Milk gone already? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those of you who are nursing your older babies, how is your milk supply going?  I am only 8 weeks and I was expecting mine to last at least into the 2nd trimester (if I make it that far), but I am shocked to find that it's virtually dried up already.  The tell-tale sign is that my DD has basically given up her afternoon nap in the last couple of days because there is no milk to drink as she falls asleep.  She will get in bed, latch on for five minutes then just say "I want to go downstairs".  In the past I could always express milk onto my nipples after feeds, but now I can't get any.  Literally nothing.  It's the end of an era!  It actually makes me glad I didn't fall pregnant earlier, when my DD was younger.  At 31 months she seems happy enough to give up feeds.  Our morning feed still remains, so we'll see how log that lasts.

Oh, and the dry nursing is killing my sore nipples.

I know this is all well within the bounds of "normal", but I just wondered what other mamas' experiences were?

#2 of 28 Old 04-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I'm really curious about this, too.  I'm nearly 8 weeks and my breasts seem smaller than usual so I guess I'm not filling up as much between feedings, but the milk still flows when ds nurses.  I am certainly curious to see if my supply diminishes noticeably or dries up completely during this pregnancy.

Also, I'm not sure if this was covered in a previous thread, but my nipples are just KILLING me.  Does the pain usually subside at some point in the pregnancy?  Or do I have this to look forward to the entire time? 

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 28 Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 AM

I'm almost ten weeks and still have a supply.. Although it dips at night and I know because he used to nurse one side to fall asleep and now he is nursing one boob and then standing up until I give him the other and then back and forth and back and forth.. I'm stressing if it all together goes away because he is only eleven months.. and yes, my nipples feel like they are in a meat grinder when he nurses.. I've been in bed nursing and crying a couple times. I've heard it eases in the second trimester so I'm holding out hope, lol.

#4 of 28 Old 04-16-2011, 09:55 AM

I am 8 weeks tomorrow. My supply has dropped a little too but DS continues to nurse as usual. My nipples are sore but they seem to be becoming less sore.

42 year old runnerjog.gif, hiker. Mom to DS(6/28/08) smile.gifand married to my best friend. Cloth diaper and plan to homeschool. Love my life in the mountains. Identical twin boys born 11/3/11 selectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpgbfolderchild.gifnocirc.giffambedsingle2.gif

#5 of 28 Old 04-16-2011, 11:37 AM

All of my toddlers kicked me to the curb sometime between 8 weeks-12 weeks into my next pregnancy. We were only nursing for naptime and bedtime and had night weaned by that point so I figured I didn't have much of a supply anyway.  The youngest was 19 months, the oldest, 22 months. I was so sore that I really didn't mind very much though it was sad to end that era with each little one. I am wondering if the taste changed because once they decided they were done, they never asked again.

Wendy  Wife to my sweet husband, homeschooling mom to 4 little girls and a new blessing due in November! chicken3.gif
#6 of 28 Old 04-16-2011, 12:16 PM

For me, my supply started dropping around the end of the first trimester, and was completely gone at 20 weeks (no more swallows).  I was very sore at first, but then it eased up by the second trimester, and I was fine the rest of the time.  I have heard that some people get sore/creepy crawly feelings again in the third trimester, but I didn't really have that.  This time (I'm currently still tandem nursing 13-month-old and 30-month-old) I'm not nearly as sore as last time (currently 8 1/2 weeks pregnant).  I'm curious to see what happens when my supply drops.  Right now the younger one can still get really strong letdowns.  The older one only rarely gets a letdown anymore. When I first got pregnant they both looked at me funny for a day, so the taste must have changed, but they're still going strong for now...

#7 of 28 Old 04-16-2011, 12:44 PM

I'm 8 weeks and my milk was pretty much gone too. I started taking More Milk Two from Motherlove and I noticed a difference right away. It's definitely helped the dry sucking, want to climb out of my own skin feeling.

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

#8 of 28 Old 04-16-2011, 05:34 PM

I am dreading losing my milk. Maybe I will try the More Milk Two, I hadn't thought of that!  This is my 4th baby... My oldest two each nursed through the pregnancy that came after theirs, even though I lose my milk after the first trimester. I was surprised they hung in there, but they did, and I tandem nursed with each of them.  I really hope my youngest dc hangs in there too, as he is only 19 months and I would hate for him to wean so soon. 

My colostrum comes in around the beginning of the 3rd tri, so that is something for him to look forward to if he doesn't give up!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#9 of 28 Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 PM

I am 8 weeks today, and not to gloat, but I think my supply has actually increased slightly!

I started having sore nipples, which I have never had before with nursing, at all. The pain got worse for a couple days, and then I started getting symptoms of vaginal yeast. Thrush! I had never had it before in nearly 4 years of breastfeeding, but they say pregnancy makes you more susceptible. If your nipples really hurt, it may very well be thrush- start globbing on the yogurt.

