Rant: stop ignoring my pain! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been in increasingly bad pain for the last three weeks.  It started out just feeling sore, like I had been kicked in the crotch repeatedly.  Then it progressed to sharp stabbing pains in my vagina when I sit for too long, walk, stand on one leg, and going up stairs is next to impossible.  I've been to my midwives three times now.  The first time the speculum made me bleed, so I was in L&D for hours getting monitored.  After a while I was told the baby is fine and sent home with a "try to relax, you should be fine."  The pain got worse, so I went back in and was told this type of pain is normal, all pregnant women feel it, I should just try to go easy.  Last night I was in tears after work, and I could barely get home.  The walk seemed like it took ages.  We called my midwife on call who just explained that this is normal, my pubic bone is stretching, and all women feel it.  It's just one of the "joys" of pregnancy and I should just try to push through it.

I'm finding it very hard to believe that's true.  I'm no stranger to pain.  I played contact sports for years, have torn ligaments and dislocated joints.  I've had broken bones.  I've suffered from migraines all my life.  I'm not "uncomfortable."  I'm in a state of constant mild and frequent excruciating pain.  And I feel like I'm being treated like some hyper-sensitive hysterical first time mom.  I'm not worried about my baby.  I feel him all the time.  He's been checked a million times.  I know he's fine.  And now I'm being made to feel selfish because *I* don't feel fine.  And I feel like screaming "I'm more than just my baby.  It's great my baby is fine. Now please take care of ME."  I don't really know what to do at this point.  I've called in sick so many days because I can barely walk that I'm afraid I'm going to lose my job.  I just want someone to take me seriously.

#2 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I'm so sorry you've been in so much pain and no one seems to care or have suggestions for you.  It sounds like SPD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphysis_pubis_dysfunction.  There are several other DDC members who are dealing with this right now, too.  Often there are steps you can take to alleviate the pain some including MPT, chiropractic therapy, certain exercises for the pelvic floor, support bands, etc.  If you do a search in this forum and the I'm Pregnant forum I'm sure you'll find lots of information about it and some things to try.

I, fortunately, do not get SPD, but I do get dislocated ribs and with my first pregnancy, I also had a dislocated tailbone.  Often pregnancy is not fun and games and it can be hard when others brush off your issues and judge you for not viewing pregnancy as rainbows and butterflies.

Good luck!  hug2.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 AM

I had mild SPD with my 2nd and the only way to deal with it was to REALLY take it easy do pelvic floor exercises and wear a band like Jaimee said. ((((hugs)))) to you!

#4 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you!  I just wish I could convey to my midwives that I'm not a cry baby.  I'm actually in a lot of pain.  And I don't like being made to feel selfish because I'm worried about me in addition to my baby.  Of course baby comes first.  But I matter too, dangit!

#5 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 AM

Do you take tylenol or anything for the pain? It'll help the pain a bit. You don't think that your midwives just think that you want a prescription for pain meds do you? I've been written off for pain because of that before.

#6 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

I've taken Tylenol.  It does nothing for me.  I haven't asked for a prescription and am not really interested in that route.  If the pain gets worse, maybe, but the idea makes me really uncomfortable.  But maybe that's what they suspect.  I wanted 1. some suggestions on what can be done to minimize the pain and 2. if nothing can be done, a note for my work that I either have to work from home or some accommodations have to be made at work because I'm in agony by the end of the day.  And I got dismissed with "every pregnant woman goes through this."  

#7 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 09:06 AM

I'm sorry. Some midwives are alot tougher than others. That really sucks.

#8 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 AM

We believe you!  hug2.gif I have just mild SPD where the left side of my crotch hurts when I am holding my 2 year old, especially bending down to put him on the toilet at night. Now the giant varicose vein I have on my vulva does not help either. I sympathize with you so much!  Mine hurts a little for a minute, you must be in agony.

