Colostrum??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-26-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have two children...both nursed until they self weaned at 18 months, likely due to my being pregnant. My youngest has started asking for "milk" again and I offered to him knowing that my milk in quantity is long gone. He only suckles for a a few seconds and is done and maybe just once a week or so. No biggie except for the pain it causes me! Today, though, as I was trying to get a little bit out, or see if there was any, my nipple expressed dark green, like forest colored, liquid from some of the milk holes and then greenish yellow like colostrum tends to be in the early days after birth and some was clear. It was very strange. I have never had that before. Anyone else??? It's only on one side. I can't get anything from the other side. I don't know if I am concerned I just think it's weird!

#2 of 7 Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I saw someplace online, that showed green milk as being normal. which just seems odd. I wish i could find the link.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#3 of 7 Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 AM

That's interesting. My 2 year old is still nursing and I'm making drops of white/yellow milk yet (more from one side than another). I have kind of a funny shaped nipple on one side, kind of a bump on the bottom of it, and yesterday I noticed when I brushed against it in the shower a drop of orange colostrum (? I think ?) randomly jumped out of that part. So, part of my nipple is making milk and part is making colostrum? Who knows!

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#4 of 7 Old 07-28-2011, 02:50 PM

What you eat can affect your milk - including color.  If you consume lots of food of one color, I'm especially thinking of strongly colored veggies, it can cause your milk to turn that color.

Jen - married to my superhero.gif, mama to DD (19), DD (17), DS (13), DSD (13), DS (8), forever missing my Hannah Grace candle.gif born still at 18 weeks, now on bedrest and expecting our miracle rainbow1284.gif in November.

#5 of 7 Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM

I have white, yellow and clear colostrum at this point. I have breastfed three children and have never seen green milk or colostrum, but I have read that what you eat and drink can change your milk colors (like green and blue).

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#6 of 7 Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 PM

I don't know about green, but I definitely have colostrum now. It's yellow and salty -- I can tell DC3 is not sure what to do about it! And DC2 finally weaned at 3.5 years, probably because of the taste. I'm not complaining -- I was so ready for him to be done. He had nursed through the last pregnancy (obviously) but I guess it was more important for him when he was littler.

#7 of 7 Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

It's probably totally fine.  What prenatal vitamins are you taking?  Rainbow Light by any chance?  Or a different brand that contains something like spirulina?  That can cause your milk to turn greenish/blueish and colostrum tends to be yellow.  Put blueish and yellowish together and you get green.   Meds can also change the color... have you taken anything different recently?  Also, you could always ask your care provider to be sure you do not have an infection.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page