Anyone else getting really excited about the birth already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-15-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am!  I can't get over how positive I feel about everything.  It's wonderful!  I was filling out a questionnaire for my midwives today and when it asked what my fears and concerns were surrounding birth, I couldn't think of any. :)  I just have this calm assuredness that everything's going to be fine.  And I'm not being unrealistic.  My first birth was long and painful with a posterior baby (who also had a nuchal arm) and my second was a precipitous hospital birth where I was dragged out of a labor tub and down the hall to my room dripping while I was pushing.  I know birth doesn't always go the way you expect it to.

I had a midwife appointment at the birth center today (I'm going to give birth at home, though) and all 3 rooms were filled with women in labor.  The energy in the building was fantastic!!!  I loved it.  I wanted to just sit in the hallway all day and absorb it.  Makes me wish I was a doula so I could be around women giving birth all the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 PM

It's awesome that you feel that way.  I go back and forth.  I have had one previous birth.  Not easy by any means but no complications, drug-free in the hospital.  I so vividly remember what it felt like just after he came out.  I imagine that's what really good drugs feel like. When my son was 6 months old I wanted another one just to have the experience of birthing again.  But then he became mobile and we tabled that idea for awhile! Now he is 2.5 and I am expecting again. I am beyond excited when I think about the moment of birth and the hours after, but I sometimes dread the actual labor.  But I know this will probably be my last, and I know I can do it once I get in the zone, so I am not really afraid.  I also know the payoff wouldn't be nearly as profound without all that hard work.  I am taking a Bradley refresher class next month and I hope that will help me get my head in the game a little more.  Plus I am excited to be at a birth center this time instead of the hospital.

#3 of 15 Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 PM

I've been really excited for a while, too.  Oh I wish I could be around a birthing woman- that would be amazing!  I'm so excited and it feels kind of silly to say so (most people get scared about labor, especially unmedicated labor).  With my DS1 I was nervous and it was all so new and unknown, but now I know I can do it and I have faith in my body.  Can't wait!

#4 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 02:17 AM

I'm VERY excited for this birth! Mainly because birthing means the SPD and the hyperemesis go away! LOL Unmedicated birth is nothing after a pregnancy with a lot of pain. I need an epidural for the SPD, and then have it taken out for the brith. ;) 

Although I do feel like this labor will be long compared to my others. No clue why, as my labors have gotten dramatically shorter (9 hrs w/6 active for DD1, 6 hrs w/3 active for DD2, and 2hrs 10 minutes total w/DD3 from 1st contraction to her being born) each time! My BFF had a baby last month and her labor was longer than all 3 of mine put together! That being said, I'm okay with a little bit longer labor, particularly if I happen to start labor when DH is at work! With my track record, if I went into labor and he was working at a store further out west, there's a chance he could miss the birth!

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#5 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm very excited about this birth.  My first birth i caved at 5cm for the epidural her labor from first contractions til birth was 36hours. My son's birth i made it a goal to go med free, his birth from first contraction til birth was 17 hours.  I'm excited to see how this labor/birth pans out since I've seen people mention the 3rd birth is a wild card.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#6 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Yup, I can't wait to meet this new little girl!  I've had 2 pretty good homebirths so far, so hopefully things will go the same this time.  While both of my labors have been about 27 hours long, they were easy and manageable until the end (transition).  I know my body can do it and I love the end result!  :)

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#7 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 AM

It is so good to hear everyone's excitement.  I go back and forth as well.  Last time (my first), I was very calm and positive about the whole thing and had a great birth.  My doula and nurse-midwives told me it would be time to go to the hospital (planned natural hospital birth) when I felt like I couldn't take it anymore... and I never hit that point.  Don't get be wrong, I was in labor for 30 hours and it was hard work, but I was coping.  We scrambled to get to the hospital when I felt like pushing and baby was born 3 contractions after arrival!  The car ride I do not wish to repeat and also know that I will just never want to go to the hospital so everyone is glad that we are planning a homebirth this time. 

I am a little more nervous this time.  Can I have two perfect and beautiful babies?  Can the birth go as well again?  How will I handle having people in my house during the labor, since last time I wanted nobody around and even sent my husband to bed until it was time to have the baby? 

I need to get back into my yoga and meditation on a more regular basis!  So much harder to commit the time with a 2-year-old and a full-time job, but I see how much it helps to practice being calm.

I love reading all of your excitement, it definitely helps me to remember the hormonal rush of a natural birth and the positive birth stories I need to surround myself with.

