So, who else is in Western Washington? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The last thread I wrote has me curious how many of us are in the Western Washington area?  I'm in West Seattle.

#2 of 29 Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM

I'm in Olympia!

Gluten and dairy allergic mama to DS1 luxlove.gif (08/08) homebirth.jpg, DS2 babyboy.gif (11/11) homebirth.jpgand unintentional uc.jpg , wife to DHwild.gif, and grad school student.   lactivist.gif  fly-by-nursing2.gif novaxnocirc.gif

#3 of 29 Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM

I posted it in the last thread- I'm outside of Tacoma.  In a really really tiny town I guarantee nobody has ever heard of :)

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#4 of 29 Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Ash, now I'm just curious!  Tell us!  orngbiggrin.gif

I grew up in Lynnwood and have lived in Bellingham (WWU graduate) and the Ravenna area of Seattle.  Dh grew up in Bonney Lake.  Then we  moved... to Tucson, AZ; Austin, TX; Baltimore, MD and soon Urbana-Champaign, IL. 

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#5 of 29 Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

I know, Ash, geez  ;)

I lived in Puyallup for a while and had stomping grounds in most of the surrounding areas, though I grew up in Fairwood.  My husband is a born and raised Seattleite from the north end.

#6 of 29 Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM

But if I tell you the name any creepy creeper online could come murder me.  Haha.  I will say, its in between Tacoma and Bremerton, if that gives you a better idea of the location...and if you know the area, you know there is just barely anything between those two places.

Its awesome to see some local people on here!

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#7 of 29 Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Kenmore here. I was born/raised here, spent a year or 2 in Bothell, couple years in Louisville, KY when dh and I were first married/dd born, a couple years in Portland, a year in Woodinville, and now I'm reeeally hoping to just get comfy in Kenmore and stick around here awhile :)

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#8 of 29 Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 AM

I'm in the area too, let's say near Tacoma.

#9 of 29 Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Cool!  Nice to see some other Washingtonians!

#10 of 29 Old 06-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Me, me!! I'm in Fairwood (Renton/Maple Valley area)!!

Hello! joy.gif

#11 of 29 Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hello LunaLady!  Please, bring me some Shakey's Pizza  ;)

#12 of 29 Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 AM

Hello :)

We actually haven't eaten there, yet!! We just moved here last fall (well, that's quite a while ago, now, but it still seems like it was just yesterday!). We've had more Papa Murphy's than I'd like to admit, though ROTFLMAO.gif

#13 of 29 Old 06-21-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

I grew up on Shakey's and I've been craving is like crazy since getting pregnant!  We always loved their pizza and an order of "Mojos" which are yummy round sliced potatoes with seasoning.  I keep hoping it's as good as I remember, but I've been afraid of finding out maybe it's actually more like Chuck-E-Cheese! blush.gif  LOL

Where did you live before?

#14 of 29 Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 AM

I grew up in Kent/Federal Way area and then lived in Puyallup when my parents moved when I was 18, and then moved in with my DH (then boyfriend) in Northgate/Lake City area when I was 19, then we moved to Kenmore/Kirkland area after we got married in 2008, and last year we bought our house in Fairwood. So I've lived a little of everywhere! thumb.gif

My dad works in West Seattle - maybe you know his shop? It's Swedish Automotive on 35th. Great place if you need work on a Saab, Volvo, Subaru or Mini biggrinbounce.gif

#15 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I do know that shop!  At least, I've driven by it many a time.  Also, kind of funny that we've had a lot of the same stomping grounds, in pretty much the same order, too, because my family is in a lot of those locations!  It's a small world, eh?  winky.gif

#16 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 07:25 AM

It is a small world!! But, this is a wonderful area of the world in which to live - so I'm not surprised to see so many people from here! :D

I could use some more sunshine this 'summer', though.... It's been rather bleak!!

