Safety of Hair Products - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-05-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This morning I was doing my hair and looked closely at my bottle of Orofluido hair oil I use almost daily and thought to myself, I have been avoiding so much, but is this really safe?! What have you mom's been doing with your hair? Continuing to use your regular hair products or ditching them? I went onto the website and realized that it may have silicone based products in so probably will stop using it (although I have been using for the last month already!)

belly.gifTeresa, wife of Chris, mom to be 11/11/2011.2ndtri.gif neg.gifFound out 03/20/11 and it was the best moment in our lives!  Always in our hearts, 01/01/2010angel.gif (8 weeks)rainbow1284.gif

dust.gifCounting down!!!***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif**baby.gif

#2 of 14 Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I think that moderation is key for most things, but I also think that pregnancy is an excellent time to become more aware of everything you're using on your body, in your body, and around your house.  Because once baby is born, there is a lot to think about in regards to products you use on them as well and what they are touching around your house and what you plan to feed them when they start solids. 

Have you been to the Skin Deep website?  It can be really helpful when trying to figure out what ingredients you should avoid and what products are safe.  http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/.  You can browse by product category or name.

Since our first baby we have definitely greened up our lives.  We purchase environmentally friend, organic, nasty-chemical free products for all our needs.  In this fashion I'm not concerned about any of the products I've been using during this pregnancy.  I know that a lot of times purchasing these types of products can be cost prohibitive.  When it comes to cleaning products, though, you can make a lot of your own out of inexpensive ingredients.  And for body products we purchase through the Frontier Natural Products and UNFI co-ops.  I have no idea if you have any co-ops (often called "buying clubs") set up in your area, but a great way to find out is to search Yahoo Groups and Google Groups for "buying club" or "co-op" and see what pops up by you.  Also post in the finding your tribe section here on MDC and search for local parenting groups as well to find out if there is a co-op you can get involved in.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 14 Old 08-05-2011, 02:23 PM

We make many of our household cleaners and personal care products.  I make lip balm, deodorant (works much better than ANY i've tried, and I must admit I need STRONG deodorant! lol), and I do oil-cleansing method for my face, and we do "no-poo" for our hair.  We don't stink, we aren't greasy, and people are always shocked when I tell them I wash my hair with baking soda and vinegar because my hair looks very healthy and normal.

If you want "recipes" or links to more info, I can get you some.

#4 of 14 Old 08-05-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

We make many of our household cleaners and personal care products.  I make lip balm, deodorant (works much better than ANY i've tried, and I must admit I need STRONG deodorant! lol), and I do oil-cleansing method for my face, and we do "no-poo" for our hair.  We don't stink, we aren't greasy, and people are always shocked when I tell them I wash my hair with baking soda and vinegar because my hair looks very healthy and normal.

If you want "recipes" or links to more info, I can get you some.

ME ME ME!!!! Over here, please! cow-jumping.gif

#5 of 14 Old 08-06-2011, 10:17 AM

Lip balm: http://www.re-nest.com/re-nest/how-to/how-to-make-homemade-lip-balm-125258

notes:  I use peppermint essential oil so it's like Burt's Bees!  I love it.  I use our old lip balm containers and carefully (SO carefully) pour it in. then let it set and top it off again after a couple of minutes so you get a nice round top. 

Deo:  http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2009/08/natural-homemade-deodorant/

notes:  we use all tea-tree oil OR a mix of tea tree/eucalyptus.  You can get TT oil and vit E oil at trader joes for CHEAP.  We get coconut oil in the regular grocery store oil aisle. 

no-poo method: http://simplemom.net/the-oh-so-important-hair-update/

notes:  coconut oil makes a great deep-conidtioning hair mask.  My husband LOVES the no-poo method and hasn't traditionally washed his hair in years.  He uses the NP method once a week, that's all!   On days when my hair looks just a tad greasy but not bad enough to wash, I lightly powder the roots with baby powder.  Works like a charm!  My hairdresser taught me that trick :)  Also, there is definitely an adjustment period, and you can also adjust the ratios so you find a formula that works for you.  Check a few other websites for tips.

