Running mamas! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi ladies, I just posted about this in the health/fitness forum, but wanted to shout out to my fellow November DDC members too!  Any of you ladies running during this pregnancy?  Eon, I know you are - how's that going with your growing twins along for the ride? :)

I was an avid runner before this pregnancy, averaging 7-9 miles a day, 4-6 days a week.  I was utterly sedentary the first trimester (don't really have to explain why, I'm sure), and started running again my 2nd tri with my midwife's blessing.  Feeling ok, but I can only go about 2 miles at a time, with tons of walk breaks (to walk off my RLP, which has been annoying but mild).  I want to keep it up -- safely.  Any tips from other pregnant runners?

Please join me on this thread!

Katie, married to my beloved Paddy

Catherine Anne "KJ" born November 10th, 2011

#2 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was an avid runner pre-first pregnancy, but had to cut way back in order to elongate my LP so we could conceive.  I tried walking and running during that pregnancy a bit, but found it increased my m/s and caused contractions.  So I stopped. I would only get about 1-2 miles as well.  I took up yoga and pilates instead for the rest of the pregnancy.   I started running again around 2 months pp and really got back into it for a bit, but when the winter hit I got sick all the time (nursing and severe sleep deprivation + kid germs) and would have to take months off at a time.  Once I got pregnant with #2 I wasn't running anymore at all and stuck with walking and yoga/pilates.  It took me until about 4-5 months pp to get back into running again- this time with a double stroller- and kept that up until winter... again with all the illnesses (moving through multiple states exacerbates this as well).  I'm hoping by #3 we'll have had all the germs for a lifetime of immunity!   Anyway, I feel like I might be able to jog a bit now, but I'm not going to push it and just stick to walking. 

Really, as long as you aren't getting your heart rate up too high, aren't having contractions, and stay well nourished/hydrated you can run as much as feels good.  Just be extra cautious of injury b/c your ligaments are looser than usual.  It is safest to stick to soft, but even terrain as much as possible (like tracks- though I always find them boring).  Oh, and good supportive shoes and bras.  I found I'd have to wear more than one sport bra- especially pp when I was quite full of milk.  Good luck... I hope you're able to keep it up better than I did!  jog.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

One of the hardest things for me is the CONSTANT urge to pee.  I am trying to convince DH to pull the treadmill out of storage (where it's sitting while we live with his grandmother -- we're here "temporarily" -- it sucks).  We'll have to stick the treadmill in our bedroom, and it'll only be here till the baby's born (we'll probably move it out several weeks before my due date so we can squeeze in baby stuff), but it's worth it so I can stop every 5-10 minutes to run to the bathroom.  Part of why I love running so much is the fact that I can do it outside, but the constant need to pee just makes it virtually impossible.  If there were a bathroom every hundred yards or so down the sidewalk, I'd be set. :)

#4 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Do you actually need to pee or are you leaking a few drops?  I definitely have issues with minor incontinence due to my pregnancies/births and when I run hard or longer distances I just wear a cloth pad to soak up the little bit of pee that I cannot control.  Fun, fun.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#5 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

I actually do have to pee, but often it's very very little - and it's more the sensation of needing to pee than the actual need.  When I slow down to a walk, I don't feel like I have to go anymore, but when I run, the feeling comes right back.  If I'm fortunate enough to stumble upon a port-a-potty (uber-gross in this warm weather) or a public bathroom, it's usually just a tiny trickle.  Then I feel relief for like 3 minutes.  Ugh.

#6 of 13 Old 07-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Me! Running during pregnancy makes me feel strong and happy! I ran about three times a week until 39 weeks with my first pregnancy, mostly somewhere in the 3-4 mile range (with an occasional 6-10 mile trail run) but I did have to take a couple of breaks. The first break was during the first trimester, because yuck. The second was somewhere in the 32-week period, because I started having contractions.

I stay well-hydrated, but after being dismayed by my new pregnancy heartrate and my inablity to consistently keep it under 140, I tucked it away somewhere never to be seen again. I decided it was better to go by how I was feeling, and just try to maintain a conversational speed. Also, I said phooey to the "supportive shoes" advice plastered all over the internet. I ran in my Vibram five fingers the whole pregnancy, and never had any problems with my joints. I've never twisted or rolled my ankles running in them, and I'm much less likely to fall on trail.

Aside from supportive bras (I have to double up), my most important piece of pregnancy running gear is a belly band. I call it my belly bra. Without it there is way too much pressure and bouncing on my ligaments and organs, including my bladder. :) Just that little bit of uplift on the baby really helps!

