So I've Been Up Since 2:30AM....Midpregnancy insomnia anybody? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 88 Old 09-04-2011, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This baby has been having parties in my tummy in the wee morning hours, keeping me awake :)  funny now, but not so much when I was trying to sleep!

luxlove.gif

http://novelstudies.org - My hubby's website for affordable novel-studies for kids.

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

#62 of 88 Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 AM

I eat cheese and crackers or fruit with peanut butter, or a pb&j sandwich right before bed.

If you eat meat you could eat some turkey on wheat bread.  Something with protein is important.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

The past few nights I've been having a different kind of sleeping problem. I wake up at 3am and have to eat something or I can't fall back asleep! Gah! I've never been like that. The baby must be HUNGRY! lol. My go-to snack is now a piece of fruit with peanut butter. It seems to do the trick. I'm out like a light within 10 minutes. I probably need to start eating something right before bedtime so I'll stop waking up in the middle of the night.... I don't like to do that, though, because eating makes me thirsty, and I intentionally cut down on drinking water before bedtime lately so I could sleep BETTER. Liquids will make me toss and turn in my sleep until I get up to pee. Grrrrr.

Does anyone have a really good snack suggestion for right before bedtime?

#63 of 88 Old 09-04-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

I eat cheese and crackers or fruit with peanut butter, or a pb&j sandwich right before bed.

If you eat meat you could eat some turkey on wheat bread.  Something with protein is important.  

If you do eat any meats right before bed, make sure it's shredded and not deli. With alot of deli meats, one serving has half of your daily recommended sodium intake and that WILL make you thirsty. Just saying. :)

#64 of 88 Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Great point!  I haven't eaten meat in over 4 years so I hadn't even thought of that :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

If you do eat any meats right before bed, make sure it's shredded and not deli. With alot of deli meats, one serving has half of your daily recommended sodium intake and that WILL make you thirsty. Just saying. :)

#65 of 88 Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 AM

*prepare for vent*

DH should know better than to mess with a sleep-deprived pregnant woman who got up 5 times to pee last night and is a second away from snapping. angry.gif I finally gave up trying to sleep around 5am and went into the kitchen for a glass of water. There was a centipede in our sink and I started screeching as I usually do and ran to ask him to kill it for me. Okay okay, laugh at me all you want --- yes, I am terrified of centipedes, I just can't handle how big of an insect they are. I avoid killing them myself at all costs because I can't handle the "squish". Too bad, so sad! Well hubby laughs at me about it and I don't care that he makes fun of me for it. But for God's sakes at least help me when I'm freaking out! He usually does, but this morning he was comfy in his recliner watching TV and told me I could kill it myself. eyesroll.gif I tried working up the courage but completely failed as I was in the process and the centipede ran away and I couldn't find it.

I was like.... oh *bleep* no! I flipped out on DH and told him the *insert obscenity here* wouldn't have gotten away if he had just *bleepin'* helped me when I asked and now I was too terrified to be in the kitchen, thank you very much, and our baby was going to starve all day without me eating anything and I was so *bleepin'* thirsty I couldn't even go back in and get myself the water I intended to in the first place... I ran into the bedroom and slammed the door shut and just laid there fuming. Hubby came in 15 minutes later and said he found the centipede and killed it. THANK GOD THIS STORY HAS A HAPPY ENDING!

Okay, you're all probably laughing at me or eating popcorn lurk.gif, enjoying the sideshow that I've turned into this morning. Maybe I was a little overdramatic... but this is a legit fear of mine. greensad.gif  I even tell people to be careful when they're up and roaming their homes around 3-5 o'clock in the morning because that's when centipedes come out all the time. This is the second night in a row when I've gotten up between then and found a centipede....... the third time in a week! I swear they're just out to get me at this point! And god forbid I want to do laundry in the middle of the night to pass the time... I'm not going in the basement with those things lurking.

