Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   November 2011 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16464-november-2011/)
-   -   Anyone planning a Unassisted Birth ? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16464-november-2011/1318459-anyone-planning-unassisted-birth.html)

SoCaliMommy 06-20-2011 03:17 PM

Was wondering if anyone is planning on a UC for this baby?

IwannaBanRN 06-21-2011 07:39 AM

I'm planning a UC. :)

SoCaliMommy 06-21-2011 09:41 AM

Glad to see i'm not the only one.  When i was in the June DDC before loosing the baby there were a lot of women planning a UC.

IwannaBanRN 06-21-2011 05:27 PM

It would be nice if there were more women planning a UC on this board but I'm sure another DDC club wouldn't mind being of support, like October board.

jasmin85 06-21-2011 05:46 PM

There are entire sections on the Mothering.com forums devoted to UC, try there.  =)

IwannaBanRN 06-21-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersbyjasmin View Post

There are entire sections on the Mothering.com forums devoted to UC, try there.  =)

I post in the UC forum all the time. I love it there! Very good advice and supply lists for exactly what you'll need, etc.

SoCaliMommy 06-21-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersbyjasmin View Post

I post in there also but figured it'd be nice to also find support with women that are also due at the same time which is why i asked if anyone else was planning one.

sunshinemoma 06-21-2011 11:22 PM

It is nice to know of mamas planning a UC around the same time :)  I was actually wondering the same thing this morning!  Thanks for adding the post.  Have you gathered supplies already?

Are you seeing a cp for prenatals?  

Jaimee 06-22-2011 07:08 AM

A couple others posted in this thread that the OP posted back in March: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1305989/anyone-else-planning-a-unassisted-birth.   There  is a slim possibility that we would do  a UC.  I actually prefer not to.  I prefer to find a mw that can give me what I'm looking for in terms of birth protocols, but that may not be possible. So if I decide closer to the birth that I really just don't want to deal with a more interventive mw and we don't really have the resources to pay out of pocket (since none of the hb mw's file insurance in IL) then we will revisit the idea of a UC.

IwannaBanRN 06-22-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post

I post in there also but figured it'd be nice to also find support with women that are also due at the same time which is why i asked if anyone else was planning one.

Exactly! Now we both know that we can use each other on this board for UC support. :)

mommie09 06-22-2011 11:30 AM

i was going to plan one but i am a high risk because of my son (previous pregnancy). he was born with spinal bifidia.

jasmin85 06-22-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

Exactly! Now we both know that we can use each other on this board for UC support. :)

Understandable =)  Just making sure you had the other forums where EVERYONE is having one. 

SoCaliMommy 06-22-2011 12:59 PM

I haven't bought any supplies and probably wont until September.  I'm doing prenatal care with a midwife. We live 45min freeway drive from the hospital without traffic. I plan on asking what they would want me to do if i couldn't make it to the hospital just to see what they say.

SoCaliMommy 06-22-2011 01:03 PM

oops now i feel stupid for starting this thread, i forgot i started one beforehide.gif  

the other thread was here http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1305989/anyone-else-planning-a-unassisted-birth

Jaimee 06-22-2011 02:17 PM

Oh, don't feel stupid!  Easy to forget.  I just remembered seeing it earlier and thought there were a few more people that had posted in it.  smile.gif

justamama 06-22-2011 04:17 PM

We're back to planning a UC, so long as our ultrasound shows a healthy baby and good placenta placement, etc. We won't be ordering supplies until the beginning of October.

Paigekitten 06-24-2011 05:39 PM

Officially, no. But um, my feelings wouldn't be hurt at all if I just happened to birth this baby all by myself.  DH is not on board with planning a UP or UC so we have midwives, but he is very VERY supportive of what I need in labor in the moment. if I asked him not to call them over right away, or wanted to hole up in my room alone I am pretty sure he'd be okay, as long as he knew the midwives were a phone call away, on their way, or in the other room.

