Question About Taking Zofran - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-23-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies!

First off, congrats to all on your pregnancies!smile.gif This is my second pregnancy, and I am really having a time of it with the morning sickness. (Actually all day sickness) My midwife prescribed Zofran a couple days ago, I took one pill, but to no avail. The next day I felt a bit better, so I didn't take it, but today, I feel absolutely miserable. I took one again today, but it didn't help at all.

My prescription says to take it every 8 hours as needed. Is this a medicine that you have to continuously take to get the maximum benefit from? Should I be taking this medicine every 8 hours whether or not I feel sick?

Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#2 of 10 Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I've heard that Zofran either works or doesn't.  It's a category B so not as bad as phenergan (cat C), but also not something everyone is comfortable taking several times a day.  Several of my friends ended up on phenergan too when zofran didn't work enough by itself.  Have you tried Unisom?  You can take half a tablet with some B6 before bed and it really takes the edge off of m/s.  The active ingredient in plain Unisom is doxylamine, which is the same ingredient that was in Bendectin, an FDA approved drug back in the 70's that was banned along with all of the birth defect causing drugs.  But Bendectin does not cause birth defects, was later re-approved by the FDA, and is regularly prescribed in Canada.  Anyway, you can ask your midwife about it.  It is also category B, but I only ever found I needed to take that half a tablet once a day to feel functional.  Good luck!  Morning sickness is awful.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 10 Old 04-24-2011, 05:43 AM

I get HEG with every pregnancy and the only thing that keeps me out of the hospital is a combo of Zofran and Phenegran.. I take Zofran before I get out of bed and then everyfour hours, which ends up about three times a day. Then before bed I take a Phenegran. Once we figured out the combo of the two works enough to keep my hydrated we haven't switched. I'm still sick a couple times a day, just the general blah about to throw up feeling, having to lay down for a little while, dizzy, etc.. but I'm only throwing up once or twice compared to every time anything hits my stomach.

Hopefully you don't end up with HEG and your sickness lets up soon. I personally hate having to take pills constantly but the alternative is being in the hospital every other week which with three boys that live with us and our other son on the weekends and husband gone to training or in Afghanistan just isn't an option..

Good luck.

#4 of 10 Old 04-24-2011, 06:19 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apmama210 View Post

I get HEG with every pregnancy and the only thing that keeps me out of the hospital is a combo of Zofran and Phenegran..

Ugh!  I didn't know you had HG.  That's horrible!  I'm so sorry!!  So glad you found something that works b/c I know a lot of women with HG have no success until delivery.  Though there was a recent thread about pot that I found particularly interesting for women suffering like you.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#5 of 10 Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 AM

Pot seems to help a lot of things!

I've really  been lucky to be able to manage. I ended up only losing twelve pounds with our last babe's pregnancy which was a huge improvement from the one before that. Thankfully my brain has this wonderful way of forgetting just how bad it is or I wouldn't have our last baby or this one, lol.

#6 of 10 Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 AM

I had HEG with my last 2, but it hasn't been so bad this time.  Not that I don't spend my share of time being useless and puking.  I have Zofran but it causes really bad constipation- so its basically choosing one thing over another.  I only take it when I have something I need to do or a busy day, because I cant function without something to make me feel better.  Im allergic to all other nausea meds, but Ive heard Phenergan works best. 

When it was a lot worse, in my last pregnancy, I smoked pot every once in a while.  Being allergic to Phenergan and Compazine I was really left with no options.  It saved me, and probably saved my daughter also.  Just smoking once would give me relief for almost 2 days.  I wouldn't say its something people should do for manageable morning sickness (there is no real studies on it, just opinions), but if you have HEG boy its a godsend. 

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#7 of 10 Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Oh yeah, constipation and zofran beware! It is HORRIBLE.. At one point in my last pregnancy I was pretty sure I was in labor because of the cramping I had.. It wasn't regular or contraction like but I couldn't figure out anything that could cause that much pain that wasn't labor or a serious problem. I even called my husband in the field and told him he had to come home to take me to the ER.. Of course in triage I finally went to the bathroom for the first time in almost two weeks and everything immediately went away.. I was slightly embarrassed over being such a baby, lol..

Thankfully now that I can switch out with the phenegran it's slightly better but still pretty fierce.

#8 of 10 Old 04-24-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I have heard of the terrible constipation that Zofran causes and since I am prone to constipation normally, had reservations about taking it. But the nausea has been so bad I decided to give it a try. This is day 4 of not going number 2. (TMI I know!) I do feel better though. I have taken 3 so far , each 8 hours apart, and it is seeming to work better than just trying to take it as needed. So I suppose only time will tell.

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#9 of 10 Old 04-24-2011, 07:09 PM

I don't really know how Zofran works exactly. Like, does it need to build up, etc. I've been taking it for five weeks now I think. I do know that I stopped taking it because I was feeling better and then ended up in the hospital. Now, I never skip a dose. If I'm having a really bad day, I take more. I also take mecklizine at night and have phenegran suppositories for times I can't keep the meds down orally. Usually all of this keeps me hydrated enough and eating some by the evening. 

Oh, the constipation is horrible. I take stool softeners twice a day. My midwife suggested drinking Calm, which is magnesium I think. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#10 of 10 Old 04-24-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know about the CALM. I have some of that here, maybe I will take some.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page