Twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, I am 12 +6 and I see my midwife in 2 days. We will not have an u/s unless it is needed for some reason. This is my 5th pregnancy and is totally different from any of the others, I have been sick for weeks. Terribly sick and so tired I can't stay awake longer than a few hours. I am big, but of course it's number 5. Is it possible to find out there are 2 through hearing them? Or should I opt for a u/s. ( which I really don't want )?

Wife to a wonderful man,cd.gif ,lactivist.gif,femalesling.GIF,familybed2.gif,hbac.gif,belly.gif, planning a uc.jpg in November!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

It's really difficult to confirm twins with the doppler at this point in your pregnancy.  If you're really concerned now, you will need to get an u/s.  Measuring "big" prior to 20 weeks doesn't really mean anything as fundal height is highly variable in the first half of pregnancy.  Looking bigger is certainly normal with subsequent pregnancies.  I had a brief moment of thinking I was having twins, too, b/c I was popping out at 7 weeks when I hadn't even shown at all until almost 7 months with my first and 4ish months with my second!  Unless twins run in your family or you used ART, they are not very likely.  I have no doubt you're sicker and more tired since this is your FIFTH baby!  My goodness mama, you're chasing around 4 other little ones! 

But you could wait and eventually your care provider will be able to palpitate both of them.  Or you could opt for the 20 weeks u/s and do the anatomy scan to confirm.  Good luck with your decision!  :)

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 6 Old 05-12-2011, 06:14 AM

Honestly, if you're WONDERING how many are in there, the most successful way to know is my ultrasound. They COULD pick up a 2nd fetal heart beat but this early the other twin may get in the way. Just get the ultrasound so you know how many and see if everything is okay.

#4 of 6 Old 05-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

From what I understand, both doplar and u/s use a very similar frequency.  If you're open to using a doplar, I don't see why you'd be against u/s?  I think it's worth it if it will ease your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandasemele View Post

Ok, I am 12 +6 and I see my midwife in 2 days. We will not have an u/s unless it is needed for some reason. This is my 5th pregnancy and is totally different from any of the others, I have been sick for weeks. Terribly sick and so tired I can't stay awake longer than a few hours. I am big, but of course it's number 5. Is it possible to find out there are 2 through hearing them? Or should I opt for a u/s. ( which I really don't want )?

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#5 of 6 Old 05-12-2011, 08:50 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

There is actually some evidence that the doppler is worse b/c it uses continuous energy emission instead of intermittent emission like the u/s.  My conclusion was that the less and shorter amount of time either can be used the better.  Moderation.  :)

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 6 Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

That was the only time a doppler will be used. My midwife likes to hear the h/b at 12-13 weeks. Other than that it will be all Pinnard Horn. I will wait I will not get an u/s unless needed for medical reasons. I just have this feeling it's more than one. I have never had that. My sickness is gone. Tiredness is not. However I just started my exercising back so we will see if that helps. Thanks!!

Wife to a wonderful man,cd.gif ,lactivist.gif,femalesling.GIF,familybed2.gif,hbac.gif,belly.gif, planning a uc.jpg in November!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page