The ONE Thread- August chit chat - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 311 Old 08-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

Your not alone!  I look like a turtle flipped onto its back when Im trying to get out of bed.  I have to do this half roll thing to slowly work up momentum.  Haha. 

BAHAHAHAHAbiglaugh.gifI'm SOOOO sorry! The imagery was too much.

#122 of 311 Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM

Wanna see what happens when you do dishes right after changing a toddler's diaper and leave the baby powder open?...............

027.jpg023.jpg024.jpg

#123 of 311 Old 08-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bahahaha.  Yeah, that's happened at my house too...

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#124 of 311 Old 08-19-2011, 06:07 PM

#125 of 311 Old 08-19-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam_bat_avraham View Post

She's very cute, although in that last picture with the caked-on white makeup and the extended smile (lipstick? food?) she looks a little like The Joker, lol!

My friend's son has done this many times, twice with giant bags of cinnamon. Not a cheap thing to waste!

BAHAHAHA That's what my DH said! He loved that movie (The Dark Knight) and he just had to point it out.

#126 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Why is it that people respond so negatively to home births??? My cousin is due any day now and she mentions on Facebook that her dr is inducing her on her due date. I asked why so early, and she said because he'll be out of town for four days after her due date and wanted to get her baby out before he left.... I'm sorry but WHAT?! Is that not the epitome of the US maternity system?? Please, yes - let's do whatever is most convenient for the doctor!

THEN, out of the blue (because I don't know this person) one of her friends says, "Oh, well you could just do a water birth at home with a midwife and no drugs.... HAHAHAHAH! Just kidding!" And they both had a chuckle over it. Well, of course I couldn't leave well enough alone and so I say, "Well, I'm planning a water birth at home with a midwife and no drugs... I'm quite excited about it! :) " I added a smiley at the end to keep it light, even though I was fuming. 

Then her friend comes back and says, "Oh, well I've had three kids and let me tell you - you're going to be begging for the drugs. Only a strong woman can do it without." REALLY?! I'm sorry you're not strong enough to do something so natural as birth on your own Mrs. Three-Kids-Know-It-All, but I AM! irked.gif

THEN, my cousin chimes back in with "I'm of the belief that medical intervention was created for a reason and I plan to take full advantage of it. A lot of women do PLAN to go natural, but 90% of them end up taking the drugs. " WHAT?! Not sure where she got her 'statistics'. She continues, "I don't think it makes anyone any stronger than anyone else, okay?" Like *I* was the one who said I'd be stronger to do a home birth? 

I'm in the middle of reading PUSHED (by Jennifer Block) so I'm right in the thick of learning lots about how messed up the US maternity care system is and I just want to lay in to these girls, but I'm refraining.... 

SORRY FOR THE RANT!! shy.gif

#127 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM

That's messed up.  And I've birthed twice now with no drugs and I'm a huge wimp when it comes to pain so it totally doesn't even work that way.  Needles scare me more then a baby does!  I tend to keep fairly quiet on facebook about my birth plans, although I've certainly gotten my head bit off about breastfeeding uncovered.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#128 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Luna, that's pretty typical... probably because you are a first time mom. Third time mom there needs to feel like the only reason you think you can do it is because you haven't tried. I think some people see natural birthers as thinking they are better than others. Honestly, I kept/ keep my plans to myself unless specifically asked. It would be better if people could just be happy with their own choices. I don't judge any woman for having drugs. Heck, if I would have been at the hospital with #2, I probably would have had drugs. And if this one is as tough as that one, well... I haven't ruled anything out. 

A lot of people get defensive immediately with the drug/ drug-free birth issue. I just try to always approach it as this is what is right for me, this is what is right for you. I also tend to keep it light, even joking about how "crazy" I am. 

Sorry the exchange upset you! 

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#129 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

That's messed up.  And I've birthed twice now with no drugs and I'm a huge wimp when it comes to pain so it totally doesn't even work that way.  Needles scare me more then a baby does!  I tend to keep fairly quiet on facebook about my birth plans, although I've certainly gotten my head bit off about breastfeeding uncovered.

Thanks for the support love.gif

I'm pretty terrified of needles, too - I watched an epidural being performed on The Business of Being Born and about crawled out of my skin. And getting so much blood work done since being pregnant has been a chore - not only am I afraid of needles, I've got teensy veins, of course. 

