Antenatal Depression/Mood Swings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering if anyone has found any natural way of relieving depression, mood swings, etc during pregnancy. They are worse this time around than before, and while after birth I rely a lot of my own placenta to help with mood (love it!), before pregnancy I need ideas. I've heard of Rescue Remedy- does anyone use this? Does it work for anxiety only or for depression too? Thanks!

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't use rescue remedy, but I know that exercise, even just yoga helps my mood.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

I don't use rescue remedy, but I know that exercise, even just yoga helps my mood.

Indeed. I exercise very regularly- it's a must! But something beyond that, eating well, and getting sleep.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 PM

I haven't been doing too great as far as mood because I haven't been getting a good night of sleep. My grandma always told me an acronym of needs that should be met to keep a person happy and less irritable that's helped me. HALT: Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. Are you meeting all of these needs? Loneliness is what gets me most, as well as being tired. If all these needs are met and you're still not feeling up to par moodwise, you might try some sort of natural supplement. :)

Old 08-05-2011, 07:43 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Ugh... I'm not feeling particularly great these days either.  This move has kicked my a** and I am not thrilled to be living in someone else's house- in their stuff (that isn't childproofed), in their dirt, attempting to cook good meals in a cramped kitchen with limited supplies, dealing with dd who is sick, trying to get comfortable in their beds with the kids especially when our new house is just down the street waiting for us- empty.  Our stuff is delayed another freaking day so we have even longer to wait and my father is flying in on Monday and we'll have to put him up in a hotel b/c we have no bed for him to sleep in.  This just sucks.  And now I'm in a place I don't know, have no friends here, and my dh will be starting work in about 10 days at which point I'll have to fend for myself- figuring things out.  No, I'm not thrilled at all.

I've just been trying to hold it together, one step at a time.  I give myself lots of breaks, allow myself my favorite snacks, and attempt to do something fun each day with the kids that doesn't wear me out as well.  I don't have a choice about sleep as my ds dictates how much of that I get, but I've been making sure to deliberately take the time to sit down and put my feet up several times a day.  I've had to say no to dd a few times when she's asked for play, but I simply have to take time-outs for myself.  Anyway, I don't know much about pregnancy safe supplements, but I imagine that Rescue Remedy and/or Calms Forte are worth a short as would be some homeopathic remedies.  I don't have my copy of Wise Woman Herbal to reference b/c I don't have my *#%&! stuff.  But maybe someone else will chime in?

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 08-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Good question. I know when I did yoga I did feel better like I had more energy.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Being hungry definitely makes me crazier too. But the biggest thing I've found to help me (and I've been BAD) is strangely just talking about it. The more I talk about my feelings with hubby, mom or friends the more in control I feel. I have busted out the Rescue Remedy a couple of times when I couldn't get in control but it's really only good short term. Also, I'm practicing some relaxation techniques from the Hypnobirthing book I'm reading and I find plenty of opportunities to employ those. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2011, 01:15 PM

KaliShanti--I have been using Sepia since before I was pregnant, and have found a significant difference in my moods while using it.  It is a homeopathic remedy kept in those little blue vials, or a naturopath may offer you the 1M dosage (you need a prescription for that dose).  I try to take it every day, even if I am feeling fine, because then I get the most consistent results.  It is for mood swings and the "angry housewife" feelings ;)  I have been really happy with it.  Good luck!

Editing to say that I agree that diet/exercise are great for regulating moods and energy levels as well, but I also know the feeling of not being able to find the motivation because you are already depressed and sluggish.  I find that having the Sepia helps me get to a place where I feel good enough to get on top of the other things that help make me feel good!

Also, Rescue Remedy, as far as I've seen, is mostly for anxieties--therefore will bring you down more, unless your depression is coming from an anxious place.  Perhaps it would be helpful to also have a sounding board, whether a friend, the message boards, or naturopath/counselor, etc. to help you discern your feelings to figure out the best course of action.

User Tag List