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

#8 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 AM

I definitely feel this way from time to time.  I discussed it with my MW (love those hour-long appts, it's like therapy and prenatal care in one! Hah!) and she said it is perfectly normal to feel this way for second or subsequent pregnancies.  I think I feel like "what are the odds?" because statistically-speaking, it would seem the risk of something happening would increase over time as there are more pregnancies, deliveries, etc.  (I worried more about m/c this time too, despite not having a history of loss, since I know that 25% of pregnancies end in m/c before 12 weeks.  It seemed to me that with one healthy pregnancy, the chances of a m/c were no longer 1/4 but actually higher.... you know?)  Anyway, I feel better knowing it is a normal concern and not intuition.  Honestly, my intuition is telling me that it is going to be a beautiful birth.  I've been trying to avoid negative birth stories, especially out-of-hospital stories that end badly- and trying to staying out of homebirth vs. hospital debates.  It really gets to me, and I start to get paranoid.  But I trust my MW's ability to troubleshoot during labor and delivery, and I trust my body and my instincts- if I ever felt during labor that something was not quite right, I'd definitely make my way to the hospital.

I am seriously so excited for when we all start birthing our November babes!  It's going to be so great, and I'm glad I've found this community for this pregnancy because I think reading birth stories and seeing photos of all of your babies will really amp me up for my birth.  Yay! biggrinbounce.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabelle View Post

I am a little more nervous this time.  Can I have two perfect and beautiful babies?  Can the birth go as well again?  How will I handle having people in my house during the labor, since last time I wanted nobody around and even sent my husband to bed until it was time to have the baby? 

#9 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 AM

I wish I was excited. :( My first birth was great... like a few of you said, it was totally manageable. I felt like I could do anything after that one. My second was so tough. It was only 4 hours, but I seriously felt like I was going to die the whole time. (I mean from the pain, no actual problems!) I couldn't manage the pain at all. I was just screaming and miserable. I so do not want to experience that again. I just feel like there isn't much I can do. All my preparation (relaxation, Bradley class, etc) were excellent for birth #1. I don't think anything could have helped with #2. So I am anxious. I'm trying not to fear the birth because I know that will make things worse. As soon as I can afford it, I'm ordering the HypnoBabies self-study program. I'm trying to relax and think positively.

What gets me is that there is really no option if I have another birth #2. Even if I was at the hospital and wanted pain meds, there wouldn't be enough time. As soon as my water broke and labor started, I was at 8cm. Right now the best I can muster is, "Oh well, it's only 4 hours. I can stand anything for 4 hours, I guess." I need to get my mind right!!

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#10 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 AM

I'm really excited, because this will be my first attempt at a UC, and I'm looking forward to being free of being strapped down by IV's, monitors, blood pressure cuff, etc. I've been having dreams of peaceful labor, and I hope it's going to be true.

SoCaliMommy likes this.
#11 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 02:52 PM

I CAN'T WAIT!!! I talk about it every day... I know that counting down the days till my due date just makes the pregnancy go by slower, but I can't help but focus on it all the time. I want to meet our baby! Oy. We watched a video of a natural childbirth at our childbirth ed class last night and it made me really nervous when the baby crowned... That's the part I'm scared of since I've never birthed a baby before. But other than that, I'm just so excited, I feel like I'm daydreaming about it all the time! I'm looking forward to experiencing everything about the birth. We're doing a home birth too, so I'm looking forward to that. I sure hope I remember to catch my husband's face when the baby comes out. Everyone says that seeing his face with adoration and love for the baby is one of the most exciting moments. smile.gif

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#12 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 03:15 PM

I am counting down the days too. Although, I'm tacking on an extra 5 days, because I have a feeling he may be late. If I keep a "late" mindset, he might come on time or a day or so early. lol

#13 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM

I'm excited too! I just have a LONG list of "To Do"s and hope they get done so I'm not in a hurry of course, but as my 3rd homebirth, I'm looking forward to it. The only thing I need to get over is if it's not as perfect as my last birth was.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#14 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 PM

And I do get my fix of birth though, being a doula & birth photographer.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#15 of 15 Old 08-19-2011, 11:16 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas View Post

I am!  I can't get over how positive I feel about everything.  It's wonderful!  I was filling out a questionnaire for my midwives today and when it asked what my fears and concerns were surrounding birth, I couldn't think of any. :)  I just have this calm assuredness that everything's going to be fine.  And I'm not being unrealistic.

I still do not know why, but this is how I felt with my first birth!  I am getting excited for this one and the other day I was searching and finding what postpartum healing stuff I wanted, it was pretty fun.  Some stuff has come up in the last few days that has got me down so I am glad I've got a little time left, but in my head I am getting more and more anxious and trying to imagine what my labor and birth will be like!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page