The ONE Thread- June chit chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The weaning is bittersweet. I'd love for DD to wean (26 months) because it's back to being really painful. It seems like the pain is mostly DD's latch - she seems to simultaneously want to nurse and dislike nursing, so she latches lazily, then pulls away as far as she can while nursing. Yeowtch! We are only nursing when it is necessary for my sanity - to get her back to sleep at night, to go for a nap, when she wakes up in a grump. Otherwise I actually tell her "No" when she asks to nurse, because I just can't take it. But at the same time, nursing is so sweet and special and I am glad we're still working at it, and I know I would mourn it if she did decide to stop altogether. But I don't know how much longer I can take the pain!

I was actually pretty much decided on weaning her against her inclination because it was hurting, but also because she was nursing through the night like a newborn, and I wasn't getting the sleep I needed. But then, all of a sudden, she decided that she wanted to sleep in her own bed, and after a week we had a few nights in a row where she slept there all night, through the night. So now I'm definitely not going to pile both weaning and independent sleep on her, because I think that would just be too much for her dear sensitive little soul. She's also doing great with the potty learning too, so it's a lot of independent steps for one little person!

It's amazing how much a second pregnancy can fade into the background of family life - I was amazed to realize that at 19 weeks I am nearly halfway through the count! The niblet inside is already 6 inches long! 

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#62 of 107 Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 PM

thanks guys for the welcome. I just really wantedto read up on how pregnancy is usually.
#63 of 107 Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 PM

Feeling like crap today. We had to put my dog down. The last time I had hyperemesis (pg #1), I jokingly called her my pregnancy doula. She would lay in bed with me, and when I got up and was in the bathroom getting sick, she was right there. On nights when I was so sick I couldn't even go back to bed and wound up sleeping on the bathroom floor (I kept a quilt in there for that reason), she would let me lay on her belly as a pillow. <3 I've been crying all day.

And now I'm attempting to finish and entire cherry cheesecake just because I can.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#64 of 107 Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 PM

I love cheesecake especially apple carmel.

#65 of 107 Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 AM

#66 of 107 Old 06-16-2011, 05:52 AM

I'm so sorry about your loss! I had to put down my dog this February, and it was the hardest thing ever.  He was rottweiler, doberman, pitbull mix, which are "vicious breeds" but he would not hurt a fly unless it came to protecting me and my kids. He was so smart and loving, but he had hip displacia which is common in dobermans and alot of mix breed dogs, and it made it impossible for him to get up and down stairs, stand up, lay down, and on cold days, he wouldn't get up. He was 10 years old. I got his ashes in a pine box and plan on having it engraved. Are you doing anything in her memory or having her cremated so you can have her with you? Not being nosey, it just helps to talk about it if you're up to it. Hugs to you! hug2.gif

#67 of 107 Old 06-16-2011, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

So sorry Dennie! hug.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#68 of 107 Old 06-16-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

I'm so sorry about your loss! I had to put down my dog this February, and it was the hardest thing ever.  He was rottweiler, doberman, pitbull mix, which are "vicious breeds" but he would not hurt a fly unless it came to protecting me and my kids. He was so smart and loving, but he had hip displacia which is common in dobermans and alot of mix breed dogs, and it made it impossible for him to get up and down stairs, stand up, lay down, and on cold days, he wouldn't get up. He was 10 years old. I got his ashes in a pine box and plan on having it engraved. Are you doing anything in his memory or having him cremated so you can have him with you? Not being nosey, it just helps to talk about it if you're up to it. Hugs to you! hug2.gif

We didn't have her cremated, I think having the ashes here would actually make it worse for my girls. The vet's office is making us a plaster mold of her pawprint for the kids to have.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#69 of 107 Old 06-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamama View Post

We didn't have her cremated, I think having the ashes here would actually make it worse for my girls. The vet's office is making us a plaster mold of her pawprint for the kids to have.

Sorry, I meant to write HER, not him. I feel like a dummy now. I'll edit my post....

I think the plaster mold for the pawprint is an awesome idea.

#70 of 107 Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

Sorry, I meant to write HER, not him. I feel like a dummy now. I'll edit my post....

I think the plaster mold for the pawprint is an awesome idea.

