My goodness, the comments! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there have been posts on this before- but I cannot TAKE it anymore! 

Yesterday we went to a local fair, and before even getting out of the car I was dreading people asking me about my pregnancy and making comments like "your so big", "are you sure there is just one?", and "you must be due any day!".  I told my husband I was going to look confused at everyone and tell them I wasn't pregnant.  Unfortunately his hysterical laughter made it impossible for me to keep a straight face.

Sure enough, about 20 complete strangers felt the need to interrogate me despite my attempts to look as unapproachable as possible.  I'm seriously afraid I'm going to punch a stranger.

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#2 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 AM

When I went to labor and delivery for bleeding a couple weeks ago, there was a guy going up to the same floor as I was and he asks "so it's time, eh?" "uhhh..... no, I'm only 24 weeks" Awkward silence on elevator......2whistle.gif

#3 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Don't people think before they speak?

Im also thinking about starting to pat people bellies back when they touch mine.  Just to really make it awkward for BOTH of us instead of just me.

#4 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think people generally have no idea what they're talking about.  People always give me a shocked look when I tell them that I'm not due until Thanksgiving.  It's like you really shouldn't start to show until you're nearly due!  :/  Luckily I've never had a stranger touch my belly.  I must has mastered the "unapproachable" look.  ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

Im also thinking about starting to pat people bellies back when they touch mine.  Just to really make it awkward for BOTH of us instead of just me.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#5 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

I think people generally have no idea what they're talking about.  People always give me a shocked look when I tell them that I'm not due until Thanksgiving.  It's like you really shouldn't start to show until you're nearly due!  :/  Luckily I've never had a stranger touch my belly.  I must has mastered the "unapproachable" look.  ;)

haha "The look"! I mastered that when I was starting school back up in my junior year of high school at 5 and a half months pregnant.

#6 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 10:33 AM

I can't believe people- people that KNOW me and that I see on a regular basis, people who KNOW the details of my pregnancy- still joke about their being "two in there".  They saw the u/s pics.  Do they think there's seriously a baby hiding in there after that?  Come on.  I don't feel like I'm all that large- I look at photos from my last pregnancy or from women who are father along and I know I still have a long way to go.  

And during my last pregnancy my FIL told me that I looked like I was gaining weight IN MY SHOULDERS.  WTH?  I'm not training to be a linebacker, I'm growing a baby in my BELLY.  The thing was, I hardly gained any weight last pregnancy and certainly carried it all in my belly. I don't know what he was talking about, but he thought he was complimenting me by saying it.  When I said I was offended, he said "Oh but you're supposed to gain weight to bear the weight of the child".  No kidding, but IN MY SHOULDERS?!  Who says that?

#7 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Yesterday a woman at church told me "you've certainly flowered" um gee thanks?  I just laughed and said "yeah, baby had a growth spurt" cause I was exhausted and hungry all last week and now my regular shirts are gapping at the waist from my skirts, but still, you don't need to point it out!

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#8 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

haha "The look"! I mastered that when I was starting school back up in my junior year of high school at 5 and a half months pregnant.

I know for a fact that I don't look friendly or approachable!  I think people think pregnancy trumps mean face. 

My MIL said yesterday when somebody came up and touched my belly, she was worried I was going to hit them!  It turned out to be somebody I knew and I was not bothered by it at all...but still...

#9 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 12:49 PM

Weird, last pregnancy I was getting all those comments, but this time not so much, and I'm just as big if not bigger! I think people are surprised that I'm due in Nov. because it seem WAY further away than just three months. I think people still think we're at the beginning of summer or something.

