Spotlight Thread on KeanusMomma (Rachel) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is the Spotlight Thread for KeanusMomma (Rachel)

Rachel, please copy the questions below into a new post and bold them.  Answer them as you feel comfortable, adding any extra information you'd like to share.

DDC members, please feel free to comment and add your own questions to keep the conversation going!

1.  What is your favorite season and why?

2.  Describe your dream vacation:

3.  Where do you live?  Where were you born?

4.  What is one of your favorite books?

5.  What are your plans for the birth?

6.  Do you have any pets?

7.  Do/did you play any sports?

8.  What is your current job?  What did you do pre-motherhood?

9.  What are a few things you like to do in your free time?

10. What's one thing you're looking forward to doing differently with this baby?  What do you plan to do the same?

We look forward to getting to know you better!  smile.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 PM

My favorite season is summer. I love swimming, watermelon, and late sunsets.

I have ventured outside the US only to Canada, so i'd love to travel to more exotic places. There are also many places in the US i'd love to see or return to. I have family in the bay area of CA and WV is super beautiful. Really a vacation would be a dream if I could afford to miss a few days of work and pay for travel expenses plus fun!

I live in Oak Grove, MO (outside of Kansas City) and was born in California. Some childhood was spent outside of Dallas but the last half my life or so has been in this area.

I love to read, but I don't think I have a favorite book. I used to be very into Francesca Lia Block, especially Violet & Claire.

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

Old 07-04-2011, 07:01 PM

As for the birth, I am seeing a midwife and practicing Hypnobirthing. I broke up with the father in April (we only went out a few months) so I'm not sure who my birthing partner will be. I def want to avoid all the monitoring and interventions that I encountered last time, so I'm glad to have found a midwife and birth center. Unfortunately, I have Medicaid, who does not like to pay for birth centers here in MO. So I am pretty worried about how i'm going to pay.

No pets right now. I like dogs, but someday when I live in a house rather than apartment will be a better time for one.

I was on the swim team in high school, and have not been involved in any sports since then.

Right now I make a living delivering pizzas. I just got finished with massage school in April, and am just paperwork away from having my license. I am trying to work for myself doing in home and on site table and chair massage, which is the only thing I want to do once the baby's born. When I got pregnant with my older son, I was a carhop at Sonic and continued to do so for awhile after he was born.

In my free time I like to sing karaoke, watch movies, and do anything crafty. I knit, sew, etc. and recently made my bridesmaid's dress and shoes for my brother's wedding.

With my son, I knew there was no way I could pump at Sonic but we were too poor for me not to work so Keanu got formula and breastmilk. I ended up breastfeeding til his 5th bday, but with this one I know I can make sure to breastfeed better.

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

Old 07-05-2011, 01:08 PM

What do you like/dislike about where you live? 

Do you have any tattoos or piercings?

What made you decide on your sons name?  Do you have a name picked out for this new lo (you don't have to share if you don't want to)?

Have you made anything for the baby yet?

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

Old 07-05-2011, 03:42 PM

I like that there are lots of trees where I live. I don't like the humidity, the cold weather, the snow, the horrible road conditions, or the typical lack of open mindedness. Honestly I probably would have moved by now if it weren't for Keanu (whose dad lives around here).

I have 2 piercings in each earlobe. I also have my belly button pierced. I recently had to purchase a flexible silicone "ring" for it and it's no longer causing discomfort. I have 2 tatoos, each on the back of my legs. One is a peace sign with purple flower petals. The other is a skull and crossbones with faerie wings, to go along with my brothers' similar tatoos.

My ex and I always liked unusual names and disliked that our names were common. Once, before I was pregnant, I asked him what name he'd choose for himself if he were to change it, and he picked Keanu. So when it came time to choose a name, we easily came to that.

I tried knitting a baby hat, but I ran out of yarn, so it's a headband. I plan to make plenty more, but i'm not sure I want to make much before the birth, while I don't know the sex. I did find some fleece in the clearance been several weeks back that I will use to make hats for all three of us. It's leopard print smile.gif

Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 PM

I forgot one of those questions. I like Juniper Willow if it's a girl. After I decided this, I learned from the baby's gma (the dad's mom) that Willow is an old family name. The baby's father and I will probably discuss it soon, but he told me he really likes Patience. I think it sounds too religious, like Patience would be the sibling of Hope, Faith, and Charity. No offense to anyone who used those names, or anybody that is religious, it's just not me.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 PM

What is your favorite massage style? Any other modalities you're interested in persuing (cupping, Reiki, reflexology, etc)?

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:21 PM

I am interested in getting some CEUs in aromatherapy. I did a project in school about Esalen massage, but I think that's a little too out there for most of the locals, plus to be certified I have to pay a lot of money and spend a week or so in CA. Which would be awesome, but impractical for me right now. I would also like to learn more about Thai yoga massage, because I think that at least all the passive stretches would be popular.

Right now I can do deep tissue or Swedish, but I think I like Swedish more because it's easier on my body. I try to incorporate reflexology into massages when i'm on the feet, but I haven't had much training in it yet.

User Tag List