Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you! thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

The placenta makes from 125- 200 pills, depending on the size and how much you consume right after birth in a smoothie. You can also add herbs to MAKE it stretch to 200 and help supplement what health needs you find that you need(ie, milk supply, helping with mood, etc). But alot of people take 3 pills a day. So, say if you make 150 pills and take 3 a day, that's 50 days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

Thank you! thumb.gif

No problem. I just found all this info last week, and I get really excited about trying all this stuff. I can't believe I just let the hospital throw away my previous 2 placentas. It made me sad, with how I think of the placenta now.

#33 of 40 Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Just talked with a mw yesterday and I think we're going to hire her!  She does birth photography AND placenta encapsulation!  The photos are free b/c it's her cover since being a hb mw here is illegal and the placenta encapsulation is only $100!!!!   Yay!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#34 of 40 Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 AM

That's great, Jaimee!! biggrinbounce.gif

I talked to my midwife yesterday about the price of placenta encapsulation and she said she'd help me work out a lower fee with the woman she typically works with who does it. So hopefully I can get it for $175 instead of $250. It's still pretty pricey but will save us some money, and I need to remember not to discount how the benefits will be worth it. I hope we can get it for that price!

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#35 of 40 Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 AM

I am considering consumption via capsules because I had the baby blues last time--and I am willing to try anything to avoid it.  I like the idea of this being much more natural than taking anti-depressants--even though I am a little repulsed by what it looks like and what it actually IS. Normally one wouldn't say, "oh, this is from my body so I should eat this!"  LOL 

Anyway, I recovered pretty well last time, but I can't just sleep all day since I have a 5 year old to look after and be available to so I am hoping it will help with energy levels as well.  Not to mention my relationship with my husband is in such a good place I would hate to put such a damper on it by heading down that downward spiral.  Placenta consumption in Traditional Chinese Medicine is what made me more comfortable with the concept, and the idea that it will be cooked and ground up so not only will it not resemble its original state, but it will be sanitary as well.  I'm no vegetarian but raw meat certainly grosses me out.  It's not that I need the whole world to be sanitized or something, but if we are treating it like food it is essentially raw meat so I feel like it ought to be treated as such.  Then again there is sushi, LOL...

What I am curious about is the credentials of someone who would come to your house and prepare it.  I've seen some of the training sites and literally anyone can do this, so what do you really look for?  Basically, it's just a person who is willing to do it whereas I am not, right?  My husband is just very interested in what we should look for and expect.  I wouldn't send away for it, it makes me too uncomfortable thinking about how you wouldn't really know if it was yours! 

P.S.  Kudos to you if you can look at those pictures and just see the beauty of life! 

#36 of 40 Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersbyjasmin View Post

What I am curious about is the credentials of someone who would come to your house and prepare it.  I've seen some of the training sites and literally anyone can do this, so what do you really look for?  Basically, it's just a person who is willing to do it whereas I am not, right?  My husband is just very interested in what we should look for and expect.  I wouldn't send away for it, it makes me too uncomfortable thinking about how you wouldn't really know if it was yours! 

In general I would just look for someone that has done it several times before and usually that means a doula or a midwife.  But I know plenty of people that have had a relative or friend do it as a favor.  Anyone who can steam, slice, and basically follow directions could do it, really, so I'm not too concerned about ability so much as cleanliness.  And again, most that have done it several times have purchased a separate steamer, dehydrator, and grinder for the purpose and I'm sure run them through the dishwasher between batches.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#37 of 40 Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

In general I would just look for someone that has done it several times before and usually that means a doula or a midwife.  But I know plenty of people that have had a relative or friend do it as a favor.  Anyone who can steam, slice, and basically follow directions could do it, really, so I'm not too concerned about ability so much as cleanliness.  And again, most that have done it several times have purchased a separate steamer, dehydrator, and grinder for the purpose and I'm sure run them through the dishwasher between batches.

Agreed, anyone could do it but cleanliness is the main concern.  It's just funny how lax of a thing it really is, not even needing to be an herbalist or something?  Thanks for the response.  =)

#38 of 40 Old 09-02-2011, 08:28 PM

A friend was running a special, so I took advantage of it and put my deposit down! I'm getting capsules AND a tincture. :D

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#39 of 40 Old 09-05-2011, 03:50 PM

I'm doing it.  I'll do a smoothie immediately PP, and then the capsules after.  I'm gonna do it myself, it doesn't look hard, and my husband's on board, said he'd do it himself if I can't.  If a man can gut a deer or clean a fish, he can throw a placenta into a steamer.  :o) 

I don't have a dehydrator though.  Is that a must?  Is there a big difference between using that or just doing it in an oven?  I'll buy one or borrow one if it's truly preferable. 

I have a Nutrimill, so I'm pretty sure it'll be able to handle the grinding part.  :o)

#40 of 40 Old 09-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara-on-the-lake View Post

I'm doing it.  I'll do a smoothie immediately PP, and then the capsules after.  I'm gonna do it myself, it doesn't look hard, and my husband's on board, said he'd do it himself if I can't.  If a man can gut a deer or clean a fish, he can throw a placenta into a steamer.  :o) 

I don't have a dehydrator though.  Is that a must?  Is there a big difference between using that or just doing it in an oven?  I'll buy one or borrow one if it's truly preferable. 

I have a Nutrimill, so I'm pretty sure it'll be able to handle the grinding part.  :o)

No. You just dry the placenta on a cookie sheet in the oven on low heat for 8-10 hours.

sara-on-the-lake likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page