Mothering Forum banner

Heartbeat!

506 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ablemec 
#1 ·
Had my second midwife appointment today and heard the heartbeat. Such a relief. We were actually "forced" to tell a whole bunch of friends last weekend (on a reunion, lots of drinking, would have been obvious, etc.) and I was super worried that we had somehow jinxed ourselves by telling too soon. But I heard a heartbeat today. So that's exciting. What's not so exciting is that I don't feel any different. I was really hoping that hearing the heartbeat would somehow make it real for me. But it all feels the same, boring and surreal. I feel like a terrible mom already!

#3 ·
Congrats!! Try not to feel like a terrible mom... it is perfectly normal for pregnancy not to feel real at this point. I struggled with feeling attached to my baby in utero the entire pregnancy with #1. Showing and feeling movement certainly help the pregnancy to feel real, but for me, real attachment came after my daughter was born. Everyone is different and it doesn't make you a terrible mom!
love.gif

#4 ·
You're going to be a great mom! I remember having those feelings with my first too. The whole thing was pretty freaky and unreal to me. I agree that once you start to feel that baby you will get to know him or her better and it will become more real but when baby's born is when the game is really on. Congrats on hearing the heartbeat!

#5 ·
DDC-crashing. Not really feeling any different at this point is totally normal. I expected to feel this huge surge of love the first time I heard this little girl's heartbeat and was surprised when I didn't really feel anything. Now a few weeks later when we saw her on the ultrasound? TOTALLY different story. I burst in to tears because I was so happy to see her! And now that I feel her moving around all the time, there's definitely a different feeling of attachment. Don't worry, it will come. And congrats on hearing the heartbeat!

#6 ·
Thanks ladies! I know I shouldn't beat myself up over something I can't control, but at this point it seems like my husband is more connected to this pregnancy than I am! All the congratulations from friends and family make me feel even weirder, because I'm thinking "congratulations for what? The only things I'm feeling are tired and nauseous!" I just have to trust you experienced ladies and hope that with movement and the ultrasound, I'll start to feel more connected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.