*vent over*

Thank you for listening. I am going to go try some deep breathing to calm myself down now. LOL innocent.gif

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#66 of 88 Old 09-05-2011, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

*prepare for vent*

DH should know better than to mess with a sleep-deprived pregnant woman who got up 5 times to pee last night and is a second away from snapping. angry.gif I finally gave up trying to sleep around 5am and went into the kitchen for a glass of water. There was a centipede in our sink and I started screeching as I usually do and ran to ask him to kill it for me. Okay okay, laugh at me all you want --- yes, I am terrified of centipedes, I just can't handle how big of an insect they are. I avoid killing them myself at all costs because I can't handle the "squish". Too bad, so sad! Well hubby laughs at me about it and I don't care that he makes fun of me for it. But for God's sakes at least help me when I'm freaking out! He usually does, but this morning he was comfy in his recliner watching TV and told me I could kill it myself. eyesroll.gif I tried working up the courage but completely failed as I was in the process and the centipede ran away and I couldn't find it.

I was like.... oh *bleep* no! I flipped out on DH and told him the *insert obscenity here* wouldn't have gotten away if he had just *bleepin'* helped me when I asked and now I was too terrified to be in the kitchen, thank you very much, and our baby was going to starve all day without me eating anything and I was so *bleepin'* thirsty I couldn't even go back in and get myself the water I intended to in the first place... I ran into the bedroom and slammed the door shut and just laid there fuming. Hubby came in 15 minutes later and said he found the centipede and killed it. THANK GOD THIS STORY HAS A HAPPY ENDING!

Okay, you're all probably laughing at me or eating popcorn lurk.gif, enjoying the sideshow that I've turned into this morning. Maybe I was a little overdramatic... but this is a legit fear of mine. greensad.gif  I even tell people to be careful when they're up and roaming their homes around 3-5 o'clock in the morning because that's when centipedes come out all the time. This is the second night in a row when I've gotten up between then and found a centipede....... the third time in a week! I swear they're just out to get me at this point! And god forbid I want to do laundry in the middle of the night to pass the time... I'm not going in the basement with those things lurking.

*vent over*

Thank you for listening. I am going to go try some deep breathing to calm myself down now. LOL innocent.gif

ROTFLMAO.giflol.gifbiglaugh.giftwins.gif    Sorry, I had to get all the smilie buddies together to laugh at you. lol It's all good. I have to make sure DH kills EARWIGS! OMFG Those things were made by the devil himself! Funny thing is, he kills earwigs for me, and I kill big ugly spiders for him. lol I swear the spiders are out to get me while I'm pregnant, though. When DH and I moved to Belgrade, there was a terrible Hobo Spider infestation at the house and in the first month, I killed 15 of those damn things and they were an inch wide! Now, this time, it's grass spiders. Thank GOD grass spiders don't have a dangerous bite and rarely bite humans, but DAMN those things are still scary looking with their legs all sprawled out. I've killed 4 of THOSE in the last week. I take great pleasure in burning them to death with scalding water. hehehe FIREdevil.gif

#67 of 88 Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 AM

I hate centipedes too.  Lord have mercy are they the nastiest bugs ever or what?!   YUCK!  

#68 of 88 Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 AM

I hate spiders, and I swear they are out to get us this summer, I have never seen so many in our apartment before!!!  Yikes help.gif  Hubby hates them too, but he always has to kill them whahahahaha!!!

luxlove.gif

http://novelstudies.org - My hubby's website for affordable novel-studies for kids.

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

#69 of 88 Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 AM

Super-gross story- I was awake in the middle of the night so I went to get a snack from the kitchen.  The light from the refrigerator was just enough for me to catch something on the floor out of the corner of my eye.  I turned the light on and it was not one but TWO SLUGS!!  OMG!  They had slinked in through a tiny crack where the door meets the floor.  UGH.  Needless to say, we weatherstripped so they can't get in anymore.  I had to wake hubby to dispose of them- I just couldn't pour salt on them- YUCK!

#70 of 88 Old 09-06-2011, 02:03 AM

It is 5 am and I still have not slept a wink. Thank god I am scheduled to go to the chiropractor tomorrow...or today really.

