Mothering Forum banner

When is Everyone Taking Maternity Leave?

2K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  meb2 
#1 ·
Last pregnancy I worked until 41w4d. I kept going to work because I honestly thought I would be going into labor earlier, and when he hadn't come by then, I took off & then had an induction at 42 weeks. This time I plan on taking off WAY earlier, like 38 weeks, but I can't shake the feeling that I don't deserve to be at home that early, even though I'm so tired this pregnancy and work is just really draining me. I really feel like last time working so long kept me from getting mentally prepared to have that baby.

When are other people planning on taking leave?

#2 ·
I just found out yesterday that I am getting maternity leave. I just started a new job last week and am technically working part time hours, only 8-3 on MWF (it's a teaching job, so I've actually been working a ton more than that). They're giving me 6 weeks off at 50% of my pay.

As for when I'll take off... I haven't talked it over with my boss yet. I feel like I've overwhelmed him in the last week with all my baby/maternity/pregnancy stuff, so I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before bringing it up. I'm thinking I'll work up until my due date, which is over a weekend. So I'll finish off working a full week with my kiddos and turn them over to a sub. I teach 3 year olds, so I imagine I'll be pretty physically exhausted by then. Plus, it'd be easier to plan out my lesson plans for a sub if I know a for sure date I'll stop working. And I went overdue with my first, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this one stays in at least until her due date. If I take off that week, my 6 weeks gets me to the week they get out for Christmas break. So my 6 weeks off will really turn into 8 weeks off with the break in there and I'll return after the new year.

#3 ·
I'm planning to work right up to the birth. We'll see how I feel about that plan as it gets even closer but I can't shake the feeling that taking off earlier would deprive me of days with him after he gets here. Although if the current level of stress doesn't decrease I may have to reevaluate that plan.

#4 ·
I am with you, Sasha's Mom. Last time I pretty much worked until I went into labor (started feeling really early signals to slow down about 12 hours before any contractions), my son was born 1 day before his due date. This time I am thinking that I would like to take off a little earlier as I am feeling more exhausted, but like chocopais I feel like I would be shortchanging myself on time off after the baby arrives. I also think deep down I also feel like I don't deserve it or don't really need it or something. Right now I am planning on working until the 18th, which is 5 days before the due date. My sister's first was 2 weeks early and her second was 5 days late, it always makes me laugh at how hard it is to plan all of this out exactly!

I hate the American work ethic! Taking time off is just not taken lightly and maybe even slightly frowned upon... even when you're about to have a baby! It's such a special time in our lives, and we are thinking this will be our last baby so I don't want to push to hard and have any regrets or be too stressed out. I am thankful that the due date is close to the holiday season when many people are taking weeks off, and that my husband will be taking 6 weeks off as soon as the baby is born so we can bond as a bigger family!

Hugs to you pregnant and working mamas, this is tough stuff.

#6 ·
No piad leave for me--I am going to have to work up until baaby for financial reasons. If I take off any earlier, I will run out of money and really will have less time with baby. I will hopefully keep getting more massage clients, and maybe I can talk to one of my colleagues about being on standby close to my due date

#7 ·
I work from home (very minimal hours) this time, so I'll be working up until when I have the baby. I am taking 4 weeks which should take me up to Christmas, plus an additional 2 weeks if I want. I can take however much time that I want really, I just need to let my employer know how it's going. It's unpaid, which is fine since I don't work enough to be paid enough to make a difference anyway. for DS1 I worked until 2 weeks before my due date, but then my son was 1.5 weeks late so I was off for 3.5 weeks and it was WRETCHED. I was so bored! I liked having some time to prepare but it ended up being far too long. Ugh. This time I'll be planning all sorts of date nights and outings during my due month so that I am occupied. Hubby will be working up until I deliver as well, then taking 1 week unpaid, 1 week paid, and going back 4 days a week with the 5th day paid for 4 weeks. I'm excited about that since he had to go back to work one day after we got home from the hospital for DS1.

#8 ·
I'm due the 8th, so I thought I would just take off after Halloween but since Halloween is a Monday I'm thinking I will take that off, too.

I fully expect to have the baby in the week after Halloween. And my last labor was so fast I would be really stressed if I went into labor at work.

I'm planning to go back to work part time at the new year. Totally unpaid.

#9 ·
I'm one of those Canadians who must be hated on these boards... As I get a year's maternity leave. I'm due the 21st but I think the 16 th is more accurate (and my 20 week u/s agreed) so I'm thinking of working up until the 4th. I won't even go into the details of what I'm paid on leave - I'm constantly shocked and disappointed by the other leave details I read about.

#10 ·
Oh Canada! Love it. If we moved somewhere it would be to Vancouver, B.C. (we're currently in Portland, OR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHin2002 View Post

I'm one of those Canadians who must be hated on these boards... As I get a year's maternity leave. I'm due the 21st but I think the 16 th is more accurate (and my 20 week u/s agreed) so I'm thinking of working up until the 4th. I won't even go into the details of what I'm paid on leave - I'm constantly shocked and disappointed by the other leave details I read about.

#11 ·
Add me to the have to work until the baby arrives camp. With budget cuts, my hours currently at 30/ week, and the fact I'm the sole household provided, I put in to work until the 8th. I have enough leave time save that with our holidays, I'm hoping to be off until the first week of February.

#12 ·
Ugh, my midwives just told me that I need to stop working at 30 weeks! I don't think we can do that financially, but I know I can go part time any time I need to. I've had a crazy week full of junk food and stress and doing too much since we were moving into our new house and I got all swollen which gave them a red flag at 28 weeks. Can I say ugh again?
smile.gif

I think I'll call my boss and take the rest of the week off and try to get the swelling down and rest. Ugh!

