They Just Don't Think! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 08-24-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let's talk about how tactical men are about making comments about our changing bodies, shall we?

Last night, I'm getting ready to leave to grab twin size sheets for the new bunk bed we got for our DS and DD. I'm slipping my leg into my pants and stub my toe, to which I say "OW!" Then DH turns to me and says(I can't remember EXACTLY what he said, but this is about the jist of it) "did your pants hurt you? Are you too big to fit in them now?" Umm.....WHAT? lol I finished putting my pants on and just looked at him like seriously? You just said that. And he stood there, like a fish out of water, trying to backpedal and make me feel better about what he'd just said. Gah! Why don't men just shut up if they're gonna say stuff like that?

Any other tactless males out there? I need a pick me up, cuz my legs are obviously swelling past what my pants can hold.

#2 of 32 Old 08-24-2011, 06:16 AM

DDCC.  not to laugh at your plight but thats a funny one!  are your pants hurting you!  you should lie in bed in a few days with your pants half on and play like you are severely injured and when he walks in or askas whats wrong be like "gasp call an ambulance i cant get up my pants are killing me" or something to that extent.  i find the best retalitation is in being as s aracastically playful as i can manage without cracking a smile :)

heartbeat.gifMomma to baby boy Ember.babyf.gifborn at home 12/22/11.  Madly loving his daddy Thimble guitar.gif since 6/26/09. 

#3 of 32 Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

OMFG I have tears rolling down my face I was laughing so hard! hahaha That's great. It was kinda funny, at the time but your comment made it that much better. LOL

#4 of 32 Old 08-24-2011, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

About 3 days after I had my DD my father stopped by to see the new baby.  One of the first things he said was point to my belly and say, "are you sure you don't have another one in there"?  My step mom about stepped on his toe.  My dad, he's a great guy, but he seriously didn't think! 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#5 of 32 Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 AM

Every once in a while, dp looks at me and says, "Wow... your ass is getting really big!" Apparently, this is supposed to be a compliment. For some reason, I don't take it as such. Go figure. 

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#6 of 32 Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I hadn't seen DH for a few weeks like a month ago and when he saw me he said "WOW, you're getting HUGE!" And when I looked at him like WTH! he said "what? It was a compliment!" LOL

#7 of 32 Old 08-24-2011, 08:53 AM

My DH always says, "You sure do look pregnant today!" And I always laugh and go, "Are you calling me FAT?!?!".

Me: read.gif, DH: jammin.gif, Two cat.gif, Two dog2.gif, DS: babyboy.gif (10/31/11), DD: babygirl.gif (9/17/13). blowkiss.gif

dizzy.gifcaffix.gifbiglaugh.giffaint.gif

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

#8 of 32 Old 08-24-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Nicole, what does he say after that? That is the most important part. lol

#9 of 32 Old 08-24-2011, 06:23 PM

He always just goes, "Shutup. You know what I mean!" He's very, very good at watching what he says to not offend me because he knows how sensitive I am right now.

Me: read.gif, DH: jammin.gif, Two cat.gif, Two dog2.gif, DS: babyboy.gif (10/31/11), DD: babygirl.gif (9/17/13). blowkiss.gif

dizzy.gifcaffix.gifbiglaugh.giffaint.gif

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

#10 of 32 Old 08-24-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

LOL DH always feels bad and says "Sorry, I was just jokin!" He's such a big goof. He jokes around all the time.

#11 of 32 Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 PM

My husband and I are always joking about my "beer belly" or how I "must have eaten too much" which is fine, but I can't stand when he looks at me and just says, "That's a BIG boy!".  Umm...yeah...especially when I am changing clothes or when I climb into bed (I've been sleeping in a "night" bra and panties)....I'm still ME in here and I want to feel beautiful not giant...

I don't feel that I'm being all that sensitive, but I am a little bit done with the gasps and gawks when I walk into a room and how that is the first thing every single person notices and comments on.  Don't get me wrong, it's kind of fun, too, because I know I won't be pregnant forever, and not likely again--and at least I'm not getting the "Wait, you're pregnant?!" remarks....but still, it's difficult feeling like you fade into the woodwork.

#12 of 32 Old 08-25-2011, 06:51 PM

My husband jokes a lot too, but I know he's just being silly.  I think it's good to keep in mind that a lot of men can't help but find their pregnant ladies SO attractive- What's not to love?  They sowed their seed and that makes them feel like men.  I had a boss during my last pregnancy who said "I can see why I ended up having 6 kids"  I asked what he meant and he said pregnant women just have this aura about them that is very attractive.  Now, it was a little weird that he was talking about me, but I know from talking with my husband that he thinks I look amazing and that he is still very much attracted... even though I feel like a blimp.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersbyjasmin View Post

My husband and I are always joking about my "beer belly" or how I "must have eaten too much" which is fine, but I can't stand when he looks at me and just says, "That's a BIG boy!".  Umm...yeah...especially when I am changing clothes or when I climb into bed (I've been sleeping in a "night" bra and panties)....I'm still ME in here and I want to feel beautiful not giant...