Now, the serious pain I've gone through before in previous pregnancies has been my sciatic nerve.  Sometimes I can't walk because of that, and it has just come back.  I'm very afraid it will get worse soon. A chiropractor does help a lot with that, and I imagine chiro work could do a lot with SPD too.  I would try to find one who specifically has experience in aligning the pregnant pelvis.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#9 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you have PSD, it does HURT.  Some days it might be mild and other days you may hardly be able to walk, put on pants or roll over in bed.  My chiropractor helps me some.   It definitely helps to keep my back in line, but doesn't alleviate all of the PSD (I go every 2 weeks anyway).  I tried to wear a support belt, but it was so uncomfortable that I gave up quickly.  It also helps me if I take it really easy.  If I over-do any physical activity I will pay for it for days. 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#10 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

It's so nice to be believed!  DH called the midwives and pulled the Shirley MacClaine in Terms of Endearment.  He was very firm and explained that there is no way this is "normal" and someone needs to do something.  So now I have a referral to a physical therapy group that specializes in issues related to pregnancy, so I'm hopeful.  And I'm grateful to my husband.  Though definitely irritated that it took my man calling and getting gruff and grumpy for them to pay attention to me.  They're midwives!!  

#11 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post

We believe you!  hug2.gif I have just mild SPD where the left side of my crotch hurts when I am holding my 2 year old, especially bending down to put him on the toilet at night.  I sympathize with you so much!  Mine hurts a little for a minute, you must be in agony.

Now the serious pain I've gone through before in previous pregnancies has been my sciatic nerve.  Sometimes I can't walk because of that, and it has just come back.  I'm very afraid it will get worse soon. A chiropractor does help a lot with that, and I imagine chiro work could do a lot with SPD too.  I would try to find one who specifically has experience in aligning the pregnant pelvis.

I'm so sorry your sciatic nerve pain has come back.  Is it possible it's just fleeting?  Or is it likely to last until birth?  I hope you feel better!

#12 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablemec View Post

It's so nice to be believed!  DH called the midwives and pulled the Shirley MacClaine in Terms of Endearment.  He was very firm and explained that there is no way this is "normal" and someone needs to do something.  So now I have a referral to a physical therapy group that specializes in issues related to pregnancy, so I'm hopeful.  And I'm grateful to my husband.  Though definitely irritated that it took my man calling and getting gruff and grumpy for them to pay attention to me.  They're midwives!!  

That is a little ridiculous that they will listen to him but not to you! On the upside, it should be easy to get a note from the PT group because they'll likely be way more familiar w/how this can impact your life & work. And I don't know how it works everywhere else, but at my work the FMLA leave covers both before & after you have your baby - as in 12 weeks of covered off time before birth & 12 weeks after birth. Not that anyone could afford to take that much time off! So if you do get a note, see if you can have HR do it as FMLA leave when you work half days or just a few days a week.

I really hope this gets better for you soon!

#13 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Yep, sounds like SPD. (((((())))) My doctor, fwiw, said he has had women intermitently (sp?) use Aleve (naproxen) throughout their pregnancies to treat the pain as needed for 30 years with no ill effects. I also wound up with vicodin for the breakthrough pain. After taking them together at bedtime last night, I woke up this morning pain free for the first time in months.

Some tips to try when your care provider isn't so, erm, caring: use a ring sling, long scarf, or rebozo sling tied TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT around the pelvic bones. It'll totally cut your butt in half and look funny, but it helps hold the pubic joint stable so it can't move around. The bottom of a maternity support belt worn lower than recommended can do the same thing under clothing. Chiropractic CAN help, but unless you find the rare one that actually adjust the pubic bone itself, I've found it's effects to be minimal and more secondary (like it relieves the hip pain that can happen from babying the pubic joint). Put a plastic bag under you in the car and rotate yourself in and out rather than stepping in and out. Keeping the legs together above the knees as much as you can. Turning in bed do it with legs together, and if necessary have your partner hold your hips together while you turn. Skirts are your friend since you don't step into them like pants. GGoing commando isn't just for "bad girls" anymore. ;) Hot baths can help and as long as you don't make yourself uncomfortably hot, they're safe for baby. Some people suggest physical therapy, I've never done it personally. 

