The ONE Thread- August chit chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 311 Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

We don't have room for a nursery this time around, but I plan on putting the crib in the corner of our bedroom and making a special corner "theme" for him. It still has to be re-assembled from when we moved. Before I put DD in a toddler bed, she was in her pack and play. Now, to find those damn screws for the crib!

We're going to side-car for co-sleeping, but we've been a little bit pressured to have an actually nursery. My mom insists on buying a new crib for him, even though I already got our side-car crib off Craigslist (for $30!). If I had it my way, I'd put a simple changing table at the end of our bed with some shelves under it for the cloth diapers and put his clothes in a couple cute baskets under the bed and call it good. He doesn't need a 'room' for a while. DH and I would prefer my parents buy us the carseat/stroller combo we've picked out - something we actually need. 

However! The crib my mom wanted to get was from Ikea and they are not selling cribs right now, so I might just get my way. We'll see thumb.gif

#62 of 311 Old 08-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

We're going to side-car for co-sleeping, but we've been a little bit pressured to have an actually nursery. My mom insists on buying a new crib for him, even though I already got our side-car crib off Craigslist (for $30!). If I had it my way, I'd put a simple changing table at the end of our bed with some shelves under it for the cloth diapers and put his clothes in a couple cute baskets under the bed and call it good. He doesn't need a 'room' for a while. DH and I would prefer my parents buy us the carseat/stroller combo we've picked out - something we actually need. 

However! The crib my mom wanted to get was from Ikea and they are not selling cribs right now, so I might just get my way. We'll see thumb.gif

LOL By now, I find it a little funny when parents say the baby NEEDS its own room. No it doesn't. It doesn't need a whole other bed than you, it doesn't even need a changing table. A dresser, possibly, but really, all they need are clothes, food and shelter their first year. That is my honest opinion when people say "for such a small thing, it sure is expensive!" Well, YEAH! If you want to buy top of the line everything so you can show it off in your mommy playgroup. A safe carseat should be the most expensive thing you buy for a baby.

#63 of 311 Old 08-11-2011, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's your house and your life, do it your way!  My MIL asked me 10 times what the theme for our nursery was going to be before she got the hint.  Now she makes our babies clothing and other cute things.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#64 of 311 Old 08-11-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

LOL By now, I find it a little funny when parents say the baby NEEDS its own room. No it doesn't. It doesn't need a whole other bed than you, it doesn't even need a changing table. A dresser, possibly, but really, all they need are clothes, food and shelter their first year. That is my honest opinion when people say "for such a small thing, it sure is expensive!" Well, YEAH! If you want to buy top of the line everything so you can show it off in your mommy playgroup. A safe carseat should be the most expensive thing you buy for a baby.

Oh, gosh I feel the same way. We're very fortunate that our insurance is covered 100% (gotta love Microsoft), so we have no medical bills for this pregnancy and I bought all the cloth diapers used from people on Craigslist, I bought the crib used, I have purchased all the clothes from Goodwill (for .50-$1 per outfit), I will be breastfeeding, and plan to not go crazy with toys and whatever - and avoiding plastic at all costs. I'm with you - the most expensive thing should be the carseat. I wanted to buy a used stroller, but the carseat we like comes with a stroller for $230 and most carseats alone are $150-$200. I really hope I can convince my parents to get us that instead.

And like you said - people who say having a baby is expensive are spending way too much on pointless stuff - or stuff to make themselves less involved as a parent (play pens, swings, gyms, walkers, ect - all of which the Babies R Us registry page says are 'necessities'). Just my opinion... 

#65 of 311 Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

It's your house and your life, do it your way!  My MIL asked me 10 times what the theme for our nursery was going to be before she got the hint.  Now she makes our babies clothing and other cute things.  :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I did bring up to my mom that we'd prefer them to gift us the stroller instead and she whined about the crib, but I think if I keep at it I might have her convinced. Helps a lot the crib she wanted to get isn't being offered at Ikea anytime soon. :evil laugh: muahahah! FIREdevil.gif

#66 of 311 Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 PM

(a bit off-topic) I don't know about anyone else but my MIL has the WORST taste in gifts.  My mother does, too, for that matter.  I'm not too proud to admit that many things have been returned or given to Goodwill.  Heck, when we moved across the country we sold a good portion of "gifts" that my DS had gotten from people.  We live simply and prefer minimal "stuff" so I think they are slowing learning not to ask where that GIANT STUFFED DUCK that they bought for him went off to... *snicker*.  

