Now that many of us know the gender, it's time to think of NAMES! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 06-30-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This is always been a daunting task to me!  My first 2 children are named after colors, which we could do again, but I'm afraid that if we had 1-2 more kids that I'll run out of options with that theme!  We've played around with using a different theme, like each name plays off of the last.  #1 + #2 are colors, then #2 + #3 both start with O (if that makes sense). 

The name we choose must be decently unique, so I feel like I can't use Scarlett or Violet as color name choices..

O names

Oribel (this was generally nixed because it sounds like Oragel)

Color names (this one sticks with our original theme, sort of)

Graylynn (my dh doesn't like that this starts with gray, he thinks it's depressing)

7 Letter names

Beatrix

Coralie

Everlea

Leilani

What is everyone else thinking about?  Let's help each other out and throw out some suggestions!

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 50 Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have no theme.  Although, my husband does like old fashioned names- so while my sons name is Phoenix, our two daughters will have older names.

We had picked Max and Betty as names for this baby.  So now that we know its a girl, she is Betty Grey. 

I liked a lot of "H" names- Hadley, Hayden, etc- but they seem very overused at the moment. 

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#3 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Sigh. No idea. We're torturing ourselves by not finding out so we get to think about two names! We had an unintentional "theme" for the first two.. both are places. I didn't even catch it until the last couple months when my SIL pointed it out! I think it'd be fun to stick to it, but it would have to NOT be obvious. I don't want blatantly "matchy" names where the instant I'd introduce my kids anyone would be like, "haha, cute, they have a theme" And its hard to sit around thinking of non proper noun place names! (so cities, etc are out) And already having one blatantly nature name, I wouldn't want to use something like Meadow, or Forrest. I really like Skyler, for either boy or girl, and if it was never shortened to Sky it wouldn't sound *too* matchy with River. But who am I kidding, they kid'd be called Sky all the time! So.. not too sure about that. There's names Like Savannah, which is a location, but doesn't jump out at you as "your kids have place names!" But I don't like that name well enough to use anyway, so its out. I'm not set on sticking to a theme, but since it was accidental with the first two it'd be fun to continue it. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#4 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 06:02 AM

This poor girl will likely go nameless at the rate we're going. We just can't agree on anything. DH and I have totally different styles when it comes to names. 

This is My list so far:

Piper

Willa

Veda

Isla

Thea

Gemma

Ida

(I seem to have a theme going with the name ending in -a)

DH says Gemma is okay and would like to just settle on that, but I'm not in love with it. I'm really liking Veda right now. 

Middle names.... no freaking clue.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#5 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 07:08 AM

We don't have a theme, except that we incorporate a family name in our boys. And we like traditional biblical names.

DS1 is Jeremy Wade (Jeremy, version of Jeremiah, also named after his Uncle and Wade is my maiden name)

Just found out #2 is a boy so it is Benjamin Carl (Carl is my Dad and Grandfather's name, and my husbands Dad's middle name).

My husband is 1 of 7 boys, and we have 3 nephews, all of whom used biblical names...so, short of using Nimrod or Joash, we are running slim on choices:) But, we love our choices.

#6 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

It must be nice to have something picked out already!  I like Betty, I think it's a good choice.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

We have no theme.  Although, my husband does like old fashioned names- so while my sons name is Phoenix, our two daughters will have older names.

We had picked Max and Betty as names for this baby.  So now that we know its a girl, she is Betty Grey. 

I liked a lot of "H" names- Hadley, Hayden, etc- but they seem very overused at the moment. 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#7 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

My issue with continuing a specific theme is, what if we end up with 5 or 6 kids?  The choices start to get pretty strange and limited in the end.  I feel like we've nearly run out of unusual colors at this point as it is!  Weren't you thinking or having a lot of kids Rachel?  This is one reason why I was thinking of choosing a more open-ended theme, that or just dropping it all together to avoid the matchy-matchy thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

Sigh. No idea. We're torturing ourselves by not finding out so we get to think about two names! We had an unintentional "theme" for the first two.. both are places. I didn't even catch it until the last couple months when my SIL pointed it out! I think it'd be fun to stick to it, but it would have to NOT be obvious. I don't want blatantly "matchy" names where the instant I'd introduce my kids anyone would be like, "haha, cute, they have a theme" And its hard to sit around thinking of non proper noun place names! (so cities, etc are out) And already having one blatantly nature name, I wouldn't want to use something like Meadow, or Forrest. I really like Skyler, for either boy or girl, and if it was never shortened to Sky it wouldn't sound *too* matchy with River. But who am I kidding, they kid'd be called Sky all the time! So.. not too sure about that. There's names Like Savannah, which is a location, but doesn't jump out at you as "your kids have place names!" But I don't like that name well enough to use anyway, so its out. I'm not set on sticking to a theme, but since it was accidental with the first two it'd be fun to continue it. 