I don't feel that I'm being all that sensitive, but I am a little bit done with the gasps and gawks when I walk into a room and how that is the first thing every single person notices and comments on.  Don't get me wrong, it's kind of fun, too, because I know I won't be pregnant forever, and not likely again--and at least I'm not getting the "Wait, you're pregnant?!" remarks....but still, it's difficult feeling like you fade into the woodwork.

#13 of 32 Old 08-26-2011, 08:22 PM

I guess I'm lucky. DH just mentions how sexy I look pregnant. I think part of it is that now is when I *FEEL* the best about how I look- when I'm big, round, and pregnant. He has told me I'm much bigger this pregnancy compared to the others. And he's right! Even though each pregnancy has started around roughly the same weight, I look now at 27 weeks how I looked in my 33 week picture with DD3 (who is 17 months right now). Yet another reason I'm hoping that my body remembers it tends to cook baby's fast and sticks with that pattern. If I wind up with a 42 week pregnancy, I will have to be rolled everywhere!

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#14 of 32 Old 08-27-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamama View Post

I guess I'm lucky. DH just mentions how sexy I look pregnant. I think part of it is that now is when I *FEEL* the best about how I look- when I'm big, round, and pregnant. He has told me I'm much bigger this pregnancy compared to the others. And he's right! Even though each pregnancy has started around roughly the same weight, I look now at 27 weeks how I looked in my 33 week picture with DD3 (who is 17 months right now). Yet another reason I'm hoping that my body remembers it tends to cook baby's fast and sticks with that pattern. If I wind up with a 42 week pregnancy, I will have to be rolled everywhere!

You must be lucky! Or he is, because he doesn't get the stink eye for making stupid comments. lol

#15 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Yesterday I was apparently taking a bit too long to get ready to leave house so dh says to the kids, "We need to wait for Chubs."  Nice.  I laugh that stuff off mostly, but what really gets me is the supposed teasing about how hard it is for me to do things now that I'm getting bigger.  For example, bending down to pick food off the floor that has been thrown there by the kids.  Or doing the dishes b/c my belly gets in the way of the counter and ends up soaking wet.  Or walking around the farmer's market and then the grocery store (I get nauseated still if I walk too long).  Or walking up our long flight of stairs to go change ds' diaper.  Or, possibly the worst, not wanting to take the kids on certain outings by myself b/c they are simply too taxing.  Running after ds is exhausting and carrying/wearing him is worse.  So I'm sorry if I don't feel like going to the DMV without back up.  Ugh.

This is a little different, but along similar lines... dh would much rather grab my boobs than put his hands on my belly and feel the baby kicking.  I basically have to force him to feel the baby.  I guess it's old hat by the third time around?  But seriously, back rub?  Foot rub?   Yes!   Boob grab?  No thanks.  I wondered at first if he though it was making me feel sexy, but honestly I think he just wants to grab my larger, pregnant breasts.  My body is aching and sore.  It would love some attention.  Not sexual- just nice pampering attention.  Is that so much to ask?

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#16 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

This is a little different, but along similar lines... dh would much rather grab my boobs than put his hands on my belly and feel the baby kicking.  I basically have to force him to feel the baby.  I guess it's old hat by the third time around?  But seriously, back rub?  Foot rub?   Yes!   Boob grab?  No thanks.  I wondered at first if he though it was making me feel sexy, but honestly I think he just wants to grab my larger, pregnant breasts.  My body is aching and sore.  It would love some attention.  Not sexual- just nice pampering attention.  Is that so much to ask?

This is also a case of male idiocrisy. lol Does he make a honking noise when he grabs them? DH did that the other day and I gave him a funny look and he was like "what? They're bigger, it's like they're begging for attention." haha

#17 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 AM

Luckily my DH is pretty respectful in this area, but he certainly isn't as interested in feeling the baby this time around.  It's not that he won't, he just doesn't do it on his own. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#18 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Today at the grocery store a male employee asked me if I was due really soon.  I said, "no, not for another 3 months" and he replied with, "oh, you must be deceptively large then".   Uh, how does one even respond to that statement?  I just stared at him with a puzzled face and walked away.

#19 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

Today at the grocery store a male employee asked me if I was due really soon.  I said, "no, not for another 3 months" and he replied with, "oh, you must be deceptively large then".   Uh, how does one even respond to that statement?  I just stared at him with a puzzled face and walked away.

"And you just made yourself look like a socially awkward ass." That's what I would have said.

#20 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 PM

lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

"And you just made yourself look like a socially awkward ass." That's what I would have said.