No big deal. I used boy/girl interchangeably since we had her and our male dachshund as well. LOL

#71 of 107 Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Okay. lol phew! *wipes eyebrow in relief*

#72 of 107 Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 PM

So cute: We were at a pox party at the home of the midwife I used with the younger two. I asked to use her doppler to check heartbeat, and asked DD1 if she wanted to come hear the baby. No, she didn't; she wanted to be the one to check for the heartbeat! Well, the midwife had shown her how at prenatals with dd2 and dd3. So she got the gel, put it on my belly, turned the doppler on, and found the baby's heartbeat right away. It was sweet!

#73 of 107 Old 06-17-2011, 09:11 PM

I'm super envious of your pox party! Very cute that your daughter was able to find the heartbeat- a future midwife for sure!

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#74 of 107 Old 06-19-2011, 04:38 PM

Hope everyone is doing well and having a great Father's Day. DH and DD are visiting with DH's dad right now, so I have a little bit of me time for the moment.

We were supposed to have our ultrasound Friday to confirm the sex of this baby, but they called me first thing in the morning to say their sonographer was sick so we had to reschedule. greensad.gif Now, I got on Tuesday morning and can't wait! I was super bummed because I had taken the day off work, DH had taken off and my mom was getting off work early... all to go to the sonogram and make a special day of it and we didn't get to. Now, DH can't take off Tuesday to go so he's going to miss it. My mom is still able to go with me, so we're going to take my daughter and make it special for her. 

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#75 of 107 Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mallory, that sucks that your special sono day was ruined!  I'm sorry!  Not all places will let you, but maybe you can take some technology with you to either get a recording or make a recording of the sono.  Just a thought.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#76 of 107 Old 06-20-2011, 01:32 PM

hey moms-to-be! Is anyone having crazy pregnancy sex drive? I never expected this!

and on the other side from sexy, I have sneeze-pee already, and this is only my first baby AND I have always done kegel exercises and have formerly been, perhaps, a little too proud of my urinary continence. Boo to sneeze pee. 

First baby due Oct/Nov 2011. Slowly finding my way...

#77 of 107 Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

LOL!  I've been a sneeze peer since my first baby.  It's awesome (not). And I've had many a sex dream with this pregnancy, but I can't seem to summon up the time or energy to make it a reality.

#78 of 107 Old 06-20-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmouse View Post

hey moms-to-be! Is anyone having crazy pregnancy sex drive? I never expected this!

and on the other side from sexy, I have sneeze-pee already, and this is only my first baby AND I have always done kegel exercises and have formerly been, perhaps, a little too proud of my urinary continence. Boo to sneeze pee. 

I'm with you on both.  But DH is still freaked out by intimacy with a baby in there.  Especially since he's been able to feel our LO move.  It was adorable, the other day DH was lying on my tummy, and our LO kicked him in the face.  It was so sweet, but at the same time I was thinking "Mama's not going to be getting busy for a while."  The last time we got busy, as DH was climbing off (sorry for TMI visual) he blurted out "is LO ok?  Did we hurt him?  Do you think he knows?"  Boom, goes Mama's good mood crashing down.  Sigh.

And I'm definitely sneeze peeing.  I was in a store the other day, sneezing like crazy, and crossing my legs hard trying not to pee myself, knowing that everyone around me knew what I was doing.  At that point I wished I looked more visibly pregnant so I wouldn't look like a total nutso. 

#79 of 107 Old 06-20-2011, 03:12 PM

#80 of 107 Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 AM

Gah! I'm so annoyed with my dr's office right now!! They have rescheduled my sonogram AGAIN! I now haven't been seen by my midwife in 6 weeks, we had pushed it back a week so I could see her and get my sonogram on the same day and now with it being rescheduled TWICE, it'll be exactly 6 weeks since I've been seen.

Apparently their sonographer's son is very sick and being admitted to the hospital, which I get, I feel for her. I just don't understand why they haven't gotten someone to fill in for her by now. This is the 4th day in a row they've had to cancel all their sonograms, surely I'm not the only patient getting pissy with them. I mean, their office is in a very large hospital and there is another women's clinic right next door to them... why has it taken them this long to get someone to fill in? It didn't help that the woman I talked to today was a total bitch about it and extremely unhelpful. So, of course, I was a tad bit bitchy right back to her and very annoyed that I now have to rearrange my work schedule THREE times within a week just to get this sonogram done. A different woman called me back a little later and said they have someone coming to fill in tomorrow, so I can come first thing in the morning. Now, I'm just crossing my fingers they don't cancel on me again now that I've taken off work for the third time. 

