So I've Been Up Since 2:30AM....Midpregnancy insomnia anybody? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 88 Old 08-05-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ugh! It's now almost 6AM, and I just haven't been able to sleep a full night for a week. Could this be my body gearing me up for the sleepless nights routine again? God, I hope not! I want to sleep!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 88 Old 08-05-2011, 07:01 AM

Ugh YES! Isn't it rough?? I've had insomnia on and off since the beginning of this pregnancy.  It was especially awful my first trimester when I was so dang wiped out already.  I'm 27 weeks today and I fall asleep late (12:30 or 1) and wake up super early (like 5:45 or so)  most nights.  Doesn't help that I have to get up at least once in between to go pee!

I'm in the zombie club with you today, girl.

Katie, married to my beloved Paddy

Catherine Anne "KJ" born November 10th, 2011

#3 of 88 Old 08-05-2011, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My sleep schedule is all sorts of screwed up these days too! I'm right there with you. This past Saturday through Monday I was going to bed around the same time every night but waking up progressively earlier every day. I was up at 4:30am on Monday. irked.gif It was horrible working all day after having been up that early, and then we had our first childbirth ed class for nearly 3 hours that night. That might've contributed to the reason I fell apart the next day and haven't been able to make it into work since. Poor sleep spurs on my SPD, back pain, and fibro, and my mental health suffers. I'm currently taking 2+ naps a day and waking up a lot in the middle of the night. But I'm always up by 6:00am. I am such a morning person, I've never been able to sleep in even if I try. Hopefully that will help me better take care of my baby since I'm used to the crazy hours and could care less about sleeping in. thumb.gif

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#4 of 88 Old 08-05-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Aw man! And I thought I had it rough just staying up when I didn't want to. You gotta work on top of it! You poor thing hug.gif  My crazy sleep pattern didn't start until my medication fully kicked in, so I'm going to talk to my prescriber about it. We need to start a support group for 3rd trimester insomniacs so we can keep one another company. I felt lonely last night. lol

#5 of 88 Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM

My sleep patterns have been getting wacky lately.  I'm taking the Hypnobabies home study course and when I have trouble sleeping, or when I get up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep right away, I put on my Pregnancy Affirmations CD and I'm asleep within 10-15 minutes. 

Jen - married to my superhero.gif, mama to DD (19), DD (17), DS (13), DSD (13), DS (8), forever missing my Hannah Grace candle.gif born still at 18 weeks, now on bedrest and expecting our miracle rainbow1284.gif in November.

#6 of 88 Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 PM

You ladies are not the only ones! I am also having a terrible time sleeping. So hard to fall asleep and then I wake up EVERY night around 3am. So frustrating to get back to sleep and then I find I am either getting up super early or falling back into a crappy sleep that last a little to long that makes me feel groggy.

Guess it may be baby's way of saying "Get ready mom!"caffix.gif

belly.gifTeresa, wife of Chris, mom to be 11/11/2011.2ndtri.gif neg.gifFound out 03/20/11 and it was the best moment in our lives!  Always in our hearts, 01/01/2010angel.gif (8 weeks)rainbow1284.gif

dust.gifCounting down!!!***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif**baby.gif

#7 of 88 Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

So.....not only can I not sleep at night, but I try for THREE HOURS to take a nap, to no avail. WTH!!! GAH! I'll just be one of those hermits that pulls out their hair and have bulgy twitchy eyes that never see the light of day.

#8 of 88 Old 08-05-2011, 03:50 PM

LOL!! Aww hug2.gif. Thanks for the hug earlier! We totally should start a nighttime group for those who can't sleep. Does this website have instant messenger? If I don't need it now, I know for SURE I'll need an outlet of people to talk to when the baby arrives! I go completely crazy when I get sporadic sleep. Watch out, hubby! LOL

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#9 of 88 Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 PM

I never sleep well during pregnancy. I sleep much better after the birth than I do while gestating.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#10 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I'm a natural night owl.. its really hard for me to go to sleep before midnight, and even then, I do better closer to 1. Fortunately though, once I'm out, I'm out. The biggest annoyance is that if I'm really exhausted, like had to get up early or am super tired in the afternoon, I can't just decide to go to bed as soon as the kids are asleep. My body doesn't seem to "get" that sleep prior to midnightish is "Real". Its like it counts as "day time sleep/nap" because I will ALWAYS wake within an hour or 2, and have LOADS of trouble getting back to sleep. Sometimes when I go to bed early (and by early, I might mean like 10!) I'll be up multiple times for an over an hour each time. I've tried to use a lightbox to regulate my sleep like maybe a year ago? Or year and a half?.. soooo many testimonials to its usefulness. So we got one, for like $120 at costco.. and I use it for like 3 days. 15-20 min or so upon waking (so anywhere between like, 9-11. early bird i am *not*) well, every day that I used it, I struggled to fall asleep at night. I could not fall asleep until at least 4am. EVERY TIME. Sooo.. clearly the lightbox wasn't the right thing for me, or I wasn't doing it right or something?

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#11 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 03:34 AM

If this doesn't answer the question: It's 4:30AM. Between 11PM and now, I have:

Walked all through Wal-Mart...from one corner to the other, really.

Surfed the web.

Moved the ottoman and chair to clean under them.

Clean under the sectional.

Sweep the living room and hallway.

Spot mop living room/hallway on my hands and knees.

Threw away 1.5 bags of trash and clutter that managed to find it's way into my living room.

