Now that many of us know the gender, it's time to think of NAMES! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 07-02-2011, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ugh, girls names are really tough for us. We keep coming back to Ava, but I'm not sure. Is Ava way overused? I like Ava Rielle together but I don't want her to be one of 100 Ava's kwim?

Me + DH = DS (7) and DD born 10-27-11, an accidental UC!!  novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.gif 
#32 of 50 Old 07-02-2011, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Oooh that looks like its screaming to be combined into one name! Avrielle? Never heard that before, I think its pretty, and could be shortened to Ava. You would forever have people asking if she's named after Avril Lavigne though, lol. Although I only think of Avril when I look at the spelling. Out loud it makes me think of "Gabrielle", not so much Avril.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajbaby View Post

Ugh, girls names are really tough for us. We keep coming back to Ava, but I'm not sure. Is Ava way overused? I like Ava Rielle together but I don't want her to be one of 100 Ava's kwim?

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#33 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 06:22 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:

Ava is the #5 top girl name for 2010.  So yes, used a lot, but still very nice!   Top Baby Names 2010 (Social Security records): http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#34 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yup, Ava is way over-used right now.  I've met SO many little girls named Ava in the past few years. 

As the pp said, if you want to know how popular a name is check out the SSN name records site.  I use it all the time when thinking about names.  My goal is to not pick anything in the top 1000 names, but then I like unusual ones.  :)

Quote:

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#35 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

Yup, Ava is way over-used right now.  I've met SO many little girls named Ava in the past few years. 

As the pp said, if you want to know how popular a name is check out the SSN name records site.  I use it all the time when thinking about names.  My goal is to not pick anything in the top 1000 names, but then I like unusual ones.  :)

Me too! I did it with dd1, but not since. Dd2's name is in the top 400, and now Jasper is in the top 300. So, not super unusual, but still... good enough for me! 

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#36 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 PM

Well find out babe's gender on Tuesday, but it it's a girl, we've decided on Elliott Grace (elli as a nickname). 

We have an Elijah Timothy(male), an India Kai (female) and a Mattea Lily (female) so far in our family. 

Boys names are trickier. Isaac maybe (but don't like Zack as a nickname....)

#37 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 08:26 PM

I love Coralie and Beatrix. I think Everleigh might turn out to be one of those names that is super trendy, I love baby name forums, and it comes up a lot. Tiel and Clementine are the only colour-themed girls name from my current and previous name list. And, I suppose Hazel, Ruby and Lilah too, but they are likely too common (they are family names for us, so that's why they are on the list, they'd likely normally be to "usual" for us too.) I also like Rory, Marin and Maeve (maybe a stretch, but it reminds me of mauve.) And some colour names from other languages: Azuli, Nila, Kala, Melina, Nelia, Leela (too Futurama?)

Your theme is fun. I love colours. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

Awe, that's sweet.  My DH doesn't really seem to care much about the name.  I simply gave him veto power and if he hates it, then I won't pick that name.  I keep bringing things up and he goes, eh, okay, whatever you want.  I can tell he thinks about each name a bit, but isn't really passionate about it like I am.  He did veto Graylynn though, so that one is officially out.  Now we're down to Coralie, Beatrix, and Everleigh.  It'll all depend on what else I can come up with.

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#38 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 10:18 PM

We are having a girl and are having such a hard time finding "the one" that feels just right.

We were hoping to find a C first name and P middle name and most of the C names we like start with Cor, which is interesting because it looks like it is popular many of us. If we can't find a C we were thinking B. - since I am a B and so are my parents and so is our DS.

We aren't totally stuck on a naming theme though.

Some of the girl names on our list:

Corrigan (nn cora or coco)

Coraline (a) (nn cora or coco)

Cordelia (nn cora or coco)

Clementine

Cai(a)

Cailyra

Cascadia

Briah

Bree(na)

Bliss

Brook (my dads suggestion)

Brynn (a)

Bettina

Belita

Beatrix

Anjali

Azure

Arabelle (a)

Ayla

Acacia

Aria (el)

Dahlia

Dita

Eden

Etain

Eva(lina)

Ellette

Emerald

Ginger

Grette

Golda

Gilda

Gretchen

Guinevere

Ila

Isla

Ilsa

Indra

Indira

Kai (a)

Lira

Lyric

Lark

Magdalina (magda)

Nova (born in november - odd?)

Phaedra (fey)

Pearl (a)

Pixie

Peony

Padma

Quinn (a)

Soliel

Solstice

Spring

Star (ra)

Talullah (lulu) - great grandpas name is lu

I also love names like Vivi, Sunday, Blue, Magnolia, Sky but just don't think those kiind of names would really fit - actually none on the list really feel like the right name right now.  When we had our son, our girl name was Briah Arabelle but we just aren't feeling it as much right now and again, I think a C P name would be fun.

radical homemaking/living, homesteading, organic gardening, open minded mama to two amazing little ones 3/2010 and 9/2011 and expecting #3!!!! 5/2013.