#8 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

It must be nice to have something picked out already!  I like Betty, I think it's a good choice.  :)

Thanks:) Honestly, we had names picked out before I was even pregnant...we spent a lot of time daydreaming about the day I could finally have another kid!

#9 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ha ha, sometimes it's nice to have limited choices.  Naming is so open-ended that it can be daunting!  If my DH and I ever have a boy, his name will be John Edmund V, so we won't have to think about boy names for a while!  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsShow View Post

We don't have a theme, except that we incorporate a family name in our boys. And we like traditional biblical names.

DS1 is Jeremy Wade (Jeremy, version of Jeremiah, also named after his Uncle and Wade is my maiden name)

Just found out #2 is a boy so it is Benjamin Carl (Carl is my Dad and Grandfather's name, and my husbands Dad's middle name).

My husband is 1 of 7 boys, and we have 3 nephews, all of whom used biblical names...so, short of using Nimrod or Joash, we are running slim on choices:) But, we love our choices.

#10 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Awe, that's sweet.  My DH doesn't really seem to care much about the name.  I simply gave him veto power and if he hates it, then I won't pick that name.  I keep bringing things up and he goes, eh, okay, whatever you want.  I can tell he thinks about each name a bit, but isn't really passionate about it like I am.  He did veto Graylynn though, so that one is officially out.  Now we're down to Coralie, Beatrix, and Everleigh.  It'll all depend on what else I can come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

Thanks:) Honestly, we had names picked out before I was even pregnant...we spent a lot of time daydreaming about the day I could finally have another kid!

#11 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 AM

I feel frustrated on this one. My other two babies were names before they were conceived (first names, then their second names came easily), but this baby is stumping us!

I need suggestions! It's a by. I like naturely kinda names or virtue names or names that really mean something. We are throwing around Noble, Enoch, Veritas... Middle name is Grandison.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#12 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Abra, I love the color theme!  There are so many neat colors you could choose from.  Sienna, Coral, Cyan, Gray, Ivory, Violet, Scarlett, Rose, Orchid, Olive, Lavender, Wysteria... I know some of those are bit out there and some you said you didn't really like, but I do think the theme is fun.

Rachel, I love Sky!  I think it would fit in nicely with River.  I love it.  And Savannah.   Beautiful.  But I love those kinds of names... Sage, Willow, etc.  How is Allie a place?  You mean like an alley between buildings?  If so I hardly think anyone would come up with that theme!  If anything Allie will be the odd name out and River and Sky will seem related b/c of the nature theme.  I love it, but if you don't want to be themed then I think you'll have to steer clear of all those names.

I think I mentioned in a previous thread that we are in a real pickle name wise.  We started a theme we never intended and now I feel badly for #3 if we don't continue it.  Like, hey, why is my name totally different?    So my dd's name is Avalon and my ds' name is Austin.  Both A's.  Both end in "n" and both have 6 letters.  Yikes.  Certainly we do not have to continue the exact pattern.  We could choose an A name and not worry about the rest.  Or an A and N name and change the letter count.  Or keep the letter count and drop the N.  But any way we slice it we have to have a name that means something to us, which is how we ended up with these names to begin with.

If it's a girl, we're pretty set on Autumn.  But a boy?  None of the suggestions we've been given mean anything to us and frankly none of them even sound good to us.  What to do?  We aren't finding out the gender either so we're really screwed.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#13 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post

This poor girl will likely go nameless at the rate we're going. We just can't agree on anything. DH and I have totally different styles when it comes to names. 

This is My list so far:

Piper

Willa

Veda

Isla

Thea

Gemma

Ida

(I seem to have a theme going with the name ending in -a)

DH says Gemma is okay and would like to just settle on that, but I'm not in love with it. I'm really liking Veda right now. 

Middle names.... no freaking clue.

