Mothering Forum banner

Are you finding out the sex?

2K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  justamama 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Sorry if I'm repeating a topic that's already been covered. I'm new to the Mothering threads and just wondering how people decided whether to wait till birth or find out the sex of your baby before birth?

We have been asked so many times what we are doing and I think we have finally decided.....

Cheers

#27 ·
We have an ultrasound Appt for next week. I normally wouldn't do one because I don't feel 100% safe with them but after losing our son last year I will need to emotionally prepare if we have another son on the way.

#28 ·
Regarding the fun conversation about circumcision...my dh and I wrestled with it back and forth for the first two pregnancies (thank God we had girls!!) and during our 3rd pregnancy it was actually our midwife that convinced dh to abandon thoughts of circumcision. It was near the end of my pregnancy and dh asked about circumcision and our midwife kindly talked to him about it. She said all the same things I had said but for whatever reason, afterwards dh said he was in agreement about not doing it. And it's never come up again. Thought that might help those of you who are still trying to convince your dh. I'm sure it won't work with everyone but it's an idea!

#29 ·
We found out the gender at our 20-week anatomy ultrasound this past Monday! We're having a girl!
biggrinbounce.gif
I originally didn't want to find out until the birth, but my husband wanted to know ahead of time and I really ended up warming up to the idea. I wouldn't have had it any other way now! I feel so much more connected to the baby now that I am calling her by her name and we can go shopping for gender-specific items. I called her "Fetus" for the first 20 weeks of pregnancy and kept having to say "he or she." I like that now I can say "her" all the time and it's like she's almost here! I know some people say they want to wait until the birth because it'll be more special, but it's still the same surprise either way. You're just getting that surprise earlier. Since I've been having a rough time coping with the roller coaster ride of pregnancy, I couldn't have waited 20 more weeks for this news.

Oh, and we named her Sora.
smile.gif
It's Japanese for "sky" and Native American for "chirping songbird." Since she's 1/8th Japanese (from my husband's side) and I LOVE birds, it couldn't have been a more perfect name for us!

#30 ·
We found out w/this pregnancy but I didn't find out with my previous pregnancy. I really wanted to find out the sex the first time but my husband didn't so we decided to wait til the birth (I can't keep a secret anyhow so there's no way just I could find out). This time he said it was fine with him if we found out and so we did, and then I cried in the bathroom afterwards! I agree though that I feel more connected to this baby than I did during my pregnancy w/my first. I don't know if it's because this is my second and I now know that a little baby really will be born one day, or if it's because we know the sex and can give the baby a name, etc.

#31 ·
We had no intentions of finding out, but we both knew right away while the Dr was doing the ultrasound. It was obvious to us. We apparently both missed our calling as sonographers (which is only funny because it's something I've considered going to school for!). So we know, but we aren't telling people we know, nor are we sharing. We're just saying we didn't have the doctor tell us. Which we didn't!

#32 ·
DH and I knew immediately that we didn't want to find out the sex. We had our 20-week u/s 2 weeks ago, and the tech didn't even look to see herself whether we're having a girl or a boy. In one of the 3d (or is it 4d?) u/s pics I *think* I can see a penis... but the baby would have to be twisted in a VERY bizarre and uncomfortable position for it to be what I think it is... and I doubt the tech would have been so careless. I'm trying not to read too deep into it because I so badly want to be surprised!

I was having VERY strong girl vibes in the beginning... then VERY strong boy vibes... then started having strong I-have-no-idea vibes as of a week ago. Which is where I want to be. I'm a sucker for a great surprise!

#33 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamama View Post

We had no intentions of finding out, but we both knew right away while the Dr was doing the ultrasound. It was obvious to us.
This is my fear. We don't want to know but I want to have the scan. It's written on our referral that we don't want to know and we plan on making sure the tech knows that up front before anything is on the screen, but I'm afraid we might see something anyway. Any tips to avoid seeing anything obvious?

#34 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

This is my fear. We don't want to know but I want to have the scan. It's written on our referral that we don't want to know and we plan on making sure the tech knows that up front before anything is on the screen, but I'm afraid we might see something anyway. Any tips to avoid seeing anything obvious?
Good luck! I have no clue on that one. Ultrasounds always look like a giant blur to me. I'm like, "Is that a knee? A spleen? No clue..." However, dp was able to tell this one was a boy right away. Guess it depends on the person!

#35 ·
ROTFLMAO.gif
That was me with our first, but with our second he was, well, shall we say... standing at attention? It was SO obvious! But I sort of thought if the tech knew we didn't want to know that s/he would not focus on the crotch area or tell us to turn away at certain times...?

#36 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

ROTFLMAO.gif
That was me with our first, but with our second he was, well, shall we say... standing at attention? It was SO obvious! But I sort of thought if the tech knew we didn't want to know that s/he would not focus on the crotch area or tell us to turn away at certain times...?
The tech wasn't worried at all that we'd accidentally see something... I think it helped that she wasn't looking for anything either, so she knew which areas to avoid altogether. She kept saying "Don't worry, you will NOT accidentally see something, I really have to look." And she was right. But again, it helped that she didn't even look to see the sex, so we're ALL in the dark :)

But if your doctor/midwife wants to know the sex for some reason, then I think the tech will have you look away. They must be very experienced in this area, and know what to do, right??

#37 ·
Well, to be fair, ours wasn't the "official" scan. My Dr's u/s lady quit unexpectedly, so rather than her bringing in her equipment to perform the u/s, he still did a small one with his machine, which isn't as good for a technical anatomy scan and measurements, etc. But it let us see the baby...and we were there anyway because DH had an appointment. And he wasn't trying to focus on that area. My kids are all exhibitionists. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.