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#81 of 107 Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 AM

Whoa, that is TERRIBLE patient care!  You have every right to be angry!

#82 of 107 Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mallory, did you get your sono yesterday?  How did it go?

I'm supposed to take ds in today or tomorrow to get his stitches out (see separate post in this forum about our latest trip to the ER).  I'm so dreading it, but I really don't think I could get them out myself safely.

In other news, I'm apparently quite addicted to posting on this site as I was just informed that I am the top poster for the second half of May!  Sheepish.gif  I mean I knew I posted a lot, but the top poster?  Yikes...  But on the plus side, I get a $25 Amazon gift certificate out of it!  lol.gif

#83 of 107 Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 AM

Jaimee, I did, finally!! And we got it confirmed, baby is a girl just like we thought! Everything looked good, she was measuring at 20 weeks 1 day, I was 20 weeks 3 days, so pretty close to perfect. 

#84 of 107 Old 06-23-2011, 03:22 PM

Mallory - woo! Congrats on finally getting your scan! We had our scan last week, at 19w4d and bub was measuring 19w3d, so we were pretty darn close too! We aren't finding out the sex in advance though, so no big announcement from me at this time.

It was a little disappointing because the detailed portion of the appointment took extra long (extremely active fetus in there) so the technician rushed through the show and tell part with hubs and DD, and I could barely see the screen. And we didn't get a nice glossy picture either, just a lame computer printout. 

And some semi-concerning news too - bub had two choroid plexus cysts in the brain (one for each hemisphere) and they spent extra time with me trying to decide if they were complex cysts or just "channels." The technician had to call in the doctor and everything. I guess they decided they were channels, so that's better than being a complex cyst. My daughter had a choroid plexus cyst at the anatomy scan too, and it resolved fine, and she's healthy and happy, so I'm not too worried about it (mostly the issue with it is that it's a marker for a couple of the Trisomy genetic disorders, and neither DD nor this bub had any other worrisome markers.) The technician said "Well, I guess that's just how you make babies." But it's still not pleasant to know that not everything is 100% as it should be in there. 

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#85 of 107 Old 06-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Congrats Mallory! 

Kay- I worked with a doctor once who swore that cyst on the brains of fetus' under 24 weeks of term was so common he was not sure why some doctors even worried about them.  I dont remember the exact rate he gave, but I remember it being a shockingly high percentage, of how many cases clear up completely before birth.

#86 of 107 Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 PM

My midwife says she doesn't mention any soft markers to clients.

I had some issues with my daughter's scan- echogenic bowels and some other soft signs of T21 and CF, most of which cleared up by the time we had a sono at 29 weeks. 

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#87 of 107 Old 06-24-2011, 05:27 AM

Man, I am not appreciating all night heartburn, especially with two little ones waking up all night and this little one happily kicking away inside.  With my first I had what seemed like non-stop heartburn and I have a feeling this baby is going to have the same effect.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#88 of 107 Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry about the heartburn PaigeKitten!  Have you found anything that helps?  There was a thread on the main pregnant forum about this just yesterday.... HERE. 

KayPea- so sorry that you didn't get 100% reassuring news from your sono!  But hopefully that is just how you make babies. 

#89 of 107 Old 06-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Usually papaya enzyme keeps it tolerable and I can take tums if I am really miserable.  Last night nothing seemed to help.  Near the end of my first pregnancy zantac was the only thing that helped, but that was a lot later, I'm only 21 weeks right now.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#90 of 107 Old 06-24-2011, 02:26 PM

KayPea thanks for posting about the cysts. I got a positive quad screen for trisomy 18 and am going in for an ultrasound soon, so I am nervous what sorts of things they will find. My first trimester screens were negative, the positive only came back from the second trimester bloodwork, so I have not been worrying about T18, and am considering my quad screen as a likely false positive. Still, I do want the u/s just to know if there are any serious anatomical issues that might make it important to have the baby in a hospital. But I'm scared they'll find more T18 markers and get me all riled up, so it's good to know cysts can be pretty normal.

First baby due Oct/Nov 2011. Slowly finding my way...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page