Nervous about u/s - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Our follow up u/s to confirm whether our baby has a cleft or not is on Monday. I've held it all together really well the whole last month and a half and it's been easy to be grateful for the healthy baby that he is and all of the things that are right with him. However, as we move into these last couple of days before the u/s I can't help but focus more on the things I could be losing. I may not be able to have a homebirth. I may not be able to nurse. I may be pumping every 2 hours and feeding my baby with special bottles. When would I sleep? Who will take care of my family?

Ergh... I'm going a little crazy here. If I can just get through until we have more answers I think I will be okay. It's just this waiting thing. Wahhhh!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hug2.gif  I will send peaceful thoughts your way.  Whatever it ends up being, Im sure you can handle it!

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 PM

Hi Willsmomm,

I just saw your post - I hope everything went well today.  Please post an update when you are able.

Jen - married to my superhero.gif, mama to DD (19), DD (17), DS (13), DSD (13), DS (8), forever missing my Hannah Grace candle.gif born still at 18 weeks, now on bedrest and expecting our miracle rainbow1284.gif in November.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 AM

I would love to hear how it went, too!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here! My baby does have a cleft lip, possibly a cleft palate. Not the best news in the world but it will be okay, I'm sure. I'm not worried about the lip, or the scar. I'm a little worried about the surgeries of course but my biggest worries all revolve around feeding. If only the lip is cleft affected I should be able to breastfeed. Possibly even if the palate is affected but less likely. It is highly possible that I will have to be pumping every 2 hours and then feeding the baby with bottles. Wouldn't be such a big deal if I didn't already have three children and an absentee student husband. 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything and trying to focus on my gratitude that this seems to be an isolated incident, rather than part of a syndrome and that everything else on my baby looks absolutely perfect. Thanks for checking in on me!

Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM

(((((((())))))))) Sending you lots of light and love, mama. You can do this.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:25 PM

Willsmom,

I'm sorry you didn't get the news that you wanted.  But you are right that it will be okay.  Keep that faith. 

If you haven't already, can I suggest that you get in touch with a La Leche League leader soon?  If there is not a leader in your area that has personal experience with these issues, ask them if they can find a leader that does.  If that doesn't work, let me know and I may be able to get you in touch with a leader in my area who's daughter had a cleft issue when she was born.  I haven't talked to her in years, but we still have friends in common.

Best of luck!!!

Jen - married to my superhero.gif, mama to DD (19), DD (17), DS (13), DSD (13), DS (8), forever missing my Hannah Grace candle.gif born still at 18 weeks, now on bedrest and expecting our miracle rainbow1284.gif in November.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Thinking of you and sending you love and strength. hug2.gif

belly.gifTeresa, wife of Chris, mom to be 11/11/2011.2ndtri.gif neg.gifFound out 03/20/11 and it was the best moment in our lives!  Always in our hearts, 01/01/2010angel.gif (8 weeks)rainbow1284.gif

dust.gifCounting down!!!***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif**baby.gif

Old 08-08-2011, 03:23 PM

You can totally do it!  Make sure you surround yourself with good support, and plenty of info.  Thanks for updating!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies! I already checked out local LLL meetings but I haven't been yet. I should go. I worry a little bit about being distracting. Is that weird?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

WillsMom, I just ran across this thread and I want to give you big  hug2.gif.  I know that must have been very difficult news to hear and digest and not at what you wanted.  But I can tell that you are really strong and your outlook on the situation is really healthy- you will go into it armed with information and support.  In addition to LLL leaders, I would probably call LC's and find out which ones have experience with cleft lip/palate.  You might also try posting in the breastfeeding complication forum and the special needs forum to see if mothers who have BTDT can offer more advice.  Good luck and know that we are all here for you when you don't feel strong and need to vent.  grouphug.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I checked out those forums and I will definitely be posting there in the future. 

Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Willsmom, I just read this thread and want to say that I admire your strength and apparent calmness in the face of a difficult situation.  You are right, it will be okay, because you are such an excellent mama already.  Sending you some love...

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

User Tag List