Now, just debating if I should call in sick today...I will probably just tough it out greensad.gif

It seems like everytime I am due for a chiropractic adjustment I sleep poorly. How I wish I could get adjusted every day so I could sleep like a champ.

I even made a point to drink Chamomile tea before bed....you would have thought I had drank 3 espressos by how wide awake I have been all night.

Before I was pregnant all I would think about was food, now all I think about is sleep.

Spending my days with my precious son, the greatest blessing in my life - appropriatley born on Thanksgiving day

​looking forward to when I can sleep more than a 2 or 3 hour stretch on a consistent basis!

#71 of 88 Old 09-06-2011, 02:52 AM

I'm awake too, Butter is Better! eyesroll.gif I'm starting to worry that this is becoming a lasting trend that I'm getting up between 3-5 every morning. greensad.gif It's been 4 days in a row. I hate being up this early. I have nothing to do! And my first thought waking up this time was, "Oh no! It's centipede time! bigeyes.gif I don't want to roam the house at this hour. AHHHH!" Luckily, I haven't seen one *yet*... I'm trying to not even look at my surroundings in the living room. I'm that paranoid. ROTFLMAO.gif Should've seen me tip-toe into the kitchen and snatch up my water bottle as quickly as possible to scurry out. lmao

I suppose I should start trying some new ways to get a solid night of sleep. I thought the first few nights I was just hungry, but last night I went to bed having eaten and I'm still up this early again. Oy vey.

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#72 of 88 Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter is Better View Post

It is 5 am and I still have not slept a wink. Thank god I am scheduled to go to the chiropractor tomorrow...or today really.

Now, just debating if I should call in sick today...I will probably just tough it out greensad.gif

It seems like everytime I am due for a chiropractic adjustment I sleep poorly. How I wish I could get adjusted every day so I could sleep like a champ.

I even made a point to drink Chamomile tea before bed....you would have thought I had drank 3 espressos by how wide awake I have been all night.

Before I was pregnant all I would think about was food, now all I think about is sleep.

I slept poorly as well, but I never got up, because we have to travel all day today. Blah! Have you tried milk tea to get to sleep? You can find a recipe online somewhere. I love milk tea. Only had it once, but it made me really sleepy.

#73 of 88 Old 09-06-2011, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My insomnia has reached new heights.  And I go back to work tomorrow!  It takes me 3-5 hours to fall asleep, minimum... and I wake up at dawn or earlier (woke up at 4:15 the other morning) and that's it. I'm up.

I feel so exhausted all day.  I had two random days in the last couple weeks where I got a full night's sleep and I felt like friggin' superwoman all day, it was the most amazing thing ever.  I don't know what I'm gonna do when I go back to work (it's at a school so we had a summer break).

Ugh.

Katie, married to my beloved Paddy

Catherine Anne "KJ" born November 10th, 2011

#74 of 88 Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 AM

Got adjusted by the chiro yesterday and it still took me till 1 or 2 am to fall asleep! Soooooo frustrating! Honestly I think I am going to start resorting to drinking 1 or 2 oz (not glasses) of wine at night before bed to relax (at least on days when I am feeling wired).... A light wine, like a pinot grigio. I feel better about doing that then taking a sleeping pill!

Spending my days with my precious son, the greatest blessing in my life - appropriatley born on Thanksgiving day

​looking forward to when I can sleep more than a 2 or 3 hour stretch on a consistent basis!

