Using cloth pads postpartum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any one else planning to use cloth pads postpartum?  I used cloth after the first week with my last baby, but this time I'd love to use cloth exclusively.  The disposables are soooooo itchy, yucky, and uncomfortable.  

I can't really justify buying nice ones right now so I printed a bunch of free patterns from online and went to the thrift store and got some fleece, terry cloth and flannel and I'm going to try sewing my own.  We'll see how it works out. I don't have a sewing machine, I do everything by hand.

Anyone else?

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 AM

Sorry, no experience here. I did the same thing... Switched after a week. It was just too much for the first work. I remember even with the depends type stuff having to sit on those waterproof pad things. I did buy a few postpartum pads, but without PUL on them, I found them useless.

If you're going to try, I recommend looking for a pattern with a layer of PUL on the bottom and wide wings.

Good luck!

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 AM

Well I guess I hadn't thought of it, but I do have cloth and don't see why I wouldn't use those!  I have some disposables for emergencies or during washes, but I can imagine that cloth would be SO much more comfortable post-partum, especially with stitches (I didn't tear last time but I don't want to assume I'll be so lucky with this one.)  I bought mine from Skoon organics.  I also have seen underwear with built-in pads.  I LOVE that idea!  No slipping and sliding around of the pad.  Maybe I'll get some of those... I'm sure I could make my own but I don't want to add to my to-do list!  It's already a mile long!  

Let me know how sewing yours goes.  

Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 AM

A bottom layer of PUL is a great idea- before I was pregnant I used cloth pads, and I ALWAYS had problems on heavy flow days.  I bet the layer of PUL would prevent that.

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I have a bunch of cloth pads that I made with flannel on top, hemp in the middle, and windpro fleece on the bottom.  The fleece works great as a liquid repellant.  After my last birth, I used one small package of extra heavy Always with wings and then made the switch.  I'll probably do the same this time as well just because I don't have to worry whether my cloth pads can handle those first two days of really heavy flow.  But after that, ITA, cloth is SO much better in a variety of ways and since I'll be washing diapers all the time, washing the pads is no extra work.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 08-13-2011, 12:56 PM

I almost posted exactly the same thing yesterday!  I'm not sure what I'll do, buying them is really expensive and I'm no seamstress.  Plus, I remember that last time I bled for less than a week and then had some spotting, so I'm not sure it's worth the expense, or the extra laundry...But, it's still on the table, so we'll see.  I definitely find the cloth pads more comfortable....

Old 08-13-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well I finished my first one and it turned out pretty decent.  I used the directions here and the pattern from here that I blew up so it was even bigger.

I added a layer of wool to the core for extra waterproofing. It turned out a little skinnier and taller then I wanted but I dumped a bunch of water on it and the wool and fleece together seem to work really well. I was hoping to not have to buy PUL because I need them to be as cheap as possible.  I will need to buy sew on snaps though, the kind I already had don't work through so many layers.  Oh well.

I'm really excited.  Last time I only had a couple days that were really super heavy, but I used the disposables after that just to use them up and I was miserable.  This time I hope to not need anything but cloth.  I am not worried about extra work, I'll have three in diapers, and we do family cloth anyway so it's no extra effort to toss the pads in the pail.

In fact, we don't even have a trash can in our bathroom, so I think if anything having to set up a trash can and then take it out would be more of a bother.

I'm exclusively hand sewing, so it'll take me awhile to get a stash, but I don't mind, it gives my hands something to do while I hang out with the kids.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I used prefolds last time. I trifolded them and just stuck them in my underwear. Worked great, didn't need any waterproof layer and never leaked. When I changed them I put them in the sink with some cold water and left it there. Next time I used the bathroom I would do a super quick rinse/wring out then toss it in the diaper pail. Super easy and I had no staining.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 08-13-2011, 09:28 PM

I need to revamp my cloth pad stash, so I may invest in some postpartum ones, or just use preemie prefolds. Disposable pads break me out (I'm allergic or sensitive to something in them...maybe the same thing that gives me asthma attacks being around them?), and postpartum time is NOT the time to be dealing with what's essentially an adult form of diaper rash!

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

I've read about using prefolds, but I wouldn't want to stain mine, not like they are perfect, they are about to be used for the third time, but still it would seem weird to me.  A cold soak wouldn't be hard at all if it prevents staining.  Maybe I won't make so many super huge ones....

I agree, postpartum is a terrible time for breaking out down there in a rash!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:47 PM

I plan on using disposable for a few days then switching to cloth (homemade). I just don't have enough pads for those days and I figure I'll be busy enough with other things.

I do plan on using cloth diapers on my baby right from the very beginning this time, though!

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

I've read about using prefolds, but I wouldn't want to stain mine, not like they are perfect, they are about to be used for the third time, but still it would seem weird to me.  A cold soak wouldn't be hard at all if it prevents staining.  Maybe I won't make so many super huge ones....

I agree, postpartum is a terrible time for breaking out down there in a rash!

I rinse mine in the sink when I change them. Holding them upright under the water, the force of the water will push the blood downward until it runs out of the fabric since it's heavier than water. Or getting a moon pot and soaking them bloody side down; again gravity pulls the blood under the water since it's denser.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm planning on using disposables for a bit until the bleeding starts to subside, then switching to my cloth. I love the ones I got from Party In My Pants Pads on clearance.

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykittymomma View Post

I'm planning on using disposables for a bit until the bleeding starts to subside, then switching to my cloth. 

That's what I did - for about a week.  The bleeding was so heavy - I would have needed so many cloth pads.  I prefer the cloth in general but more trouble than it was worth when I was changing every two hours!

I got my cloth from etsy.  I'm not crafty but I like to support crafters. 

Old 08-14-2011, 03:31 PM

I have a small set of purchased cloth pads from awhile back, but I never used enough to wash them all in one load, and don't have a home machine...but now that i'll be cloth diapering, it won't be any extra laundry. It can be a significant investment, but they'll pay for themselves quickly because i'll have periods after pp bleeding. I am going to make my own, along with some diapers, so I won't be paying much more to add to my stash.

as for the "moon pot", can I use any pot? I live in a small apartment, and that may be a good idea to just keep in bathtub when no one's bathing.

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

Old 08-14-2011, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

When I was using the disposables after ds, I was literally leaving a trail of blood everywhere! Even with a pad, underwear, pants, I needed to sit on a chux. Then I walked past the diaper station with that enormous stack of prefolds.. and lightbulb. As soon as I switched to the prefolds after about 24 hours or so (the infant ones) I had NO leaks, and could get away with going longer without changing. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw

User Tag List