Spotlight on TalkToMeNow (Amanda) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is the Spotlight Thread for TalkToMeNow (Amanda)

Amanda, please copy the questions below into a new post and bold them.  Answer them as you feel comfortable, adding any extra information you'd like to share.

DDC members, please feel free to comment and add your own questions to keep the conversation going!

1. How did you choose your screen name?

2. Where do you live?  Where were you born?

3. What is one of your favorite books?

4.  What was the last fun purchase you made?

5.  What is one of your favorite go to recipes?

6.  If you could visit anywhere in the world where would you go and why?

7.  What are your plans for this birth?

8.  What is your current job?  What did you do pre-motherhood?

9.  What is one thing you like to do in your free time?

10. What is one thing you plan on doing differently with this baby?  What's one thing you'll do the same?

We look forward to getting to know you better!  smile.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#2 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 PM

1. How did you choose your screen name?

It's the title of my favorite old Ani DiFranco song.

2. Where do you live?  Where were you born?

I live in Tucker, GA. It's a suburb of Atlanta. I was born in Alexandria,Va and moved a lot as a little kid. We settled in Metro Atlanta when I was 8 and I've been here ever since. I don't plan on leaving- I love Atlanta!

3. What is one of your favorite books?

I can't name just one. My favorite authors are James Joyce, J.D. Salinger, George Orwell, Katherine Mansfield, Kate Chopin, Flannery O'Connor, Jhumpa Lahiri... I'll stop. But I do read plenty of fluff! Right now I'm working my way through Agatha Christie's entire catalog. I'm currently on my 24th. 

4.  What was the last fun purchase you made?

Wow... I actually had to look back through my bank account to figure this one out. I got a pedicure and bought a book for my Kindle back in mid-July. It was my birthday. 

5.  What is one of your favorite go to recipes?

Even if I haven't been shopping in a week and a half and have nothing in the fridge, I can always come up with something made out of rice, beans, tomatoes, and spices. 

6.  If you could visit anywhere in the world where would you go and why?

I really don't know. Maybe Paris? For the museums.

7.  What are your plans for this birth?

I'm having a hospital birth with a great midwife only practice. I've had two natural, no intervention births, so I assume this will go the same way. 

8.  What is your current job?  What did you do pre-motherhood?

I'm staying at home right now. I am working part-time online, but am mostly being a mom. Up until May, I was a high school English teacher. I also stayed home with my 9 and 6 year olds for five years. 

9.  What is one thing you like to do in your free time?

Read and knit. That's two. :)

10. What is one thing you plan on doing differently with this baby?  What's one thing you'll do the same?

Differently: I will be more relaxed. I used to think if I used a pacifier/ put the baby down/ used ANY baby gear, etc I was a horrible mom. This time I'm going let some of those ideals go. 

The same: I will still use cloth diapers, breastfeed exclusively, and cosleep. 

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#3 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 PM

I thought that's where your screen name came from... love.gif  Nice to know more about you!

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

#4 of 6 Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

When I was reading your list of favorite authors, I was thinking to myself, she must be an English major!  I don't know any other type of person that actually likes James Joyce!  lol.gif    I practically died reading A Portrait of an Artist As a Young Man.   surrender.gifBut I did thoroughly enjoy 1984, Interpreter of Maladies, and The Namesake

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#5 of 6 Old 08-24-2011, 03:45 PM

I was an English major!  :)  And I went to grad school for a bit... I wanted to be a professor. My focus was Modern British literature. I wrote my thesis on Ulysses. Portrait is my least favorite Joyce! You need to read Lahiri's most recent, Unaccustomed Earth. It is her best yet, in my opinion. 

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#6 of 6 Old 08-24-2011, 05:01 PM

I was an English major, too! orngbiggrin.gif

But it didn't leave me with much love for Joyce. I had to memorize passages from Finnegan's Wake and recite them for one of my classes. And after that, I was glad to never think about Joyce again. I thought about continuing school to become a professor, too. I particularly liked 19th Century American lit. But there weren't any masters programs for that close to me. And I didn't want to move out of state. So now I'm just planning to force quality literature on my children. wink1.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page