#10 of 28 Old 04-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm 9 weeks and my supply is pretty much the same.  It might have decreased slightly, but it's hard for me to tell for sure.  My DD is 20mo and still nurses every few hours around the clock.  I just plan on taking it as it comes.  My mom never lost her milk in pregnancy, so maybe I'll be the same way, who knows.  I wouldn't be too sad if my DD weaned now, but I'm more than willing to let her keep nursing.  I nursed my DS until he was 3.5.  Luckily my nipples and breasts have hardly been sore at all.  They're really only slightly more sensitive than usual and it isn't anything that I can't get past.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#11 of 28 Old 04-18-2011, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

For me the nipple soreness seems to be aggravated by the lack of milk.  DD starts off latching properly, gets very little milk, gets bored and loosens her latch.  The she nipple feeds (often with teeth involved) until I protest.  It's hard to know whether this is a new thing, or something that she's always done but which didn't bother me before I was pregnant.  Amidst all my complaining I have to remind myself that I desperately want this new baby and this is just nature's way of weaning the older child so that my body can nourish the new one.  Though I did have a little hope that I would one day tandem feed.

#12 of 28 Old 05-03-2011, 12:18 PM

I'm almost 12 weeks and in the last week or two I can tell a dip. He asks to switch sides much sooner. I had a dip earlier when I had the flu at about 6 weeks, but it seemed to come back after that once I was rehydrated. My son isn't drinking much water or juice though (I should probably try pushing it a little more), so he must be still getting a decent amount.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#13 of 28 Old 05-03-2011, 01:45 PM

I'm almost 14 weeks and just this past week my 25 mo has been telling me "there's no mommy milk coming out." So I guess my milk is gone. Sometimes she wants to check and see anyways but just now she asked for a story and backrubs instead and she is taking her first ever nap without nursing!!! I've been telling her that sometimes mommy milk goes away when you get older because you get to eat all kinds of other yummy food instead. She seems to accept this and it probably helps that most (if not all?) of her friends are no longer nursing. I had been open to tandem nursing if we made it that long but that's pretty doubtful now I think. And though I'm a little sad, I'm also relieved because the nursing has been very painful for me too! I think it feels easier to accept that she's weaning because I know there is another LO on the way.
#14 of 28 Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 PM

My 28 month old dd weaned when I was newly pregnant with my second and I remember the bittersweet nature of the passing of that milestone.  Congrats mama for a job well done!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#15 of 28 Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 PM

This is my third pregnancy with nurslings. My experience with each pregnancy so far has been that my supply dips sharply around 7-8 weeks and then basically dries up entirely around 20 weeks.

Last time, I had a 30 month old and a 16 month old when I got pregnant and they both continued to nurse for the duration of the pregnancy. Thankfully, the older guy weaned maybe 6-8 weeks after the baby was born because his nursing was driving me insane. I'm think it was a combination of the shape of his mouth and the hormones because this time I have a 38 month old and a 14 month old and again it's just the older guy who's driving me crazy. I am hopeful that he will wean soon because I don't know if I can stick out a whole pregnancy like this, even though he's only nursing morning and night. It was actually starting to get on my nerves before the pregnancy but now it grates terribly! I've been talking to him for several months about how nursing is for very little children, and as children get older their mouths change and they are not shaped for nursing anymore, and reminding him about how his big brother stopped nursing when he was around this age. I have to say he's gotten much less aggressive about insisting on nursing and much more likely to pull off because he sees I'm uncomfortable or to agree ahead of time to "two minutes" and then actually pop off after not much longer than that so I have hope.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with #3. When #2 was born, #1 was just 14 months old -- there was no way in good conscience I could wean him during that pregnancy and there were no jealousy issues because they were both babies together. When #3 was born, #2 had major issues wanting to nurse all day, which I just couldn't do -- (1) my milk supply takes a while to establish and I couldn't let him take all the milk while baby slept; (2) it was horrible for him when spent all day trying to nurse and not doing anything else; (3) I really didn't want to jeopardize #1's process toward weaning, and I know he would have insisted on nursing as often as #2 if it worked for #2; and more reasons. But the tension created a lot of stress the first couple of months. I'm tempted to avoid that by weaning #3 before I give birth, but he's still so little! So I'm conflicted.

#16 of 28 Old 05-03-2011, 04:44 PM

Wow you're the tandem queen!  lol.gif  I'm conflicted about my little guy too.  He's 16 months now and we've just started night weaning (good now for 6 nights!)  I plan to see what happens once he's been night weaned for a few weeks and as the pregnancy progresses what happens to my supply.  I'm 10 weeks now and it sounds like most moms lose it by 20ish weeks.  He'll be 18ish months then and I'd feel better about weaning fully around that time.

