Projects before baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-09-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another DDC of mine had a thread like this and it was GREAT to keep track of everything, get ideas, motivation from other's progress, etc. A list of things to do, to buy, and to make before baby gets here. :D

Here's mine:

To-Do:

-Prewash and organize diapers/covers (using the same flats/OS snappiable fitteds we have for dd3, and a friend is giving me 12 nb gdiaper covers, so we're set!)

-Figure out carseat configuration and install seats where they need to go

-Organize birth kit into one easy to find place

-Read through UC resources with DH

-Pack emergency birth kit in the car by week 36 just in case

-Take maternity pictures (my old boss is going to take them for me!)

-Get puppy potty trained 

-Work towards potty training with dd3

-Purge and organize kitchen, living room, and toys

-Start Hypnobirthing program

-Work on toning legs and arms (last birth I wasn't toned enough and was sore for days after just two hours of labor...I think this labor will be longer so I want to prepare!)

To Make:

-Box style platform frame for a crib mattress for dd3

-Curtains and maybe seat cushions for the camper

-4-6 wool covers; 3 or 4 longies and 2-3 wraps.

-Freezer meals. I'd like at least 2 weeks worth of meals in there. (Waiting for the heat to break so I can work on this...lots of soups!)

-Between 5 and 10 baby hats. Because they're easy to crochet and I love hats!

-Belly cast...better quality than the last one, and closer to my due date. I am going to save this one, and decorate with U/S pics from each kiddo & their name/birthday

-Baby socks (I think 10 socks should be enough?)

-Nursing pads (6 pairs)

To Buy:

-Carseat for newbie (if needed) ((Got a Graco MyRide on sale for $65 at Target!))

-Prefolds (20 preemie if I don't get my NB stash back from the last person that borrowed it, and 6-12 infant) ((May still pick up a few, but planning to just stick with the flats, didn't realize how much we'd love them!)

-Flour sack towels/flat diapers (No clue how many as we're being given some, so I'll have to see how many total we have before buying) 

-Tie Dye kit for flats and prefolds

-Wool yarn

-Birth kit supplies

-Any photo props I want for NB photos (which I'll likely take myself ASAP)

-Supplies for placenta print/encapsulation

-Peekaru babywearing vest for winter

-Wool/flannel for nursing pads

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#2 of 25 Old 07-10-2011, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

To do:

Transition ds into sleeping in his bed the whole night! Even better if he can be moved into dd's room.

Get more driving practice in and get my license (actually has to be done by Sept to drive dd to preschool)

Hire doula, hoping to find a student doula I click with

Convince ds that the world won't end if he is in the care of someone besides dh or I for a couple hours

Fully potty train ds? eh, wishful thinking!

To make:

As much baby clothes as I can! I love making baby clothes. 

Fleece pouch sling (oh crap, I just realize I need non-pregnant measurements for sizing! lol)

I'd put blanket here, but I'm going to wait until after the birth to make that. I'm making boy and girl baby clothes (will trade the "wrong" gender on diaperswappers) but I don't want to do that with the blanket because I use expensive fabric for that, and I'm not buying double.

To buy:

carseat?! or find. Ugh. We've moved twice since ds used his infant seat and it has vanished. I'm sick over that because..gah! that was an expensive seat. (chicco keyfit 30) and its probably buried somewhere in the garage of the last place we rented. Have a marathon neither kid is using but that won't fit for a couple months at least :( It could even potentially be in the garage of the place we lived in in OR! Anyone around PDX wanna go check?! HAHA. Its vacant. We have the keys, if the bank hasn't sent someone to change the locks yet.

birth kit

birth pool 

newborn dipes/prefolds/covers.. might make a few.

Baby socks. not a knitter, so this doesn't go under to make :P

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#3 of 25 Old 07-10-2011, 09:55 AM

For those of you who make your own baby clothes, did you just teach yourself or did you already know quite a bit about sewing/crocheting beforehand or take classes? I'm really interested in making some but don't quite know where to start! smile.gif I am pretty crafty and have an old sewing machine I haven't used in years, but I don't remember much about using it besides very basic stitches. As for crocheting, I tried learning from a book several years ago and have the supplies to do it, but I couldn't figure out one of the steps from the photos no matter how hard I tried, so gave up. lol. Maybe I should find a friend who knows how to do some of these things.....