#21 of 32 Old 09-02-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote originally posted by Jaimee:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd love for my husband to be randomly grabbing my boobs more. LOL. I'm loving my pregnant boobs so much, I feel sexier than ever in that regard! And sorry if this is TMI, but they're more sensitive than ever in a good way during intimacy. I want them to stay bigger forever! I was just a small B before on a rather large frame and now I'm enjoying a C. joy.gif LOVE IT~ lol

My hubby doesn't really try to feel the baby move either unless he happens to be sitting next to me while I start to try feeling her move, then he sometimes gets the idea in his head and puts his hand there. But otherwise it's never anything he seeks out. If she's kicking a lot then I'll grab his hand and make him feel, LOL. He is too impatient to wait in between kicks so I try to give him a heads up during times she's really active.

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#22 of 32 Old 09-03-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Joanie, you're lucky, about how sensitive yours have been. Ever since I started leaking, they have lost alot of feeling. I don't like my boobs being above a C cup, because I would like to for ONCE buy a cute matching set of undies with a bra. They almost NEVER come in anything bigger than a C cup. irked.gif

#23 of 32 Old 09-03-2011, 06:04 PM

Should my boobs be leaking already at 30 weeks? I haven't had anything come out of them at all so far... Does that kind of thing just vary from person to person?

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#24 of 32 Old 09-03-2011, 06:25 PM

This is my third pregnancy, and I've never leaked while pregnant. (Those first few months, though - holy moly!) I can hand express a tiny bit of colostrum right now, but I think that is only because I am still nursing a toddler. I could never even get that much the other two times. It really just varies from woman to woman, and is no indication of whether you will have supply issues once baby is born!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

Should my boobs be leaking already at 30 weeks? I haven't had anything come out of them at all so far... Does that kind of thing just vary from person to person?

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#25 of 32 Old 09-03-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

It varies with every person and every pregnancy. With my first, I didn't start leaking until 35 weeks. With my 2nd, I didn't leak until 25 weeks. This time, I started leaking at 24 weeks.

#26 of 32 Old 09-03-2011, 08:12 PM

I don't "leak" necessarily, but I can see dried colostrum on the nipple as well as in my bras.

#27 of 32 Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 PM

Yup, I don't leak during pregnancy either.  I'm also still nursing (once a day) and can hardly express one drop of clear fluid.  Once my milk come in though I produce enough to feed 2 or 3 babies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesh933 View Post

This is my third pregnancy, and I've never leaked while pregnant. (Those first few months, though - holy moly!) I can hand express a tiny bit of colostrum right now, but I think that is only because I am still nursing a toddler. I could never even get that much the other two times. It really just varies from woman to woman, and is no indication of whether you will have supply issues once baby is born!

#28 of 32 Old 09-03-2011, 09:58 PM

I'm the same way.

Quote:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd love for my husband to be randomly grabbing my boobs more. LOL. I'm loving my pregnant boobs so much, I feel sexier than ever in that regard! And sorry if this is TMI, but they're more sensitive than ever in a good way during intimacy. I want them to stay bigger forever! I was just a small B before on a rather large frame and now I'm enjoying a C. joy.gif LOVE IT~ lol

#29 of 32 Old 09-04-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:

My hubby doesn't really try to feel the baby move either unless he happens to be sitting next to me while I start to try feeling her move, then he sometimes gets the idea in his head and puts his hand there. But otherwise it's never anything he seeks out. If she's kicking a lot then I'll grab his hand and make him feel, LOL. He is too impatient to wait in between kicks so I try to give him a heads up during times she's really active.

Yeah, I don't mind the extra attention too much, although I am very self conscious about my breasts.  I was a C before my first and I've been a G or bigger ever since (continuously nursing or pregnant).  I feel so floppy  and huge and UGH.  I can't even buy bras at a regular store because I'm a 32 band, and I either wear shirts out across the breasts, (seriously, the fabric deteriorates) or I look like I'm wearing a sack.

Dh isn't into the baby kicking, never was with any of them, so I just grab his hand to feel her kicking when she's active and pretend excitement for both of us.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#30 of 32 Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:

I was an A or small B before my first two. I was a C going into this pregnancy and I was happy with that. Now I'm a D and growing fast. I have decided that anything over a C is not for me! I actually get marks on my shoulders and around my chest from my bras. Plus, boob sweat. What is up with that? How did I not know that when they get bigger, there is sweating?! I freakin hate it!  Ahh!!! 

Also, I just realized that stores don't sell bigger than a D cup. What's up with that? Okay, so I suppose this is an example of smaller boobed privilege that I've gone so long without noticing this, but still. I guess for my next bra (which I'll probably need in a few weeks) I just have to order online and hope it fits.

Oh, and more on topic, dp loves my boobs. So at least that's a perk! 

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page