flying while pregnant with twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Everyone!

I am 22 weeks pregnant with twins. My official due date suppose to be 28.11.2011. Me and my husband are from different nationalities. I flyed to my country to visit my family when I was 16 weeks pregnant and now I suppose to fly back. The doctors wont recommend it. They say that it is a big threath to go into labor in the airplane due to difference of air pressure in the cabin and if that will happen no medicine nowadays cant save my babies. My flight will be 11 hours. So far I have had trouble free pregnancy. I love my husband very much and I would like to be with him when the babies will be born. For him to come to my country is very difficult due to visa problems. Please ladies, I need your thoughts and advices..what would you do? Would you fly or not?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 03:52 PM

I know your feeling. My husband and I were in diff countries when I had the twins. It was horrid. I was one place and he was another. He didnt get to see the babies born. His did make it home when they were 3 months old. I could have went to Jamaica to have the babies, but I didnt want to have a c section there.

I would say listen to the Dr. they don't always know best;however, they do have your best interest at heart. I wishing the best of luck to you and your family.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:11 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Usually flying is not recommended past 34-35 weeks with a normal pregnancy because of the reasons your doctor gave as well as other lesser concerns like blood circulation issues while sitting for long periods, dehydration from plane air, and being away from your normal care provider.  With twins I would imagine the cut off for flying would be earlier, but I am surprised that it would be as early as 21-22 weeks.  I would seek a second and probably third opinion on this matter b/c being with your partner for the birth of your children is a very big deal. 

You might also try posting in the I'm Pregnant and Parenting  Multiples forums to see if you can get even more responses.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your answers. I am very grateful for any advice!! I suppose to fly in a week and I am still in front of dilemma. The thing is, I do not know how big threath flying really is. I do not want to lose my babies.. But being stressed out here, away from my husband and home... In the end will it be healthier?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Yes, ask another doctor or midwife to help make your decision.  I really find it hard to believe that you would be threatening the life of your babies by flying at 23 weeks.  I'm sure you'd take all the appropriate precautions like bringing plenty of water and food and making sure to get up and walk around frequently.  And oxygen is available on all flights if it were necessary.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

User Tag List