Rejecting standard procedures--for those who hospital birth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 06-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Thanks Katie, I missed them when the thread jumped to the next page.  We will still be declining the shot, but I will put more thought into supplementation while breastfeeding.

Yeah, I think I'd be much more comfortable with that, too.  Just had my midwife appointment today - next time I'll ask her about supplementation!

Katie, married to my beloved Paddy

Catherine Anne "KJ" born November 10th, 2011

#32 of 41 Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DDCC from December. DH and I just talked about all of these a few nights ago, so they are fresh in my mind. We pulled up a few articles regarding VitK that linked a significant increase in childhood leukemia to the VitK shot. Other studies have refuted these claims, but honestly the descriptions about why they think it may be so, make a lot of sense to me. That combined with the fact that the dose they give the baby is 20,000 times the normal metabolic levels... that just seems insane to me. I understand wanting to bring the levels up a bit, but 20,000 times, just doesn't seem normal. We will be declining the Vit K (and instead supplementing my diet through food and oral doses if needed) unless something with the birth indicates increased trauma and we feel the benefit outweighs the risk. 

We will decline everything else other than the heel prick to check PKU, although I had never stopped to think about the idea that it's more accurate/valid after the infant has had a chance to digest food. We hope to leave the hospital a few hours after birth, so I may talk to my family doctor (who will be the baby's doctor) about having her do it at a one week visit instead.

I'm glad DH is on board with us refusing all of these, although we're still on the fence about GBS protocol if I happen to test positive. We're in agreed that we want the information, so we will do the test, but we haven't decided what to do if it comes back positive. I am quite terrified of needles, so having to have an IV in during my entire labor I do believe has a strong risk of stalling my labor and ending up in a c-section, so I'm trying to consider that as well.  

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#33 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 04:06 AM

I also do the PKU test, as it only requires a few drops of blood and it could potentially save

My six year old still rembers this and she was weeks old at the time. I don't think I'll repeat it with this one.
#34 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 07:44 AM

How did anyone reject the Vitamin K and eye ointment if your babe(s) was born in NY? I live on Long Island and was told by my midwife and OB (previous birth) the state is VERY STRICT and you cannot get around it. Thanks for your help!  Sharon (Mama to Noah 10/14/05 & Grayson 6/1/07 and soon to be #3 around 7/22/11)

#35 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Welcome to MDC mamapierrogi!   I don't live in NY and don't know much about its laws (though I have heard horror stories about not vaccinating there).  Anyway, you might find the answers you are looking for by posting in the Finding Your Tribe section for NY.  I'm sure there are others that have encountered the same problem.  Good luck!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#36 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 AM

Just so you know Hepatitis B is not an STD. It is transmitted through the blood and affects the liver. Not a reason to give it to newborns but just wanted to make sure people don't think it's an STD......
#37 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

From the CDC...

Quote:
[Hepatitis B] is efficiently transmitted by percutaneous or mucous membrane exposure to infectious blood or body fluids that contain blood. The primary risk factors that have been associated with infection among adolescents and adults are unprotected sex with an infected partner, unprotected sex with more than one partner, MSM, history of other STDs, and illegal injecting-drug use.

So technically it is an STD, but is also transmitted via blood transfusions.  Which is why I mentioned in my other posts that the risk to a newborn is from blood transfusions.  Otherwise the main risk is sexual transmission, which I personally do not plan on worrying about for quite some time with my kids.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#38 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Thank you for the welcome Jaimee. I generally read the posts, but don't reply...I am a lurker..lol. I will try searching that section.  Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Welcome to MDC mamapierrogi!   I don't live in NY and don't know much about its laws (though I have heard horror stories about not vaccinating there).  Anyway, you might find the answers you are looking for by posting in the Finding Your Tribe section for NY.  I'm sure there are others that have encountered the same problem.  Good luck!

#39 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 04:16 PM

We refuse all of these and more :*) Vitamin K is routinely given as an insurance policy to the hospital and/or for surgical medical procedure. Although, if breastfeeding, Vitamin K is more than sufficient within the first few days of life. If a Dr. uses force to extract your baby, roughly handles, or drops your baby, they are insured against a severe brain bleed or other bleed. It's never been worth it to me because we homebirth. Even with our transport, we refused. No one was allowed to hold my baby except myself or my husband. You assure yourself a safe baby when you demand everything be done on your bed. It caused a lot of problems but made me rest easy and was peaceful and sweet for my baby. Refuse the eye ointment unless you have chlamydia or gonorrhea. Those two things are the only reason for the eye ointment. Refuse Hep B unless you anticipate your baby becoming an IV drug user or sexually active before 8-10 yrs of age. Because if you choose to vaccinate, they will get another at that time. We also refuse the PKU test all together but in hospital or upon birth because they are notoriously inconclusive and have to be re-done by your dr. Plus, it's a rare thing, even though it does occur, if you have no predisposition, it's highly unlikely.

Honestly, you have to do the research for yourself. It's helpful to know what other people have done, but in the end, you have to live with the decisions you make. No one else can stand accountable for those, in either way of influence. Our convictions all come from different places and we are all justified in them!

#40 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 05:43 PM

Definitely don't want the monitoring, I will keep that to a bare minimum. No iv fluids or npo rules. No circ if I have a boy. No pitocin or pain meds. I have herpes, so I'm thinking the eye ointment will be good for us, but vaginal exams should be avoided as much as possible. I will be talking to midwife about the other stuff, like vit k.

Btw I will prob birth @ birthing center

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

#41 of 41 Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Okay, thanks that helps me quit a bit.

Mommy fo one, hubby and dog; suffers from Depression & Fibromyalgia; First Year Nursing Student!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page