That's pretty ridiculous that you'd get your head bitten off over breastfeeding! It's comments like that and the ones I've received that just boggle me. Birth and breastfeeding are seriously the most natural things ever and it seems like women are moving so far away from that. I know every situation is different and whatnot (I was born via ceasar due to serious complications and was bottle fed because I was a premie and my mom didn't even get to see me until I was a week old) but the 'un-natural way' of birthing and feeding a baby seem to be becoming the norm. confused.gif

#130 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 07:16 PM

Oh, LunaLady, I hear ya. dizzy.gif This got me all flustered too!  Well, I think you did the good thing by stating your own home birth intention and your excitement about it (and the smiley face!).  I truly believe that their strong feelings on the subject stemmed from somebody on our end of the spectrum telling them they were doing something wrong.  If you're told that you have done something bad that could've caused injury to either you or your baby, you're going to get defensive to the point that the "other side" is just plain crazy.  Which is so unfortunate, because we're all women going through this amazing journey - we should be friends not enemies!  So that's why I applaud you for refraining.  Laying in on them when they're so invested in their way is only going to strengthen their resolve.  Of course, now your resolve to birth at home is even stronger, right?  It's like politics, unfortunately.  irked.gif

While out to breakfast, I overheard a pregnant woman chatting with her SIL about how she wanted to induce if her baby wasn't born on his due date and went on to criticize a friend's plan to do things naturally.  You could tell by the sound of her voice that she was peeved that her friend was talking down to her about the difference in their plans.  One being: how many visitors should be present at the birth.  I guess the friend insisted that too many visitors could slow down the labor (as we know from reading Ina May's work, this can certainly be true).  But this lady was confident that what would make her the most comfortable would be to have several family members with her in the hospital.  Anyway, my point is that the way we discuss our choices, our knowledge, the statistics, etc. should be phrased in such a way that other women don't feel like we feel superior to them.  I'm only speculating, but I truly think that if the friend had phrased things differently, in a less condescending way maybe, that this lady wouldn't feel the need to berate her natural birth plans to others.  She might have even given her decisions a second thought. You know?  Again, it works both ways. We're now even more against painkillers after reading your cousin's friend's post because she made us feel like ignorant children. nut.gif

Our research on modern childbirth techniques, homebirth, and the risks and benefits of both is invaluable and should be shared with other mothers.  I hope there's a constructive way for you to share your knowledge with your cousin, and find out where she got hers.  If there isn't a way, just breathe, let it go, remember why you are doing things your way.  I'm not at all attacking you for ranting! Because heaven knows we need to sometimes!  I just want to applaud you again for staying strong and not making this Grand Canyon any deeper.  clap.gif

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

#131 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yup, this is why nearly all of my friends have similar parenting beliefs as me.  It's too upsetting to me to see this sort of stuff, I get all worked up about it.  I have had 2 successful homebirths and nearly all of my good friends have birthed at home as well.  I have faith that you can do it!  It never even occurred to me to ask for drugs, mostly because it wasn't an option.  You'll do fine.  :)

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that 90% of women in the US do get an epidural.  I'm not sure how many planned to go natural though?  I huge amount of hospital births are supplemented with pitocin, which I've heard will drive a woman to get pain relief asap!  My brother is a nurse in a hospital in CA and he said they give EVERY woman in labor pitocin..  It's sad.  :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

Why is it that people respond so negatively to home births??? My cousin is due any day now and she mentions on Facebook that her dr is inducing her on her due date. I asked why so early, and she said because he'll be out of town for four days after her due date and wanted to get her baby out before he left.... I'm sorry but WHAT?! Is that not the epitome of the US maternity system?? Please, yes - let's do whatever is most convenient for the doctor!

THEN, out of the blue (because I don't know this person) one of her friends says, "Oh, well you could just do a water birth at home with a midwife and no drugs.... HAHAHAHAH! Just kidding!" And they both had a chuckle over it. Well, of course I couldn't leave well enough alone and so I say, "Well, I'm planning a water birth at home with a midwife and no drugs... I'm quite excited about it! :) " I added a smiley at the end to keep it light, even though I was fuming. 

