What Did Your Contractions Feel Like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-07-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pregnant w/our second baby, and I keep wondering about things that happened during my first labor. In particular, the contractions were awful pretty fast and it literally felt like a grown man was trying to use my pubic bone as a ladder to climb up my body...there was so much painful pressure right on my pubic bone and it was just burning and felt like it was going to break off. Is that a normal feeling? It went from menstrual type cramps to that pubic bone pain starting around 3 cm. I got an epidural after that and ended up w/a c-section.

#2 of 11 Old 08-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hmmm, no, that's not what my contractions felt like.  They were more like really awful menstrual cramps.  I never had any pubic bone pain or anything that I would have associated with that.  My contractions were all very manageable until I went into transition and then things went fast. 

I used Hypnobirthing and stayed very relaxed through the entire process.   I highly recommend it, as I feel that it made my labor easy to manage.

Both of my previous labors have been 27 hours long, but nothing that I couldn't handle. 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#3 of 11 Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 PM

Mine weren't like that either, and I'd second the "awful menstrual cramp" feeling except mine were in my back (which is also where my menstrual cramps are; my MW thinks that's just where my body experiences those sensations so it wasn't about his positioning though he was also posterior for most of labor.  So we're looking at more back labor this time too, weeeee!)

I remember feeling them in my legs too, which my sister had warned me about, but that was right before I got the epidural.  :(  I'm not looking forward to that sensation again this time, but maybe/hopefully being in water will reduce those sensations?  I hope so!  

#4 of 11 Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I didn't have any pubic bone pain with either of my labors. The first was posterior and I had a lot of back labor and ultimately ended up with a cesarean. The 2nd was positioned well. My posterior baby's contractions were like a charlie horse from hell in my lower back. My 2nd, HBAC baby I'd say like menstrual cramps (blessedly, upfront for me!) that cover a bit bigger of an area, if I recall correctly, and of course more intense.  Day at the spa compared to back labor, though ;) What was ultimately the reason for your cesarean? Do you know if there was possibly something wonky about your baby's position? Malpositions can cause more severe pain, and "different" pain compared to well positioned babies. Do you have a chiropractor (particularly one who is experienced with pregnancy and is webster and/or bagnell technique certified) you could see? Can't hurt to see if maybe some adjustments to your pelvis could help provide a smoother exit for this little one!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#5 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

With both my labors I could tell it was "real" when the contractions started to get sharper and crampier- as others have said, like bad menstrual cramps- instead of just pressure contractions.  As I hit transition I'm not sure I can even describe what they feel like other than I know that I want them to stop and I want to jump out of my skin.  But I know that that means I'm at the end and if I give a little push, things start to happen and the pain is relieved.

Water does help immensely- for me- with that middle section of labor- like 5-8cm or so.  But during transition nothing seems to help except changing positions constantly and holding onto the knowledge that it will be over soon.  I would also second the rec for labor prep like hypnobirthing that can really arm you with some good ways to relax and affirmations to feel confident.  Acupuncture and chiro work at the end can also be very helpful to get baby into an ideal position.  Another idea that a lot of women swear by on these boards is red raspberry leaf tea.  Drink copious amounts of it starting now and supposedly it leads to easier, more comfortable labors and less postpartum bleeding.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 08:06 AM

Um... honestly i dont remember. I remeber pain but I was sleep because I was on stadol.

#7 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Just want to note that I felt my contractions n my back for my entire 1st labor but not at all for my second. So don't worry- this is usually a positioning thing, not a "this is how your body labors". My labors were VERY different from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

Mine weren't like that either, and I'd second the "awful menstrual cramp" feeling except mine were in my back (which is also where my menstrual cramps are; my MW thinks that's just where my body experiences those sensations so it wasn't about his positioning though he was also posterior for most of labor.  So we're looking at more back labor this time too, weeeee!)

I remember feeling them in my legs too, which my sister had warned me about, but that was right before I got the epidural.  :(  I'm not looking forward to that sensation again this time, but maybe/hopefully being in water will reduce those sensations?  I hope so!  

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#8 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

My c-section was for the pretty common FTP. My OB thought he was asynclitic, and while I pushed until you could see his hair, my time was up and they figured he was never coming out. I don't believe that he wouldn't have come out, but I know that that was not the best position/environment to get that particular baby out. I'm planning a homebirth this time so I don't anticipate any of the "lay back down, this is the only way he'll come out" crap.

I'm seeing a chiropractor this pregnancy so maybe I'll ask her about that pain. It just hadn't occurred to me that that feeling may not be typical until I mentioned it to my midwife at our last appointment and her eyebrows scrunched up!smile.gif

#9 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It was a all over crampy/tighness feeling

They were bad with my daughter 2-3mins apart and strong from the start which lead to me caving for a epidural at 5cm.

With my son it wasn't too bad, i was walking around at 8cm holding on a phone conversation. his birth was pain med free.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#10 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Meh, we figured it was positioning, but since I don't get abdominal menstrual cramps my mw thought it was likely that it was just how I labor as well.  We'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliShanti View Post

Just want to note that I felt my contractions n my back for my entire 1st labor but not at all for my second. So don't worry- this is usually a positioning thing, not a "this is how your body labors". My labors were VERY different from each other.

#11 of 11 Old 08-10-2011, 10:42 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

PP, did you ask your midwife or Dr what could have caused the pubic bone pain?  I did not have any pubic bone pain either.  I had mentrual-like cramps in my stomach, and they went to my back around 5cm but only for a little while, then moved back to my stomach thank god. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page