#75 of 88 Old 09-07-2011, 07:38 AM

Anybody else having crazy dreams lately? Ever since I entered the 3rd trimester, I'm having horrible nightmares and other really weird dreams. Some of them are so bad I wake up in the morning in a horrible mood because I actually experienced all of the stressful feelings from the nightmare as if it were real and I'm completely exhausted. greensad.gif

#76 of 88 Old 09-07-2011, 08:00 AM

I have had a LOT of nightmares too ... I am originally from South Africa, so all my family is back there.  I now live in Canada.  I had a horrible nightmare, last week, in which my dad died.  I was so distressed when I woke up to go pee that I was crying :(  it took a while for my hubby to calm me down and reassure me that everything was okay.  I have been dreaming a lot fo weird things lately.  I mostly had crazy dreams in my first trimester, second tri I didn't really dream which I thought was strange, and now weird dreams are back.  oi ...

luxlove.gif

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

#77 of 88 Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:

I'm awake too, Butter is Better! eyesroll.gif I'm starting to worry that this is becoming a lasting trend that I'm getting up between 3-5 every morning. greensad.gif It's been 4 days in a row. I hate being up this early. I have nothing to do! And my first thought waking up this time was, "Oh no! It's centipede time! bigeyes.gif I don't want to roam the house at this hour. AHHHH!" Luckily, I haven't seen one *yet*... I'm trying to not even look at my surroundings in the living room. I'm that paranoid. ROTFLMAO.gif Should've seen me tip-toe into the kitchen and snatch up my water bottle as quickly as possible to scurry out. lmao

I suppose I should start trying some new ways to get a solid night of sleep. I thought the first few nights I was just hungry, but last night I went to bed having eaten and I'm still up this early again. Oy vey.

Hi birdhappy85 have you tried seeing a chiropractor? I swear it has helped with my insomnia significantly (still not gone....but improved) also seeing a chiro that specializes in pregnant women (I believe the use the webster's technique) is supposed to really help out with the baby being positioned correctly, helps them not only not be breech but also be in the optimal position. Just thought I would share because I am new to it as well and was glad someone told me about it biggrinbounce.gif

#78 of 88 Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnshades View Post

I mostly had crazy dreams in my first trimester, second tri I didn't really dream which I thought was strange, and now weird dreams are back.  oi ...

I also had very vivid dreams in the 1st trimester, and not as many in the 2nd....I am sure that gearing up the birth the dreams will be back!

#79 of 88 Old 09-07-2011, 07:56 PM

Butter is Better - Yeah, I've seen a chiropractor who specializes in pregnancy for other problems I've had during the pregnancy but not for just sleep-related issues. I had been seeing her twice a week and then down to once a week, but I haven't gone back in 3 weeks because she's a half hour away and I get anxious driving on the highway lately... plus financially things have been rough lately with me unable to work. But I probably should go back and see her for a few more adjustments before the baby is born. I do feel better when I see her and I do sleep great afterward! I know it's especially important in this last trimester to get things aligned for childbirth. I'll add that to my list of calls to make tomorrow! thumb.gif

#80 of 88 Old 09-08-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:

Anybody else having crazy dreams lately? Ever since I entered the 3rd trimester, I'm having horrible nightmares and other really weird dreams. Some of them are so bad I wake up in the morning in a horrible mood because I actually experienced all of the stressful feelings from the nightmare as if it were real and I'm completely exhausted. greensad.gif

Oh yes! Last night I dreamed I started labor (A few weeks early right). I also dreamed I ended up in prison and was concerned that I still had my wedding rings on. Hubby showed up in my dream and I handed him my wedding rings, concerned that if I didn't, the presence of jewelry would give some of the girls something to fight over. Bizarre.

I'd had a hiatus from insomnia, but it seems that between my hips giving me hell and waking me up and my brain experiencing strange migraine activity, I get woken up and then have trouble getting back to sleep. It's any wonder I have time to dream!

I hope you get some rest, Birdhappy. Do you know how to become lucid in your dreams? I used to do that when I was a kid because I'd have terrible dreams and then waking myself up would just assure I'd go right back into the nightmare when I went back to sleep. Becoming lucid and manipulating how your dreams turn out can change how the nightmares end up affecting you.

