Someone Please Fill Me In On Intactivism? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 96 Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I watched that YouTube video posted earlier in this thread and screeched, omg. I almost wish now that I didn't know that's how circ is done! greensad.gif I don't know if I missed where this might've been covered on the thread or not, but do they really not use anesthetic of any kind during that procedure? Or do they use local anesthetic at least? My heart is breaking right now for babies going through that. I don't understand why female circumcision is widely accepted as genital mutilation and outlawed, but for boys it's seen as normal. duh.gif Before we found out that we're expecting a girl, I had a discussion with DH about whether or not we'd circumcise a boy. Thankfully, he has been open to pretty much anything natural that I've wanted during my pregnancy, childbirth, and future parenting - so he is okay with whatever I want to do. He wasn't opposed to circumcision at all. He does see how it is unnecessary, though. I'm so thankful that he is able to view things from a logical standpoint from all perspectives and not rush to judgment quickly. We don't have to worry about the circ issue this time around, but I'm so glad to have learned a lot about this.

Oh, and I am shocked by the fact that most people are misinformed about early retraction of an uncirc-ed boy... I had no idea it shouldn't just be retracted and cleaned right away until I read this thread! Wow. My brother is uncirc-ed because my parents adopted him from Guatemala at 9 months of age. They said it was no big deal and he hasn't dealt with any hardships because of it. But my dad is also a doctor, and so both of my parents always said that an uncirc-ed penis needs to be retracted and cleaned regularly. They have never mentioned a waiting period before cleaning because of a need for natural retraction. Growing up with parents with a strong and valued opinion in the medical community, where people really trust that whatever they're told is accurate and best, has given me a firsthand perspective of how easily inaccurate information can sway the masses. greensad.gif This really upsets me. I made the mistake of mentioning to my mom recently that we were going to co-sleep with the baby...... she didn't understand what I was telling her. She was like, "Oh, you mean having the cradle in the bedroom with you?" and I said, "No... the baby in bed with me." I smacked myself in the head and knew she was going to start voicing her unwelcome concerns about smothering the baby, etc. And boy did she! I calmly responded with, "If you read the research on those cases, Mom, you will understand more. Your view is based on fears voiced in the media. There is a lot more to it than that. It's a personal decision, so that's fine if you don't agree with it." She tried refuting it more but I quickly changed the subject.

I'm so tired of mainstream viewpoints about everything regarding pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and parenting! It's killing me! help.gif I still can't come to terms with the fact that anything we women do that is "natural" seems to be shunned these days. It makes me angry with the world. I'm super supportive of people making whatever decisions they want for their families, and I would never want to force my own opinion on them or seem judgmental in any way! I'm just a really big supporter of informed consent, and I get really upset when uninformed people voice their opinions to others and sway their views without proper knowledge. greensad.gif That seems to be all that I encounter these days... a complete lack of informed consent.

sosurreal09 likes this.

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#92 of 96 Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

I don't know if I missed where this might've been covered on the thread or not, but do they really not use anesthetic of any kind during that procedure? Or do they use local anesthetic at least?

This depends on the doctor performing the surgery.  Many will use a local, but apparently the efficacy of a local is in dispute.  I know from my own experiences that the local often wears off quickly and only works for the very top layers of skin.  Once you cut or poke below that, there's usually full feeling.  So it is not uncommon for doctors forgo the painkillers b/c of this- saying it's just better to get it over with quicker. 

Quote:
I'm so tired of mainstream viewpoints about everything regarding pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and parenting! It's killing me! help.gif I still can't come to terms with the fact that anything we women do that is "natural" seems to be shunned these days. It makes me angry with the world. I'm super supportive of people making whatever decisions they want for their families, and I would never want to force my own opinion on them or seem judgmental in any way! I'm just a really big supporter of informed consent, and I get really upset when uninformed people voice their opinions to others and sway their views without proper knowledge. greensad.gif That seems to be all that I encounter these days... a complete lack of informed consent.

nod.gif  ITA!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#93 of 96 Old 07-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Honestly, hubby is not but my sons are. This a good question. Really goos feedback too.

#94 of 96 Old 07-24-2011, 05:26 PM

Chena- your husband is intact, but you circumcised your boys? That's so unusual.  May I ask why?

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#95 of 96 Old 08-16-2011, 03:21 PM

Yeah that is very unusual....

So from what *I* personally experienced in my past profession as a nurse aide, the circs I have seen (in a BIG name hospital in NE) they literally just put sugar on a binky and popped it in the mouth right before they cut them. They said "it was enough of a distraction" NO pain meds period....it was absolutely horrifying. The babies I saw mostly went into shock and/or passed out..followed by unbelievable screaming...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#96 of 96 Old 08-16-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just thoroughly glad that I am making the decision by myself to leave this one intact. My ex would not have approved at all, just cuz "he had it done". Seriously, if God had thought it was better for boys to have the skin pulled back, or appear cut, they would have been born that way. I really regret and recently kind of grieved for my first son, who I got circumcised, because I was told it was more beneficial to him(17 years old, young and dumb, gullible, mainstream). I feel so horrible for the pain he went through, and the pain he endured as a toddler, because he had to be recut a tad bit, because the skin was pulling(circumcision was done too tight).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page