#39 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks.  I actually think the Beatrix is slightly more common right now than Everleigh, but yeah, it might be on the rise!  I just checked the ssn site and none of those choices are in the top 1000 names, that's generally good enough for me.  :)   Coraline had a huge spike in 2008 after that movie came out, but now seems to be on the decline again. 

The color names from other languages is a good idea too.  I had looked into that when I was pregnant with #2, but everything seemed too foreign sounding to me.  I'm sure I missed many options though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayPea View Post

I love Coralie and Beatrix. I think Everleigh might turn out to be one of those names that is super trendy, I love baby name forums, and it comes up a lot. Tiel and Clementine are the only colour-themed girls name from my current and previous name list. And, I suppose Hazel, Ruby and Lilah too, but they are likely too common (they are family names for us, so that's why they are on the list, they'd likely normally be to "usual" for us too.) I also like Rory, Marin and Maeve (maybe a stretch, but it reminds me of mauve.) And some colour names from other languages: Azuli, Nila, Kala, Melina, Nelia, Leela (too Futurama?)

Your theme is fun. I love colours. 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#40 of 50 Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaBreadGirl View Post

I like your names! Our first child is Tobias (not in the Bible, but Hebrew-based and means "God is good"). I like Ezra and Asher but my husband doesn't. Joash was on our list the first time around but it ended up just not growing on me so it's not hugely in the running this time around.

For a girl first name, DH and I both really like Ada, Miriam, and Naomi. Not sure which middle names we would pair with which first names. For boys we've discussed Gideon, Caleb, Adrian, and others. Nothing is standing out to me as "the one" (well, we like to pick two options for each gender and then decide at birth, so "one of the two") in the boy names yet!

DDCC - But I have friends who just named their boys Gilead and Boaz. Both biblical, but unusual.  I really like Gilead.  another used Eilam - I really like the meaning of that one...

Eilam \e(i)-lam\ as a boy's name is pronounced EE-lam. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Eilam is "forever, eternal". Biblical: one of the five sons of Noah's son Shem.

#41 of 50 Old 07-14-2011, 06:12 AM

Hello, I am new here. I am Due 11/14 and have a little girl. This will be my fourth child, third pregnancy. My oldest son just turned nine in June and my twins g/b, will be five on Nov. 3. The hubby is naming this baby with my approval because I named the others and he just agreed. Her name is Gem'maica Clarice(Clarice is his grandmother from Scottland that he was very close to).

#42 of 50 Old 07-15-2011, 02:19 PM

--

#43 of 50 Old 07-18-2011, 09:41 AM

We're team green - gender unknown.

For a girl we're pretty set on Savannah but we're not settled on a middle name yet. DH wants my first name as her middle name but it's three syllables and ends with 'a' so I'm afraid it's too many As and too many syllables. We also like Meredith but that will probably reserved for DD#2 (if that ever happens). There are tons more girl names I like that DH wrinkles his nose at: Anneliese, Annika, Madeline, Norah, Lisbeth, etc., etc. I may work on finding a name to replace Meredith because while I love it and DH loves it some people don't mind saying they don't like it. (And generally we keep our names to ourselves.)

For a boy we liked Nicholas and we figured if we had a second boy he'd be Benjamin. Now I am just obsessed wtih Sebastian, and Nicholas no longer sounds good enough! Nicholas was going to have DH's first name as a middle name but DH's first name does not go with Sebastian. So that is really contributing to my not wanting to use my name for Savannah's midle name because then our girl will have my name but if we go with Sebastian he won't have DH's name as his middle since DH's first name is also three syllables starting with S and they just don't flow well together. (We can use DH's middle for Sebastian's middle but it won't be the same. And DH thinks my middle name - Lynn - is too plain and boring for Savannah.)

If our first daughter has my name as a middle name then I want our first son to have DH's first name as a middle name and vice versa. I don't want *that* to be my sole reason for using Nicholas though. I think it's a great name and I don't think I'd regret using it but I think I'd regret if I never got to use Sebastian and if we're only having two kids (DH's desire not mine) chances are I'll never get to use it.

Me stillheart.gif DH (est. 10/08), DS (11/19/11) blogging.jpg nocirc.gif  reading.gif ribbonteal.gif (PCOS)

#44 of 50 Old 07-18-2011, 12:51 PM

We had an ultrasound on Friday and found out that we are having a BOY!!  We are very excited and I'm seriously thrilled.  It just feels meant to be.  Although we are struggling with the circumcision issue - I am just ecstatic!  

The whole "I'm having a baby" deal feels SO MUCH MORE REAL. 

Anyway --- names.  Our first are Ethan & Emma.  We didn't really plan on having an "E" theme but that's what happened. 