And speaking of toys- what is it with the obsession with all the plastic lights and sounds and crazy contraptions?!  For instance, my mom is convinced that LeapFrog items will have my son reading before he is three.  I think there is a time and a place for those things (sure, we've been known to give him the ole' iPad in order to get through a peaceful restaurant dinner), but mostly he plays with toys that he can manipulate and use his imagination with.  Seems he's developing just fine, if you ask me!  Who needs all the bells and whistles when he is perfectly content playing with stackable toys, puzzles, or even A CUP WITH A FEW STRAWS.  Maybe playing outside?  Exploring nature?  

Sheesh eyesroll.gif 

#67 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

(a bit off-topic) I don't know about anyone else but my MIL has the WORST taste in gifts.  My mother does, too, for that matter.  I'm not too proud to admit that many things have been returned or given to Goodwill.  Heck, when we moved across the country we sold a good portion of "gifts" that my DS had gotten from people.  We live simply and prefer minimal "stuff" so I think they are slowing learning not to ask where that GIANT STUFFED DUCK that they bought for him went off to... *snicker*.  

And speaking of toys- what is it with the obsession with all the plastic lights and sounds and crazy contraptions?!  For instance, my mom is convinced that LeapFrog items will have my son reading before he is three.  I think there is a time and a place for those things (sure, we've been known to give him the ole' iPad in order to get through a peaceful restaurant dinner), but mostly he plays with toys that he can manipulate and use his imagination with.  Seems he's developing just fine, if you ask me!  Who needs all the bells and whistles when he is perfectly content playing with stackable toys, puzzles, or even A CUP WITH A FEW STRAWS.  Maybe playing outside?  Exploring nature?  

Sheesh eyesroll.gif 

Okay, yeah, seriously! My 22 month old knows how to count to 10 in English AND Spanish and it wasn't from Leapfrog or anything of the sort. I count with her everytime I change her or when I tip her back in her bath. I plan on doing basically the same thing with her ABC's, only using the potty, so she can stay calm and focus on something other than doing something she may not want to do at the time. She doesn't even know she's learning, she just does it and loves the praise she gets when she does it right. We have ZERO "educational toys" in the house (wait! no, that's a lie! We have books that I read to her) and she is one of the smartest kids under 2 I've met. I think the most expensive toy I bought for her was her jungle gym playmat at Walmart for $25.

#68 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 AM

A really close friend lost his wife of 5 years and partner for 10 years before that on Wednesday due to complications of diabetes. She woke up briefly on Tuesday and was starting to get better, took a turn for the worse early Wednesday and passed late in the morning. He loved her more than anything ever in life and I couldn't think of a more beautiful couple that love each other more because of the compassion, empathy, trust and devotion they had for each other. I take a lesson from their marriage to be the same kind of wife to my DH. Please do the same. Marriage is HARD! But sharing your life with someone is fulfilling if you put your best qualities forward. RIP Adell

adell.jpg

#69 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 AM

Luna, I'm glad the crib is out of stock for you, but not for me! The crib I want is at ikea and I can't get it!! It's super affordable, has simple clean lines, and converts into a cute toddler bed. greensad.gif I'm super bummed.

I've never had a nursery for my babies and I really want one this time. I know he will sleep with us, but I just really have this desire for a cute little room. Mostly, I want to decorate it! We are just going to have a crib and dresser/ changing table. Maybe a nice rocker if my parents get it for us. But I have awesome plans for painting and decorating.

I guess I'm the odd mom out this time!!

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#70 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 AM

We have a nursery :-)  My DS1 wanted OUT of our room at 4 months of age.  He's come back in for brief stints but he really loves sleeping in his own space.  Sad for me, since I love co-sleeping and always feel safer when my whole family unit is sleeping in the same room :-(  I am hoping IKEA starts selling cribs again soon, we want the Gulliver.  I've heard they will start again in September- I hope that's enough time for me to get it painted and get the room set up.  I know we won't use it for a long time but my DS will be in there in his big boy bed (they are sharing a room at some point, whenever baby moves out of our room) and I want the room to be setup before baby comes so DS doesn't see it as an intrusion.  I don't know... I guess if it isn't done before DS2 gets here, it won't be the end of the world....