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#14 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamama View Post

Yep, sounds like SPD. (((((())))) My doctor, fwiw, said he has had women intermitently (sp?) use Aleve (naproxen) throughout their pregnancies to treat the pain as needed for 30 years with no ill effects. I also wound up with vicodin for the breakthrough pain. After taking them together at bedtime last night, I woke up this morning pain free for the first time in months.

Some tips to try when your care provider isn't so, erm, caring: use a ring sling, long scarf, or rebozo sling tied TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT around the pelvic bones. It'll totally cut your butt in half and look funny, but it helps hold the pubic joint stable so it can't move around. The bottom of a maternity support belt worn lower than recommended can do the same thing under clothing. Chiropractic CAN help, but unless you find the rare one that actually adjust the pubic bone itself, I've found it's effects to be minimal and more secondary (like it relieves the hip pain that can happen from babying the pubic joint). Put a plastic bag under you in the car and rotate yourself in and out rather than stepping in and out. Keeping the legs together above the knees as much as you can. Turning in bed do it with legs together, and if necessary have your partner hold your hips together while you turn. Skirts are your friend since you don't step into them like pants. GGoing commando isn't just for "bad girls" anymore. ;) Hot baths can help and as long as you don't make yourself uncomfortably hot, they're safe for baby. Some people suggest physical therapy, I've never done it personally. 

So do you just go about your daily life as is?  I can't imagine continuing work if this keeps going on.  I feel like a baby because I have a desk job, but I work in a highly stressful, brain intensive job from 8-12 hours a day, and I cannot imagine continuing to do that feeling like this.  I've called in sick a bunch, but they're going to want to put me on short term disability if this keeps going, and I'm wondering if people just tend to live with this, would it even qualify for short term disability?

#15 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablemec View Post

So do you just go about your daily life as is?  I can't imagine continuing work if this keeps going on.  I feel like a baby because I have a desk job, but I work in a highly stressful, brain intensive job from 8-12 hours a day, and I cannot imagine continuing to do that feeling like this.  I've called in sick a bunch, but they're going to want to put me on short term disability if this keeps going, and I'm wondering if people just tend to live with this, would it even qualify for short term disability?

I've been lucky enough that I've been at home for each of my pregnancies, so I haven't had to worry about work. This last pregnancy (when it was the worst, and I didn't seek help from the doctor and my midwife was/is an underground DEM, so she could only give me the same tips I knew of) was the worst. There were many days when I could barely get out of bed. My oldest was great at making peanut butter sandwiches, and we had a snack station and my laptop w/DVDs set up in my room so the girls and I could have "camp out" days in mama's bed. DH used to have a video on his phone of DD2 doing something cute, but in it I walked past. It was the night before DD3 was born, and I couldn't believe later how I looked walking. I walked in the same manner as my severely arthritic grandmother after she'd broken her hip and went through rehab being told she'd never walk more than from her kitchen to the living room again. :/

Can you bring an exercise ball to sit on instead of your desk chair? I am picking up a new one today because it really does help to sit on it versus regular furniture. But, yes, a lot of people do wind up just going on with life as is. I think the lack of compassion and seeking to find a good treatment protocol for women with SPD is one of the biggest crocks in maternity care (but with the state of it in our country, it isn't surprising). I hate to say it, but if your midwives aren't taking you seriously, you may ask to see an OB within their practice (if they have one) for this issue and continue to see them for prenatals. I've told DH that if it gets worse than it did with DD3 this time, and I am seriously debilitated, I may talk to my Dr about medical induction. Because to me, it would be a justified reasoning. Especially with kids to take care of. And this is from someone who is currently planning to UC! This is, unfortunately, one of those instances where you have to really advocate for yourself with the providers because many of them are SO inexperienced with SPD and seem to be more inclined to cast your pain aside rather than educate themselves and admit they may really not know all there is to know about something.

This website has a LOT of great information:

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#16 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Do you sit in a desk chair at all? Maybe you could sit on a yoga ball?

#17 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM

DDCC: I had pretty severe SPD with my daughter and it's starting up now again at 7 weeks. I also got similar callous treatment by medical professionals and friends. It sucks, it's not normal, and it's why this is my last pregnancy. I found chiropractic helped a lot.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#18 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

Do you sit in a desk chair at all? Maybe you could sit on a yoga ball?

