Heart Rate Normal but Much Lower This TIme...Should I Be Worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had an US at 7 weeks and the HR was 170.  At 10 weeks, it was 165.   Now at 14.5 weeks, it was in the mid 140's.  I'm worried because DS's was ALWAYS 160ish.  Never fluctuated from beginning to end. 

OB said not to worry and that it's normal but I'm really worried.  I've already had two very bad stomach viruses (just bad luck in our household this year!) and I worry that I didn't get good nutrition at a vital time in my PG.  I've also had very bad heartburn which had prevented me from being able to eat a lot.  I have a 20 week scan scheduled but now I'm nervous!  It's not for another month.

#2 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 03:02 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I know it's hard not to worry, but variation in heart rate is very normal just like it is for adults.  Your LO may have been more active at the past appointments and resting this time.  Also as the heart grows the rate slows down slightly (I believe right around week 11-12).  Your care provider would be concerned if the rate dropped below about 120.  I believe at this point 120-180 is totally normal. 

Please know that lack of nutritious food is not a cause for concern for baby.  It is feeding off your reserves, taking what it needs (which is not much at all).  You can read in the other thread by Ash how many women with HG don't eat anything nutritious their entire pregnancies and have totally healthy babies.

hug2.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 04:49 PM

In the first few weeks after the heart starts to beat it is much more rapid than any time after that- having a heart rate that is 190 at 7 weeks is good- but much higher than any other time in pregnancy.  That is probably why you saw the fluctuation.  I used to have a chart in one of my folders that demonstrated the fluctuation in heart rate in the first trimester, I can try to find it if you would like to see it?

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#4 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 PM

I had a slight panic attack when this little one's heart was at 180 at ten weeks.. With all my boys the highest has been 150 and they average 140.. Then I researched to death and found out they peak at 9 to 10 weeks and will then level out. 140 isn't  bad at all mama.. Like I said all of my boys have had it consistently be 140 up to 145 after my second month.

#5 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 PM

This baby's heart rate was 181 at my 10 week appt. I was worried about that, but it took a little while to find it and I honestly think the doppler startled the poor thing. It had started to slow down within seconds of finding it. Today, at 14 weeks 3 days, it was 154. Big difference, but I wasn't concerned.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#6 of 7 Old 05-12-2011, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!  You definitely made me feel better.  I don't know why I keep expecting this pregnancy to be just like my last one.  I just get so paranoid if anything seems out of the ordinary.  You'd think the second time around I'd be more relaxed.  Just being so sick has made me nervous.  I have skipped a lot of prentals because of how bad I've felt.  I think I went like 4 days without taking one when I had that last stomach bug.  I just couldn't keep it down and they make me so nauseas!

@dashley: Yeah that would be great if it's easy for you to find!  Thanks!

#7 of 7 Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 AM

Don't worry, that could be more harmful to baby than a lower heart rate. WHAT AM I SAYING! I know there is no way a loving mother could not worry, but I am glad to see that everyone has helped ease your mind. I have heard a wives tale that heart rate is the difference between boy or girl. But really we are all different and this littly guy/girl maybe just more relaxed than your first......................who knows. You sound fine though and do not worry about the sicknesses you had earlier our bodies always take care of baby first wether we do or not.

Student Mother  and Wife hang.gif 29 married to DH 31 jammin.gif since 03 Zoe Elizabeth Jane 4.75 energy.gif and Jace Aaron Edward 12/12/11 babyboy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page