I threw out my back :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, it's official. I need to live in a bubble until the baby arrives. I just threw out my back.mecry.gif I feel so down in the dumps, after all I've been dealing with already and now this? I just wasn't thinking... My cat was throwing up on the carpet and I ran to pick him up and put him on the hardwood kitchen floor. He started projectile vomiting while I was running with him held out in front of me and it startled me so I tried letting him down quickly but gently. I ended up in a semi-squat bend-forward and totally screwed up my lower back. greensad.gif I've never felt back pain like this before; it's excruciating. I was shaking in shock for a good half hour and freaking out. I can't sit up or barely move in general! How the heck am I supposed to do anything while in this state?! I really hope and pray this is just a really temporary injury and I didn't do any lasting damage. I left a voicemail for my chiropractor. I hope she can see me first thing tomorrow and that my husband can drive me!

Has anybody else done anything like this while pregnant? Was it temporary? Any danger to the baby? My midwife told me as long as I'm not cramping and it's just a back injury, the baby should be fine and I'll be okay to wait until I see the chiropractor. I'm using ice in the meantime. I would give anything to take a bunch of anti-inflammatory painkillers right now but I'm stuck with extra strength Tylenol that's barely touching the pain. I just feel like screaming! I hate being a pity party and asking, "Why me?" for anything that I'm ever faced with. But my bad luck during pregnancy is getting out of hand and I'm at my wits end! angry.gif

I need a hug.

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It is temporary. Not only is your center of gravity changing to accomodate baby, your body is producing relaxin, which relaxes some of your joints. My back slipped out 6 weeks post-partum and I was stuck hunched over and literally not bending over to do anything for almost a week. Thank GOD I had my husband at the time and my 3 year old to hand me stuff when I needed something down low. It is very temporary, but once it happens, you have to be conscious about how you bend over cuz it'll slip at any time without notice. Sometimes when I bend at the middle of my back, where it slipped out the first time, I can feel it trying to slip out of place, so I change position slightly or wait a second to bend the RIGHT way to pick something up. This means not bending over at the hip to pick it up. You reach out with your arms, bend your knees, grab and lift with your legs and not your back. This might look silly, but it saves yourself from injury or being bed-ridden or constantly in a chiro's office, hunched over.

By the way........ CYBER HUGS!!!!! hug2.gif

Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 AM

Was she able to see you? How are you doing now? hug2.gif

Morgan. Single mama to DS (10/27/11) fambedsingle1.gif bfinfant.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

www.facebook.com/gnomegrowncreations

Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance and hugs. hug.gif I woke up this morning and was able to walk and drive, but the second my Tylenol wore off -- the pain was so bad I was nauseous and sweating. I got in to see my chiropractor's partner and he said I bulged a disc in my lower back. He put it back into place (OUCH!) and I had a ton of relief for a few hours. But the pain is flaring up again now unfortunately. DH keeps telling me that it's probably all swollen and healing so it'll still flare up for a few days, I just need to be patient. duh.gif I wish I had a really firm mattress or couch to lay on. It would help so much. No matter where I sit or lay in our house, though, it's making my back throb. I should be walking around more. I'm just so tired. I seriously would kill for some anti-inflammatories!

Hey, if one good thing has come out of this, it's that I have completely forgotten about my pubic symphysis pain, LOL!

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well I'm glad you were able to be seen. I do agree that the pain after your back was put back into place is just inflamation. I know it's a no-no, but I take ibuprofen from time to time if I have alot of back pain or feel really uncomfortable.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 PM

I got whiplash a week after my BFP with dd3. I was out of commission for WEEKS. My Dr gave me naproxen to take. When I asked him about it, he said to use it only as needed, and never in the third trimester. But as long as bleeding conditions aren't a factor it's safe until then. The risk is blood being too think from NSAID drugs close to birthing time. I'd say double check with a pharmacist or Dr and take it if you need to.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:05 PM

I have had this happen a couple of times this pregnancy. Once from a sudden movement and the other from over-exertion throughout the day. Both times, it just took me a few days to come around. Lots of rest, ice, heat, whatever feels good. I've taken medication, but I always feel safer if I just wait it out.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
Old 08-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Oh Mama, I hope you're feeling better by now!  hug2.gif A good rule to remember is that it'll hurt for as long after the adjustment as it did before the adjustment.  Like going up and then down a hill.  That inflammation is a beotch. I threw out my low back at around 18 weeks, doing nothing but maybe slouching on the couch for too long.  I tried to pop it back in myself with stretches but I think I made it worse by doing that.  When I finally saw the chiropractor she got it back in but explained that it was actually the left side of my hip that slipped backwards behind my sacrum.  My legs were different lengths by a couple inches! It took a good while to feel better after all that and I do things a lot more carefully now.  I've had had several episodes of throwing my low back out for half my life. But now that relaxin is added to the mix I'm grateful every day that I don't throw myself out!

I really believe that what helped get me back to normal was having my glutes massaged (the big muscles of the butt - gluteus maximus/medius/minimus, the piriformis, the sacral-iliac joint, even down the IT band).  The inflammation and the shocked muscles will constrict on your nerves, so having these muscles kneaded and warmed will help them release your nerves.  This kneading of the butt muscles can be done with your clothes on, while you're lying on your side.  The moment they're worked on you realize just how tight they are.  And this group of muscles connect to so much!  Getting these muscles loosened will in turn loosen your sacrum, your low back and potentially your back and shoulders because they'll stop compensating for your strained posture.  With all this relaxin flowing around our pelvises it would be wise to make sure that our muscles are less tight and more efficient at they're real jobs.  Find a massage therapist who specializes in medical massage or chronic pain. Some chiropractors have MT's in their offices or try calling a local massage school - the student hourly rates should be much lower than a professional MT.

Good luck and I really hope you are feeling much better!

married to my best friend ; Proud mama of one fine boy and one fine girl !!!!

User Tag List