SoCaliMommy 06-24-2011 06:38 PM

If my dh was to get his way, this baby would be born in a hospital., last time i brought up having a UC he just say "we'll see". I haven't brought it up lately. I really wanted a UC with my son but my hired me a doula so we stuck with the hospital.  

With my son's med free birth i was walking around at 8cm holding on a phone conversation no problem. 

abc123xyz 06-27-2011 07:03 PM

I have kind of a tricky situation where we are technically doing a UC but we have a great friend who use to be a midwife who will be present with her knowledge. She is so off hands that it really is like birthing with just a great friend. On the flip side, I know that she would be quick to intervene if there was something that necessitates it! I love the arrangement! It gives me the freedom to have my partially unassisted birth but my husband the peace of mind that having a skilled birth professional present allows.

SoCaliMommy 06-27-2011 08:02 PM

What  reasons will you transfer to the hospital for ?

justamama 06-27-2011 09:31 PM

Ours is up in the air again. DH and I will both be surprised if the levy keeping our town from being 10' under water lasts through the summer. So, if that happens, obviously we evacuate. We'll be leaving the area we live and not moving back, as this has never felt like home anyway, and we're taking it as our sign that it's time to move on. So, not really thinking it's a bad thing. But, we'll be evacuating in a 12' travel trailer and our vehicles to a new area about 2.5 hrs northeast of where we are. DH's company has a division there, we're sure if we are evacuated they could push an emergent transfer through, etc.

Which means if we're in the RV still, obviously we won't UC unless it's an actual "there's no time" scenario. I'm huge homebirther, but I'm not quite at that level of hardcore. UC in a 12' camper with 3 little ones, 2 dogs, and a cat? No thanks! At that point we'd be planning a hospital birth.

If we were in a rental or a new to us home at that point, UC would be a go.

carrieb26 06-28-2011 07:54 PM

I'm not planning one, but my husband would much prefer a UC.  Our last was a planned homebirth/unplanned UC.  Labor was very fast, and in many ways I preferred it over our first birth. It was just me and DH, labor was pretty easy, no complications during birth/labor, but the membranes got hung up and once the MW got there (An hour after birth) she worked for quite a while to makes sure all of the membranes came out intact. So, while I like just us, doing our own thing, I'm not quite ready to give up having our skilled attendant "just in case." She's willing to just hang out in the other room and let us do our thing and call on her if needed.

But, I'm preparing for the distinct possibility that birth will be unassisted.

Carrie

IwannaBanRN 06-28-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

If my dh was to get his way, this baby would be born in a hospital., last time i brought up having a UC he just say "we'll see". I haven't brought it up lately. I really wanted a UC with my son but my hired me a doula so we stuck with the hospital.  

With my son's med free birth i was walking around at 8cm holding on a phone conversation no problem. 

That's how my fiance was at first. And then I showed him some statistics, and educated him on it as I was learning the information. He knows as well as I do the warning signs of danger during labor and delivery, and we're 5 minutes from the hospital, so his mind is made up also that he wants a UC. At first, he said he only went along with it cuz that's what I wanted, but he is looking forward to a peaceful birth with just us and possibly the kids unless I get loud and dramatic. lol

Abraisme 06-29-2011 09:21 AM

This is what my sister did, only she had a regular OB.  Unfortunately, she had a life threatening post-delivery complication and had to be hospitalized for 5 days.  When they got to the hospital they got A LOT of crap, but managed to over-come in the end.  Her issue would have happened whether she was in the hospital for the delivery or not.  She still does not regret doing the UC and then having to transfer.  I hope it all works out for you! 

I would do an UC if my only other option was a standard hospital birth.  Luckily in OR it's legal to have a homebirth and we can afford to pay the midwives ourselves.

Quote:

I haven't bought any supplies and probably wont until September.  I'm doing prenatal care with a midwife. We live 45min freeway drive from the hospital without traffic. I plan on asking what they would want me to do if i couldn't make it to the hospital just to see what they say.