#17 of 28 Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 PM

Today was my second day of not nursing my son.  Very bittersweet. He's 20 months and I definitely led the weaning process.  Not what I had originally intended, but this pregnancy surprised me.  I feel like I had no milk around 8 weeks but he didn't mind.  I had a really hard time getting enough of a supply to feed him when he was a newborn (supplemented myself with herbs for a year and baby with donor milk until he was 4 months) so I knew I didn't want to tandem nurse and worry about not having enough milk for the new baby.  I also didn't want to cut him off right before baby arrives and then have him watch me nurse his sibling around the clock so I aimed to wean him by the end of the first trimester.  I tried to talk to him in the week leading up to stopping nursing but that really stressed him out.  Surprisingly, when the day came that we wouldn't nurse anymore he was been fine with it.  He asks just once for nursie and I tell him "nursie all gone" and we cuddle while he drinks from a cup.

I know this probably isn't relevant to most of you but it's nice to be able to share this bittersweet transition in my relationship with my toddler.  Best of luck mamas!

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

#18 of 28 Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 AM

Congrats to you, too, Mamabelle for a great job nursing your little one.  We have to do what we have to do to maintain balance in our lives.  Nursing until 20 months is wonderful!

#19 of 28 Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 AM

Thanks for sharing.   I also have a 20mo and I'm thinking about drastically cutting back the amount she nurses.  My supply has dropped off a lot and it's making her nurse more, not less.  Last night she wanted to nurse for 2-3 hours on and off before bed (mostly dry nursing).   Finally, at 9:30 I convinced her to eat a snack (she was starving) and drink some water and she fell right to sleep.  I'm just having a really hard time getting her to drink enough milk or water, anyone have tips for this?  I'd be happy if she went down to nursing 3-4 times during the day and totally night weaned (right now she probably nurses 8-10 times in 24 hours).  We'll see, she had such a tantrum last night when I wouldn't let her nurse non-stop for hours.  :/  The girl loves her nummies! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabelle View Post

Today was my second day of not nursing my son.  Very bittersweet. He's 20 months and I definitely led the weaning process.  Not what I had originally intended, but this pregnancy surprised me.  I feel like I had no milk around 8 weeks but he didn't mind.  I had a really hard time getting enough of a supply to feed him when he was a newborn (supplemented myself with herbs for a year and baby with donor milk until he was 4 months) so I knew I didn't want to tandem nurse and worry about not having enough milk for the new baby.  I also didn't want to cut him off right before baby arrives and then have him watch me nurse his sibling around the clock so I aimed to wean him by the end of the first trimester.  I tried to talk to him in the week leading up to stopping nursing but that really stressed him out.  Surprisingly, when the day came that we wouldn't nurse anymore he was been fine with it.  He asks just once for nursie and I tell him "nursie all gone" and we cuddle while he drinks from a cup.

I know this probably isn't relevant to most of you but it's nice to be able to share this bittersweet transition in my relationship with my toddler.  Best of luck mamas!

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#20 of 28 Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 PM

I am 11 weeks and my DS is 14 months. As recently as last weekend, I could still express a decent amount, but the last few days, I can only get drops. And in the middle of then ight lastn ight, he cried for water and a snack, so I'm thinking there's not much there. :( My midwife gave me a tincture called Mega Mam, but it tastes awful and I don't know if I can stomach it right now. I may order some More Milk Two.

I don't remember when my milk was gone last pregnancy, but I know that when my DD weaned at 26 wks (she was 30 months) I was ecstatic. Dry nursing was infuriating - not painful, but I got really awful creepy-crawly feelings and it made me so angry. It was unpleasant for both of us. I'm really hoping to avoid that this time, especially since my current nursling is so little still. (He'll only be 21 months when the baby comes. I'm so not ok with him weaning yet.)

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#21 of 28 Old 05-05-2011, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Its pretty much just colostrum around here now. Flavor changed on the left side first, then the right side. Now if I manage to express any I can tell its thicker/sticky. Kinda fun having an older nursling who kept me updated..lol. If I offered the left side to ds, he would be like, "no" and insist on the right side. Then dd nursed and was like, "that side's yucky" and then reported that the right side was normal!  Crazy. Would have thought they'd be the same. Once they were BOTH "yucky" ds quit having a preference and is perfectly happy with either one. dd, however, decided its just not worth it anymore..lol. Would rather have a cup of cow's milk. Fine with me, 4 years old, tandeming while pregnant.. sounds like an EXCELLENT time to wean! My only major gripe about the change to colostrum..well.. colostrum is a laxative :( I'm SOOO sick of changing poopy diapers! like, 3-5 a day!! Ugh!!!  I don't mind changing baby diapers but toddler diapers, I am not a fan! 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#22 of 28 Old 05-05-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

My only major gripe about the change to colostrum..well.. colostrum is a laxative :( I'm SOOO sick of changing poopy diapers! like, 3-5 a day!! Ugh!!!  I don't mind changing baby diapers but toddler diapers, I am not a fan! 