#17 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 AM

My SIL lives in Puyallup.  Are any of you involved in parenting groups around there?  I know she's gotten involved a bit with the Tacoma Children's Museum outings and she goes to that park with the stage in downtown Puyallup all the time.  I would be great if she could meet up with more like-minded mamas than she has been able to so far.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#18 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 07:55 AM

I've looked on MeetUp.com and there are LOTS of parenting groups in the Seattle/Tacoma area. Lots of groups for every interest and style of parenting. She should check it out! :)

#19 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 08:02 AM

She did check some of those out.  I guess some are not very active and others are not very good.  I think one of them is the one that goes to the Children's Museum, though I'm not sure.  I hooked her up with all those groups and Yahoo Groups and API and LLL, but I guess not a lot is terribly active or terribly close.  Driving with little ones can sometimes not feel worth the trip.

#20 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Oh, yes I can understand. I'm sorry she hasn't found anything close to her! The library also sometimes has groups, so if she hasn't checked that? 

That's all I can think of! thumb.gif

#21 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

PEPS is the only other thing I can think of.  Meetup.com can be a great source, but I certainly know from experience that some groups do not keep up on it.  I think the next best thing to do anywhere is get out there with your kiddos and introduce yourself at the playground, coffee shop, book store, library story-time, etc.  It will be easier (hopefully) with the weather (attempting) to perk up around here, and if you frequent a place enough you find yourself running into the same people again.  bump.gif

#22 of 29 Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 PM

Hello- I may be too early but I thought I would post...I am in Woodinville and have a 1 month old daughter...would love to meet up with other moms....

#23 of 29 Old 07-18-2011, 06:23 PM

Hello W.WA ladies!

I just wanted to say that when DH and I were at the Tukwila Costco yesterday they had ERGObaby carriers there for $79.99!!!! I had to force myself not to get one because I have it on our registry... but just wanted to throw it out there! Not sure if all locations will have them - you know how Costco is - but the Tukwila one did have them in all kinds of colors. They didn't have the organic ones, though. If they did I likely would have bought one... I was really tempted to get the grey one with stars, though! 

#24 of 29 Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

Hello W.WA ladies!

I just wanted to say that when DH and I were at the Tukwila Costco yesterday they had ERGObaby carriers there for $79.99!!!! I had to force myself not to get one because I have it on our registry... but just wanted to throw it out there! Not sure if all locations will have them - you know how Costco is - but the Tukwila one did have them in all kinds of colors. They didn't have the organic ones, though. If they did I likely would have bought one... I was really tempted to get the grey one with stars, though! 

Cool!  Thanks for the tip!  I think I'm going to check it out today, that is a great deal.  =D

#25 of 29 Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersbyjasmin View Post

Cool!  Thanks for the tip!  I think I'm going to check it out today, that is a great deal.  =D

No problem! Always trying to share a deal  thumb.gif

#26 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 PM

I went to the Woodinville Costco today, and they do not have the ERGO's...bummer! 

#27 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 05:26 PM

Oh, sad! Sorry about that, MommyEli. It's annoying how Costco doesn't have consistent inventory, huh? Boo.

#28 of 29 Old 08-31-2011, 04:02 PM

Hi WA girls...

My MW asked today if I have a pediatrician selected, yet - and obviously I haven't. I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations?

I am looking for someone who will work with me on doing no or limited vax. An ND would be great, but I am fine with an understanding MD, too.

Also, anyone have a pediatrician or family doctor that understands the importance of a traditional/primal/paleo/gluten free diet??

Thanks! love.gif

#29 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

Hi WA girls...

My MW asked today if I have a pediatrician selected, yet - and obviously I haven't. I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations?

I am looking for someone who will work with me on doing no or limited vax. An ND would be great, but I am fine with an understanding MD, too.

Also, anyone have a pediatrician or family doctor that understands the importance of a traditional/primal/paleo/gluten free diet??

Thanks! love.gif

We see Candace Aasan at Cascade Natural Medicine.  She's an ND, and totally vaccine friendly.  My family is vegan, and she has "suggested" that I feed my kids certain things that I wouldn't allow (buffalo, for one...lol), however she is NOT pushy at all.  She even makes a point to say that she doesn't want me to do anything I don't feel okay with.  (She also suggested giving my youngest son eggs, because of some behavioral issues he was having.  She thought the amino acids may help him.)

Anyway, I love their practice!  http://www.cascadenaturalmedicine.com/

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

Hoping for a babygirl.gif in November!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page