3rd baby shower? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm really lucky to have a family that is just as excited about my 3rd baby as they were for my first.  A few months ago there had been some mention of my aunt and cousin throwing me a baby shower in September- nobody ever said anything again, and I never brought it up.  Im just REALLY unsure how I feel about it!

I feel SUPER lucky to have such a supportive family who wants to celebrate with me, but then I feel like some people might think its tacky to have a 3rd baby shower.  Most of my husbands family has asked when the shower was, only one expressed that she thought I shouldn't have one.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?  Any etiquette tips?

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 09:40 AM

I can't really can't be of any help unfortunately since this is our first baby.  I find myself on the opposite end of that spectrum.  We have only lived here for 2 years, I don't have that many friends (just 1 really), and we live on the other side of the country from my in laws, and the other side of the world from my family :(  (Living on Vancouver Island, Canada and I am originally from South Africa) So I am pretty sure I am not having a shower - but I was thinking of doing a "Meet the Baby" openhouse day where everyone can come over to meet the little babe, but gifts aren't necessary.  Just a meet and greet pretty much, with coffee/tea/cake supplied etc.  I saw someone mention that on this forum somewhere and thought it would be a good idea to have people over on a certain day that want to see the babe...

Congrats on your baby and good luck with figuring your shower details out :):)

luxlove.gif

http://novelstudies.org - My hubby's website for affordable novel-studies for kids.

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Most people see having another baby shower as tacky, but that's if the mom is throwing it for herself. I had a few people offer to throw me a shower for my DD, but I told them no, because in our family more than one baby shower is bad luck.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 AM

I think a meet and greet would be fun, or you could do a Mother's Blessing instead of a baby shower.  Everyone could bring something for you for during labor (each person brings a bead to be made into a necklace or bracelet worn during labor.... At mine I am having everyone bring a "prayer flag" with an inspirational quote written on the back- I'll sew them into a banner to hang during labor.)  I'm also having a henna artist paint my belly! So fun!  At the mother's blessing it's more about celebrating and empowering you for the transition into labor and motherhood (in your case, into a family of 5) so the focus is on you instead of the baby (hence no baby gifts).  

Old 08-22-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

My aunt is very traditional...she already has invitations, and asked me to register.  Its all going to be everything a "baby shower" usually is.  I'm sure if I suggested a blessing she would think I was a crazy person, as would everybody on my DH's side of the family.  Haha.  I made a registry but made it a point to only register for a few things, and all under $25. 

Old 08-22-2011, 02:08 PM

I totally understand :)  I thought blessings sounded a little kooky at first too.  We registered for this one (#2) as well- I found mostly what I registered for were replacement items (like washcloths to replace the ratty ones from DS1) and postpartum stuff for me :)  Yay for Earth Mama Angel Baby postpartum kits!  biggrinbounce.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

My aunt is very traditional...she already has invitations, and asked me to register.  Its all going to be everything a "baby shower" usually is.  I'm sure if I suggested a blessing she would think I was a crazy person, as would everybody on my DH's side of the family.  Haha.  I made a registry but made it a point to only register for a few things, and all under $25. 

Old 08-22-2011, 04:06 PM

How lucky you are to have such amazing and supportive family. People who don't have children may think second or more baby showers are tacky but I think they are totally effective. Why should one baby be celebrated and not the others? You still need things for a new baby!!!! No matter if it's your first or tenth! The need for diapers, wipes, burp cloths, a double stroller, car seat, etc... never changes. Our family wouldn't have a shower for our second and it hurt me alot because it felt like he wasn't wanted. Which some people made it clear that he wasn't! Which was more hurtful than anything. It wasn't that I wanted more things but there were things we needed. When you have your first, people buy frivolous items unregistered for that are un-necessary and NO ONE ever includes a gift receipt so you can get what you need! Some ideas of things we would use with our first changed with our second:: ie-crib use, cloth diapers, breast pump replacement pieces, etc... It's just thoughtful for people to do something. We won't have anything for our third either...family has decided it's still too much burden to think we should be having another child! Unless it was a girl...It's sad! All of my children are a blessing and deserve to be celebrated!! We do register so that we can get the discounts on items we need. Our swing and double stroller were great items we need and some other small things that have come out or that we need to replace--swaddling muslin, baby proofing items, newborn diapers/wipes, etc...Then you get discounts from Target and Babies R Us for 10% off or so. Awesome that your family is so thoughtful and thinks so wonderfully of your growing family!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I've never had a baby shower..  SOMEONE HAD BETTER THROW ME ONE THIS TIME!  Ha ha..  My best friend offered on her own and my MIL also suggested that I should get one too.  I think it's actually going to happen this time around.  Yay!  I think it's totally fine and that you should go for shower #3! 

I agree with what some of the other people have said.  Each baby should be celebrated and I would be totally happy going to someone's 3rd or 15th baby shower. 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

I've never had a baby shower..  SOMEONE HAD BETTER THROW ME ONE THIS TIME!  Ha ha..  My best friend offered on her own and my MIL also suggested that I should get one too.  I think it's actually going to happen this time around.  Yay!  I think it's totally fine and that you should go for shower #3! 

I agree with what some of the other people have said.  Each baby should be celebrated and I would be totally happy going to someone's 3rd or 15th baby shower. 

Me too! Well, I did have one with my nine year old. Nothing with the six year old, which is fine. I would LOVE one this time. I just don't know that it is going to happen without me mentioning it to someone, which seems tacky. Oh well. 

And ITA that I would be happy to go to any number baby shower!

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkseawell View Post

How lucky you are to have such amazing and supportive family. People who don't have children may think second or more baby showers are tacky but I think they are totally effective. Why should one baby be celebrated and not the others? You still need things for a new baby!!!! No matter if it's your first or tenth! The need for diapers, wipes, burp cloths, a double stroller, car seat, etc... never changes. .... We won't have anything for our third either...family has decided it's still too much burden to think we should be having another child!

Yep, ITA!  And it's the same for us... there will be no shower and probably no gifts even though things have worn out by this third baby.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

You guys made me feel much better :) Thank you!

User Tag List