Baby Shower Registry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

I will end up having 3 small baby showers thrown for me in 3 different states.  I am having to come to grips with registering, which I hated dealing with for my wedding, too... in the end very few people used it (which was nice) but I suspect people will stick to it more this time.  So... I was thinking about doing Amazon, b/c I can register for pretty much anything from anywhere (like, one thing I think I want to get is a Thule car rack storage thing, which is totally needed for extra baby gear, but I bet Babies R Us etc wouldn't carry anything like that).  But it also means everyone would have to order online, and there's no option to go to a store and buy something from the registry (granted, I live >1 hour from a Babies R Us type place).  I have a small number of 'big' items (jog stroller, the Thule) and lots of little items (glass bottles, burp cloths) on my wish list, and not really any mid size (already have car seat, furniture, etc).  Anyone register with Amazon?  Any other ideas?  Of course I always prefer something from a local store but everyone is already asking and they want an official registry!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 06-29-2011, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have set up a registry with Amazon not only because of the wide selection, but also because the prices are almost always better. 

However, when I told my mom I'd registered on Amazon, she said no one would buy things on line, that people usually wait until the week or weekend of the shower and run out and get something found on a Babie R Us or Target or whatever registry. I'm guilty of that, for sure - but so many of the things I want are not offered at Babies R Us or Target (cloth diapers, glass bottles, organic onsies, etc).

But, like you, I feel uneasy about the whole registry thing in general, so I think what I'm going to do is to just stick with my Amazon registry. If people don't want to order items in advance, then likely they'll give gift cards or things that I'll need plenty of (clothes, for example?).

I hope someone comes along with more ideas for us! flowerkitty.gif

#3 of 21 Old 06-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

You could stick with Amazon and write a message on your site stating that people are welcome to purchase the items from any store that sells them.  You could give your mom (or someone) access to your account and have gift givers contact her if necessary to remove items that were purchased elsewhere.

Alternatively you could use a site like www.myregistry.com.  It allows you to register for gifts from any store- online or local- and gift givers simply need to log in to remove a gift after purchasing.  It's really a great site, check it out!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 21 Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

However, when I told my mom I'd registered on Amazon, she said no one would buy things on line, that people usually wait until the week or weekend of the shower and run out and get something found on a Babie R Us or Target or whatever registry. I'm guilty of that, for sure - but so many of the things I want are not offered at Babies R Us or Target (cloth diapers, glass bottles, organic onsies, etc).

My experience having a shower and going to showers is this. You know, "Oh, baby shower today! Let's run to Target/ Babies R Us."

I would recommend trying to find some things you need/ want/ could stand (ha!) at those places and registering. With my second, I only needed cloth diapers. I registered at a cloth diaper registry and gave the link to my mom. Everyone gave me clothes. 

There's always stuff we can use at the big stores... register for more blankets/ burp cloths. Can't have too many! A wipe warmer (I used cloth wipes in mine). Boppy. They sell decent slings at Target. Waterproof crib pads for you to sleep (and leak) on. 

Good luck!

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#5 of 21 Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post

With my second, I only needed cloth diapers. I registered at a cloth diaper registry and gave the link to my mom. Everyone gave me clothes. 

Yep... so true.  People love to give clothes and nearly useless things like hooded towels  b/c they're just so cute!   But, the people that are close to you (parents, siblings, best friends, etc.) would likely take the time to look over your registry site and pick something that you actually need.  I also found that dropping constant hints to the people closer to me ended up working out pretty well.  My mom purchased us a ton of cloth diapers, my SIL got us a good baby carrier, and my in-laws got us the stroller we wanted.  After that, well, it was a bunch of clothes and blankets.  But at least with those flannel receiving blankets you can cut them up and turn them into cloth wipes!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 21 Old 06-30-2011, 10:13 AM

I have made a registry with Babies R Us and looked for similar things that I have on my Amazon registry on their website - and it seems a lot of the things I want are listed as 'Web Only - Not Sold in Stores' so I feel like I'm still left in the same position.

At any rate, I've still made a Babies R Us registry and I'll add things that can be found in stores just so people have something to get. I'll have my friend who's throwing the shower put a note in the invites that I've got my main registry on Amazon and see how that goes.

On a side note.... WOW is it ever annoying to be registered with Babies R Us... they send an e-mail like every day, not only from Babies R Us, but from Toys R Us, too. And as many times as I've logged back in to change my settings to receive no e-mails, I still get them. ANNOYING!!! irked.gif

#7 of 21 Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The ticket is to go to thethingsiwant.com.

You can build a registry from any website you want.

I have items on there from like 5 different places.  Honestly don't know what I would have done if I had to choose just one!