I've got amazing plans for their room too!  I have an inspiration board set up on my computer, maybe I can share it on here.  Wouldn't that be great to share decorating ideas?!  (I'm such a nerd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post

Luna, I'm glad the crib is out of stock for you, but not for me! The crib I want is at ikea and I can't get it!! It's super affordable, has simple clean lines, and converts into a cute toddler bed. greensad.gif I'm super bummed.

I've never had a nursery for my babies and I really want one this time. I know he will sleep with us, but I just really have this desire for a cute little room. Mostly, I want to decorate it! We are just going to have a crib and dresser/ changing table. Maybe a nice rocker if my parents get it for us. But I have awesome plans for painting and decorating.

I guess I'm the odd mom out this time!!

#71 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 AM

ACK it won't let me upload an attachment.  Maybe during naptime I can upload some photos of our fabrics and such.

#72 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 AM

We just bought a new house with a room for each kid, including the baby.  It will be the first of our 3 to have a room when its born, and Im pretty excited to paint and decorate.  She may not sleep in there right away, but she will be older someday...my DD would NOT co-sleep after 8 months, she hated it!  I loved it. So, a crib is one purchase we will definitely make.

Also, I'm all about being minimalistic- but there are a few things I like to have that aren't "needs" but sure do make it easier to pee alone on occasion.  And  I wouldn't consider them things that disengage you as a parent, but probably things that help you raise multiple young children and still have hair (and not have an eye twitch).  I like having a portable crib to take with us places, and a swing for the house.  I'm all about babywearing but sometimes, for sanity, you HAVE to put the baby down.  There is nothing like laying a sleeping baby in the swing so you can shower- alone.

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#73 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

Also, I'm all about being minimalistic- but there are a few things I like to have that aren't "needs" but sure do make it easier to pee alone on occasion.  And  I wouldn't consider them things that disengage you as a parent, but probably things that help you raise multiple young children and still have hair (and not have an eye twitch).  I like having a portable crib to take with us places, and a swing for the house.  I'm all about babywearing but sometimes, for sanity, you HAVE to put the baby down.  There is nothing like laying a sleeping baby in the swing so you can shower- alone.

*I* was just saying I find it a bit humurous, the parents that say they NEED top of the line this or that cuz a parenting magazine says so or because your friend has it. I LOVED having a swing for my daughter, and I must say it was definitely used alot.

#74 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 AM

And I've never been a parent before or anything, so I have no experience, I was just saying I thought it was crazy the amount of things people say one 'needs' for having a baby. winky.gif

And also I heard tell that the cribs at Ikea will be back this fall, also. On their website they do have a few back already, although none of those are available at my local Ikea (Seattle).

And, as much as I'd like to just go the minimalist route and not even have a nursery, like I said before I'm sure we'll do it and I've got this SUPER cute antique dresser I'm going to restore for the nursery and if I don't have a nursery where would I put it?!?! It's been in the garage far too long, I can't wait to get it out!!! love.gif

#75 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 AM

We tend to be minimalist.  For this baby I have a carseat, an moby, sling, and ergo, clothes, and diapers.  We had more stuff for the other two but I didn't use it so I sold it.  I might like a moses basket again though, we'll see once this one gets here.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#76 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Ooo! Ooo! Awesome idea! This store is my artwork inspiration: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KathyPanton  

Sample print that I love:

il_fullxfull.235797542.jpg

I'm going to buy a few of those to put up. The baby's room has a strip of molding around the middle- like a chair rail. I'm planning to paint (this weekend!!) the bottom half grey with silver stripes. I'm going to do the stripes with a high gloss sheen. Then I will paint the top half a pretty blue that reminds me of the ocean. Dp isn't sure about the stripes, but I think it will look really cool.