I'm pretty sure I've seen actual milk still coming out of me, but I hear you on the poopy diapers!  We are part time ECing,  and were catching  most poops b/c it was so obvious when he was starting to poop.  But lately his poops have been so soft that they just come out without him working at all so I miss them all the time and they are so not fun to clean off of the cloth diapers!  UGH!

#23 of 28 Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 PM

My supply totally dropped at 8 weeks, and that's when it was most painful. I'm almost 14 weeks now, and I still have some pain, on and off. My DD has started to ask to nurse during the day again, so I'm thinking we are having another dip. She nurses pretty much constantly from 4:30am - 7:30 am. I'm actually hoping she weans soon, I've been getting that creepy crawly feeling already and I can't stand it. I wanted to wait until we were all done with the 1st trimester exhaustion before night weaning, because I know what a wakeful battle that will be. 

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#24 of 28 Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Twelve and a half weeks and my milk is still there but barely.. He still nurses often but he isn't getting much of anything.. I'm hoping to nurse through but we'll see what happens.. :(

#25 of 28 Old 05-05-2011, 08:24 PM

11 weeks, and I'm still leaking. I've not stopped nursing since DD1 was born in 2005, so through two full term pregnancies so far. I am hoping this luck will continue through this pregnancy, especially since DD3 is only 13 months and the others were 18-21 months when I got pregnant. I would've been comfortable stopping at those ages. Not at 13 months, or even at 18 months anymore.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#26 of 28 Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesh933 View Post

Dry nursing was infuriating - not painful, but I got really awful creepy-crawly feelings and it made me so angry. It was unpleasant for both of us. I'm really hoping to avoid that this time, especially since my current nursling is so little still. 

I can totally relate to this feeling. It is really really horrible and I actually think I was becoming depressed because of it.  I know it sounds weird but I just got this really sad, awful feeling every time DS nursed and nothing came out.  The only other time I got that feeling was right after he was born.  His latch was bad so my milk took forever to come in.  Once he finally started latching well, it still took awhile to build my supply and I remember having that awful creepy crawly feeling when that was going on.  

Very recently, he started getting really angry and frustrated with nursing.  He would fuss, cry, bite me(yeah, ouch!!) hit me with his fists, scratch, etc.  It was really unpleasant and I could tell that he wasn't getting anything. While it made me sad to wean him (waaay earlier than I thought I would), I am at peace with it.  I made it a year and I never thought I would even make it to 6 months.  1 year was my personal goal and I am glad he got the milk he did.  I am toying with the idea of sneaking him a cup of pumped milk every day once the new baby gets here but I don't know if that'll work.  I always feel like my supply is just barely cutting it so I don't know if I'll be able to keep it up.  

I'm also thinking that nursing might have been the reason why I haven't gained any weight yet.  It's really starting to concern me and I'm going to ask the doc if it's ok when I go in on wed. I'm already starting this pregnancy 10-15 lbs less than I was with the last. This is the thinnest I've been since college.  I'm not underweight or anything but I'm not overweight either and I really hope I'm not hurting the new baby by not gaining enough.  I think the nursing and constant stress of not sleeping well, working nights and taking care of DS was taking a toll on my health and weight.  

#27 of 28 Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 AM

I'm 12w now and I'd say my supply is only about 25-50% of what it used to be.   My DD used to wake up with a soaking wet diaper and now she maybe has 1-2 pees in there.  I suspect that I'll be totally dry soon.

I was actually hoping that I'd gain less weight with this pregnancy because I'm nursing.. NO!  I've actually gained more to date than with my others.  Sigh, it is what it is...

#28 of 28 Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

Thanks for sharing.   I also have a 20mo and I'm thinking about drastically cutting back the amount she nurses.  My supply has dropped off a lot and it's making her nurse more, not less.  Last night she wanted to nurse for 2-3 hours on and off before bed (mostly dry nursing).   Finally, at 9:30 I convinced her to eat a snack (she was starving) and drink some water and she fell right to sleep.  I'm just having a really hard time getting her to drink enough milk or water, anyone have tips for this?  I'd be happy if she went down to nursing 3-4 times during the day and totally night weaned (right now she probably nurses 8-10 times in 24 hours).  We'll see, she had such a tantrum last night when I wouldn't let her nurse non-stop for hours.  :/  The girl loves her nummies! 

One thing I've noticed is that my 14 month old won't take milk or water from me (though he will take diluted juice, which I've turned to in despair a few times when I couldn't stand the dry nursing any longer) but has no trouble taking it from DH or MIL or his big brother. So I've taken to disappearing when I know he's thirsty and asking someone else to offer him the cup.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page