I really like Isla and Piper. I had suggested those as names for our baby but we found out we're having a boy! His name was going to be Maksim, but we decided on Hunter James instead. I just like Hunter and James is a family name on my side. Our other two boys have my husband's name for their middle names so it was my turn :)

#14 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Oh, and I loved Rosa or Mira for a girl, but again, having a boy :)

#15 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

We already have a boy named Cyan and a girl named Olivine.  We like the more unusual names, so we've already decided against Violet and Scarlett.  My DH hates Gray (even though I like it), he thinks it sounds gloomy.  Our last thought that we both agree on is Coralie (for the Coral part).  I think we could do a good color this time, but what if we have 2 more girls!  :)

I totally know how you feel about deciding on a name.  It's tough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Abra, I love the color theme!  There are so many neat colors you could choose from.  Sienna, Coral, Cyan, Gray, Ivory, Violet, Scarlett, Rose, Orchid, Olive, Lavender, Wysteria... I know some of those are bit out there and some you said you didn't really like, but I do think the theme is fun.

#16 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Jaimee - What about Anderson for a boy?

Rebecca, mother of one beautiful girl born May 9, 2008, wife to Ben since June 30, 2007, and angel1.gif July 9, 2011.

#17 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 01:32 PM

I like your names! Our first child is Tobias (not in the Bible, but Hebrew-based and means "God is good"). I like Ezra and Asher but my husband doesn't. Joash was on our list the first time around but it ended up just not growing on me so it's not hugely in the running this time around.

For a girl first name, DH and I both really like Ada, Miriam, and Naomi. Not sure which middle names we would pair with which first names. For boys we've discussed Gideon, Caleb, Adrian, and others. Nothing is standing out to me as "the one" (well, we like to pick two options for each gender and then decide at birth, so "one of the two") in the boy names yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsShow View Post

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#18 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 04:20 PM

We have been decided on Searcy Beatrix for a girl for a month or so now.  DH hasn't been thrilled with any of the boy names I've thrown out- he'll either say NO immediately, or if he doesn't hate it he'll say "Put it on the list."  But he doesn't really love any of them. 

There is one name I've always wanted to use for one of our boys: Leonidas.  It was his great-grandfather's name, and DH & his dad were both named a shortened version of it. The other night, DH said that it was growing on him, with the nickname Leo for short.  So I think that will end up being our boy name. smile.gif

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#19 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

Sky is a great name, but it would totally be matchy with River. I can see this... "Here are my kids, River, Sky, and..." <interruption> "Where's Tree!?"  lol.gif

I love Jaime's suggestion of Sage, though. :)

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#20 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

We already have a boy named Cyan and a girl named Olivine.  We like the more unusual names, so we've already decided against Violet and Scarlett.  My DH hates Gray (even though I like it), he thinks it sounds gloomy.  Our last thought that we both agree on is Coralie (for the Coral part).  I think we could do a good color this time, but what if we have 2 more girls!  :)

I totally know how you feel about deciding on a name.  It's tough!

I love, love, love Coralie! And I think that it is not an obvious color name. I would have never noticed that if you didn't mention it. If you used it, I don't think it would tie you to the color theme. 

#21 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Oh, forgot my name! This little one was almost as easy to name as dd1. We had her name picked out at 13 weeks. This baby boy will be Jasper Conley. Jasper all of us like and Conley was my grandfather's name. We let the girls have a huge say in the name. 

I don't have a theme for names. I have a few rules... names shouldn't start with the same letter, they need to be simple and short, and the middle and first names need to have the same number of letters and syllables. Also, I want them to flow together nicely, if that makes sense. Oh, an I look older names... names that were popular 100 years ago and are not popular now.

So now we will have:

Isabella Savanah (I didn't name her, but do like it!)

Mabel Lilly

Elsa Jean

Jasper Conley

#22 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  So far it's a top contender.  I didn't actually pick it for the color, I picked it because it has 7 letters.. Then my DH pointed out that it still started with a color.  I must be drawn to the theme!  ;)  I do think that it helps to make some rules or a theme, it narrows down the choices some gives you a place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post

I love, love, love Coralie! And I think that it is not an obvious color name. I would have never noticed that if you didn't mention it. If you used it, I don't think it would tie you to the color theme. 

