Diapers...times 2? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-23-2011, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Those of you who have had or will have two in cloth diapers, how many diapers do you have?? I've never had two in diapers before, and I don't think I'm going to put much effort into potty learning for DS until he is closer to 2. I just don't want to deal with that and a newborn, KWIM? I've been slowly buying more diapers, and this is my current stash:

18 OS pocket diapers

11 size medium Fuzzi Bunz (these are 15-30 lbs, and my other two DC would've fit around 3-4 months old)

11 OS fitteds

12 toddler size PFs

30ish infant PFs (my sister has these right now, but I should have them back by November)

5 OS covers

4 NB/small Bummis covers

2-3 NB longies

1 12-18 mo Crankypants

I'm thinking of buying some PFs in a size between the two sizes I have, making a few more wool covers in smallish sizes, and getting some Snappis. I keep telling myself not to buy too many diapers because this is the last baby, but honestly, I said that last time!

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#2 of 6 Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM

I have about 50 BG 3.0s.. Bought a ton of second hand when they had the 12 for twenty sale. Our 14 month old has a suedecloth reaction now though so they are just sitting there.

12 Lil Joeys I'm pretty sure won't work on this baby if it follows suit of our others with size.

8 Kissaluv newborn fitteds with four various covers (I'm going to get a few more before November)

14 Rumparooz one size.

and one FB one size..

Jack had a reaction to FBs when he was little so I traded them all for BG mediums and of course now FBs don't bother him at all and BGs do.

I tried econobums with Jack when he was born but he gets instant rash when pee is contact with his skin for anything other than an immediate diaper change. So I've stayed away from prefolds and now they intimidate me! haha In all my sleepless glory one night I thought I needed stitches from a snappi and ever since I've given up. I love the idea of them though and might try again.

Every since I joined the Cloth Diaper swap group on FB I've grown slightly more addicted and need to step away from the computer..

#3 of 6 Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 PM

I'm really nervous about this. I don't know how many I have but I'm guessing maybe 30 total of everything. And unless my 20 month old trains before Nov 29thish, I'll have 2 in diapers. :( And I can't afford more diapers. So I dunno what I'll do to be honest.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#4 of 6 Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 PM

I currently have about a dozen one size snappiable fitteds, 16 flats (flour sack towels and receiving blankets we use as diapers), around a dozen regular prefolds, and around half a dozen infant prefolds. We are being given 10 more prefolds, and I am planning to get about 2 dozen more flats, 2 dozen preemie prefolds, and another dozen infant prefolds. I figure that should be plenty for two in diapers.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#5 of 6 Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Well, generally for the newborn period you need about 10-15 diapers per day.  Less for premiums, more for prefolds.  With toddlers you generally need 6-10 diapers per day depending on how often you change. 

So there are several combinations of dipes and wash schedules that would require different amounts. 

If you use strictly nb size on the baby and want to wash every other day you'll need about 24 nb sized dipes.

Your toddler is well covered with all the prefolds, mediums, and OS dipes you have.

Once baby outgrows the nb size the 30 infant sized prefolds will replace them for every other day washing and slowly baby can start fitting the OS dipes as well.

Once baby outgrows the infant size prefolds and needs to use the OS dipes your toddler might be potty training.  If not, he still might have cut down on his diaper needs even more and might just be using the toddler prefolds as you're training him.

So I would say that you have a pretty good stash going and don't really need to get any more unless you want to wash less often than every other day.  If your toddler doesn't train within a few months of baby's birth and doesn't cut down on his diaper usage, it is possible you'll need to add a few more prefolds to your stash, but you can figure that out when you get there and sell off your nb stash to pay for them.

I'm sort of winging here myself as I'm hoping to have ds (now 18 months) out of diapers during the day by the time the baby is born.  But if he's simply not ready for that then I'll have to wait and see how my stash works out.   Right now I have enough to go almost 4 full days without washing.  So I figure if that has to be split between two kiddos, I'll probably still manage to get away with every other day washing.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 6 Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so it sounds like I'm probably good. I'm planning on making some recycled wool covers/longies, and a friend offered me some Econobum covers, so I should be set. Both my other two were 9 lb babies, so I'm not going to even bother buying anything newborn-sized... (Poor DS - I had some NB AIOs with him, and I couldn't figure out why his feet wouldn't pink up, even a week after he was born. The diapers were so tight they cut off the circulation to his fat little legs!)

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page