Braxton Hicks? When did they start for you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had my first braxton hicks contraction (of this pregnancy, 18 weeks 5 days) last night and it was shocking (not painful, just unexpected). Last time I had them all the time because my daughter was super active and it seemed like doing the littlest bit of any activity got them going. This one came on laying in bed and lasted like 45 seconds to a minute. It was really strange! When did they start for you?

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 PM

I had a couple around a month ago, maybe longer!  I'm currently 20 weeks, but it came as a surprise to me because I don't remember having ANY Braxton-Hicks contractions with my first pregnancy.  And, the two or three I had lasted 1-2 minutes. 

Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM

I have been having them for a while now- I would say I felt the first one around 12 weeks.  My uterus seems to be really giant, though.  I usually have a few a day.

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersbyjasmin View Post

I had a couple around a month ago, maybe longer!  I'm currently 20 weeks, but it came as a surprise to me because I don't remember having ANY Braxton-Hicks contractions with my first pregnancy.  And, the two or three I had lasted 1-2 minutes. 

Same here, except I'm not quite to 20 weeks yet. I was surprised at how early I felt them compared to 1st pregnancy.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Sometime around 14w.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 PM

I don't think I have had any ever. I also never felt any non pit contractions with my son though. Are bh like a tightening sensation?

Me + DH = DS (7) and DD born 10-27-11, an accidental UC!!  novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.gif 
Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajbaby View Post

I don't think I have had any ever. I also never felt any non pit contractions with my son though. Are bh like a tightening sensation?

Yep.  For me is just feels like my uterus is becoming taught, and it just kind of holds that way for a bit and then relaxes.  It's not painful, just a little uncomfortable (usually happens for me when I roll over to go to sleep). 

Old 06-27-2011, 10:06 PM

12 weeks or so.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 PM

I'm 19 weeks and I think they started around 14 weeks.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:39 PM

I started having them around 12 or 13 weeks.  I have them ALOT.  Not painful...sometimes uncomfortable.  With my 1st pregnancy, I don't recall having them until closer to the end of pregnancy, or maybe I had them and just thought it was something else.  I looked it up when I was having them early, and it seems that a lot of women had/have them earlier with subsequent pregnancies.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 AM

My 1st one was @ 20 weeks. Havn't really had any intense one recently.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I just started getting them regularly around 25 weeks.  Not painful, just pressure contractions.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 08-25-2011, 03:40 PM

As this is my first pregnancy I wasn't sure what to expect, but I did read up on them and I have been getting what I assume are BH for about 4 weeks, now (I'm at 30 weeks, now). In the last two weeks they have REALLY picked up, especially in the last week. I bet I get 12-15 during waking hours.... is that normal?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:38 PM

It can be normal, but you might also be pushing yourself too hard.  Often BH come on when you're taxing your body (bending, lifting, walking, cleaning, etc.) or if you're dehydrated.  I find it best to relax a bit and take a drink when I get them and they don't tend to return for a while.  I'd say I get 3-4 a day, more in the evening.  If you are getting pain or spotting then there would cause for concern that they are actually dilating you and you would need to get checked out.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 08-25-2011, 06:53 PM

I didn't have them at all with my first pregnancy ( or didn't feel them anyway), and I haven't felt any with this pregnancy (29 weeks). It might freak me out if I suddenly started feeling them!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

It can be normal, but you might also be pushing yourself too hard.  Often BH come on when you're taxing your body (bending, lifting, walking, cleaning, etc.) or if you're dehydrated.  I find it best to relax a bit and take a drink when I get them and they don't tend to return for a while.  I'd say I get 3-4 a day, more in the evening.  If you are getting pain or spotting then there would cause for concern that they are actually dilating you and you would need to get checked out.

I guess I must be dehydrated, then. I definitely don't feel like I'm taxing myself. I've gotten quite lazy, in fact! But, in my defense the only way to keep the swelling down in my feet (and in turn to keep my BP down) is to have my feet up shrug.gif

And no pain or spotting. I have a MW appointment next week, so I'll ask her about it, then. 

Thanks! You're a wealth of knowledge, Jaimee! joy.gif

Old 08-25-2011, 08:03 PM

Jaimee certainly gives great advice!  I have found that I get them more when I am doing some sort of physical activity or when I haven't had a glass of water in a while.  Water always makes them stop for me.  I think our water needs increase during the third trimester, isn't that right?  (looking at you, Jaimee, wealth of knowledge!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

I guess I must be dehydrated, then. I definitely don't feel like I'm taxing myself. I've gotten quite lazy, in fact! But, in my defense the only way to keep the swelling down in my feet (and in turn to keep my BP down) is to have my feet up shrug.gif

And no pain or spotting. I have a MW appointment next week, so I'll ask her about it, then. 

Thanks! You're a wealth of knowledge, Jaimee! joy.gif

Old 08-26-2011, 08:06 AM

Aw you guys are sweet!  love.gif  

LunaLady- taking the time to get your feet up is an excellent practice!  It will also help with spider veins.  Plus once that baby is born you'll be wishing you had the time to put your feet up for a bit.  Now is the time to pamper yourself as much as possible.

jbk21- I have always made it a goal to drink 3-4 liters of water a day.  I've heard that the average person loses about 2 liters a day in perspiration, urination, and respiration.  Pregnant women might need up to another 8 oz per hour to replenish amniotic fluid.  That's about 6 liters (craziness, I think).  So, when it's hot or you've been exercising, definitely aim for the full gallon.  Some pregnant women find it easier to get enough water by flavoring it with a bit of lemon, juice, or Emergen-C (or similar substance).  I believe the issue with the third tri is that dehydration can cause pre-term labor.  Staying hydrated also helps prevent bladder infections.

But also be sensitive to what your body is telling you.  It is actually possible to overdose on water, believe it or not, and more so when pregnant.  If you consume too much water without replenishing your electrolytes the imbalance can cause dizziness, fainting, and other symptoms.  Death is extremely rare and would involve massive doses of water (like a water drinking contest)- the real issue is feeling faint and possibly injuring yourself if you fall, especially if you're in the shower. 

Old 08-26-2011, 08:39 AM

My OB told me that pregnant women should drink 8 liters of water a day = about 32 cups! I think she must be doing the math wrong or maybe she means pints. That would be 32 trips to the bathroom for me.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post

My OB told me that pregnant women should drink 8 liters of water a day = about 32 cups! I think she must be doing the math wrong or maybe she means pints. That would be 32 trips to the bathroom for me.

I dunno... if some pg women need 6 liters a day (like those carrying twins, for example), then take the 2 liters normal people need + 6 liters and you get 8.  That is pretty crazy to me, but who knows.  I think I would spend my entire day drinking and peeing have no time for anything else!  lol.gif

User Tag List