That's as far as I've gotten. I know I want to do bright bedding and curtains, probably from Ikea. And a simple white crib with some sort of vintage dresser for a changing table. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

I've got amazing plans for their room too!  I have an inspiration board set up on my computer, maybe I can share it on here.  Wouldn't that be great to share decorating ideas?!  (I'm such a nerd)

#77 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 AM

I think a good attitude to have is get the stuff you KNOW you'll use, and then wait and see what the baby really needs.  Some babies need a swing- some don't,  my DS1 HATED the swing, it just sat unused!  But he needed a bouncy seat, so we borrow one.  He liked the vibration.  We bought an arms reach co-sleeper and he hated it!  Wish we would have known that before spend 160 bucks!  It may mean a few trips to the store post-baby, but it's also a nice reason to get out of the house.  Plus baby stores are baby-friendly- nursing rooms, etc.  I always liked going shopping with my son because I knew I would have a restroom as well as a quiet space to nurse.  Much better than the mall :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

We tend to be minimalist.  For this baby I have a carseat, an moby, sling, and ergo, clothes, and diapers.  We had more stuff for the other two but I didn't use it so I sold it.  I might like a moses basket again though, we'll see once this one gets here.

#78 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 AM

That sounds amazing!  Be sure to upload some photos from when it's finished!  I love that artwork, and I so wish we had chair molding.... But we do have horizontal stripes in DS's room.  I'll upload some photos.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post

Ooo! Ooo! Awesome idea! This store is my artwork inspiration: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KathyPanton  

Sample print that I love:

il_fullxfull.235797542.jpg

I'm going to buy a few of those to put up. The baby's room has a strip of molding around the middle- like a chair rail. I'm planning to paint (this weekend!!) the bottom half grey with silver stripes. I'm going to do the stripes with a high gloss sheen. Then I will paint the top half a pretty blue that reminds me of the ocean. Dp isn't sure about the stripes, but I think it will look really cool.

That's as far as I've gotten. I know I want to do bright bedding and curtains, probably from Ikea. And a simple white crib with some sort of vintage dresser for a changing table. 

#79 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Screen shot 2011-07-10 at 8.16.32 PM.pngSo here is our color scheme.  The walls are a light tan (that tan color there is a little brighter and darker than the one on the walls.  The wall color is more like the tan in the fabric below.) and one wall has chunky (about 12" each) horizontal white stripes.  It's the wall that is across from the door, so it kind of sets up a background.  we love it, I wish I had a finished photo of it!  That is our "wall art" wall, and I plan to just cluster a bunch of prints, like vintage bike prints or something.  Not sure yet :)  But I know I also want to get one of these prints for each of the boys.
Screen shot 2011-07-10 at 9.23.20 PM.png

So cool!

Anyway these are the fabrics.  It's the Michael ****** Baby Sea collection.  Love it!  It's designer but it's SO not expensive.  

Screen shot 2011-07-10 at 8.19.20 PM.png

I plan to make a simple crib skirt so we can use the under-crib space as storage, as well as a teething cover for the crib edge.  Those items are not at all necessary but I do like how they pull everything together.  The majority of the fabric will be used for... *drum roll*......

Screen shot 2011-07-10 at 9.02.37 PM.png

This quilt for DS1!  It won't be this exact pattern, as I think this is a bit too involved, but I love the squares and lines.  The gray background is a great addition.  

We are getting this bed for DS1 (from IKEA)

Screen shot 2011-07-10 at 8.21.34 PM.png

And we will be painting the Gulliver crib and a toy chest to match.  I love navy blue furniture!  Especially with the tan walls- I think it will look really nice.  

I'm sure we'll add a few more touches- I plan to make a custom pennant bunting, for instance. I'm really excited! 

#80 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 12:33 PM

jbk21, SOOO CUTE! I love the navy furniture, too! Adorable fabrics! Love it!

#81 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 PM

1. Thats an adorable print.

2. I can absolutely sympathise w/ what seems a majority about the "nursery", DH and I where content to share our room at my parents w/ DD when she gets here.  But my mom "insisted" she have her own room.  which in the long-run may just work out. It will be a place for privacy for us so I can nurse, or DH and I can just spend some time with her together.  ATM it's also being used to house all of the "gifts" we've gotten for her. more or less our own den, or living room area.