#10 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

DDCC to just cheer you up with this image:

thru out my pregnancy last year if anyone rubbed or patted my belly, i casually responded my rubbing or patting their boobs! (there are usually women) i would stop when they did!!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 PM

I definitely work on the unapproachable look and have not had strangers touch my belly last pregnancy or this one.  Family members and some friends have done some belly rubbing that I was not a fan of, and rubbing their belly in response usually solved that!  I am definitely getting more comments this time, but the ones that make me worried about punching people is about the fact that this is baby #2 and that we have a toddler (ie- "you're really going to have your hands full soon," etc.).  I actually dread going out with my son and my baby bump because I can't stand all the comments and then the inevitable parenting/birth spacing/sibling advice.

Hearing you mamas vent helps to know that these stupid people are everywhere, and they really should think more before they speak! 

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

#12 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 01:21 PM

I totally agree with this. I think once school starts back and it starts to cool down, people will realize that November really isn't THAT far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's Mama View Post

Weird, last pregnancy I was getting all those comments, but this time not so much, and I'm just as big if not bigger! I think people are surprised that I'm due in Nov. because it seem WAY further away than just three months. I think people still think we're at the beginning of summer or something.

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#13 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 01:33 PM

I just get people saying how much we (especially DH) must want this one to FINALLY be a boy, and if this is the last one. I've taken to DH's answer that we're going to keep going until we have a new van and a TLC show. ;)

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#14 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I generally reply that we always planned on having 2 or 12, so since this is #3 we're far from being done!  ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamama View Post

I just get people saying how much we (especially DH) must want this one to FINALLY be a boy, and if this is the last one. I've taken to DH's answer that we're going to keep going until we have a new van and a TLC show. ;)

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#15 of 20 Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM

DDCC - I'm due in February, but I've already came up with my response to "You're so big!" - I'm going to say "Thanks, you look like you're getting fat too!" Seriously, why do people think its okay to say that to someone?!

I'm seriously going to end up on the news for having decked an old lady for touching my belly! I'm feeling feisty already and I hate people I don't know touching me at all. Oh dear, this is going to be a long 6 more months!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#16 of 20 Old 08-16-2011, 05:54 AM

I honestly don't know how celebrities do it. I would hide away after finding out I was pregnant if I were famous. All the comments, ALL over magazines and internet about how huge you are and "gosh I hope she snaps right back, she had a nice body pre-baby". The pressure would KILL me!

#17 of 20 Old 08-16-2011, 06:08 AM

I've been complaining about this the last couple of weeks. I can't go anywhere without getting "So, when are you due?" or "How much longer do you have now?" When I tell them I'm not due until the beginning of November they just say "Ohhhh...." and stare at my belly like they just can't believe it will still get bigger. Yes, people, thank you for reminding me that I have another 3 months to go! And I just started a new job, so I'm getting it all the freaking time now. It was better when I just stayed at home all day and didn't see people from the outside world, lol!

I don't get random people touching my belly though. I don't think I could tolerate that.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#18 of 20 Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I just read this and I had to post it here:  http://www.rantsfrommommyland.com/2011/08/domestic-enemies-of-pregnant-mom.html

Totally fits!

#19 of 20 Old 08-16-2011, 10:44 AM

Ash, this is SOOO great! I love it! I read it in another forum somewhere a while ago.

#20 of 20 Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 AM

I had the opposite the other day at church, an older lady walked up to me and said: "I heard you are pregnant?"  I said yeah, 27 weeks and a few days.  Her eyes got all wide and she said, well you sure aren't showing at all.  I explained that our baby is due in the middle of November, and she replied, that I was only 4 months along?  I said, No I am more than 6 months along already .... ugh.  After church I was talking to my hubby and told him about the conversation.  I felt kinda offended because I LOOK pregnant.  Did she just think that I was getting fatter and fatter around my middle? irked.gif  oi ... I know that I haven't gained a pound of weight to make me look pregnant everywhere else but for crying out loud, I have a pretty round tummy that speaks for itself, how can you not tell I am pregnant if you see me week after week? 

I guess I should be lucky that I haven't been asked most of the questions that you ladies have been bothered with.  I can see how it can be annoying.

luxlove.gif

http://novelstudies.org - My hubby's website for affordable novel-studies for kids.

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page