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#4 of 25 Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

To learn crochet (knitting confounds me still, I need to work on it): YOUTUBE. Seriously. I knew nothing about it before YouTube, and now I'm not an expert, but I make our hats each winter. This past winter I even make an owl hat with eyes and a beak for dd3, and a vampire hat (with lips that had fangs in them) for dd1. I've made two pairs of longies, one soaker, a diaper wrap, and plenty of nb hats for friends. And scarves- that was my first project!

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#5 of 25 Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

TO DO

Get all of my newborn baby clothes out of storage and organize them somehow.  I'm thinking that I'll have to get a new dresser for the new baby.

Nightwean my 23mo DD and get her used to Daddy at bedtime.

Do my Hypnobirthing practice.  I did it with #2, but I've already started doing the meditations again.

I'm going to try to potty train my DD, but I won't be crushed if it doesn't work out.

Go through my birth-kit left-overs and see what I need to purchase this time around.

I also need to deal with the carseat situation.  We'll have 3 carseats in the back of our suv and it's TIGHT.  I think I'm going to have my buy new slim seats.  We were going to get a new van this year, but it didn't work out.

TO BUY

New carseat for my toddler

New vibrating bouncy seat.  I have one, but it's old and funky.

The double attachment for my Phil and Ted's stroller.  I doubt that I'll put the baby in the stroller, but who knows.

A nice structured wrap carrier.  I have a Moby, but I want to try a non-stretchy one this time too.  I might also get a second Ergo.

TO MAKE

I might try to make some up-cycled t-shirt gowns.

I'm probably going to learn how to crotchet as well.  I have a feeling that I'll need a few stationary hobbies toward the end of the pregnancy.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#6 of 25 Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I got a sewing machine for my bday about 3.5 years ago. Before I think I'd only ever touched a machine twice, both with someone practically over my shoulder helping me! So first up was figuring out how to work it :) Used the manual and got it threaded and set up. Then I made dd a blanket. Cotton on one side, fleece on the other, a pretty basic blanket. From there.. I bought some patterns. I got the machine around Thanksgiving and I know I made her some fleece jammies for christmas that year! So moving on to baby clothes wasn't really a huge stretch. I know my earlier stuff I made is pretty rough and didn't hold together as well. After a while I realized, hey! this stuff is actually decent quality now! lol. I gradually picked up new techniques. Like for stretchy fabrics, I always use my triple stitch setting. It makes the seams so much stronger! Never took a class, just fumbled through on my own, but I have used lots of online tutorials and those help a LOT! Here's a massive collection: http://everythingyourmamamade.com/its-all-about-the-free-tutorials/ if you've never made clothes before, start with baby pants! Super easy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

For those of you who make your own baby clothes, did you just teach yourself or did you already know quite a bit about sewing/crocheting beforehand or take classes? I'm really interested in making some but don't quite know where to start! smile.gif I am pretty crafty and have an old sewing machine I haven't used in years, but I don't remember much about using it besides very basic stitches. As for crocheting, I tried learning from a book several years ago and have the supplies to do it, but I couldn't figure out one of the steps from the photos no matter how hard I tried, so gave up. lol. Maybe I should find a friend who knows how to do some of these things.....

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#7 of 25 Old 07-10-2011, 03:43 PM

You ladies are way ahead of me. I haven't even started to think about my to-do list. Ugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

I also need to deal with the carseat situation.  We'll have 3 carseats in the back of our suv and it's TIGHT.  I think I'm going to have my buy new slim seats.  We were going to get a new van this year, but it didn't work out.

What kind of SUV do you drive? I have a Chevy Trailblazer, and a van was out of the question right now. We just bought three Radians. I can fit all three across easily, or even two Radians and one of my old Evenflo convertibles (if I decide I don't like the Radian for a newborn, but I think it will work). I had a really hard time fitting 3 seats across in my car, but the Radians work really, really well.

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#8 of 25 Old 07-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the DIY craft suggestions! I can't wait to start a project. I found a bedding set that I love but could likely make myself and save over $100, so I think I'm going to start there, especially since some parts of the set have been out of stock for a while and I have no idea if they'll ever come back. I just got off the phone with a friend who has a degree in apparel product development, and she said she'd show me how to use my machine again and help me pick out fabric and do some of the harder parts of the project (like the gathering part of the bed skirt). I think I recall another friend of mine saying she used to crochet years ago... maybe I'll hit her up for a fun crocheting session! YouTube and "Everything Your Mama Made" look perfect for helping me get started. biggrinbounce.gif I do accounting by day, so I'm thrilled to start up my creative mind again by night.... it's been a year and a half since my wedding --- the last time I did a craft project. LOL. Oh my!