3. I was raised by an IT dad.  So I am a product of the computer/video game/tv world... DD will not be.  I've flat out told both DH and I's family any leap frog.. or computer stuff will be returned or donated.  I asked for old style wooden toys, texture, colors... anything that doesn't require batteries.  She'll be exposed enough to TV's, Ipods, computers.. ect w/out intentionally useing them.

4. You'de think i was haveing multiples with how much Stuff we have for DD.  I just try and be grateful to our family for being so supportive and giving.  Even if 1/2 the stuff will end up being donated or unopened.  I also look at it as stuff I can pass-down to my cousins.. or friends who can use it more.  DD has more clothes then I do i think at this point.. and I haven't even had my baby shower yet... Garage Sales and Grandma... 

#82 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 03:57 PM

We have a mini pack n'play (the travel lite crib from Graco). We co-sleep, but I'm setting it up in our room to have available, too. I'll be putting it in the closet, since DH and I can both fit our clothes in our buffet we're repurposing as a dresser or in the closet in the hall where DH keeps his clothes (he has WAY more than I do, lol). 

So the inside of the closet will be painted a different color than the rest of the bedroom (which will be a blue-ish grey), and my slings will be on hooks on the walls (one Ergo, another SSC, a maya, a didy, and my pod if I keep it). The big kids and I are using the little plastic beads that you make into shapes and then iron so they're a solid piece to make an owl mobile (saw it on pinterest). The top shelf of the closet will hold baskets that will have their clothes in it, and then a diaper organizer will hang on the front of the pack 'n'play. We'll be replacing the closet door with a curtain. This is the first time any of my kids will have a nursery to speak of. We had a crib for DD1, but were so poor the room was left as was (it was my childhood bedroom, so already pink/purple walls anyway).

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#83 of 311 Old 08-12-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

OMG our stuff arrives tomorrow morning at 8am.  I can't even believe it's true.  Now I'm feeling anxious about its arrival and unpacking.  Ugh.  I can't wait for this all to be O.V.E.R.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#84 of 311 Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Jaimee, I hope your stuff arrived this morning!

#85 of 311 Old 08-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Awesome Jaimee!  Hopefully everything arrives as it should :)  Its about time!

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#86 of 311 Old 08-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

OMG our stuff arrives tomorrow morning at 8am.  I can't even believe it's true.  Now I'm feeling anxious about its arrival and unpacking.  Ugh.  I can't wait for this all to be O.V.E.R.

Yea!!!! Hope it went well!

#87 of 311 Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Well, it came!  What a hectic day of unpacking.  I wish my dad could stay another day; we could really  use the help.  Sigh...  But we did get a ton done today.  Now my feet are killing  me! 

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#88 of 311 Old 08-13-2011, 07:33 PM

Spent all day at a family reunion. I even swam a little. BTW, don't try hoisting yourself into a paddleboat from the water when hugely pregnant, lol! it doesn't work! And tomorrow we drive 2.5 hrs TO the state fair, will be walking all day, and driving 2.5 hrs home. *dies* 

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#89 of 311 Old 08-13-2011, 08:42 PM

Jbk21, I love all your nursery plans! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

We went to Home Depot today and got all the supplies and one of the paint colors for Jasper's room. Hopefully we'll start tomorrow.

#90 of 311 Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 PM

OMG....just need to vent. We were at the park after dinner, and DH looked up and noticed my car being towed! They have this stupid rule that you have to have a sticker on your car to prove you live in our town to park at the parks. (Which I think is stupid and really, kind of snobby. Only certain people can use the city parks? Come on.) Long story short, we've lived here a year and I haven't bothered to get one. When things are slow, tow trucks cruise the park looking for people to tow, and tonight it was us. Crying children and a hysterical pregnant woman got us nowhere. We would've had to walk 2 miles home with the kids! I ended up having the cash on me, thank goodness. There goes my new shoes though. :( And my 4 yo is pretty freaked out, and won't stop talking about how we almost lost our car. Which is stressing DH out even more.

And as soon as the guy dropped my truck.....he pulled right up to someone else, who came running over to beg mercy. I get that the economy is slow, but have a heart, dude.

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page