Anyone planning a Unassisted Birth ? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 61 Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ya know, I'm vain too.  But I love growing babies, birthing babies, nursing babies so much.  I love watching my children with their new sibling.  I love watching them all grow together, homeschooling them, all of it....well no, but most of it.  wink1.gif  My husband keeps promising me new boobs.  He says, "Next year's your year, hon."  Then I'm either pregnant or nursing.  Otherwise, I think my body's negotiated these births rather well.  I have a few stretch marks, but they're on my hips, ew, so I don't know that I can truly say they're from pregnancy, or me just eating too much ice cream.  My belly and breasts have come through without any, really.

And um, my oldest and dearest friend, who only has two kids, and is 37, has been talking about vaginal rejuvenation surgery.  blush.gif  Yeah.  I think she's nuts, but her vanity is irrefutable and she has no problems copping to it either. 

justamama likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 61 Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh I agree! Birthing them is the BEST part for me, in my opinion. Even when I had my first one at 17, I was like "I am so ready to do this again when I can afford it!" lol I mean, I didn't like how my body looked afterwards, but for the experience of everything leading up to the birth and then the birth process, I love it.

PS ( If I could EVER afford it, I'd have my breasts lifted, and get a tuck from the extra skin on my belly after I hit a goal weight) But this is a total YEAH RIGHT! for me, cuz I'm broke as hell. lol

#33 of 61 Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 PM

whoops

#34 of 61 Old 07-09-2011, 11:04 AM

LOL when I was in labor with my first I told my husband we were adopting all our next children.  As I pulled her out of the water I said "We are SO doing this again!"  I'm looking forward to this birth. : )

sara-on-the-lake likes this.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#35 of 61 Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

how is everyone feeling?

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#36 of 61 Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post

how is everyone feeling?

Great! I've not much of an appetite today, but am keeping back plenty of water, and my doctor said as long as I'm hydrated and eating healthy when I can to not worry about it if I don't gain (I'm still -2lbs for this pregnancy). I plan to buy a juicer tomorrow since I keep liquids down easier, so that the bulk of my nutrition can be gotten in an easier form for me and juice assimilates quickly. That way I can focus food on what I like, and what I feel like eating instead of trying to eat any crap I can just to get some calories in me. I'm hoping the new outlook means I can stop taking my nausea medicine as well, since it makes me so tired that I wind up sleeping TOO much the night/next afternoon after I take some, and then unable to sleep for 24 or so hours afterwards. Not good when you have kids to keep up with and take care of. They get tired grumpy mama!

I'm trying to get some walking in each day, whether it's around my neighborhood or a store or wherever. My SPD is a LOT better when I can manage this. I still get pain, but it just isn't AS bad. And I know from past experience it can help with the insomnia as well. It also can't hurt to get in shape before the marathon of labor, right?

I'm getting really excited about the birth. We had our anatomy scan, verified placenta is in a good place for UCing, baby is healthy with no apparent need to be in a hospital, etc. I'm really excited to meet the baby! For a while I was unsure, as I knew DH planned on this being our last, and while I'd be fine with that, I wasn't interested in hearing that right now. Well I suggested a second middle name if baby is a boy- it's a name I REALLY want to use with a lot of personal meaning to me. His response was "We're going to have a gazillion kids anyway, chances are you'll get to use it on one of the next ones." :D That just made me much more excited about the entire thing, lol!

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#37 of 61 Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

LOL when I was in labor with my first I told my husband we were adopting all our next children.  As I pulled her out of the water I said "We are SO doing this again!"  I'm looking forward to this birth. : )

ROTFLMAO.gifI'm rolling laughing reading this. lol That's how I was in the most painful parts of labor. But the intensity and the pushing and holding baby immediately afterwards, just....there's nothing like it.

#38 of 61 Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 AM

No ma'am. I do think it's amazing for those that do.

#39 of 61 Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

how is everyone feeling?

I started cutting back on carbs, and all the sudden I'm not peeing a million times a day and I have more energy!  I was really dragging, and I can feel a HUGE difference if I eat too many carbs or sugar for a meal.  Everyone was telling me it was normal to be so tired, but I never was to that extent with my first two.  I am so happy I figured it out. : )

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#40 of 61 Old 08-11-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

bump.gif

Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#41 of 61 Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 AM

I was telling DH about all the craziness on the HB forum lately and said something about OB's being surgeons, and he was "wait, WHAT?  Then why are they seeing normal pregnancies at all?" ROTFLMAO.gif It's like he knew that, but didn't really ever think about it.  I'm just working on him bit by bit, hopefully he'll come around soon.  He is sooooo much less scared of birth then he was with our first, maybe someday he'll be gung-ho about UC too.

#42 of 61 Old 08-12-2011, 07:13 AM

I was looking at photos of an unassisted breech birth the other night and DH happened to see it and he was like "OMG! What the hell IS that?!" And then he saw what was going on in the picture and he was like turn it off! Turn it off! LMAO I looked at him and said "you watched both of your kids being born. What's wrong with this?" Well, it's just not normal! haha It was kinda funny, and I wanted to poke at him some more about it cuz I thought it was funny that he thought it odd a baby was coming out the opposite way that it usually does. lol

#43 of 61 Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 AM

I totally sent my DH some blogs about breech births and he opened it up and said "what IS this?"  He read them though. I hadn't realized that just touching the baby can cause a reflex and have them move their arms, I always thought the "hands off breech" rule was to avoid yanking.

#44 of 61 Old 08-13-2011, 02:16 AM

I still laugh to myself when I think of DH "What the HELL?.........." haha It's still a baby coming out of a woman, only the opposite way. "It's just not normal." lol

#45 of 61 Old 08-18-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone worried about what you have to do to get a birth certificate ?