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#9 of 25 Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 PM

That's a good way to break down the lists. I haven't really started to think about the "To Do" portion, so this will be a good start for me. 

To-Do:

- work on having DD comfortable with DH putting her to sleep

- purge more stuff as we may possibly move in the fall

- look into options for birthing tubs

- look into placenta incapsulation

- assess homebirth supplies, gather what's missing

- try and find a money-making project to pay for doula

- don't be tardy about deciding on child-care options for DD during birth (including middle-of-the-night labour etc)

- if we don't move, finish unpacking and decorating current place

- if we do move, be super-extra organized to make sure everything is unpacked and homey by mid-late Oct.

- research and assemble big-sister activity kits (will overlap with To Make)

- make as much food in advance as I can fit in our little freezer. If we get a deep freeze, this task will be significantly larger. 

- research the issues of expired carseats, as our bucket seat expires in 2012, but likely this next one will only be in it until mid 2012 at the most

- consider using a convertible carseat right from the start (though I don't really see loving the Radian for small babies, though I love it for older babies/toddlers)

- get massages and acupuncture for developing pelvic problems and existing migraine issues

- take a prenatal yoga class

- remember to take photos of the belly

- work on some personal projects, take some me-time

To Make:

OK, this list is ambitious, and I will absolutely not get all of this done. But this is my ideal list. 

- 2 or 3 knitted hats in newborn - 6 mo sizes

- 1 or 2 knitted sweaters in newborn - 6 mo sizes (one on the needles at the moment)
- 1 or 2 pairs knitted booties (one pair on the go)
- 1 or 2 pairs knitted socks
- 2 pairs knitted longies
- 1 pair knitted footed longies

- stash-buster blanket (this one is 33% done)
- 3 sewn drool bibs
- more flannel wipes
- sewn ribbon blanket
- extra cover for the nursing pillow
- sewn/knitted balls with bells inside

- mobile with interchangable objects - one high-contrast set for newborns, then bright and fun set for older babies)

- cute maternity clothes for me (a couple of summer skirts, alter some shorts)

- big-sister activities for post-baby (a felt board and its occupants, some felt animals, sewn playmat, woolen play food, craft activities, sensorial play etc)

- halloween costume for DD (to make well in advance since I might be in labour, have a baby by Halloween)

- wedding present for wedding attended this weekend. (Eep, I have a year, right?)

To Buy:

We're hoping to get some of these things as gifts, though of course with a second baby, we aren't counting on it. 

- Adiri bottles

- bassinette or pack 'n' play that will be stable and out of reach of DD

- something warm for stroller or car rides, like a bunting bag (what do you call those things anyway?)

- Joovy Caboose Ultralight (maybe)

- bath sling

- new version of the Ergo infant insert (maybe)

- Ergo "raincoat" 

- medela swing breast pump

- better wet bags (big one for dipes, small ones for wipes)

- more diaper covers (try out the new Bummis Ultralight with snaps)

- a new Sophie

- non-vinyl waterproof mattress covers for DD's and our beds, as we are planning to get her out of diapers even at night by November.

- at least one more nursing bra

- if we move, a free or cheap deep freezer. 

Whew. That's a lot for 4 months, especially if you factor in moving. 

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#10 of 25 Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM

I have an Envoy, which I actually think is the same SUV as the Trailblazer.  I have a 7yo that's in a booster, which is the main issue.  It's REALLY hard to buckle his seat if there are 2 carseats in with him.  I'm looking at the Radian seats now, they're just very $$$ (since I already own an infant bucket seat and a convertible.  Sigh, I might just have to deal with the price, they look like great seats that will last the life of the child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesh933 View Post

You ladies are way ahead of me. I haven't even started to think about my to-do list. Ugh...