Then her friend comes back and says, "Oh, well I've had three kids and let me tell you - you're going to be begging for the drugs. Only a strong woman can do it without." REALLY?! I'm sorry you're not strong enough to do something so natural as birth on your own Mrs. Three-Kids-Know-It-All, but I AM! irked.gif

THEN, my cousin chimes back in with "I'm of the belief that medical intervention was created for a reason and I plan to take full advantage of it. A lot of women do PLAN to go natural, but 90% of them end up taking the drugs. " WHAT?! Not sure where she got her 'statistics'. She continues, "I don't think it makes anyone any stronger than anyone else, okay?" Like *I* was the one who said I'd be stronger to do a home birth? 

I'm in the middle of reading PUSHED (by Jennifer Block) so I'm right in the thick of learning lots about how messed up the US maternity care system is and I just want to lay in to these girls, but I'm refraining.... 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#132 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

Yup, this is why nearly all of my friends have similar parenting beliefs as me.  It's too upsetting to me to see this sort of stuff, I get all worked up about it.  I have had 2 successful homebirths and nearly all of my good friends have birthed at home as well.  I have faith that you can do it!  It never even occurred to me to ask for drugs, mostly because it wasn't an option.  You'll do fine.  :)

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that 90% of women in the US do get an epidural.  I'm not sure how many planned to go natural though?  I huge amount of hospital births are supplemented with pitocin, which I've heard will drive a woman to get pain relief asap!  My brother is a nurse in a hospital in CA and he said they give EVERY woman in labor pitocin..  It's sad.  :(

Oh, I wish I had some people around me that supported my decision. My mom thought I was nuts for a while. My really only friend is supportive, but she keeps saying she'd never be able to do a home birth. So, she obviously doesn't share my views. Maybe I should look into some MeetUp groups or something. It can be really discouraging to have so many people call you crazy for wanting to do something so natural.

#133 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 PM

Pitocin is EVIL.  I have birthed both ways and I can honestly say pitocin leaves you screaming for an epidural, regardless of how you pictured your birth to be. 

I am so not passionate about this subject at ALL, because I feel like as long as a woman has education of the cascade of interventions and if she honestly understands what she is asking for in asking for an epidural- then she should be able to get one without judgment.  

I was barely 18 when I had my son, and I had been in labor on and off for 6 weeks.  My poor young body was exhausted, I was mentally drained.  That epidural SAVED me, and it made me feel like I actually could do it.  I did not progress past 4 (which I had been for 4 weeks) without it, but as soon as I got the epidural I was 10...and sound asleep.  It was glorious.  It was amazing.  And I would absolutely never judge another woman for wanting one.

I also had a natural birth, which was awesome.  Ive seen my SIL birth 2 children in the water with no assitence at all.  It CAN be done! 

I just don't think there is a right or wrong way to birth.

#134 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracol8 View Post

Oh, LunaLady, I hear ya. dizzy.gif This got me all flustered too!  Well, I think you did the good thing by stating your own home birth intention and your excitement about it (and the smiley face!).  I truly believe that their strong feelings on the subject stemmed from somebody on our end of the spectrum telling them they were doing something wrong.  If you're told that you have done something bad that could've caused injury to either you or your baby, you're going to get defensive to the point that the "other side" is just plain crazy.  Which is so unfortunate, because we're all women going through this amazing journey - we should be friends not enemies!  So that's why I applaud you for refraining.  Laying in on them when they're so invested in their way is only going to strengthen their resolve.  Of course, now your resolve to birth at home is even stronger, right?  It's like politics, unfortunately.  irked.gif

While out to breakfast, I overheard a pregnant woman chatting with her SIL about how she wanted to induce if her baby wasn't born on his due date and went on to criticize a friend's plan to do things naturally.  You could tell by the sound of her voice that she was peeved that her friend was talking down to her about the difference in their plans.  One being: how many visitors should be present at the birth.  I guess the friend insisted that too many visitors could slow down the labor (as we know from reading Ina May's work, this can certainly be true).  But this lady was confident that what would make her the most comfortable would be to have several family members with her in the hospital.  Anyway, my point is that the way we discuss our choices, our knowledge, the statistics, etc. should be phrased in such a way that other women don't feel like we feel superior to them.  I'm only speculating, but I truly think that if the friend had phrased things differently, in a less condescending way maybe, that this lady wouldn't feel the need to berate her natural birth plans to others.  She might have even given her decisions a second thought. You know?  Again, it works both ways. We're now even more against painkillers after reading your cousin's friend's post because she made us feel like ignorant children. nut.gif