#23 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 07:15 PM

--

#24 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

I like Coraline, but then Coralie is one of my top picks for myself right now.  ;)

I would love to get other's opinions on Coraline Magnolia... I think it's pretty, just not dead-set confident about it.  I haven't gotten very positive reactions from friends/family on it, so that has probably had something to do with it.

#25 of 50 Old 07-02-2011, 05:49 AM

--

#26 of 50 Old 07-02-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryMac View Post

Jaimee - What about Anderson for a boy?

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's just so hard for us b/c none of the boy names mean anything to us.  Avalon was from my favorite book and the whole Arthurian legend of the isle of Avalon with its strong women really spoke to me when I read it in high school.  Avalon just followed me throughout my life from then on and it was so fitting for my little girl to have that name.  Austin is from Austin, TX where we lived for two years and where we really become parents.  That's where I met so many amazing AP moms that taught me so much about being a parent, really forming my parenting philosophy and inspiring me in so many ways.  Again a very fitting name for our son who was conceived there.  Now this one...  Autumn works for us b/c we've both always liked the name and the baby will be born in the season of Autumn so there is meaning there.   Not as personal meaning as the other two, but at least something.  For boys, we've got nuthin!  Here's our list of anything that remotely fits our theme, but I mostly dislike them all and would never consider them.  I just wrote down all the A and N names I could find.  Next I'll compile a list of just  A names that are okay.   But really I'm waiting for inspiration to strike.  It would be a lot easier if we knew we were having a boy and I knew I HAD to come up with a name.  But my desire to be surprised with this last baby is too strong.

Adrian
Ashton
Anikan
Aidan, Aidann, Aiden
Aaron
Adwin, Adwyn
Alden, Aldon, Aldin, Aldan
Alton, Altan
Andren, Andrin
Aragorn
Antwan
Arawn
Arden, Ardon, Ardin
Aran, Aron
Arien, Arian, Arrian, Arion
Aricin
Arnon
Arlen, Arlan
Armon
Arten, Artan
Arvin
Aryan
Arwan
Ashwin
Astin
Aslan, Aslen
Auden
Auburn
Auren
Aviden, Avidan
Axton

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#27 of 50 Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick061106 View Post
I think it's pretty, just not dead-set confident about it.  I haven't gotten very positive reactions from friends/family on it, so that has probably had something to do with it.

This is the problem with sharing names with your friends and family.  Hardly anyone can keep their mouth shut when it comes to names so if they don't like it you'll know.  And then the name feels tainted and that sucks.  We choose not to share our names for a long time- even up to the birth- so that it's done. Once you've actually named your baby less people will react poorly. In fact most will have a positive reaction b/c they're looking at a super cute newborn and pretty much any name seems cute then!

My advice is to let it sit and see if it grows on you.  We've all got a ton of time still and you are finding out the gender soon anyway and may not even have to worry about a girl's name!  The funny thing about names, too, is that we never actually used their names until they were older.  Both my kids went by terms of endearment for really the first year of their lives.  Seriously could not get myself to call a tiny baby Avalon or Austin.  They were all sweet pea, peanut, sweetie, snuggle bunny, numerous variations of these, etc... Avalon nicknamed her brother "Brudder" which morphed into Dudder, Dudley, Duds, Duddy Didikins...  Now that they are older, more independent, and know their names they obviously get used more often.  No use calling "Peanut!" from across the park.  lol.gif 

#28 of 50 Old 07-02-2011, 09:30 AM

Jaimee your so right!  My mother hates the name we chose- and she expresses it constantly.  Finally I snapped and went off on her in front of our whole family (it was my grandmothers name).  Nobody has said a thing since then. 

#29 of 50 Old 07-02-2011, 03:16 PM

i like the names Keyonna, Peyton, Brooke or Arianna for girls. i like Leland Michael for a boy, or my sons name Hayden James.

#30 of 50 Old 07-02-2011, 06:20 PM

With DD1, her name just had to be something that I liked and could imagine a professional woman using without embarrassment, and I wanted Christine for the middle name. DD2's middle name had been Elizabeth, then we changed it to Josephine before we mailed the birth certificate forms in. So when DD3 came along, her middle name had to end in the '-ine' sound as well. We picked Navene, as it means worshipper of saints (and as I recently discovered in another book, hard headed and beautiful...those fit too!).

We suck at picking girls names though, so we never even start looking until 3rd trimester because we get so flustered.

A boy's name we've had picked out for years. :)

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page