Vaccinations? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 09-02-2011, 06:54 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Annie, I think marginally possible, but extremely unlikely.  In the case of the paper cut situation, the cut would need to bleed enough to drip onto a surface or your child AND the blood would then need to get into your child via an open wound or mucus membrane like the mouth or eye before the teacher noticed and cleaned things up properly.  Not only does this situation seem quite unlikely, but the teacher would also have to be infected with the disease, which is also unlikely.  In the case of the toilet, what are the chances that your child is going to the bathroom on a toilet that a menstruating women is using?  Usually the kids use a different bathroom and those bathrooms are cleaned after every class.  So again you would have to have the unlikely scenario of a menstruating woman using a preschool potty, smearing blood on the toilet seat (and not cleaning it up), the woman being infected with the disease, and your child sufficiently rubbing her body parts in the blood and then on her mucus membranes.  Again, not too likely since at preschool the teachers are also very careful about children washing their hands afterward.

I personally would not worry.  smile.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#32 of 36 Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 AM

Jaimee - Is it difficult to enroll children in school if they're not vaccinated? I've gotten mixed messages from people about this. Is religious reasoning the only "acceptable" reason according to the schools for not vaccinating? Public schools can't really turn your kids away because they aren't vaxed, can they? This all makes me nervous! But I don't want to vaccinate early on... maybe later in childhood but not as babies.

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#33 of 36 Old 09-02-2011, 08:30 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

It can be complicated or quite easy.  It depends on your state laws and the paperwork you need to fill out.  For example, in Maryland, there was simply a form I had to print out and sign saying that we do not vaccinate.  Easy.  No issues.  Here in IL, I have to write a separate letter explaining my religious beliefs.  We are not religious.  Some institutions are real sticklers for the letter, too.  I've seen sample letters from other moms and they were DETAILED with quotes from scripture.  I was not comfortable doing that, so I came up with some flowery language about our spiritual beliefs, being natural and unmedicated, blah, blah.  Most of it I feel was pretty true, but I definitely embellished.  It's a tough call.  On one hand I don't like to lie and I don't think I should have to either.  But on the other hand, I'm going to do what I need to do in order to not vaccinate and get my kid into school.

You can find your state laws online pretty easily and if you have any trouble, let me know and/or post in the Finding Your Tribe or Vaccination fourms.  But I will say, the trick is to not vax at all or at least say you do not.  Selectively vaccinating is not usually tolerated b/c it would not likely fall into a religious belief (though it is possible since some vaxes are made in such a way as to conflict with religious beliefs while others do not).

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#34 of 36 Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

In Oregon it's easy to send an un-vacc'd child to school.  There is some protocol, like my DS can't attend school for several weeks if there is a break-out of a vacc'd disease.  Other than that, I have to sign a form every year.  I've never had an issue.  My younger siblings are also unvacc'd  and attended public school in California without issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

Jaimee - Is it difficult to enroll children in school if they're not vaccinated? I've gotten mixed messages from people about this. Is religious reasoning the only "acceptable" reason according to the schools for not vaccinating? Public schools can't really turn your kids away because they aren't vaxed, can they? This all makes me nervous! But I don't want to vaccinate early on... maybe later in childhood but not as babies.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#35 of 36 Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 AM

Oh okay, good to know. I'll look into Wisconsin's laws. smile.gif

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#36 of 36 Old 09-02-2011, 10:30 AM

DD1 is partially vaxed, DD2 has had none, and this baby will have none. I don't plan to get them any when they are older unless we are traveling or something like that. I suspect we did have whooping cough this year.  I thought we all had a cold, but then DD2 ( the only one of us who has never received any vaccines for it) had this cough that went ON and ON for three months, it was right when she weaned too, and my milk had already dried up and my colostrum wasn't in, so I couldn't even sneak breastmilk into her food or anything.  It was never serious enough that I felt she needed to go to a doctor though, but the progress of it fit pertussis exactly.  Everyone seems so scared of Pertussis, but I kind of wonder if that's because it SEEMS a lot more of a big deal because the mild cases are not being diagnosed.  JMO.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page