Our research on modern childbirth techniques, homebirth, and the risks and benefits of both is invaluable and should be shared with other mothers.  I hope there's a constructive way for you to share your knowledge with your cousin, and find out where she got hers.  If there isn't a way, just breathe, let it go, remember why you are doing things your way.  I'm not at all attacking you for ranting! Because heaven knows we need to sometimes!  I just want to applaud you again for staying strong and not making this Grand Canyon any deeper.  clap.gif

I had a whole reply typed out to you when my browser closed. Arg!

But what I basically said was - you're right about trying to fight my side of the whole debate. I haven't said a single thing after my simple excitement over a home birth and the smiley face. Because you're right - they will just think I'm crazier than they already do and my arguing will just keep them looking up (or coming up with) 'statistics' on home birth casualties or whatever. Plus, this is my cousin's fourth child, so she seems to think she's got it down pat. I'll let you know, though, that she's two years younger than me (she'll be 23 in December) and each of her children is from a different partner. Not that that's an issue - but she keeps having children with men she wants to 'trap', but I guess her plan isn't working? Her mom married her off at 16 because she was tired of parenting. My cousin was pregnant within a few months. Sad story :( Her third baby she put up for adoption because the FOB left as soon as he found out she was pregnant.

ANYWAY! Thanks for the support, girls. It can get exhausting having to defend my every decision (home birth, cloth diapering, no circ, no vax, homeschooling, traditional diet, no chemical household, etc...). Phew!

Love you girls!!joy.gif

#135 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I agree, if a women is completely educated on her decision then to each their own.  The problem is that women are NOT educated about it.  Most don't have any idea about how the process goes or what the effects or complications are.  I read a statistic a few weeks ago that said that women know LESS than ever about birth these days.  Mostly because many are opting out of birthing classes, "because the information is available online".  The problem is that it's easy to not read info if you don't know you're supposed to read it!

I've known several women recently that thought they were informed, but really have zero idea about anything.   One didn't know that inverted nipples might cause breastfeeding issues and that she might want a plan in advance (she only tried breastfeeding once and then gave up at the suggestion of the hospital nurses). 

Information is important and key.  I think that all women should be fully informed and then should be able to make their own choices.

Quote:

I am so not passionate about this subject at ALL, because I feel like as long as a woman has education of the cascade of interventions and if she honestly understands what she is asking for in asking for an epidural- then she should be able to get one without judgment. 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#136 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 PM

I agree, I don't think women even know the dangers of some of the things that happen during a 'routine hospital birth'. Reading PUSHED has really opened my eyes to that! Just a few years ago I knew nothing about laboring and childbirth and was all for just going the route of fully medicated and numb. But, at least in America, I think there's so much priming women for that reaction. Hollywood makes labor and delivery look like absolute hell - so why wouldn't women want to avoid it? And when the doctor says this drug and that drug and this procedure and that procedure are safe and fine; why wouldn't a women believe her doctor? We're trained to believe them. So not only is it hard to break from the mould, but it's hard to get acceptance when you do. 

Oh, and another thing I said in my reply that got deleted earlier is that I realize every situation is different. I was born 8 weeks early because my mother had PE - if not for medical intervention we both would have died. And because I was so early she didn't even get to see me until three days later and couldn't hold me until I was 8 days old. Needless to say, she didn't get the opportunity to breastfeed, so I was exclusively formula fed (in the 1980's). So I have the respect for medical intervention - when it's necessary.