I'm at 21 weeks with this pregnancy, and although it's harder to get out the door with my not-quite-2 year old in the jogging stroller, I'm still getting out there and running 2-3 times a week (sadly, without my beloved trails). I just started having sporadic RLP, but I'm trying to work around it, hoping it will be short lived.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I run turtle speed slow now. Running is hard work normally, but during pregnancy it feels like I'm constantly running into a headwind. :)

#7 of 13 Old 07-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKatie View Post

I actually do have to pee, but often it's very very little - and it's more the sensation of needing to pee than the actual need.  When I slow down to a walk, I don't feel like I have to go anymore, but when I run, the feeling comes right back.  If I'm fortunate enough to stumble upon a port-a-potty (uber-gross in this warm weather) or a public bathroom, it's usually just a tiny trickle.  Then I feel relief for like 3 minutes.  Ugh.

I'm pretty sure the urge to pee is also a form of incontinence. It's so uncomfortable! A lot of runner's have kind of weak pelvic floors to begin with, add a baby bouncing up and down on your baldder and...yikes! Kegel exercises should help if you can get yourself to consistently do them every day. Let me know if you figure out how to consistently do them though, because I've never been able to! :D Also, the belly band I mentioned above might help.

#8 of 13 Old 07-17-2011, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input!  Do you have a suggestion for a certain maternity belt to wear, and where I can get it?  I think that may be the next logical step for me, especially if it'll relieve the pressure on my bladder!

I run super-slow too, with lots of walk breaks, but I just love running so much I can't imagine not doing it at all!

#9 of 13 Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 PM

It's great to find some other brave running souls.  I have been running through this pregnancy as well although I too took a break during the first trimester.  I was so sick and tired I couldn't make it through a run.  So far, however, running (or should I say shuffling) has felt great!  I am starting to get some cramps when I first run (they are stitches though like if you run after a meal) but they seem to work themselves out after about ten minutes or so.  My plan is to keep running until it doesn't feel good anymore.  I am happy that the pressure on my bladder has eased a bit in the last few weeks so I no longer feel like I have to pee during the whole run.  I am running for about 25 or 30 minutes max. a couple times a week.

Keep up the good work everyone! 

#10 of 13 Old 07-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKatie View Post

Thanks for all your input!  Do you have a suggestion for a certain maternity belt to wear, and where I can get it?  I think that may be the next logical step for me, especially if it'll relieve the pressure on my bladder!

I run super-slow too, with lots of walk breaks, but I just love running so much I can't imagine not doing it at all!

The maternity belt I use is the Gabrialla, and I cinch it down pretty tight. I purchased it online from Fit Maternity along with a pair of stretchy maternity shorts. I also like the extra added support from the shorts (they're super soft!), but the legs do tend to creep up on me a bit which can become annoying.

#11 of 13 Old 07-22-2011, 08:04 AM

I have been looking into excersise and pregnancy quite a bit with this pregnancy because I also biked during the first 18 weeks or so.  I find with biking, it is much easier for your heart rate to spike as you are getting up a hill.  Most mainstream websites say that strenuous exercise should be avoided, keep heart rate below 140, etc., however, after speaking to a few women who were very fit pre-pregnancy and who are also doctors, their view was that as long as you exercised strenuously before pregnancy, it is not an issue to have bursts of strenuous activity (i.e. running or biking) while pregnant.  Basically, our bodies are used to having our heart rates spike and recover and as long as we are not keeping our heart rates high for extended periods of time, becoming dehydrated or overheated, there are no issues.  I found this quite reassuring so I thought I'd share it.  Of course, this is not expert medical advice and everyone should check with their care providers to make sure. 

On another note, is anyone riding??  I am an avid mountain biker while not pregnant so went for a few more mellow rides earlier on.  I haven't ridden for the last month or so on the trails but did buy a great upright town bike and am having a lot of fun on that.  I ride with my daughter on the back and get quite a lot of looks these days :)  Mostly smiles though...

PS.  Hoping this is a safe forum to share activities that some people might avoid during pregnancy so only positive replies please!  

#12 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 AM

I've been running about three times a week between 5-7 km but it's the weather that's going to make me give it up I think. Summer finally arrived in Vancouver the past couple days and I found I was really heating up even at my mega-slow pregnant running pace. Since I keep hearing/reading about how important it is to keep your body temperature under control, I was trying to run early mornings but there's a limit to how early I'm going to get up! I have to take more and more walking breaks, especially on hills because I find I get crampy and sore... is that contractions? It's not as bad as riding my bike though! I don't have a car and normally would bike everywhere but I find it really uncomfortable now. Yoga still feels good and I'm planning to try and start swimming soon (even though I'm terrible at it). The exercise makes me feel like I'm doing normal things. I'm happy to know there's other women out there running during pregnancy too! I only have one friend who's had a baby and she was completely sedentary for her pregnancy so I can't really compare these feelings with her

Has anyone else read Spark by John J Ratey and Eric Hagerman? 

#13 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 01:27 PM

I loved swimming with my first pregnancy but have yet to venture into the pool with this one.  Perhaps because I've been able to keep biking and running for longer this time.  I'm sure I will get back into it soon though and it does feel so good to be weightless as we get bigger.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page