What kind of SUV do you drive? I have a Chevy Trailblazer, and a van was out of the question right now. We just bought three Radians. I can fit all three across easily, or even two Radians and one of my old Evenflo convertibles (if I decide I don't like the Radian for a newborn, but I think it will work). I had a really hard time fitting 3 seats across in my car, but the Radians work really, really well.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#11 of 25 Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 PM

As far as learning to knit/crochet goes - in order to have some cute things made in the next 4 months, I would also recommend learning crochet, though I personally prefer knitting.

If you choose to learn to knit, knittinghelp.com is amazing, and YouTube videos are helpful too. But know that it will take a good month of knitting a lot to get to that point of muscle-memory where you are able to really get going on a project. There is a shorter learning curve for each new technique (like purling, knitting in the round etc) and the more you knit, the shorter that curve is. When I teach knitting classes we make dishcloths or facecloths - because even if the first one looks awful, it can still clean your dishes. They are also great for learning new stitches and techniques on. Babies need lots of wiping, so knitted cloths are pretty great for that. Use 100% non-mercerized cotton for such projects, also sometimes called craft cotton. You could also knit a blanket by knitting a bunch of dishcloth-like squares and sewing them together. I find squares are good for beginners (rather than making a whole big scarf or blanket to start) because you get to practice all your basics over and over again - you cast on, knit, knit, knit and bind off all in a shortish period of time, so you have a better chance of remembering how to do each of those things. For blankets you could use mercerized cotton, craft cotton, wool or other natural fibres. I personally don't like using synthetic fibres at all, especially with babies. 

For sewing, I'd get someone to teach me. I tried to teach myself and I still make wonky things that I am dissatisfied with. I also have always used poorly tuned old machines, so that could have something to do with it. Sewing lessons are high on my wish list right now, along with a decent machine.

Good luck!  It's so satisfying to make your own baby things!

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#12 of 25 Old 07-11-2011, 04:56 AM

Yeah, same vehicle. That back seat is tight! I found my Radian's on clearance, so I didn't spend nearly what they normally cost. I can sit comfortably between the two Radians, but a booster would definitely complicate things. The car seat situation really stressed me out, I'm hoping these three new seats solved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

I have an Envoy, which I actually think is the same SUV as the Trailblazer.  I have a 7yo that's in a booster, which is the main issue.  It's REALLY hard to buckle his seat if there are 2 carseats in with him.  I'm looking at the Radian seats now, they're just very $$$ (since I already own an infant bucket seat and a convertible.  Sigh, I might just have to deal with the price, they look like great seats that will last the life of the child.

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#13 of 25 Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Sunshine Kids makes a Radian Monterey, which is a belt positioning booster that is narrow like the other Radian seats.

#14 of 25 Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Ok, I got on top of things and made up my lists last night!

To Do:

freeze meals (I'd love to have nearly a month, including Thanksgiving, since I'm due on the big day)

organize desk, closets, kitchen (Started kitchen and closets)

potty train DS ??? (HA! Gave up on this...)

install carseat

establish a better routine and start homeschooling in September

think of a name!

finish Christmas shopping

To Make:

diaper bag

longies/covers (one cover made, longies cut and need to be sewn)

blankets (one for my babe and one for new nephew who will be here in October) (halfway finished with the one for my nephew)

matching shirts for all 3 kiddos

hats

To Buy:

diapers almost there, might get a few more prefolds

birth kit

snappis check!

#15 of 25 Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM

To Do:

Wash my merry carry woven wrap,bara barn wrap, and moby wrap before baby is born

Go through DS's clothes to figure out what i can use for this baby( he was a May baby) and what to keep to give to DS when he's older and sell the rest of it.

Make a list of birth supplies i need and figure out how much it will all cost.

To Make:

more longies- need to buy more yarn

make some shorties for springtime in bigger sizes.

To Buy:

car seat ( will depend on what vehicle i'm driving, dh's truck has a very narrow back bench which i'm currently driving)

bottles for when i pump so dh can help feed baby

bassinet -  bought on craigslist for $20

changing table pad

clothes

snappis

a few  fitteds for nighttime

a few more one size covers

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#16 of 25 Old 07-14-2011, 06:16 AM

We bought a house on 05/31 and moved 06/26. My only BIG project is to unpack. LOL. Last time I started to unpack I had some really bad Braxton hicks. Had to take tylenol and lay down. Hopping to finish, we only have 1-3 boxes unpacked, this weekend so I can start planning for the baby. I havnt had to time to get anything ready for her.

