Argh! Seriously?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am feeling very frustrated because everything I'm reading is saying that while you are pregnant you shouldn't ride a bike, or rollerblade (even in a rink?)!  Last time I was pregnant it was during mostly the winter months, and I wasn't as active, so it wasn't a concern, but now I have a 5 year old and I am like, what am I gonna DO all summer?!  Walk?  Pshh!  Yes, I'm sure my 5 year old will LOVE to go for a nice LOOOONG walk...

Sorry, just grumpy...sure, yes, I believe in taking care of my unborn child and taking precautions, but I mean, really, how often does an adult fall off of a bicycle?  I'm not planning on biking across town in the street, up and down big hills or mountain biking, just pedaling along the beach-side sidewalk area along the strip...what do you all think?  Safe, not safe?

I see my midwife on Tuesday so I plan on getting her opinion, but still, I'm feeling very frustrated that the things that I find fun and interesting to do and that keep me motivated and active, I can't!

#2 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 05:23 PM

safe! an acquaintance i knew who was an avid biker rode until her thighs hit her belly and she couldn't pedal properly! i suppose the risk is that you could get hurt (hit by something/one or fall off), so as long as you're not behaving like a bike courier and minding opening car doors and all that i can't see why cycling is a problem. 

all the restrictions put on women during pregnancy may be well meaning but i find them totally maddening (and often condescending and good for only fear-mongering). have you been to pregnant chicken? it's pretty funny and she adds levity to all the aggravating advice out there.  http://www.pregnantchicken.com

jasmin85 likes this.

#3 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My midwives have told me that if you're body is used to doing something, then it's fine to continue that activity in pregnancy.  They've gone so far as to say that downhill skiing, water skiing, bike riding, running, etc are all fine if you're in good shape and your body is up for it.  My sister also rode her bike until her belly got in the way.  :)

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#4 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 PM

I have ridden my bike through both of my last two pregnancies.  The only reason I didn't with my first is because I didn't have one.  duck.gif  My midwife knew and said it was just fine, that a lot of times there is excessive caution for legality reasons.  Talk to your health care provider, but I think it's just fine with caution and in moderation.  From what I understand, the biggest risk is that your center of gravity is off so there's a risk of falling.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#5 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I feel better already!  I agree that there are too many restrictions placed on pregnant women, and while some make sense, others take it too far.  I'm hoping that my midwife will agree to it because my husband prefers to err on the side of caution, which can put a lot of pressure on me at times.  nono02.gif

#6 of 9 Old 04-24-2011, 05:46 PM

I too would not hesitate to ride a bike while pregnant. I wouldn't trail ride, or go up and down too many mountains on gravel where you might tumble, but as for plain riding, until it gets uncomfortable, pedal away :)

Anno

#7 of 9 Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM

I bike to work every day and plan to continue doing so until it gets uncomfortable.  I will be careful and likely stay off the roads as much as I can but I do that anyway.   I downhill skiied during my first pregnancy until about 5 months.  I am an avid skiier and am more comfortable on skies than on foot during the winter so I felt ok about it.  I used to joke that I never fell skiing but skipped twice on the ice and fell while walking my dog around the block.  In the end, I was happy to stop around 5 months because I did feel that my balance was off and I had lost confidence.  However, I have a friend who skis right up until the last month or so because she feels comfortable with that.  That being said, I totally understand why women would choose not to ski or bike or do other such activities while pregnant.  You have to be confident in your ability to do it safely or you will just be worried and what's the point in that?

That being said, I also was very happy to switch to walking and hiking through the last trimester.  I didn't feel very comfortable doing much more than that.  For me, biking ended quite early the first time as it was too much pressure on my tummy.

#8 of 9 Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 AM

I wish I had known it was ok to ride a bike during my pregnancy. Personally I would avoid areas with lots of traffic, but that is only because people here are so careless about sharing the road with bikes.

joy.giflurk.gif

#9 of 9 Old 04-26-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Happy to report that my midwife thought it was absolutely fine with bicycling, and even waterslides!  She basically said, "Don't go over Niagra Falls in a barrel and you should be fine"  ;)  Essentially, at your own discretion.  I have never been a fan of street-biking, the drivers make me nervous, but I am glad to know I can go for bike rides with my family along Beach Drive, and go rollerblading at the rink and enjoy Great Wolf Lodge, too.  Of course, I may not end up feeling like it because it may get rather uncomfortable, but, I'm glad to not feel so constrained and guilty for wanting to live close to normal!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page