Jaimee 06-29-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkseawell View Post

we have a great friend who use to be a midwife who will be present with her knowledge. She is so off hands that it really is like birthing with just a great friend. On the flip side, I know that she would be quick to intervene if there was something that necessitates it! I love the arrangement! It gives me the freedom to have my partially unassisted birth but my husband the peace of mind that having a skilled birth professional present allows.

I really envy you this situation!  I would love this.  My sister is a CPM and refused to do this for me b/c she said she would be liable for anything going wrong and could lose her license even if we had not hired her as our care provider. 

abc123xyz 07-05-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

I really envy you this situation!  I would love this.  My sister is a CPM and refused to do this for me b/c she said she would be liable for anything going wrong and could lose her license even if we had not hired her as our care provider. 

Yes, it is a great situation. See, here where I live, midwives are unlicensed and illegal anyways, so anytime she attended a birth, she would be liable! It really doesn't change her position any. I guess it comes down to the philosophy behind being a midwife: are you there to facilitate birth and make money or are you there to fight for the rights of women no matter what the cost? I adore the midwives in our state who are willing to put everything on the line to give women, like me, and families, like ours, the birth we want!

Are you hiring your sister, then? That would be special. What constitutes "hiring"? Does money have to exchange hands? Dr's birth their own babies all of the time (men for their wives), so it seems this isn't a conflict of any king. I just wonder what her position is!

Jaimee 07-06-2011 10:25 AM

Kristina- CPM's as well as most CNM's (those that are not overseen by an MD) are illegal here in Maryland and are also in Illinois where I'm moving, too.  The legality wasn't the issue.  It was the fact that if she were present in my house while I was giving birth WITHOUT another care provider present that I had hired then she would be liable for anything that goes wrong.  She was willing to be present IF I hired a different care provider to be responsible for my care.   She didn't want me to hire her really b/c she would have had to lug all her equipment across the country plus her care style was not in line with what I was looking for.  I really wanted a very hands off, no-protocol type of mw and my sister is new to the field and very much wed to her training and protocols.  She would have wanted to take frequent FHT's, watch the baby's descent and crowning, etc.  Not what I was looking for.  Anyway, we did hire a different care provider and my sister was present for my last birth, but with everything that went down with her and how she was at the birth was really quite disastrous for our relationship.  I will not be inviting her to be present again (that story can be read in another thread in this forum).

So your situation is wonderful.  It sounds like your friend doesn't mind simply being present and doesn't have any protocols she is requiring. 

Lula's Mom 07-06-2011 07:25 PM

We are planning a UC. This will be our third one.  With my first baby, I had a homebirth with a midwife in Texas.  She was nice, I liked her, but she was a CNM and had to follow some protocols I didn't care for (like iv antibiotics during labor for a +GBS test weeks before).  And I hated her backup, who blew in like the wicked witch and pretty much ruined everything.  So for #2 (and then #3!), we chose to not hire anyone.

DH was really unsure about UC the first time I brought it up.  He was raised in a very medically-minded family, where his Grandma was a nurse and his mom works in a hospital lab. His mom was very worried about our plans, like "Tell me when she goes into labor so I can start praying!"  But he trusts me so he just asked for more information and said whatever I wanted is what we'd do.  Nowadays, I don't think he can imagine doing it any other way.  He is very vocal about birth, breastfeeding, etc in his group at work (it seems like somebody's wife is always pregnant) and has told everyone how amazing UC is for us.

sara-on-the-lake 07-06-2011 09:25 PM

I'm planning to UC.  This will be my third UC, fifth homebirth, eighth baby. 

My dh has been on board for every change toward autonomy and away from the medical model every step of the way.

I'm due 11/29, but I'm always 6-8 days late (and one birth was 11 days late), so I feel like I should be in the December DDC.  smile.gif  My own birthday is 12/5.  Not that I'm hoping she comes on that day!  Just sayin'...it's possible.

IwannaBanRN 07-06-2011 09:54 PM

Dang! I am way too vain to have 8. lol I complain about my body so much as it is. Kudos to you. :)