#137 of 311 Old 08-23-2011, 09:02 PM

I always wonder if women who laugh at other women who choose to go drug free realize that we aren't totally pain-relief free.  The worst parts of labor for me were with my first daughter, the car ride to the hospital, riding the wheel chair up to Labor and Delivery, and then being hooked up to an external monitor for maybe 30 minutes before my midwife got there.  When I was up and moving, or leaning against a bed or ball, or in the tub it was manageable, laying flat on my back?  Yeah, not so much.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#138 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Do you know what I'm planning on doing for people like this? I'm going to videotape my labor, and SHOW them how wrong they are. Oh yes, you are in pain, but you can show them that you ARE a strong woman by not being fooled that it's the wrong choice for you. Just reading that had me fumed and I think I would have blown up at them if the stuff were on my status and not another person's. lol

#139 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

I always wonder if women who laugh at other women who choose to go drug free realize that we aren't totally pain-relief free.  The worst parts of labor for me were with my first daughter, the car ride to the hospital, riding the wheel chair up to Labor and Delivery, and then being hooked up to an external monitor for maybe 30 minutes before my midwife got there.  When I was up and moving, or leaning against a bed or ball, or in the tub it was manageable, laying flat on my back?  Yeah, not so much.

The worst parts of labor for me were being stuck to a bed with a blood pressure cuff, IV, 2 monitors, and a nurse at my bed saying I had to keep still so that she didn't have to keep moving the monitors. SERIOUSLY? You want me to hold still during contractions? I'm sure I would have gotten through my first labor fine if I could have been moving around. Then with my 2nd, the pitocin they secretly put me on "to speed things up" made my contractions unbearable. Epidural, please? I really could have gone natural 3 times instead of one(this baby) if not for birthing at hospital.

#140 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

I agree, if a women is completely educated on her decision then to each their own.  The problem is that women are NOT educated about it.  Most don't have any idea about how the process goes or what the effects or complications are.  I read a statistic a few weeks ago that said that women know LESS than ever about birth these days.  Mostly because many are opting out of birthing classes, "because the information is available online".  The problem is that it's easy to not read info if you don't know you're supposed to read it!

I've known several women recently that thought they were informed, but really have zero idea about anything.   One didn't know that inverted nipples might cause breastfeeding issues and that she might want a plan in advance (she only tried breastfeeding once and then gave up at the suggestion of the hospital nurses). 

Information is important and key.  I think that all women should be fully informed and then should be able to make their own choices.

A lot in the last few years I have come across women I have offered to find classes for, teach, inform, even just give books to...but I found that they actually don't WANT to know.  That is a choice also- being offered education, and turning it down.  I always wonder why and suspect it has to do with fear or convenience. 

#141 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:

A lot in the last few years I have come across women I have offered to find classes for, teach, inform, even just give books to...but I found that they actually don't WANT to know.  That is a choice also- being offered education, and turning it down.  I always wonder why and suspect it has to do with fear or convenience. 

Convenience. For instance, inducing because you're trying to plan around a schedule.

#142 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

Convenience. For instance, inducing because you're trying to plan around a schedule.

Exactly.  But I guess what Im getting at is...sometimes making a choice to be ignorant is the same as making a choice to be educated.  A lot of women who don't know the risks and listen to doctors blindly choose intervention, but it IS an informed choice- because they had the chance to learn, and turned it down because they did not want to know.  I don't consider that a fault of the American medical system, but a choice of some women. 

#143 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Exactly.  But I guess what Im getting at is...sometimes making a choice to be ignorant is the same as making a choice to be educated.  A lot of women who don't know the risks and listen to doctors blindly choose intervention, but it IS an informed choice- because they had the chance to learn, and turned it down because they did not want to know.  I don't consider that a fault of the American medical system, but a choice of some women. 

This isn't exactly true. I didn't have the options available to me to learn about natural childbirth when I was 16, getting ready to have my son. I hadn't really heard much about homebirth or trying to have doctors and nurses be as hands off as possible. I just thought that's how it was supposed to be. I'm glad I know better now.

#144 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 11:56 AM

I agree- that is why I was careful to use the words "sometimes" and "a lot of women". 

#145 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I agree- that is why I was careful to use the words "sometimes" and "a lot of women". 

Ah! Good point! My brain chose to overlook that part. lol

#146 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I get so frustrated and angry when I debate this topic with anti-natural birthers.  uhoh3.gif  But I also can't ever keep my mouth shut!  lol.gif  I was asked to give a talk to a college class about homebirth, midwives, and my own birth experiences.  I gathered a bunch of statistics/information:

Top Five reasons for a homebirth: safety, avoidance of unnecessary medical interventions common in hospital births, previous negative hospital experiences, more control, and a comfortable and familiar environment.

