Paranoid and Clumsy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So last night our house was SO hot and I went into our spare room to open a window. Of course I didn't turn on the light (apparently I have lost my common sense as well) and bumped my side into a tall pile of rubbermaid containers. Well of course I also bumped just the tiniest side of my belly and I lost it!! I woke up my husband convinced that I did something to hurt the baby. After much rationalizing that it would likely take a lot of force to do any harm, I went back to sleep, but still woke up a little suspicious of the dull throb on my thigh and side....anyone else have stories of bumps and clumsiness?! I am not having any signs of any danger so why am I freaking out so much?!

belly.gifTeresa, wife of Chris, mom to be 11/11/2011.2ndtri.gif neg.gifFound out 03/20/11 and it was the best moment in our lives!  Always in our hearts, 01/01/2010angel.gif (8 weeks)rainbow1284.gif

dust.gifCounting down!!!***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif**baby.gif

#2 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 AM

I was at a wedding over the weekend, and my husband was pointing to my stomach right as somebody bumped into his back- and his finger jammed right into my stomach, right at the babys head, hard enough that I had a welt.  I worried for a bit, but...realistically, I know that if during my first pregnancy my 75 pound dog could jump on my belly and my son is fine, this baby is going to be fine too. 

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#3 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 AM

my ten pound dog jumped right on my belly when I was laying down.  Freaked me out, but I'm sure baby is fine.  They are in a very watery, squishy environment so there is plenty of room for them to move around- if you push on one side of your belly, you just push the baby to the other side.  You know?  My MW said it would take a fall down the stairs, a car accident, or someone literally punching me in the stomach to harm the baby.

#4 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 AM

You're probably so freaked out because it's your first and you've had a loss before. When I was pregnant with my first, I didn't worry so much, I just went with the flow. But my 2nd was different because I'd had a loss 8 weeks before conceiving my daughter. I worried about every bump and bruise, even tripped on the stairs while carrying a basket of laundry and had a bruise on my lower abdomen from it at 36 weeks. Everything turned out to be fine. No bleeding inside, no signs of distress from my daughter, just lots more Braxton Hicks contractions. Don't sweat the small stuff. There's still lots of cushion from the amniotic fluid and your tissue in your stomach that your baby is well protected. Even your uterus is a good protector to harm, because it's a muscle itself. Take it easy, mama!

#5 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Picture a water balloon inside of a bigger water balloon. Now imagine trying to do harm to the inner water balloon without popping the outer one! Its pretty hard to hurt the baby :)

jbk21 likes this.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#6 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I get kicked in the stomach pretty much on a daily basis by my toddler.  So did my second.  No worries for the baby, but hugs for the mama!   

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#7 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 01:14 PM

I'm in the same boat as Jaimee, getting kicked by a toddler in the belly on a daily basis.  I have kind of worried about it at times, and the water balloon image helps me.  Baby really is protected in there!  I don't know if it helps, but I also try to let go of worries as much as possible because I know that stress and worry aren't that great for baby or mama.  Still trying to get the toddler to be gentle with the baby belly...   Hugs to all you mamas, let us all be gentle with ourselves (physically and emotionally).

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

#8 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the support and stories! You have all put my mind at ease....I am really working on letting go of the small stuff and it seems to be a work in progress!blush.gif

belly.gifTeresa, wife of Chris, mom to be 11/11/2011.2ndtri.gif neg.gifFound out 03/20/11 and it was the best moment in our lives!  Always in our hearts, 01/01/2010angel.gif (8 weeks)rainbow1284.gif

dust.gifCounting down!!!***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif**baby.gif

#9 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 PM

Your a completely normal first-time mom thumb.gif   

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page