#17 of 25 Old 07-14-2011, 06:22 AM

We live in a 3 bedroom, which is now a 4 bedroom house. So yes, we built another roon, tore down a kitchen wall to open up the space, had a closet built. Work still going on. The house is completely out of order, but I guess I'm excited about it, but super sad to be moving to the new bedroon downstairs, leaving the kids upstairs :(

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#18 of 25 Old 07-15-2011, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

I'm really hoping we don't get displaced by flooding, even though I'm very against the anti-flooding measures that our being taken near our home (pumping the water back into the river and sending it downstream where farms are already being destroyed, levees are already being broken, and farmers are losing not just homes and businesses but their entire way of life and the lives their ancestors built...it breaks my heart, really). This house is small, but it's perfect for what we need right now. And while we have a plan in place if we have to leave, I don't want to think of the joy of the new baby being overshadowed by dealing with losing our house and the tedious process of finding a new place to live, dealing with assistance on our mortgage, all of that. Plus, I don't want to lose our house! I have no intention of this being our forever home, but that doesn't mean I want to be forced out, either!

With that, my projects have expanded to include painting the house (all rooms except the bathroom need it), and new flooring IN the bathroom.

#19 of 25 Old 08-01-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Updated my list! Anybody else?

#20 of 25 Old 08-01-2011, 09:38 AM

What a great idea for a thread! Thanks.

To do:
Clean out pantry.
Eat from the freezer, defrost it at restock with meals.
Clean and organize, well, everything.
Sell my car (in order to take more time off work with the baby, we are becoming a one car family until there is a good reason for a second vehicle)
Set up the baby gate.
Hang a sliding door in the bathroom to make the toilet area private from the rest of the room (I have wanted to do this since we moved in).
Tie dye the white onesies.
Childbirth class? LLL?

To make:
Tights and baby legs
Prefold belts, fleece and wool pull up covers, longies and flats
Training pants and undies (EC)
Hats and bibs
Fleece blankets to waterproofpads the bed and towel squares for under the bum, mouth and my leaky breasts
Nursing pads, Bella band/under shirts for nursing belly coverage.
I am planning to help the kids make a baby quilt.

To buy:
Nursing bras and milk savers (? They go on the side you aren't nursing on to collect everything that dribbles out)
Isis pump
Pain killers for afterpains.
Car seat
Amber necklace
Snap pliers and snaps.

Gosh, that seems like plenty to keep my busy.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#21 of 25 Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 AM

My main project right now is packing up/cleaning & moving into our new house. We'll be closing the week of august 15th, and right now my husband is out of town so I'm trying to do major decluttering while he's gone and get things packed.

There's so much to do, I'll just list what I have done so I don't get discouraged!

-Decluttered 1 bag of stuff from the boys' room

-Packed up boys' collections

-Washed extra blankets to be packed

-Sorted through older son's clothes for back to school

-Copied all my favorite CDs over to iTunes and tossed out the discs (they've been sitting in a huge case for the last six years and I NEVER listen to them- time to part ways!)

-Got rid of exercise ball that is too big for anyone in our family and just takes up space

-Canned salmon to lighten up our freezer space

-Packed up all my teeny tiny (at least that's how they look right now!) pre-pregnancy clothes

I think that's it for last week. Tonight I'm going to go through all the lotions/hair creams in the bathroom and get rid of any that I'm not using. Maybe I'll start packing up extra dishes since it's just me and my younger son for the next couple weeks too.

#22 of 25 Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 PM

Oh man.  I was feeling so ahead of the game, until I started thinking of what was left to do....but this  is a very helpful thread - other people's lists have helped me remember a few more things I need to do!!

TO BUY:

baby book

bottle sterilizer

tub sling
feeding pillow
xmas shopping finished
update hurricane supplies
dd's big girl bed, bedding 
second diaper pail
new blankets
new stove!!!
finish filling a 'busy box' for DD - new colouring books, crayons, little games, puzzles, stickers, etc
buy thank you cards
stock up on basic household supplies (tp, soap, etc) and pantry
hospital bag and postpartum supplies
new pajamas and comfy clothing for me
Finish buying DD's fall wardrobe, winter pajamas
fall shoes for DD
newborn bouncy chair?
DH's birthday gift