I often sit on a yoga ball.  It's definitely better than sitting in a regular desk chair.  But I'm often in meetings in a boss's office, or a conference room, and it's difficult.  And what's more difficult is walking.  It sounds weird, I know, but I walk like my arthritic grandmother who has two fake hips.  It takes me forever to go anywhere.  For that reason I've been hydrating probably less than I should because getting to the bathroom at my office takes forever!

#19 of 27 Old 08-17-2011, 12:30 PM

You POOR thing! I am so glad I didn't have to work when I was pregnant with my DD. We did have stairs though and our bed sat high. I literally used to lean on the edge of the bed fall back on it and try to painlessly roll to wear I had to lay. lol Try doing that with a 34 week tummy. It was quite a sight.

#20 of 27 Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 AM

I had an enormous amount of pain and trauma in my pelvis and tailbone and I'm seeing a chiropractor who specializes in prenatal chiro care and it has been completely magic. I don't know how I ever lived without this woman and she is working with me at a reduced price because I'm paying out of pocket.

mama to Fox Elijah 10/20/10-10/27/10 candle.gif and Raven Audrey 11/13/11

#21 of 27 Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 AM

I had an enormous amount of pain and trauma in my pelvis and tailbone and I'm seeing a chiropractor who specializes in prenatal chiro care and it has been completely magic. I don't know how I ever lived without this woman and she is working with me at a reduced price because I'm paying out of pocket.

mama to Fox Elijah 10/20/10-10/27/10 candle.gif and Raven Audrey 11/13/11

#22 of 27 Old 08-18-2011, 04:25 PM

This is so frustrating, I know - the dr. I was seeing with DD's pregnancy totally brushed it off.  My midwife, thankfully, knew about SPD and recommended I see a chiropractor and it really did help.  I'm also convinced that having everything in line made for easier pushing (25 easy minutes to get DD out!)

Before the chiro, there were days I could barely walk to the bathroom or lift my leg to put on a shoe.  Sitting in a hard chair was agony. It is definitely not normal.

This pregnancy it is definitely back but hasn't gotten as bad yet - probably because I am home with DD and able to take it easy/sit in comfortable places.  I am also trying to stand and walk straight, and sleep with a pillow between my knees.

Nothing worse than having to pee/check on a toddler 20 times a night and having it take you 5 minutes to roll over and hoist yourself out of bed each time.  Ugh, I feel like I'm 90 years old.  

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#23 of 27 Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 AM

CHiropractor. Weekly. It helps a lot. Also, sleep with a pillow between your knees/thighs?

#24 of 27 Old 08-19-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightgoddess View Post

CHiropractor. Weekly. It helps a lot. Also, sleep with a pillow between your knees/thighs?

THIS! ^^ Get a body pillow, so that a regular pillow won't just slip off of the bed or get lost in the covers somewhere.

#25 of 27 Old 08-19-2011, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yup, I love my Snoogle!  It's like sleeping with a third person, but so worth the hassle.  Yes, I have to wake up to adjust it and roll over, but I have to do that anyway (pain from psd). 

I love going to the chiro too, it helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

THIS! ^^ Get a body pillow, so that a regular pillow won't just slip off of the bed or get lost in the covers somewhere.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#26 of 27 Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

I started going to PT this week, and am hopeful it will help.  So far, though, I'm feeling worse!  I have done PT for sports injuries before, though, so I know it's typical for it to get worse before it gets better.  I've also taken some time off work and my midwife agreed to fill out my short term disability paperwork.  Hopefully the insurance company will approve the claim, given that I can't walk or sit or stand without pain, but I know it's not in their best interests to approve it, so we'll see.

#27 of 27 Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 PM

Crossing my fingers PT works for ya! I know I went to the chiro for the first time in forever this past Monday, and Monday night the pain was SO bad! Then I was pain free Tuesday and half of Wednesday. So not too shabby. I got wind of a chiro that takes my insurance and may possibly be trained in doing pubic bone adjustments! She's 40 miles away, but DH and I decided that it would be worth the financial aspect of making that drive weekly for me to get some real relief. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page