Meeting my daughter somewhere between 21st - 27th November 2011

#81 of 88 Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 AM

Ugh, me too!  I've been awake in the 3 o'clock hour until I force myself back to bed an hour or so later....and it's totally messing with me!  I can't stay awake during the day!  (thankfully, I work for myeself/from home)- but still!  I am a crabby mama incapable of pulling dinner together every day. I"m so over it!  I'm hoping to get in to the chiropractor's office tomorrow, hopefully that will help!  Thanks for letting me vent ;-)

christina

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#82 of 88 Old 09-08-2011, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ever since my mom found out I want a UC, she's been bugging me about risk risk risk and the other night, when I was at her house, visiting/getting my son from her, she keeps going on and on to the point that I end up dreaming about all the risks and I tossed and turned and only got 3 hours. Ugh!

#83 of 88 Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 AM

Ick... I had a miserable night's sleep ... irked.gif  I had a migraine when I went to bed ... and it woke me up about every hour in the night because my head hurt so much ... :(  I hope it stays away, it seems to have gone around 5am this morning, although I feel like it might be back to bother me today...

luxlove.gif

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

#84 of 88 Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnshades View Post

Ick... I had a miserable night's sleep ... irked.gif  I had a migraine when I went to bed ... and it woke me up about every hour in the night because my head hurt so much ... :(  I hope it stays away, it seems to have gone around 5am this morning, although I feel like it might be back to bother me today...

I feel your pain, Autumnshades. Gotta love those hormones messing up our heads (not).

Meeting my daughter somewhere between 21st - 27th November 2011

#85 of 88 Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 AM

I.ve had a touch of pg insomnia for awhile, but last night was the first night I admitted defeat and got up. I'm only on week 29, I can't take this for another 11 wks or so :/

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#86 of 88 Old 09-09-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:

Butter is Better - Yeah, I've seen a chiropractor who specializes in pregnancy for other problems I've had during the pregnancy but not for just sleep-related issues. I had been seeing her twice a week and then down to once a week, but I haven't gone back in 3 weeks because she's a half hour away and I get anxious driving on the highway lately... plus financially things have been rough lately with me unable to work. But I probably should go back and see her for a few more adjustments before the baby is born. I do feel better when I see her and I do sleep great afterward! I know it's especially important in this last trimester to get things aligned for childbirth. I'll add that to my list of calls to make tomorrow! thumb.gif

I feel you on the financial piece....I am a little sad to see our savings account go down down down after we worked so hard to build up a nest egg....but I guess that is what it is there for. The hospital coinsurance will be our biggest expense....like $2K - $3K for a vaginal delivery! Plus $500 for a doula...$300 for childbirth classes....plus plus plus! I guess I just have to trust God will provide! My husband just started a new job too, but thank god is doing really well so far....still it is commission based so that is a tiny bit stressful, but I am ok with it now. I think at the end of the day it is the best thing for our family, and honestly I feel like in life any sense of security we have can crumble at a moments notice b/c you never know what can happen.

Mommy lesson #1: Try to worry less!

#87 of 88 Old 09-10-2011, 04:37 AM

Well my nightmares subsided (for the time being?) but now I have a new sleep disturbance, lol. Gah! duh.gif It's so random and weird... I have started kicking my right leg hard in my sleep and it gives me a charlie horse and pulls my round ligament muscle on the right side so bad I'm in excruciating pain for a little bit. Ouch!!! I think I'm getting cramping in that leg now and that must be why I suddenly kick unconsciously in my sleep. I haven't gotten too much leg cramping during the pregnancy but noticed it a few times lately when I've woken up to go to the bathroom. Leg cramps are no joke! I'm a baby when it comes to that kind of thing. That's one of those discomforts I get so annoyed with easily... You'd think menstrual cramps would be worse to me, but nope - leg discomfort drives me up a wall. lol. I give women a lot of credit if they manage to have frequent leg cramping and sleep throughout their pregnancy!

#88 of 88 Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Joanie, the leg kick might be from lack of sleep. I used to do that not long after my son came. I wasn't used to not being able to sleep and my arms would jerk or my foot would kick involuntarily. It's a nerve thing because you need more sleep. Naptime, anyone? sleepytime.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page