I'm worried I overheated my baby! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, this sounds so dumb when I talk about it but I'm seriously worried that I cooked my baby's brain or something! I had super bad sciatic pain last night and laid down w/a heating pad on my butt and I woke up an hour and a half later and had rolled to my back so the heating pad had been on my lower left abdomen for who knows how long! My stomach was hot on that side though. I went to the bathroom and splashed cold water on it and it cooled down fast, but I'm still worried that I've raised my uterus' temperature and now my baby is going to have brain damage or something.

#2 of 4 Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

((HUGS)) mama!  I'm sure everything is fine.  A heating pad applies heat to just a small area of your total body and your body does a very good job of regulating its internal temperature so that baby (and you!) are safe.  Overheating your body is more of a concern during the first trimester when you want to avoid raising your core body temp over 101 degrees.  After that, there is concern if your core body temp goes over 102 degrees.  A hot tub set around 104 degrees can heat your body past that point in just 10-20 minutes, but that's when you're fully submerged and I doubt your heating pad was at 104 degrees!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 4 Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance! My midwife called me back and said the baby was probably thinking how nice it was :) And my husband told me they call it an "oven" for a reason. So... yeah, just totally overreacting! I think I'm stressed out and tired from this move and extra easy to get freaked out.

#4 of 4 Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM

So glad to hear the midwife was able to reassure you.  I'm sure you were totally freaked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's Mama View Post

Thanks for the reassurance! My midwife called me back and said the baby was probably thinking how nice it was :) And my husband told me they call it an "oven" for a reason. So... yeah, just totally overreacting! I think I'm stressed out and tired from this move and extra easy to get freaked out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page