thing about summers in New England and apparently the lobster is pretty high on the mercury list.  I might have one or two but I can't indulge like I normally would. And it's totally not the same without the beer to wash it down!  

At least we'll be able to have our wine/eggnog on Christmas, though, right? I'm early Nov so hopefully I'll get to have some on Thanksgiving, too :)

#18 of 21 Old 04-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Cat litter

Soda

Most carbs

Complete sentences

I had severe gestational diabetes with DD, and skipped it with DS by modifying my diet, so trying to do the same again. My brain is fried, so don't expect me to carry a coherent thought....

#19 of 21 Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 PM

I have given up:

tuna

cold lunch meat sandwiches, which i used to take for work and now I haven't found a good alternative. (no microwave so need something that will be good without heating.)

alcohol

chocolate :(

caffeine, but not completely maybe have once a week

energy, Can't wait for the 2nd trimester to get this back again

novaxnocirc.gif mama to my 2 yo wild man and my beautiful 11 yo DD.  Married to the best DH ever since October 2010!!! angel.gif 5/2011

#20 of 21 Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM

tuna - switching to small salmon & tilapia

beloved PG Tipps tea

cat litter - we agreed I would carry out the compost for 9 months instead

allergy spray 

prescription skin ointment - I have delicate skin and the most intense rash going now

high-intensity exercise - now only swimming & walking where I could still carry on a conversation

feta, chevre and brie

beer and wine

household cleaners other than baking soda and vinegar - I just cleaned an entire stove with baking soda and it was a 72-hour NIGHTMARE

First baby due Oct/Nov 2011. Slowly finding my way...

#21 of 21 Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM

energy and my waistline are the biggies that seemed to go right away : )  

I have given up alcohol and am careful about cheeses, fish, etc.  I really, really, really miss being able to soak in the hot tub though!!

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page