Spotlight on Mal85 (Mallory) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is the Spotlight Thread for Mal85 (Mallory)

Mallory, please copy the questions below into a new post and bold them.  Answer them as you feel comfortable, adding any extra information you'd like to share.

DDC members, please feel free to comment and add your own questions to keep the conversation going!

1.  How did you choose your screen name?

2.  Where do you live?  Where were you born?

3.  What are your plans for this birth?

4.  What is one of your favorite books?

5.  What is the dominant color in your closet?

6.  If you could visit anywhere in the world where would you go and why?

7.  Do you have any pets?

8.  What is your current job?  What did you do pre-motherhood?

9.  What is one thing you like to do in your free time?

10. What's one thing you're looking forward to doing differently with this baby.  What's one thing you plan to do the same?

We look forward to getting to know you better!  smile.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#2 of 8 Old 07-16-2011, 02:27 PM

1.  How did you choose your screen name? Mal is a nickname for Mallory and I was born in 1985. Kinda boring, I know. 

2.  Where do you live?  Where were you born? I live in a small town about an hour away from Kansas City, MO and was born at the closest hospital from here, about 30 minutes away. I've only lived in this town my whole life.

3.  What are your plans for this birth? I am having a hospital birth with a midwife just like with my first DD. I do have a doula this time though, which I'm looking forward to. I tried for a natural birth with my first, but got an epidural after I was started on pitocin. I'll try again this time.

4.  What is one of your favorite books? Oh my, I have so many favorites I really can't choose just one. My husband got me a Kindle for Christmas last year and I haven't stopped reading since I got it. I think I'm up to around 40 books I've read this year.

5.  What is the dominant color in your closet?  I go through color phases. Right now, I'm in a purple phase. I just came out of a green and brown phase, before that it was a pink phase, and so on...

6.  If you could visit anywhere in the world where would you go and why? I would love to visit Ina May Gaskin's Farm. I recently started doing my readings to become a doula and have fallen in love with the stories from The Farm.

7.  Do you have any pets? I have two cats, Lulu and Hendrix.

8.  What is your current job?  What did you do pre-motherhood? For now, I am running a daycare in my home and have since I graduated college a little over two years ago. I am only doing this for a few more weeks before I start my new job as a part-time preschool teacher. Pre-motherhood, I was a full time student studying Child and Family Development.

9.  What is one thing you like to do in your free time? I love to read, as you can see from the above. With it being summer, I've also been spending a lot of time in some sort of water... lake, swimming pool, whatever.

10. What's one thing you're looking forward to doing differently with this baby.  What's one thing you plan to do the same? The biggest thing will be that I won't be home with the baby full time. I was 6 weeks shy of graduation when my first DD was born, so I have been at home with her pretty much from the beginning. I'm looking forward to the time out of the house, but so happy it's only full time, so I will still have most of my time with my kids. The same? That's such a "we'll see" kind of thing. We coslept with our daughter, cloth diapered, exclusively breasted, etc. My motto has always been that we do what works and I believe different things work with different babies. So, even though I plan on doing most of that the same I also realize some of the things I loved doing before may not be so great this time. 

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#3 of 8 Old 07-16-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Wow!  40 books this year!  Seriously how do you find the time?  I miss reading, but can't seem to get any blocks of time to do it.  What are the last 5 books you read?

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 8 Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Wow!  40 books this year!  Seriously how do you find the time?  I miss reading, but can't seem to get any blocks of time to do it.  What are the last 5 books you read?

I'm lucky enough to get all the daycare kiddos down for a nap at the same time everyday, and I take advantage of that time! I also read in the evenings after DD goes to bed and in bed before I fall asleep. I take good reading time wherever I can get it!

Hmmm... last 5?

1. Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan

2. The Nanny Diaries 

3. Family History by Dani Shapiro

4. Atlas of Love by Laurie Frankel

5. The Birth House by Ami McKay 

I've been on a bit of a chick-lit kick for the summer, plus I have a book club that meets monthly so those books are thrown in there too. 

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#5 of 8 Old 07-20-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

bump.gif  Any more comments or questions for Mallory?

#6 of 8 Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 AM

I've got a few.

-What's your favorite food? Do you like to cook?

-Do you want more kids after this one? 

-What's your favorite and least favorite things about being pregnant?

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#7 of 8 Old 07-20-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post

I've got a few.

-What's your favorite food? Do you like to cook?

-Do you want more kids after this one? 

-What's your favorite and least favorite things about being pregnant?

1. Right now, pizza! That has been my biggest pregnancy craving by far. Normally, I like any kind of Italian. Noodles are a big part of my diet. I also love a good rib-eye steak. Yum!

2. The topic of more babies is kind of up in the air. DH is 4 years older than me and ready to be done after this baby. I'm only 25, will turn 26 shortly after the birth and just not ready to close the door yet. I love babies and adored the baby stage with DD, but it is a lot of work. I also really look forward to having kids. When we can take them places and not have to worry about packing a diaper bag, making sure the baby can nurse, making sure we arrange our schedule around someone's nap, etc. I'd like to have this baby and see how it goes. I am a little sad about the possibility of never having a son, though. DH wanted to get snipped when this baby is born, but we compromised on an IUD. We agreed if we make it 5 years with the Mirena, then we'll talk about a vasectomy. 

3. My favorite is definitely feeling the baby move around. I just love that feeling, even when it's not so comfortable. I imagine which body parts I'm feeling and try to get an idea of where the baby is positioned, it makes me feel more connected to the baby. My least favorite... the lack of energy, the nausea in the beginning and just generally not being able to use my body the way I want to. 

#8 of 8 Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
...the nausea in the beginning and just generally not being able to use my body the way I want to.

nod.gif  For sure!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page