Out of hospital births in US (birth center or homebirth): 1%

Of those births, about 27% in birth centers and 66% at home

Overall homebirth rate: 0.66%

Unassisted birth rate: 0.17% (estimated)

Homebirth rates in other countries: (Guardian)

UK: 2.7%

Germany: 2%

France: just over 1%

Canada: 1%

New Zealand: 6.2%

Wales: 3.8%

Netherlands: 33%

Denmark: 1-2%

Sweden: 1%

Scotland: 1.5%

Ireland: 0.4%

2005 Homebirth Study Stats:

Transfer rate: 12%

Epidural: 4.7%

Caesarean section: 3.7%

Episiotomy: 2.1%

Forceps: 1.0%

Vacuum extraction: 0.6%

Neonatal mortality: 0.17%

Farm Statistics:

Transfer: 4.9%

Cesareans: 1.4%

Neonatal mortality: 0.39%

US Hospital Statistics:

Cesareans: 32.9% up 60% since 1996 (2009), MD is above average at 33.5%

Epidural: 59.9% (2006)

Vacuum: 3.2% (2008)

Forceps: 0.7% (2008)

Induction: 23.1% (2008)

Augmentation of labor: 19.6% (2006)

IV Drip: 86%

EFM: 93%

Infant mortality: .675% (2008)

WHO recommendation: c-section rates should be between 5-10%

Complications:

Prolapsed Cord: less than 1%

Shoulder Dystocia: less than 1%

Postpartum Hemorrhage: less than 3%

Infant resuscitation: 10% (but 80% of those are preterm babies)

Breech presentation: 3.7%

Preterm birth: 12.2% (2009)

USA Midwife attended births: 8% (2009)

Of those, 91.7% in hospitals

93.9% were CNM’s 

Legal issues: it is legal in all 50 states to have a homebirth.  It is legal in all 50 states to hire a CNM, but most CNM’s only practice in birth centers or hospitals.  It is legal in 27 states to hire a direct-entry midwife or CPM, but in the other 13 states they can be prosecuted, fined, and jailed for attending homebirths. 

Maternal Mortality:

US: 28th out of 43 developed countries

1.3% of live births (2006) this figure has doubled over the last 20 years and is considered by the CDC to be under reported and in fact much higher.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#147 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Great info!! Thanks for that. It is really frustrating to try and have a conversation with someone who obviously hasn't done research and still claims homebirths are dangerous and archaic.

It's so funny - I haven't posted a single thing since my 'having a homebrith :)' comment on my cousin's Facebook, but her and her friends keep going on and on and on and ON over the debate of how you're not a bad person to choose a hospital and drugs. I'm thinking, "WOW - I didn't even say anything! I just said I was having a homebirth and excited about it!" and they all jump right in to defend their highly medicated hospital births. Obviously they need reassuring.... 

#148 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Great info!! Thanks for that. It is really frustrating to try and have a conversation with someone who obviously hasn't done research and still claims homebirths are dangerous and archaic.

It's so funny - I haven't posted a single thing since my 'having a homebrith :)' comment on my cousin's Facebook, but her and her friends keep going on and on and on and ON over the debate of how you're not a bad person to choose a hospital and drugs. I'm thinking, "WOW - I didn't even say anything! I just said I was having a homebirth and excited about it!" and they all jump right in to defend their highly medicated hospital births. Obviously they need reassuring.... 

I just never understand that! Why do people get so defensive?? I guess some people will criticize others, but I like to think most don't. Plus, women who have pain meds during labor are in the majority. So why do they feel so put out about our little minority? 

It's like when I tell people I'm vegetarian. I'm only saying it out of necessity... you know, like, "I can't eat that, sorry!" But so many people get defensive right away. I  think my favorite comments of all time are, "Well, God gave us meat" and "You'll look better when you start eating meat." 

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#149 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 05:49 PM

I got my Blue Cohosh today! I ordered it like a week ago, and it came today! One step closer to being prepared for this little one to come. biggrinbounce.gif

#150 of 311 Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I used black cohosh with my first and a labor tinctured that included both blue and black with my second.  They both caused contractions, but didn't result in a baby until about a week later.  Becky do you plan to use it at full term or only if you go late?

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page