Am I being realistic or unreasonable? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As some of you may know my last pregnancy ended in a stillbirth due to PPROM at 19 weeks (baby was born at 21). In the beginning of that pregnancy I had a lot of spotting, which the doctors all said was normal and that everything was fine. Obviously it wasn't, but that doesn't mean that anything could have been done, I know.

I was just saying yesterday to my DH that I really think this pregnancy will be fine because I have felt totally different and no spotting. Well, I spoke to soon. Last night I started spotting pink, which has since turned to brown, but it is still there. This did not occur after sex or anything of that nature. My BFF calls me and tells me I need to go to the doctor and I just really don't see the point. They will say one of two things. 1. It's normal. 2. Even if it's not normal there is nothing they can do. She thinks I'm just trying to be difficult, but I don't see the reason for me to miss work for them to tell me something I already know. They may tell me to come back if it gets worse, which I would obviously do in the first place. Am I being unreasonable or irresponsible?

There is no cramping or anything out of the ordinary except for the spotting. It's not like anything they say is going to give me peace of mind. I have already experienced something going catastrophically wrong when it is least likely.

Now I just feel like I get to worry for the next 6 months (or less, depending on what happens). My first pregnancy was normal and no complications. I just don't understand why now I'm having all these issues. Why can't it just be easy?

#2 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM

I'm sorry for your loss, and also sorry for your current worries. Is there any way that you could request ultrasound? I had numerous ultrasounds with my daughter for fear of suffering another loss, because I spotted alot with her and it wasn't placenta previa or after intercourse. I hope you get some answers or things go back to normal to ease your mind. <3

#3 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I'm so sorry for your loss, mama!  candle.gif

And I'm sorry for what you're going through now!  I understand what you're saying about them not really being able to tell you one way or another to ease you mind, but if an u/s finds another source of the bleeding that could be helpful information to you.  I don't know anything about PPROM, but is there something your care providers can do/give you that can help prevent that from happening again?

hug2.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Even after all the tests and everything I went through last time I know nothing. My cervix is fine and they detected nothing on any ultrasound last time to help determine why it happened. I have been classified as "high risk" with the understanding that my pregnancy will proceed as normal because they don't know what to look for. According to every single doctor I have seen there is nothing that could have been done to prevent what happened last time or to prevent it in the future. Apparently it was a fluke......

That is why I feel that seeing a doctor is unnecessary at this point. They have done nothing but make me worry more and never once have I gotten a real answer or felt more hopeful after I left. Despite every test and ultrasound I had last time there was nothing to be gained. No matter what it seems like a game of sit and wait and worry and hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I'm just miserable and I hate this. I wait every day for my world to come crashing down around me and there is nothing I can do but wait for it.

I'm really trying to stay positive. I will be sure to keep you up to date and I REALLY hope everything truly is fine.

#5 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM

I wish there was something I could say to help you feel better!  Have you tried also posting in any of the other forums like Pregnancy After Loss to see if anyone there can offer more information or at the very least support and encouraging stories?

grouphug.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I did post there today and am waiting for a reply. Thank you for the idea and your support.

#7 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 05:06 PM

I understand the feeling of not wanting to bother going to the doctor.  My first two pregnancies were miscarriages (9 weeks and 5 weeks), and in my third pregnancy, I started spotting at 5 weeks again.  I didn't go in because they couldn't do anything if it was a miscarriage.  As it turns out, it might have been better if I had gone in, because the bleeding stopped, but the next week I ended up in the ER having my left tube removed with an ectopic pregnancy.  Obviously, you're way past that, but I suppose there might be some small chance that they would notice something on an ultrasound.  However, if they notice something that they can't do anything about, then I'm not sure it's necessarily worth knowing right now.  All that is to say, I don't really have advice, but I understand the dilemma. I hope this is a sticky baby with a good solid amniotic sac.

#8 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 05:16 PM

hug2.gif  I am so sorry that happened last time, it must have just been horrifically difficult.  I have heard of using Vitamin C to strengthen the amniotic sac, have you?  Maybe Google that and see what you come up with.  I always take lots of it during pregnancy myself.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#9 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

After the fact last time I did hear about the Vitamin C. Whenever I can stomach my vitamins I always take one. I do frequently crave oranges, so maybe my body is telling me something too. I am certainly hoping that will help. Thank you!

#10 of 12 Old 05-20-2011, 10:08 AM

I take large doses of calcium ascorbate, which also helps fight off infections.  It's a powder and you can just stir it into juice. 

I know there is a link between huge doses of vitamin C and m/c in the first tri, but after that I have also read that it helps improve membrane strength.

#11 of 12 Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice and support. The bleeding stopped last night and started up again slightly this morning. To be honest, I feel fine, but I know that doesn't always mean I am. I also have a doppler at home (because of last time) and the baby's HB was fine last night. Let's hope it stays that way.

#12 of 12 Old 05-20-2011, 12:07 PM

I would probably wait it out, too for the reasons that you mentioned. Although with a loss at 19 weeks, I'm not sure what I could emotionally handle. So my heart goes out to you. 

I'm praying for you, that everything is healthy and growing. There are lots of reasons for bleeding during pregnancy that don't mean miscarriage.  (((Hugs)))

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page