#14 ·
I also am Canadian and feel for all you ladies with limited or no maternity time. Obviously you've got to do what you've got to do - so good luck!

Even with our extended maternity leave - there seems to be the same pressure to work right up to the end unless you have a very physical job that doesn't allow for this or a medical condition.

I have been working full-time and doing my Masters full-time for the past 3 years. Life has been very busy and demanding!

My work load as a domestic violence counsellor right now fluctuates - sometimes it's light and easy and other times it's very stressful. I'm trying to convince my self to take my leave 3-4 weeks before the due date because well....I can. Life is not all about working and accumulating wealth....right?

Anyone want to help convince me to take this extra time off for myself
luxlove.gif
??

#15 ·
I think it's a good idea to take around 2 weeks off before your due date. Too much more time than that and you'll likely get bored. It's just enough time to relax, organize and read a good book. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSwims View Post

I also am Canadian and feel for all you ladies with limited or no maternity time. Obviously you've got to do what you've got to do - so good luck!

Even with our extended maternity leave - there seems to be the same pressure to work right up to the end unless you have a very physical job that doesn't allow for this or a medical condition.

I have been working full-time and doing my Masters full-time for the past 3 years. Life has been very busy and demanding!

My work load as a domestic violence counsellor right now fluctuates - sometimes it's light and easy and other times it's very stressful. I'm trying to convince my self to take my leave 3-4 weeks before the due date because well....I can. Life is not all about working and accumulating wealth....right?

Anyone want to help convince me to take this extra time off for myself
luxlove.gif
??

#16 ·
I run a family child care in my home and have been questioning this topic for a while. Last pregnancy I waited until the day I went into labor, but then I was calling all the parents between contractions and it ended up being a little stressful. I only took a week off with no extra kids, then I slowly added more kids over the next two weeks. This time I think I want to take more time, but am worried about losing families/income. I don't really know what to do. I don't get paid for the time I take off, and financially we can't really afford for me to take too much time off. I need to figure out a plan within the next month so I can notify the families that rely on me to care for their children. Any ideas?

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleh99 View Post

I run a family child care in my home and have been questioning this topic for a while. Last pregnancy I waited until the day I went into labor, but then I was calling all the parents between contractions and it ended up being a little stressful. I only took a week off with no extra kids, then I slowly added more kids over the next two weeks. This time I think I want to take more time, but am worried about losing families/income. I don't really know what to do. I don't get paid for the time I take off, and financially we can't really afford for me to take too much time off. I need to figure out a plan within the next month so I can notify the families that rely on me to care for their children. Any ideas?
It might not be ideal, but could you hire a helper to take care of the kids so you get a bit more of a break and the parents still have childcare & won't leave? It would be reduced income for you, but at least secure your clients so they're not having to scramble to find decent care for a few weeks or a month.

#18 ·
Hmmm..seems like I am the odd one out here. I am pregnant with my second baby. I'm a lawyer so have a pretty stressful job and there are lots of things to transition, hopefully smoothly so that I can actually take some time away from the office. I'm Canadian but I'm not going to be able to take a full year due to the committments of my practice. With my first, I planned to take a year and so ended around 36 weeks. I am so glad that I did. I could not have worked another day and I was getting all sort of early labour signs and symptoms. These calmed down a little once I finished work but my daughter still arrived at 38 weeks. So, I am inclined to leave around the same time with this baby. My midwives are saying that there is a reasonable chance of an early delivery again and I am thinking that having some extra time to spend with my daughter before the baby arrives will be a good thing. I will probably plan to transition things around 36/37 weeks and then if I'm feeling great and the baby is staying put, perhaps I'll stay for longer.

I do believe that you need to be mentally prepared to have a baby and finishing up work and getting settled is all part of that. I don't think that going into labour at works starts things off on a very good foot. I can imagine my brain saying "you can't have this baby now, you still have X, Y and Z to finish"... My midwives are quite keen on moms finishing around 36 weeks and they strongly urged me to finish early the first time around.

Good luck with the decision making everyone!

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcacat View Post

My midwives are quite keen on moms finishing around 36 weeks and they strongly urged me to finish early the first time around.

Good luck with the decision making everyone!
It seems like my midwives are the same way, wanting everyone to take off early, but it just seems SO early! Especially having worked til over 41 weeks last time and thinking this baby will be here after my due date anyhow.

#20 ·
In response to mleh99: I liked the idea of hiring someone to maintain your business while you take your maternity leave - I guess that still means you'll have youngins running around the house though....Hm.... could you also put away 100-200$ dollars a month for Sept and Oct which can provide you with some "income" for the time that you take off?

#21 ·
I would like to work up until the end but I'm starting my leave unpaid at 37 weeks because it is also marks my son who passed aways first birthday as well as anniversary of the day he died and day we buried him in the following week and I think I'll need that time off anyway. Because I do childcare I don't think its fair to ask to take a week off and then work another week or two and then take my leave. I think the weeks leading up to the birth might a be crazy emotional time anyway.

#22 ·
I would like to work up until the end but I'm starting my leave unpaid at 37 weeks because it is also marks my son who passed aways first birthday as well as anniversary of the day he died and day we buried him in the following week and I think I'll need that time off anyway. Because I do childcare I don't think its fair to ask to take a week off and then work another week or two and then take my leave. I think the weeks leading up to the birth might a be crazy emotional time anyway.

#23 ·

#24 ·

#26 ·
Well, I just just interviewed for two jobs--one today and one last week, LOL--so I have no idea yet! The job I think I'm gonna get is a really awesome one, very mother- and breastfeeding-friendly
joy.gif
I'm excited!

As for my freelance work, I'm not going to schedule any art events past Halloween--really I think even Halloween might be pushing my sanity limits, but that's my favorite holiday!
orngtongue.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.