#46 of 61 Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 PM

I'm a little worried about being hassled while getting a birth certificate, but I know where to get the paperwork and stuff.

#47 of 61 Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 PM

We call our local vital statistics office, and they send the paperwork. We fill it out and the Dr gives us a letter certifying he saw the baby w/in 24 hrs for the nb screen...

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#48 of 61 Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 AM

I'm not having an UC, but homebirth with a midwife is illegal in GA, so you sort of have to pretend you had an UC when you get the birth certificate. I had to fill out some prenatal records (pretended I'd kept up with them all along) with dates, etc. Then I needed a letter with witness signatures stating they saw the baby around the time it was born. Used dh and my mom for that. Then, of course, was the actual state form they gave me to apply for the certificate. It was very simple, no one gave me any trouble or even asked any questions. Hth! :)

Quote:

Anyone worried about what you have to do to get a birth certificate ?

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#49 of 61 Old 08-19-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Vital Records wasn't that helpful. They won't send anything til after the baby is born and the one thing i found on line for our county  in pdf form was from 2008 and it says how it has to be done within 10days of birth.

#50 of 61 Old 08-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

We had an illegal CPM for my hb with ds so she could not fill out the birth certificate paperwork for us either.  We just called vital records and the state of Maryland sent out a nurse to verify that ds was in fact a real baby and asked us a few questions involving my prenatal care, the pediatrician, etc..  We were simply careful to not mention our mw's name and listed dh as the birth attendant (which he was since we had our mw stay in the next room during the birth anyway).  Honestly the most annoying part about the process was spelling ds' name.  We gave him two middle names and the nurse was flustered the entire time saying that they would likely get it wrong.  I have no idea why.  But they got it right on the birth certificate and wrong on the SS card.  Anyway, once you file for the birth certificate, they file for the SS card for you and that will come in the mail.  Then you can order copies of the birth certificate online.  It's not hard.

After doing some more research now that we're actually here in Illinois, I may get the birth I was hoping for!  There is a "birth photographer" that used to be a midwife (but quit due to the hostile climate here) that is willing to be present at the birth in case anything happens!  I need to meet her and see how I feel about her and the situation, but that would be ideal!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#51 of 61 Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Have you tried searching using the phrase "out-of-hospital birth"?  It took some delving and finally I found that term on a midwife site.  I added that plus the name of my county in google to find what I needed.

#52 of 61 Old 08-23-2011, 05:38 PM

Kami, try starting a thread in the Finding Your Tribe area. I'm sure there are moms there who have done it before.

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#53 of 61 Old 08-28-2011, 06:58 PM

Umm....Hi everyone!  This is my first post in this DDC, but I'm a longtime-MDC-mama, pregnant with #5, due in Nov, and planning a UC :)  I haven't been hanging out here for a long time, due to computer issues and other weirdness.  When I first found out I was pregnant, I joined the DDC on DiaperSwappers--but they are so much more mainstream than I am, it's just not my style, LOL.

I planned a UC once before, with my 3rd baby, but panicked at 43 weeks with no support, no money, and LOTS of stress.  That was a horrible hospital birth--natural, quick, but obscenely stressful.  If I had known then that there was such a thing as birth assault, I would have pressed charges. gloomy.gif  But I digress.  I'm very psyched to be planning a UC this time, and very much more zen about it!  

Now to post an intro thread...  :D

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#54 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 06:00 PM

-

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#55 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

One other thing... I had no idea that home-birth midwifery was illegal in some states. SERIOUSLY?!

Homebirth itself is never illegal, but the midwives that attend homebirths are often illegal.  In many states CNM's can only attend homebirths if they are overseen by an MD of some sort and most MD's are not willing to do that.  In other states CPM's cannot even be licensed to be overseen by an MD, so they are always illegal in those states.  Not to mention DEM's and LM's.  You can check out the status of mw's by state here: http://mana.org/statechart.html   I just happen to be living in Maryland and Illinois while birthing my last two babies... bad luck!

But the good news is that we are hiring an illegal mw here (the birth photographer I mentioned above) and she is willing to give us the birth we're looking for... just checking FHT's once when she arrives and once when my water breaks.  That's it!  No other protocols!  Yay!!!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#56 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 06:57 PM

-

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#57 of 61 Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 AM

So when my mom was trying to scare me out of homebirth, she kept bringing up the dead baby card saying if the baby dies CPS will be called on me. Would this be true? Since UC isn't illegal, that shouldn't happen at all, right?

#58 of 61 Old 09-09-2011, 07:14 AM

Honestly, it is possible, even if baby is perfectly fine. A friend of mine had her first two at home w/ MWs, #3 was a UC. The neighbor found out and called CPS, and she was on their radar for quite some time. She had a MW there with #4, just to be on the safe side (because of CPS, not because she thought UC was dangerous). We live in Texas, where there is very much a "you do what you want, I do what I want" attitude, but she still had issues. (I also have a friend who had CPS called at the hospital for refusing eye ointment!)

My thoughts are, if the baby dies, CPS is the least of my concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

So when my mom was trying to scare me out of homebirth, she kept bringing up the dead baby card saying if the baby dies CPS will be called on me. Would this be true? Since UC isn't illegal, that shouldn't happen at all, right?

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#59 of 61 Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 AM

If you search the UC forum you'll find many a post about CPS being called and what the parents had to deal with regarding home visits.  There are also recommendations for how to handle CPS should they show up on your doorstep.

#60 of 61 Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

I started a thread over in the group here is the link. [=http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1329601/unassisted-birth#post_16655804]Unassisted birth[/]

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page