TO DO:
organize newborn clothing
wash blankets, get new if needed
wash and organize bottles, formula, new nipples?
fill deep freezer with meals and baked goods
declutter toys
work on potty training
move crib from DD's to our room
set up bedside basket for diapers, etc
pack hospital bag
add to hospital bag: shampoo,  list of phone numbers, deck of cards, camera charger, going home outfit, shirt and pajamas for DH, snacks for DH (cooler in car?), pads, change for vending machines,  newborn diapers, formula and nipples, nail clippers,
update and charge ipod
close to due date- lay out outfits for DD so DH and MIL can dress her properly, haha!
write out a list of meal ideas for DD - see above, :)
wash slings
clean out and prepare spare room for company
car -  replenish 1st aid kit, winter supplies(spare mittens, blanket, etc)
check newborn car seat expiry, wash cover
clean car
wash cosleeper cover
find newborn clippers, toiletries, etc
get photo scrapbook up to date 

TO MAKE
sew baby pants
halloween costume(s)?
new cover for moses basket
flannel blankets and burp rags
fall dresses and smocks for DD

bigeyes.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#23 of 25 Old 08-15-2011, 01:50 PM

Great thread!  I need to start thinking about this in an organized manner : )

TO DO

Get newborn baby clothes and diapers out of storage and organize them somehow.  Can't decide if I have to get a new dresser for baby, thinking that we will start out trying to share.

Organize laundry room!

Move changing table and diaper pail into our bedroom : (

Sidecar crib to our bed (DS never slept in it this way, but it was great for extra blankets, clothes, diapers, nightlight, etc for all those newborn nursing sessions and changes!)

Come up with plan for DS during birth.  Come up with plan for guests after the birth.

Yoga/meditation as birth preparation.  Read birth stories.

Working on potty training DS at his insistance.  We were going to wait until after baby's arrival, but since he wanted to start we want to help him be as diaper-free as possible by November.

Get birth kit together.

Get infant car seat.  We will either get the one we loaned out back or get another hand-me-down from a friend.

Get my job situated and ready for my leave.

TO BUY

Ring sling.  I feel like it was the only carrier we didn't have last time and I'd love to have one for the newborn stage this time.

Special somethings for the toddler to celebrate becoming a big brother.  Toys/activities to keep him occupied on this wintery maternity leave!

More wet bags.

More small prefold diapers.  We used a diaper service for the first few months with DS so we don't have the smallest prefolds. 

TO MAKE

You mamas are amazing! I haven't had the time to think about making anything for my own kids, usually just try for other people as gifts.  I will probably try to get into crocheting again as the seasons change.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

#24 of 25 Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 AM

I am pumped, looking at all my crossed off to-do's.  I never would have been so organized if I hadn't written them all down here!

I feel like if the baby came tomorrow we could cope!  Not only are the essentials done, but so are a lot of the "if there's time" items too! joy.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#25 of 25 Old 08-16-2011, 12:37 PM

Ooooh what a fun idea, I just started in on a lot of my stuff this week.

To Do

Install carseat

Hang up clothes, move diapers into drawer

Freezer meals

Deep clean house

Pull birthing pool out of attic and make sure sink adaptor is still in the bag

Apply for state health insurance

To Make

cloth pads Almost done!

split crotch pants and longies (my first cold weather baby)

reusable chux/piddle pads

bunk beds with trundle and drawers for the older girls (they are staying in our room, but it's pretty crowded)

To Buy

fabric for pads/EC pants

towels MIL just gave me old flannel sheets so I'll be using those for my homemade chux instead of towels!

birth kit

wood for bunk beds

a couch (if we aren't moving right away, we only have one chair, and it's not going to be a good nursing chair)

House

(We were trying to get the house rented out and move in with my family, but we ran out of money to get the house ready. I am still hoping to have my husband finish up these projects before baby so we can move if we still want, or so I am not living in limbo in a half-finished project any more.)

Drywall and paint wall addition between kitchen and living room

Pull up old tile in kitchen and dining

Install new flooring in kitchen and dining room DH just scored flooring for the dining room cheap on craigslist.  Now we need to borrow some tools!

Put fridge back in the kitchen (it's currently in my living room)

Patch holes in ceiling

Paint ceiling

Install/repair light fixtures in bedrooms

sand down the wood flooring throughout house

refinish wood floors

finish planters in front yard

Fix heater (we exclusively heated with wood the last two years, I just don't see myself out splitting kindling this winter...)

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page