Recover 2 missing pairs of dd's shoes (one pair each for the older 2!).

Pick out paint colors and decorative stuff for the house.

Speculate where to move the fridge/TV so we can knock down at least half of the wall between the kitchen and living room. 

....I think I may be nesting. ;) And I did this all during an SPD flareup. My body is going to hate me in the morning!

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#12 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Oh Dennie! LOL That about sums it up for me on sleepless nights. lol I could be a whirlwind cleaning the house and then go grocery shopping if I can't sleep. Sometimes I just stay on the computer but if I get bored, out the door I go. One night, DH woke up to pee just as I was walking out the door and was like "where the HELL are you going?"

Me: "Just to get some coffee and go to the store. "  

DH: It's 2 in the morning!

Me: Well I know but I can't sleep, so I need coffee and then I'm getting groceries.

duh.gif If that doesn't seem crazy, I don't know what does. lol Those are tweeker hours of the night to go to Walmart. lol

#13 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 07:39 AM

Boy I hear you all on the insomnia. This week it's been waking up at 2 am. I managed to read a book for a while and kind of go back to a fitful sleep. And that doesn't count all the peeing and rolling over because my hips hurt. At least I don't have to work today.

#14 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Is it nap time yet?.............. sleepytime.gif

#15 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 AM

Mine must be hereditary in part...my cousin was at Wal-Mart, too! LOL And I KNOW he's not suffering from pregnancy insomnia. ;) 

#16 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

LOL Some people just can't sleep at night. Sometimes they get jobs with graveyard shifts so it accomodates their sleep patterns.

#17 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 10:07 AM

I've been having this issue for a while now, too. I had it when I first became pregnant because I was just so shocked and excited that I couldn't sleep - but that wore off after a week or so and I was sleeping fine again.

Now, I'm waking up every 1-2 hours to go pee and I don't have a problem getting back to sleep during the night, but when I get up to pee at like 4-5am I just cannot get back to sleep. I'll lay in bed for *hours* and still nothing. This morning I just lay there for two whole hours. Nothing. irked.gif

Then I'm super tired during the day and have to take at least one nap - sometimes two. Frustrating! I guess the only thing that might help me is to drink less water, especially at night - but I'm not willing to do that. If I don't gulp down some water during my pee breaks at night I wake up sooo extremely puffy and dehydrated. 

#18 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

Then I'm super tired during the day and have to take at least one nap - sometimes two. Frustrating! I guess the only thing that might help me is to drink less water, especially at night - but I'm not willing to do that. If I don't gulp down some water during my pee breaks at night I wake up sooo extremely puffy and dehydrated. 

I wake up puffy and dehydrated too! This pisses me off, cuz I have to drink water as soon as I wake up and can't drink as much coffee. angry.gif

#19 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

I wake up puffy and dehydrated too! This pisses me off, cuz I have to drink water as soon as I wake up and can't drink as much coffee. angry.gif

Well, that's probably not a bad thing! thumb.gif

#20 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

LOL If you've been up and down all night, it IS a bad thing. I need coffee caffix.gif so I'm not sleeping.gif

#21 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 11:03 AM

I just heard that you're not supposed to have coffee when pregnant?

#22 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Oh poo! That's a pregnancy "rule" that doesn't HAVE to be followed. 2 cups of caffeinated coffee a day is fine.

#23 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 PM

True, if they are small cups (6oz each).  my "cups" are like 12-16 oz though so I just go decaf :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

Oh poo! That's a pregnancy "rule" that doesn't HAVE to be followed. 2 cups of caffeinated coffee a day is fine.

#24 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mine are 6 oz cups. They are more like tea cups, I don't have coffee mugs.

#25 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks so much for posting this. I have to take ambien and I sometimes still only sleep 2 hours. The midwife said to drink warm milk and to try to stay up in the day. That doesnt work. If I have a really bad night my body just falls asleep in the day, I only nap for 30 min 45 at the max! I just don't know what to do. The baby is sleep at night. She is up in the day! So I just don't know!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm gonna see if I can get some Ambien to help me sleep. I get loopy on little to no sleep.

#27 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 PM

I prefer caffeine in the form of coffee or soda to the random dips I get in my BP while pregnant that make me feel like my ears are stuffed with cotton, I get clammy and hot flashes, and tunnel vision to where I can barely stand up. If it's that or caffeine, give me the caffeine! FWIW, none of my kids have extra limbs, heart troubles, or two head. Yet, at least...maybe this'll be my get rich baby: "COFFEE ADDICT MOM GIVES BIRTH TO TWO HEADED HYPERACTIVE BABY!!!!!" ;P

#28 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

LMFAO! My poor daughter, when I was pregnant with her, I was addicted to espresso coffees with 3 shots of espresso in them. bigeyes.gif I know, right? She wasn't a super active baby while inside, though. And she came out just fine. Normal baby, 10 fingers, 10 toes, 2 eyes, 8 lbs 4 oz at 40 weeks gestation.

#29 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I drink coffee while pregnant.  My thought is that if your body is used to drinking it, then it's fine.  I never drink enough to elevate my heart rate, which works for me.  :)

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#30 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 10:07 PM

I'm cautious about it, even decaf, just because it leaches calcium and iron from the body.  I am already slightly anemic and i supplement calcium for my leg cramps.  It easily crosses the placenta, too, so while it doesn't cause birth defects it can still get to baby.  It is also absorbed slower as pregnancy progresses, so maybe it is exacerbating insomnia?  Who knows.  Just food for thought 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page