We are sticking with an E name... but its hard.  I'm not stuck on having an E name... but I don't know.  I have a close friend with Zoe, Zach and Lucas.  I always thought that was a bit weird. Ugh!  Naming is so hard!

Ethan

Emma

Evan????  (That's DH's first choice)  I like Ezra, Ezekiel, Edwin, Emerson. So far we've just been through the E names, because of the proposed theme, so that's my list so far.

We have another middle name problem.  Ethan's middle name is my FIL's first name.  I have a step dad that raised me, and a biological father that did not.  Although I do have a relationship with him now.  I just don't want to name a baby after either one, to save the others feelings.

DD's middle name is a virtue name and I don't think virtue names really lend themselves to boys, but maybe I can change my perspective there.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#45 of 50 Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post

Oh, forgot my name! This little one was almost as easy to name as dd1. We had her name picked out at 13 weeks. This baby boy will be Jasper Conley. Jasper all of us like and Conley was my grandfather's name. We let the girls have a huge say in the name. 

I don't have a theme for names. I have a few rules... names shouldn't start with the same letter, they need to be simple and short, and the middle and first names need to have the same number of letters and syllables. Also, I want them to flow together nicely, if that makes sense. Oh, an I look older names... names that were popular 100 years ago and are not popular now.

So now we will have:

Isabella Savanah (I didn't name her, but do like it!)

Mabel Lilly

Elsa Jean

Jasper Conley

I am really crushing on Jasper lately. Great name! I mentioned in my post how I'm liking Sebastian and I thought of Jasper for a bit as the middle name but ultimately decided the double 'as' sound didn't flow that well - still like Jasper though. And Savannah (with two Ns) is our number one girl choice.

Me stillheart.gif DH (est. 10/08), DS (11/19/11) blogging.jpg nocirc.gif  reading.gif ribbonteal.gif (PCOS)

#46 of 50 Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 PM

We found out last week that we're having a girl! :)  Short list:

Evelyn (Evie)

Hazel

Charlotte

Marion

Dh and I are both leaning toward Evelyn, but I'm afraid it's too common (ranked 38 on ssa...is that common iyo?)  I like the nickname Evie.

Dh has liked Charlotte for a long time, but I'm afraid everyone will end up calling her "Char" for short, and I hate the way it sounds/feels in my mouth.

#47 of 50 Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I really like Charlotte too! My niece is Charlotte, and they live close by and will be close in age to this baby so I won't be using it. But fwiw, no one ever calls her Char. If anything, they'll call her Lolo but thats her family, not like outsider-imposed nickname! Most of the time, she's just Charlotte.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#48 of 50 Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 PM

I like Charlotte a lot too and always loved the nickname Lottie for it. It's not really on the list for this baby, but is a name I've always been fond of.

I'm really stumped with names. We're having another girl and I just can't seem to fall in love with anything. Not even names I've loved for a long time. I want it to go nicely with her sister's name, Owyn. Not really matchy, but a similar style if that makes sense. So it at least seems like they were named by the same people. My top-runners right now are Piper and Veda, but I can't seem to commit to either one. I think they both go pretty well with Owyn, but I'm struggling with middle names when it comes to both names. Although, come to think of it, Charlotte goes nicely with both of those names.

But I kind of wanted a family name or a name of significance like we had with Owyn for the middle name. Her middle name is Samantha for my grandpa. He sort of chose it. He didn't like the name Owyn and kept saying "Why not a nice, simple name like Sam?" So, we chose Samantha for him. I liked the idea of using Cecelia as a middle name for this baby, it's my confirmation name for St. Cecelia the Patron Saint of music. I just don't think it goes very well with Piper or Veda. I also considered Josephine since my husband's name is Joseph, but he isn't crazy about it. 

Anyway... that's about as far as I've gotten with names. Stumped. And DH isn't being helpful at all, he just says no to everything. So, I made the executive decision that I'm choosing the name and he'll just have to live with whatever I come up with unless he can come up with something better. Plus, he chose Owyn's name so it's only fair. 

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#49 of 50 Old 07-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post

And DH isn't being helpful at all, he just says no to everything. 

Tell me about it!  DH has nixed Elliot, Beatrice, Grace, Glenna (I like this one a lot!), Hattie, Henrietta, and Enid (my favorite, it's Welsh for "soul").  Such a great bunch of names!  What's the matter with him?!? 

#50 of 50 Old 07-18-2011, 07:51 PM

If this babe was a girl, her name was to be Evelyn and we were going to call her Evie.  So, that would be my vote.  lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas View Post

We found out last week that we're having a girl! :)  Short list:

Evelyn (Evie)

Hazel

Charlotte

Marion

Dh and I are both leaning toward Evelyn, but I'm afraid it's too common (ranked 38 on ssa...is that common iyo?)  I like the nickname Evie.

Dh has liked Charlotte for a long time, but I'm afraid everyone will end up calling her "Char" for short, and I hate the way it sounds/feels in my mouth.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page