oil-cleansing method: http://crunchybetty.com/nitty-gritty-on-the-oil-cleansing-method

notes:  Also an adjustment period for this... but now my skin is GREAT as long as I solely use the OCM and don't go back to regular cleansers on lazy days.  If I cheat, it shows.  It's relaxing to have a hot cloth on my face.  It takes a few minutes but I think it is worth the downtime.  It's like a mini-facial!  I only use one washcloth a night, this site says multiple cloths.  Whatevs :)  You can use oils found in the regular cooking oil aisle, they are the same as the ones found in the cosmetics aisles at natural grocers, but the cooking ones are usually cheaper.  I use grapeseed and castor, but might switch from grapeseed to avocado or sunflower seed.  Again, the type of oil you choose might be bad for your skin type, so do a little poking around on the web to find what might be best for you.  I love this method, though, and believe it or not my face is usually a tad bit DRY after washing with oil- so I add just a drop for moisturizing :)

#6 of 14 Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Thanks for posting this!

#7 of 14 Old 08-07-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links! They are so worth a try. hug2.gif

belly.gifTeresa, wife of Chris, mom to be 11/11/2011.2ndtri.gif neg.gifFound out 03/20/11 and it was the best moment in our lives!  Always in our hearts, 01/01/2010angel.gif (8 weeks)rainbow1284.gif

dust.gifCounting down!!!***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif**baby.gif

#8 of 14 Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 PM

The great part is that we just have a few bottles of stuff- coconut oil, vitamin e oil, essential oils- that we can use for everything.  Baking soda and vinegar are always in the house anyway :)  So it may seem like a hefty up-front cost but I think overall it's sooo much cheaper than buying fancy conventional or organic products.  The oils last a LONG time, too.  Like, years.

#9 of 14 Old 08-08-2011, 12:03 PM

I've cut out nearly all of our hair care products and I haven't used make-up in almost three years for the simple reasons of safety and avoiding excess chemical exposure. I do have some 'weak' moments and buy stuff from LUSH, but that's not as bad as some places. shrug.gif

I have been dying my hair, though - but DH and I watched this documentary last week and I don't think I'll be going back to the salon again. It was a good watch, although a bit long, I think. Anyway, I always knew those things were bad for me (I mean, i haven't worn make up in three years because of the 'bad stuff' in it) but being pregnant and watching that makes me want to completely avoid chemicals wherever I am able.

#10 of 14 Old 08-08-2011, 12:04 PM

Thanks for sharing those recipes, jbk21! We've been using the rock crystal deodorant and that works fine for my DH, but not for me... I will try the baking soda one. 

#11 of 14 Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 PM

LunaLady- Where did you see Homo Toxicus?  It's not on Netflix.  I'd like to watch it.  Also, I've been dying my hair with henna and indigo during this pregnancy and I've been really happy with the results.  I buy pre-mixed colors from Light Mountain.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#12 of 14 Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 PM

We watched it on NetFlix instant play; here it is.

Yep, I've used henna from Light Mountain and from LUSH - I just look terrible with red hair and I've got chemical blonde in my hair right now and the last time I used indigo over blonde I had a head of green streaks.... Wasn't the look I was going for! ROTFLMAO.gif

The most recent 'natural' hair dye I've used is Naturcolor and it gave me pretty good results. I think I'm going to try that one again - but start lighter than I think I need. It tends to be a couple shades darker than I expect each time I use it.

#13 of 14 Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Did you try using their Cover the Grey or the regular Light Mountain?  The darker colors like medium and dark brown, black, etc. don't look red.  My highlights are a bit red in the sun, but otherwise the color is definitely brown. 

Thanks for the link to Netflix... but it still says it is unavailable.  Maybe it was on instant only for a brief period?  Bummer.

#14 of 14 Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Did you try using their Cover the Grey or the regular Light Mountain?  The darker colors like medium and dark brown, black, etc. don't look red.  My highlights are a bit red in the sun, but otherwise the color is definitely brown. 

Thanks for the link to Netflix... but it still says it is unavailable.  Maybe it was on instant only for a brief period?  Bummer.

I just used regular light mountain. And, my natural color is kind of a medium brown blonde with VERY ashy tones - like no warm tones what-so-ever and I'd really like to get to a place when I don't have to dye it anymore. But the root line i have right now is giving me this sort of trashy look that I'm not too keen on! 

That's weird - I'm able to add it to my instant queue or click the play button and watch it instantly. What NetFlix package do you have? If just the instant play one - have you exceeded your hours this month or anything?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page