Katie, married to my beloved Paddy

Catherine Anne "KJ" born November 10th, 2011

#8 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 PM

Oh! Okay, let me ask my question here! :) This is a good forum to ask it on... So, despite the fact that this is my first, I have pretty much EVERYTHING a new mom could want thanks to my sister and all of her friends who have babies. When I say everything - I mean... everything. Clothes, blankets, boppy, pump, glass bottles, cloth diapers in every size... I'm pretty much set. BUT, we are planning to co-sleep and one of the major purchases we need to make is a bigger bed. We're currently in a full size, which is perfect for the two of us (I'm a snuggler blush.gifhug.gif)... But DP is 250 pounds of muscle and we honestly need a king size to ensure no squishing. Is it totally lame to ask for money or a give certificate to a certain mattress store?  I'm just not sure, because some people might see it as a gift to just DP and me... But it would benefit us SO much for as long as DS wants to stay in bed with us.

However... now that I have found thethingiwant.com ... Haha... What a GREAT site!

Morgan. Single mama to DS (10/27/11) fambedsingle1.gif bfinfant.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

www.facebook.com/gnomegrowncreations

#9 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 PM

It's hard because I'm kinda in the same boat as you meb2. Although I don't have every little thing, I have gathered a LOT of stuff and I know exactly what I want for the things I still need. So for me - cash would be best, too. But, like you, I wonder how to present that!?

I SUPPOSE.... one could just return everything they got for cash? But that only works if you have a receipt, huh? And not everyone gives a receipt... and even with a gift receipt often you can only get store credit. 

I'm considering drafting a short note to be included with my baby shower invites to specifically state that the items I want are pretty much only available on Amazon with a suggestion that they make sure to order early... that does sound a bit pretentious, huh? I'm at a loss!

Maybe someone will come along who's asked for just cash or whatnot and give some advice biggrinbounce.gif

#10 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 PM

Registries like www.myregistry.com has a money donation option you can activate so that people can just give money instead of a gift.  Definitely check out some of these alternative registry sites.

#11 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb2 View Post

Oh! Okay, let me ask my question here! :) This is a good forum to ask it on... So, despite the fact that this is my first, I have pretty much EVERYTHING a new mom could want thanks to my sister and all of her friends who have babies. When I say everything - I mean... everything. Clothes, blankets, boppy, pump, glass bottles, cloth diapers in every size... I'm pretty much set. BUT, we are planning to co-sleep and one of the major purchases we need to make is a bigger bed. We're currently in a full size, which is perfect for the two of us (I'm a snuggler blush.gifhug.gif)... But DP is 250 pounds of muscle and we honestly need a king size to ensure no squishing. Is it totally lame to ask for money or a give certificate to a certain mattress store?  I'm just not sure, because some people might see it as a gift to just DP and me... But it would benefit us SO much for as long as DS wants to stay in bed with us.

However... now that I have found thethingiwant.com ... Haha... What a GREAT site!

register at Target, just a bunch of bs that you could need for a baby, then take it all back and buy practical things like groceries and toilet paper, and use the $$ you would have spent on practicalites on a new bed wink1.gif

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

#12 of 21 Old 07-16-2011, 10:36 PM

What about requesting that if they are going to buy clothes to do only sizes above like, 6 months? I don't want to insult anyone, but I seriously don't need anymore newborn, 0-3 or 3-6 month clothes... I simply have all that I could possibly need... I don't want to insult anyone, but I would rather have PRACTICAL things than outfits that I will never even get to dress him in...

Morgan. Single mama to DS (10/27/11) fambedsingle1.gif bfinfant.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

www.facebook.com/gnomegrowncreations

#13 of 21 Old 07-17-2011, 01:44 PM

I agree that it's a good idea to register for larger size clothes, but I would recommend going beyond 6-9 months and requesting seasonally appropriate clothing in even larger sizes, too.  I remember when my first was about a year old and I realized I had zero clothes for her.  I would even go farther and request second hand clothing from anyone you can get it from who has about the right sizes in the right seasons.  Always error on the side of a little too big.

#14 of 21 Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 PM

I have an Amazon.com registry and I tested it out myself by marking something I bought "used" as "bought." You basically "register" to buy the item and Amazon takes your word for it and marks it off as purchased on the registry. So people can buy the stuff wherever they want but mark it off Amazon. I know there are some people for whom this will be complicated/too difficult but I think most should be able to figure it out. :)

I'm going to register for a few thins each at BRU and Target for the people that just are not into online shopping or even going online to look at the registry. I personally chose Amazon to save people money because I feel BRU is expensive and I don't think Target probably has a huge selection.

Me stillheart.gif DH (est. 10/08), DS (11/19/11) blogging.jpg nocirc.gif  reading.gif ribbonteal.gif (PCOS)

#15 of 21 Old 07-17-2011, 10:47 PM

Oh, you are so right! It says "Buying this item elsewhere?" under the add to cart button. Hmmm, that IS handy... I'll keep that in mind.

In the meantime, I have created a myregistry.com registry and included items from amazon.com, BRU, and Target.

#16 of 21 Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 PM

DDCC-- Check out Pinterest!  It's basically an online "pin-board" that you can separate into categories. I have one right now that is specifically nursery ideas, one that is other baby related stuff (cute photo ideas, etc), and one that has been designated a "registry". It wouldn't allow them to mark something off as bought, but you can "pin" pictures of anything you can find on the internet... so it doesn't matter what store it's from (or they buy it from), but it can give them a great idea of the types of things you're looking for too!

Here's ours (still pretty bare): http://pinterest.com/jenineb/monster-s-registry/

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#17 of 21 Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM

Okay, just wanted to add to this thread a piece of info I found out today....

So I went to JoAnn Fabrics today and there is a Babies R Us next to it, so I thought I'd go in and check it out. Lo and behold - they have several of the items I've added to my baby registry online that don't specifically state 'Sold in Stores'. FRUSTRATING!! I found a stroller I like, so I took a picture so I could remember what it was and just now I looked it up on their website - it also does not have the 'Sold in Stores' listed. How annoying is that? So, I figure DH and I will have to plan a trip to BRU and use their 'registry gun' thing and register for items in store because their online inventory really does not match up. Oh, also - they had Evenflo glass bottles in store, those are listed as online only on their website. GAH! irked.gif

#18 of 21 Old 07-21-2011, 09:37 PM

I noticed that really bad both ways. 

Half the things we scanned with the gun are not available online (which is fine for purchasing... but I'd like people to be able to view a photo and description). And I also went online and found a ton of stuff our store didn't carry. Basic things like packs of washcloths... that you would think would be easy to stock... It's so frustrating. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#19 of 21 Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

I noticed that really bad both ways. 

Half the things we scanned with the gun are not available online (which is fine for purchasing... but I'd like people to be able to view a photo and description). And I also went online and found a ton of stuff our store didn't carry. Basic things like packs of washcloths... that you would think would be easy to stock... It's so frustrating. 

Oh, I hadn't thought of that, too - the no pictures and such. What a frustrating company to work with... I guess someone should send them a link to this thread! lol.gif

#20 of 21 Old 07-23-2011, 12:01 AM

How about when you register for something in-store and then nobody can buy it a few weeks down the road b/c it was clearanced out or not available in their local store?  that's annoying.  I remember trying to shop from my sisters wedding registry and not being able to find 1/2 the stuff!  grr...

I'm for sure going to check out the sites you all mentioned...sounds great. 

I feel weird about the whole thing anyways. I mean...I'm technically asking for gifts for the baby, but it feels like I'm asking for me.  And here's a weird observation:  DS got TONS of stuff from TONS of ppl.  He was my first.  The first grandkid on either side.  We knew the gender and all that.  DD was 2nd baby...didn't know gender, didn't get squat.  Literally got 0 gifts.  No flowers, no cards...maybe b/c we were at home?  maybe b/c we didn't announce a gender?  Maybe b/c she was a 2nd baby?!  IDK...but I feel she got ripped off.  We have pics of all of DS's presents and lists of who gave what....nothing for DD. 

a friend and sisters have offered a shower, but I don't need a lot of stuff.  and like you all have mentioned...it's hard to get ppl to buy quality stuff from online.  We're a playing around with the idea of thowing me a 'diaper party', but I truly don't need a ton of cloth diapers....I don't have much newborn though.  IDK... I'm a big fan of the 'crap from target, return and use store credit for toilet paper and stuff' LOL 

It also doesn't help that my extended family is either 5 hrs or 12 hrs away and I'm starting a new job...so not too many close friends. 

#21 of 21 Old 07-23-2011, 12:08 AM

Love your site!  Super cool...do ppl subscribe to it?  I didn't look much into how it works.  Seems pretty cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

DDCC-- Check out Pinterest!  It's basically an online "pin-board" that you can separate into categories. I have one right now that is specifically nursery ideas, one that is other baby related stuff (cute photo ideas, etc), and one that has been designated a "registry". It wouldn't allow them to mark something off as bought, but you can "pin" pictures of anything you can find on the internet... so it doesn't matter what store it's from (or they buy it from), but it can give them a great idea of the types of things you're looking for too!

Here's ours (still pretty bare): http://pinterest.com/jenineb/monster-s-registry/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page